Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ToucanF16
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4786 (resized).JPG
    FB_IMG_1543725804559 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1543725821103 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1543725835613 (resized).jpg
    20181104_113627 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Hi,
    I am wanting advice on throwing a pinball party for my friends. I've had a bit of a search, but can't find the info I'm after.
    I have 4 games, and have been playing a year or so. Some of my friends play at my house, but all of them are new to pinball.
    I would like a tournament/party for 15-20 people, but would like it to be fun for those that have never played, and there will be a bit of alcacol involved.
    What sort of tournament would work best?
    Games are: f.t, getaway, j.d and met.
    Thanks justin

#2 5 years ago

Get Keith Elwin’s awesome DVD “Pinball 101” and leave it playing on a loop. They’ll enjoy playing much more once they pick up some basic skills. And if they’re new to pinball, a tournament might not be the best idea. Unless it’s something like leaving the highest score for the night.

#3 5 years ago

3 strikes tournaments are fun. 2 player games and loser gets a strike. Get 3 strikes and you're out. You can use the Matchplay online software.

Split flipper (zen) tournament is a blast. That's where one person has one flipper button and another person has the other. You can just do single elimination bracket.

Dollar games. 4 people throw $1.00 on the game and the winner gets all the money. You keep playing until your friends are broke or pissed off at you.

#4 5 years ago

#1 feedback I get from my “non-pinball” friends that don’t have fun is that they didn’t enjoy playing because they don’t know what they’re doing. Anything you can do to explain the rules and a few basic skills will help with that.

#5 5 years ago

Group match play - so that everybody gets to play in every round. With Strike tournaments, the lesser players wash out early and that's not as much fun.

Use matchplay.events and have it run a group mach play tournament of however many rounds you think they'd go for.

#6 5 years ago

I second the Group Match Play idea. Strike tournaments are not fun for newer players.

I know because sometimes they are not fun for me when I’m playing like crap!

#7 5 years ago

This explains how the Zen tournament works in a nutshell.

John

#8 5 years ago

Split flipper all the way. They will be laughing their ass off.

#9 5 years ago

Just tell them to press start. Since they are new, they will enjoy flipping. Act as a "mentor" and tell the players the easy part of the rules as they step up to each game. Getting them to multiball will give them an objective and once they get multiball, they'll enjoy that aspect of it.

#10 5 years ago

Split flipper was a pretty big hit here in our area. In fact, the Grand Ole Gameroom Expo in Nashville (next weekend!) has a casual split flipper tournament on Friday night just to have a friendly time.

#11 5 years ago

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I think a split flipper sounds like it would be a great for the first party, aproacable for those that have never played and maybe just post the highest score on the other games. I may do $5 entry with prizes for winners etc.
    I like the idea of a tutorial DVD running nearby aswell.
    Would fish tales and metallica be the best choices for split flipper, as they are 2 flipper games vs getaway and j.d. being 3 and 4 flipper games?

#12 5 years ago

Fish Tales is the best. You can each shoot the boat ramp essentially passing the ball to the other person. Left flipper person for locks and lighting the boat. Right flipper person for monster fish and jackpots. So each person is responsible for something. Not like BoP where the person on the left does nothing.

#13 5 years ago

I'll third that "Match play" remark and no strike play or you'll just have a bunch of people lose interest when they are waiting around for the others to finish. I do a monthly party that ranges from new players to tournament players. And can say no matter how good or bad you are people like to think they can win money. Even if it's just a few bucks. But you won't get many new or newer players in on that dollar a game deal. Save that for the end of the night when it's just your top players that want to keep playing. What we do. Depending on how many people show up. I get anywhere from 8 to 32 people show up. The more people you have the less rounds you want to play and the more money you will need in the pot. Here is an example. 8 to 10 people show. We all put 2 bucks in the pot. Play a 7 round match play, 4 player tourny. We then take the top 4 players and play one final playoff game. Winner takes all. If there are 12 to 16 people we each throw $3 in the pot but this time we only play 5 rounds and have top 4 in a A division playoff game and then next 4 in B division playoff. A division get 2/3 of pot and B division gets 1/3 of pot. If more people show we raise the pot another buck and add in a C division that will be the bottom 4 players. Winnings go A division 1/2 of pot, B-1/4 and C=1/4. Everyone is happy and your guest are only spending a couple bucks.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from FuryosJustin:

Hi,
    I am wanting advice on throwing a pinball party for my friends. I've had a bit of a search, but can't find the info I'm after.
    I have 4 games, and have been playing a year or so. Some of my friends play at my house, but all of them are new to pinball.
    I would like a tournament/party for 15-20 people, but would like it to be fun for those that have never played, and there will be a bit of alcacol involved.
    What sort of tournament would work best?
    Games are: f.t, getaway, j.d and met.
    Thanks justin

You could ask your IFPA country director ...

If you’ve only got a few buddies coming around, you’ll have plenty of time to run a few events.

