6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by the96stang
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

100_5640.JPG
    100_4683.JPG
    GL_upper_PF2.png

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

QUESTION
    What 4-flipper game meets the following criteria?
    1. has its own dedicated UPPER playfield with multiple targets?
    2. the flippers are spaced close together "just like" a typical lower playfield?

This means I am not looking for pins where the flippers are a foot apart in two random spots like JD or TZ, where you cannot pass the ball from flipper to flipper.

I recently picked up a Grand Lizard, and I am blown away with how much fun it is to have an upper playfield where you have multiple targets.

Are there any other pins built with an upper PF layout like GL?

BEST (18) UPPER PLAYFIELDS with 2 flippers close together just like a lower PF
    ---
    Banzai Run
    Big Guns
    Black Knight
    Circus
    Devil Riders
    Family Guy
    Farfalla
    Genie
    Grand Lizard
    Jungle Lord
    Lightning
    Medusa
    Pharaoh
    Popeye
    Solar Fire
    Split Second
    WPT
    WWFRR

-MOF GL_upper_PF2.png

#2 6 years ago

Pharaoh has a totally nutty Upper Playfield. 6 drops, 2 saucers, captive ball, target...

Around 1:40ish

EDIT: Solar Fire is good also.

#3 6 years ago

Swords of fury is one. My friend is going crazy trying to find one.

#4 6 years ago

WWFRR

One of the BEST uppers!

#5 6 years ago

WPT has a set upper, Genie is one like that also but it is on the same plane as the main pf ( it has 7 drop targets), TSPP the flippers are apart but the couch is a great shot to hit, Hollywood heat I believe has a second set playfield also

#6 6 years ago

and one could include family guy as a mini upper playfield, it is a nice setup with five shots to hit but some don't like it.

#7 6 years ago

Stewie pf is awesome!!! But it needs the right settings in the adjustments menu so there's a balance of play control between the regular pf and mini pf.

#8 6 years ago

I think the stewie pin is fun. WPT is kind of neat but it's sheer bareness keeps it far away from this list.

#9 6 years ago

Tie: BK2K and Solar Fire.

#11 6 years ago

Split Second

#13 6 years ago

black knight

#15 6 years ago

WWFRR's is definitely one of the better ones where you can get in a real pinball groove on, not just a novelty flip around, and it has the three objectives...loops, drops, captured ball. Also has the Exit the Ring shot when applicable.

#16 6 years ago

Yeah I'd have to say FGY and WWF..."Get back in the ring!"

"Ooooooooh yeahhhhhhhhh!" -Mach
    "Hoooooooooo! Hacksaw Jim Duggan

#18 6 years ago

Devil riders

#19 6 years ago

I have a really nice BK, but I have to admit Grand Lizard is more fun to play. Love those jungle sounds! Someone should do an upgrade for the plastic lizard head, though.

#20 6 years ago

I like Black Knight's, but that Shadow I sold to kwiKi has a pretty cool upper playfield.

#21 6 years ago

You left out F-14

#22 6 years ago

C'mon FGY has a damn pinball machine as the upper playfield, it's the clear winner.

I own a TSPP & WWR. Ya those upper playfields are cool but dude a mini Gomez fan layout inside a Lawlor triple flipper cross shot machine is redonk.

#23 6 years ago

As WOZ225 said: "Popeye" has a great upper play field

#24 6 years ago

Black knight
    grand lizard
    and Medusa
    were the first that I could think of.

#25 6 years ago

How can anyone say Grand Lizard when it's just a copy of Solar Fire's upper play-feild?

#27 6 years ago

Jungle Lord gets no love...but I am biased! Getting the pin to say "YOU IN DOUBLE TROUBLE" makes me smile every time. Moreover, good luck keeping that ball in the upper playfield.

For the price, JL is my pic.

#28 6 years ago

Ditto.

TSPP make's great use of it’s upper playfield, integrating it into the game play (not just a gimmick). The TV and coudh are great ideas for the games theme.

#30 6 years ago

Stern Lightning is a great game that meets the criteria and hasn't been mentioned. It's insanely fast.

#31 6 years ago

+1 on that!

Quoted from gabegabegabe:

Stern Lightning is a great game that meets the criteria and hasn't been mentioned. It's insanely fast.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

How can anyone say Grand Lizard when it's just a copy of Solar Fire's upper play-feild?

Grand Lizard is basically a direct copy of Solar Fire (killer game!). Many folks here aren't into SS games. When people are voting WPT as best upper playfield.....oh my.