As stated, split flipper is fun .. especially if you have couples. But that won’t take too long.

I’d suggest a 3 strikes tournament - with 4 player games. 4 player games have a good sense of community, and the better players can show the new guys how to play the games, and some flipper skills. Tell the better guys to coach the new guys and help them out.

Top 2 players get a “win” and bottom two get a “loss”. If you only have a few people there (say less than 10-12) you can make it 5 strikes or whatever, and make it last longer for everyone.

You can easily set that up (and other comps) on Matchplay.events

If you need any help, bang me an email.

rd

#15 5 years ago

Stall Ball would be easy and fun for a party where folks mainly want to hang out. Line up everyone for a big game of stall ball and award a little prize, and those who enjoy it can play again after.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

Stall Ball would be easy and fun for a party where folks mainly want to hang out. Line up everyone for a big game of stall ball and award a little prize, and those who enjoy it can play again after.

Hmmm ... would that be any good for newbies though?

Stall ball presumes that you’d have the skill to know how to “stall” a ball ... and to be able to grasp the concept of doing that.

I’d suggest that’d be better for a group where the majority of people have played a little bit.

rd

#17 5 years ago

I think pin golf is the way to go for new players. You can set goals on each machine and explain how to do them.

MET start sparky MB

FT collect 6 boat ramps, or start MB

HS2 get to 4th gear

I’ve never owned DM, but you get my point.

If they are really new having something specific to try for is a good way to hook them.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from williams:

Split flipper was a pretty big hit here in our area. In fact, the Grand Ole Gameroom Expo in Nashville (next weekend!) has a casual split flipper tournament on Friday night just to have a friendly time.

Crap - wife and i just visited Nashville for a couple days LAST weekend.....

#19 5 years ago

For newbies anything other than playing straight pinball is too complicated.

You guys forget most people don’t even know how to play a game.

Pingolf? Requires skill and knowledge of the machine. Heck I get confused playing pingolf.

Get a grease board keep his scores and have prizes for that. Keep it very casual and don’t construct activities that force people to play. Let them enjoy it on their own terms and drink a lot of beer.

Out of 24 people you may get 3-4 that like it and want to play in the future.

#20 5 years ago

How about supplying a lot of beer?

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

For newbies anything other than playing straight pinball is too complicated.
    You guys forget most people don’t even know how to play a game.
    Pingolf? Requires skill and knowledge of the machine. Heck I get confused playing pingolf.
    Get a grease board keep his scores and have prizes for that. Keep it very casual and don’t construct activities that force people to play. Let them enjoy it on their own terms and drink a lot of beer.
    Out of 24 people you may get 3-4 that like it and want to play in the future.

After hosting a few such parties I have to agree with this. If you do do an organized event of some kind keep it short and have optional play the rest of the time.

#22 5 years ago

Group match play

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Stall ball presumes that you’d have the skill to know how to “stall” a ball ... and to be able to grasp the concept of doing that.

I guess it depends on the audience. After some warm up games, I think anyone could understand to put the ball in the scoop or the saucer and then hand it over to the next player and go to the back of the line before draining and leaving the line.

Worse case they drain, and join everyone else that drained over on the couch.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

After hosting a few such parties I have to agree with this. If you do do an organized event of some kind keep it short and have optional play the rest of the time.

I was going to go even simpler and say turn the games on, let people play as they please and explain a few basic goals to those that want to know more. I don't know many non-pinball people that would have the patience for a 20 person tournament and have to be committed all night. We do a Christmas party every year and only one of my other friends is really into pins. Other people will play them but I just turn everything on and let people come and go as they please. Most people seem to go "oh cool pinball!", play one or two games and then come back to the party. The less pressure the better IMO.

#25 5 years ago

Thank for the replies everyone. I had around 40 people here a month ago for my birthday, and the pins got heavy play all night. I was trying to mentor and explain the games, but I was kinda too drunk. We just had "write your best score on the whiteboard" A few mates said later we should have a more organized competition sometime for $$ to make it fun. About 8 of my friends play the tables at my house and are getting "into" pinball. I feel a split flipper will get the wives participating as well.
    I could then hold a short match play for those with some skills.
    I used to have a huge scalextrix set that we would have game nights on, $5 entry and $$ go to 1st 2nd and 3rd, was great fun.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

How about supplying a lot of beer?

I could and do do that...... I brew nice craft beer and cider at home, and there is a kegorator right nxt to the pins, there is a donation (koha) jar on top, my friends can drink as they like and give me money if they feel like it.

20181104_113627 (resized).jpg20181104_113627 (resized).jpg
    #27 5 years ago

Cocaine, good whiskey, Asian hookers and a few good buddies with great pinball machines. One night that comes to mind was my 4 lady bikini pinball competition. Me and my friend didn't play we just kinda watched, never have I minded watching pinball so much before I can tell you. The after competition after party is stuff of legend.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

One night that comes to mind was my 4 lady bikini pinball competition.

Where’s the pics?

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

You could ask your IFPA country director ...
    If you’ve only got a few buddies coming around, you’ll have plenty of time to run a few events.
    As stated, split flipper is fun .. especially if you have couples. But that won’t take too long.
    I’d suggest a 3 strikes tournament - with 4 player games. 4 player games have a good sense of community, and the better players can show the new guys how to play the games, and some flipper skills. Tell the better guys to coach the new guys and help them out.
    Top 2 players get a “win” and bottom two get a “loss”. If you only have a few people there (say less than 10-12) you can make it 5 strikes or whatever, and make it last longer for everyone.
    You can easily set that up (and other comps) on Matchplay.events
    If you need any help, bang me an email.
    rd

Thanks R.D.
    That's a very official title i will be sure to email if I need advice, altho I'm sure I already do my fair share of annoying emails to you asking for advice!

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Cocaine, good whiskey, Asian hookers and a few good buddies with great pinball machines. One night that comes to mind was my 4 lady bikini pinball competition. Me and my friend didn't play we just kinda watched, never have I minded watching pinball so much before I can tell you. The after competition after party is stuff of legend.

Ha ha, now that sounds like a PARTY

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from eagle18:

Where’s the pics?

Oh I have them but there not for this site. I believe during the STLE finals tops were removed and thats when the pictures started. The stuff after that is just for me. Sorry

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I was going to go even simpler and say turn the games on, let people play as they please and explain a few basic goals to those that want to know more. I don't know many non-pinball people that would have the patience for a 20 person tournament and have to be committed all night. We do a Christmas party every year and only one of my other friends is really into pins. Other people will play them but I just turn everything on and let people come and go as they please. Most people seem to go "oh cool pinball!", play one or two games and then come back to the party. The less pressure the better IMO.

This all the way. If players barely understand the rules of the game (or basic techniques), adding tournament rules may not help. Explaining a few tips for players who seem eager are fine, otherwise many players may just play one game or two, and may not even want to hear the 'right way' to play. If some players do want more of a tournament kinda thing, maybe set aside one machine, so other games can be still available to other players. Keeping it loose unless they want more structure might be the best way to go. Enjoy =)

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Pics or it didn't happen.

John

#34 5 years ago

I hold meets for those new to pinball over here in Australia regularly primarily for those who have either purchased a machine from me or know someone who is in the market for one.

The best meets for newbies are those that are kept simple with a relaxed atmosphere with no outside rigmarole or hoops to jump through.

Have a competition of sorts on the night but don't bother getting it sanctioned externally - it just complicates matters and you lose most of your autonomy on what is at the end of the day your private property and chattels.

Just a straightforward inhouse competition using one of the simpler formats suggested above.

If you want to make it challenging then offer prize money by charging a door entry and distribute it accordingly at the end of the night.

Stump up for food/catering out of your own pocket as an act of goodwill. Attendees will appreciate it more and positive word of mouth spreads.

Try and keep the alcohol as BYO minimal or discourage it. A lot of my meets are family freindly and it isn't out of place to see wives and kids attend without the environment that excessive alcohol consumption tends to bring. On that note have at least a couple of redemption machines on hand stocked with toys on freeplay for the kids who will inevitably get bored with the pins.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Pics or it didn't happen.

Look back a few posts.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

+1 on the Asian hookers!

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

3 strikes tournaments are fun. 2 player games and loser gets a strike. Get 3 strikes and you're out. You can use the Matchplay online software.
    Split flipper (zen) tournament is a blast. That's where one person has one flipper button and another person has the other. You can just do single elimination bracket.
    Dollar games. 4 people throw $1.00 on the game and the winner gets all the money. You keep playing until your friends are broke or pissed off at you.

3 strikes is fun. We did this at a get together prior to Expo. Had a blast!!

4 weeks later
    #38 5 years ago

Had our split flipper party yesterday, and a great time was had by all!
    I put on heaps of bbq food for everyone, byo alcohol but I also had 30L of ipa on tap if anyone ran out
    Everyone had a blast playing split flipper, we played on all 4 games. One pairing of novices put 300mill+ on getaway! Apart from that, it was fast fun action with plenty of breaks. Started at midday, kicked people off the machines at 1am, I got too drunk..... but had fun!

#39 5 years ago

Pics dog....

FB_IMG_1543725804559 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1543725804559 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1543725821103 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1543725821103 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1543725835613 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1543725835613 (resized).jpg
    #40 5 years ago

We love split flipper. One big difference between us and your pictures, the guys probably wouldn't appreciate the free hand up under the shirt thing.

We are actually pretty damn good especially with all the substance abuse at the same time. Here is our split flipper score a couple nights ago.

IMG_4786 (resized).JPGIMG_4786 (resized).JPG
    4 months later
    #41 4 years ago

Pinball n' booze. All you need.

High score for each game.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Pinball n' booze. All you need.
    High score for each game.

Someone say “booze”!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-type-of-pinball-party-for-those-new-to-pinball?hl=atrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.