#33 6 years ago

For me:

1) TSPP, the TV to Couch Combo is fantastic.
    2) Flash Gordon. It's an exercise in futility but when you hit those drops or the skill you've really done something.
    3) Medusa, once you understand what you are shooting at/for.
    4) WPT, but I really like that game in general.
    5) IJ, which just goes to show that because I like it doesn't mean it's awesome!

-Wes

#34 6 years ago

Everything Is Lit!...BK2K

#35 6 years ago

I don't think TSPP upper is worth anything. It is just one dimensional >> hit shot A, followed by shot B.

Miss shot A, save it and try again for shot A. Miss shot B, just try again fro shot A.

Repetitive for me. Then again, I do not know TSPP very well so maybe I am missing something?

#37 6 years ago

Another vote for Black Knight. My personal favorite!

#38 6 years ago

Soon to be Woz

Looking forward to WPT

#39 6 years ago

If you are counting Family Guy, then you can also add Shrek. Eddie Murphy's Donkey Call outs are funny. He says something like "If I was designing this pinball machine I would give it more action, like adding more ramps, I'm just saying."

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I don't think TSPP upper is worth anything. It is just one dimensional >> hit shot A, followed by shot B.
    Miss shot A, save it and try again for shot A. Miss shot B, just try again fro shot A.
    Repetitive for me. Then again, I do not know TSPP very well so maybe I am missing something?

I know what you're saying, but there are 3 spots up there, as well. The biggest thing is to hit the mystery spot target to get the "clean the garage" reward. Depending on your settings, you also have to hit "light" and "lock" in order to get the balls to lock on the couch. On my machine, that's required after the first couch MB.

I think that upper PF plays really well, especially for how small it is. I should add that the real fun with TSPP's PF is during couch MB. I find it difficult to lock a ball on that couch for Super JP while juggling the other balls. It's a satisfying shot when you can get it.

I personally like wh20's upper, it feels very natural.

#41 6 years ago

definitely TSPP incredible game and has an upper playfield

#42 6 years ago

What about Gottlieb's Circus or Time Line?!? Genie, too!?!

WWF:RR's upper pf is great.

100_4683.JPG 100_5640.JPG

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from boris_37:

Swords of Fury is one. My friend is going crazy trying to find one.

That would be me. I seriously love the variety that SOF offers to play. Having an upper flipper on the left side in a contained area with drop targets, and then a side flipper off of that contained area, servicing the upper right (and open) play area is fantastic. The other thing that's nice about it, it isn't quite as simple as shooting the ball into the box and banging it around for a while, getting it onto the outside upper flipper isn't that easy.

So, anyone looking to sell one? hah

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

Grand Lizard is basically a direct copy of Solar Fire (killer game!). Many folks here aren't into SS games. When people are voting WPT as best upper playfield.....oh my.

I like WPT too...

Concerning zaccarias, I would not rate Devil riders very high. I prefer Pinball Champ and Farfalla, with their transparent upper PF.

Grand Lizard seems cool... never played it.

Neither Simpsons nor WOZ would qualify with your criteria, the way the flippers are set.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from marcand:

Jungle Lord gets no love...but I am biased! Getting the pin to say "YOU IN DOUBLE TROUBLE" makes me smile every time. Moreover, good luck keeping that ball in the upper playfield.
    For the price, JL is my pic.

Double Trouble! Great and unique feature, and it takes some hoop jumping to get, but when you get it the it's really game on!

#47 6 years ago

Genie and Grand Lizard/Solar Fire get my votes.

#48 6 years ago

My favorite is Devil Riders...

Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Ditto.
    TSPP make's great use of it’s upper playfield, integrating it into the game play (not just a gimmick). The TV and coudh are great ideas for the games theme.

AGREE!
    -TSPP's upper playfiled has a mystery shot, is the way to start couch multiball, gets progressively harder, depending on settings, where you have to hit the lock lights to lock balls after the first multiball. The couch shot is also the super jackpot and a place to park balls during Alien Invasion... There is certainly more than one dimension to TSPP's upper playfiled.

#49 6 years ago

TSPP, WH2O, and TS come to mind.

2 months later
    #50 6 years ago
    Quoted from OTTOgd:

What about Gottlieb's Circus or Time Line?!? Genie, too!?!
    WWF:RR's upper pf is great.

Time Line is great - simple objective whack down all the drops in 10 seconds IIRC. Best backglass bums as well

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.95
    $ 18.95
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 109.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 149.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside