Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 160 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by wizardblom
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Vic contemplates DJ.jpg
    GR11-24-136pm 025-823.jpg
    GR11-24-136pm 024.jpg
    GR11-24-136pm 020-710.jpg
    GR11-24-136pm 001.jpg
    GR11-24-136pm 014.jpg
    DSC09939-87.JPG
    DSC09925.JPG
    GR11-24-136pm 008-891.jpg
    GR11-24-136pm 028-730.jpg
    Pins4814.jpg
    DSCN2517.JPG
    DSCN2516.JPG
    DSCN2515.JPG
    P4071937.JPG
    IMAG2510.jpg
    There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 10 years ago

Guys I really want to get into EM's now. Which are the first few you would recommend and why. much appreciated for responses Im a total newb in this arena however looking forward to learning how to keep these going as well!

#2 10 years ago

Gran Prix is really popular & a lot of fun to play.

#3 10 years ago

Find a game where you like the theme and art. Pick something you like and run with it. Stick with any of the major manufactures and you'll do great.

#4 10 years ago

williams stardust.... love all the pop bumpers and when tuned right can play really fast

and a em fireball. classic game with some wild twists

#5 10 years ago

Thanks are you saying game play is less important here than dmd's? I love theme but game play or sustainability is also a big one for me. Will look at Gran Prix

#6 10 years ago

any sites or places to best look at all the EM's out there or just google each individually?

#7 10 years ago

We see this question a lot.

It's really not as simple as "SPEND $10 K on MM and you'll be HAPPY!!!"

For an EM, buy something in nice shape that works, is close, and is a fair price.

You'll spend $400-1000.

If you like it, keep it. If not, great, sell it and get something else.

It's a different ballgame. THere's really nothing to chase here. Even the "holy grails" like Fireball are kind of oddball games that might not do it for you. Buy an EM on theme and a playfield layout that looks interesting to you.

#8 10 years ago

Stardust looks interesting!

#9 10 years ago

I would combine
    - one EM with short flippers / no inlanes (Fireball would be my favorite with multiball, return gate, skill shot. An alternative would be one with an animated backglass).
    - one with regular flippers, inlanes and - if possible - drop targets and/or vari-target or roto-target. (plenty of choices... Spirit of 76, Vulcan, Eldorado/Target Alpha, Centigrade 37, Surf Champ/Surfer, rarer: Joker Poker).

#10 10 years ago

Thats exactly what I will do thanks Crazy! So any suggestions on "interesting" play fields in this class?

#11 10 years ago

el dorado as a wedgehead - or royal flush as a 4 player - nice target games - put a power ball in them to speed them up and you have lots of fun

thanks ed

#12 10 years ago

joker poker looks good! lots to shoot at. How tough to come by?

#13 10 years ago

Joker Poker EM is rare and, as the game is good, expensive. The early SS Joker Poker is cool too, easier to find (9000 vs 800) and cheaper - and if remember correctly, with better rules (?).

#14 10 years ago

Sorry, no best 2 EM's. No such thing.

Too many good titles in both Single Player and Multiplayers. Thai's why once you get into EM's you can never stop collecting them then your original plan of having 1 or 2 turns into an ever expanding herd.

Play as many as you can and just get a feel for what YOU like and what YOU deem as fun, as everyone has different tastes.

Happy hunting!

Ken

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from wcbrandes:

Thats exactly what I will do thanks Crazy! So any suggestions on "interesting" play fields in this class?

Some of my favorite EMs-

Common:
    Williams Argosy
    Williams Swinger/Funfest
    Williams Little Chief
    Gottlieb Abracadabra
    Gottlieb Aquarius
    Gottlieb Spirit of 76
    Bally Night Rider
    Gottlieb Pop A Card/Drop a Card
    Gottlieb Pin Up/Kingpin
    Sonic Mars Trek
    Sonic Prospector

(honestly it's hard to go wrong with any gottlieb that isn't called Magnatron/Duotron or Bronco/Mustang)

rarer:
    Bally Fireball
    Gottlieb Dimension (incredible 20 DTs and great action all over the playfield)
    Astro

Still, like I said your favorite EM is one you may have not even heard of. They are easier to hunt.

#16 10 years ago

thanks for list going through one at a time!

#17 10 years ago

Old Chicago, Night Rider, Fan-Tas-Tic, Ding Dong, Space Mission, Expressway, Circus (woodrail)
    But like Levi said, you won't know it until you play it.

#18 10 years ago

Get to a show and play a few
    There are EMs with long flippers, and EMs with short flippers
    I prefer the longer flippers

As others have posted, at the prices that EMs attract, it is hard to go wrong
    Buy a game, if you don't like it you will be able to sell it at the same price

#19 10 years ago

how did gulfstream stack up for "interesting" playfield? Thats the one as a little kid I can remember playing

#20 10 years ago

Centigrade 37 ......'nuff said!
    Prospector is great also...

prospector 1.jpgprospector 1.jpg Centigrade_37_BG_2.jpgCentigrade_37_BG_2.jpg
    #21 10 years ago

Thanks guys very helpful for sure. I will be going to the Northwest show this year and stopping at Seattles Pinball museum so hoping to get a feel there as well.

#22 10 years ago

SP your cigar choices are ok I will def give Centigrade a shot!

#23 10 years ago

If you like drop targets get some info on Target Alpha from Gottlieb, as someone else mentioned. It is a very good looking game, they are usually in primo shape, and it is a tough game to beat. My favorite is Jack in the Box because it is a good drop target game, but the layout is unusual and you might not like it.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from wcbrandes:

SP your cigar choices are ok I will def give Centigrade a shot!

Thanks! If you like Drop Targets (like I do) ...you can't go wrong with Target Alpha or Solar City...

#25 10 years ago

There is another cool game as well called Cinema!

#26 10 years ago

Make me a deal on that Funhouse, so you have room for EM's!!!

I am on the hunt for 2 as well, some I like are:

C37
    Royal Flush
    Volley
    El Dorado
    Joker Poker
    Fast Draw

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball4life:

If you like drop targets get some info on Target Alpha from Gottlieb

I have a TA but it's not my favorite at all. Once you drop all 20 drops down, not much else to do but wait to drain to collect your bonus. I prefer Fast Draw/Quick Draw for the resettable center drop target that's worth 5,000 points.

I prefer the mid-70s GTB multiplayers by Ed Krynski, but every EM manufacturer had some great titles. I'm NOT embarrassed to say that I own a Williams Super Star. I set the SS on AAB and it's a blast with the DC pops and slings.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from wcbrandes:

Guys I really want to get into EM's now. Which are the first few you would recommend and why. much appreciated for responses Im a total newb in this arena however looking forward to learning how to keep these going as well!

you need to go play some before we can give you any type of decent recommendations... machines that i absolutely love (my royal guard, for example) are much hated by my bestie...

someone else noted this earlier... the em world is far different from the dmd world... there is a lot more variety, and there are very few "agreed upon best" games...

Quoted from wcbrandes:

Thanks are you saying game play is less important here than dmd's? I love theme but game play or sustainability is also a big one for me. Will look at Gran Prix

nope... game play is just as important, regardless of which vintage of machine you are looking at... i think what the poster was saying is that "forget what you are thinking when it comes to gameplay on an em vs. a dmd"...

a "good em" will consistently let you almost beat it... but rarely actually beat it... that is part of "gameplay" on an em... if you are thinking "modes"/"deep rulesets"/etc., you need to let go of those when thinking about gameplay on an em...

fwiw, "joker poker" is a grail machine... you will need a large budget for one of those...

#29 10 years ago

Tom, how goes it up there in the loops! I just cant part with the funhouse as it is better than new resto so will never get my money out of it besides Rick at pps announced new fast boards which will be very cool to see on the FH Basically can make a dmd game out of it and buy new code etc

#30 10 years ago

liking fast draw layout and t1he fact you can reset t`he center target Cheers Schudel5

#31 10 years ago

c37 looks good as well

#32 10 years ago

All good, just bugging about the Funhouse again Leave it to me in your will please..

Here is a larger list I made of games I like/want:

CENTIGRADE 37
    EL DORADO / GOLD STRIKE / TARGET ALPHA / SOLAR CITY
    SURF cHAMP / sURFER
    DIMENSION
    ATLANTIS/LAWMAN/SHERIFF
    CAPTAIN CARD / HIGH HAND
    FREEFALL
    BIG BRAVE / BIG INDIAN
    FAST DRAw / QUICK DRAW
    ABRA CA DABRA
    ROYAL FLUSH / CARD WHIZ
    VOLLEY
    TEAM ONE
    FIRE QUEEN / VULCAN
    JOKER POKER
    GEMINI

#33 10 years ago

Done! You are more than welcome to play it any time your in Vancouver although must say im rarely there now! Thanks for your list Tom. Are you going to the Northwest pinball conference/show?

#34 10 years ago

funny thing is with the glass like playfield and the fine tuning we had to build high outside rails to keep the ball from climbing the wall and heading over! We took aluminum and built it up at the back so it stays in play. Cant see it but just good to know its there! Almost impossible to get timing for repetitive upper flipper shots may have to slow this baby down!

#35 10 years ago

Try to go to a Pinball museum or show that features a lot of em's..Nothing

beats playing in person.

#36 10 years ago

image-54.jpgimage-54.jpg

#37 10 years ago

Headed to the pinball museum in Seattle today 2pm. will see what they have

#38 10 years ago

It's like what two super models should i pick?
    WHAT!!! i can only have 2.
    i always tell people try to get to a show a play some to see what you like gottlieb, Williams bally all play a little different. 2" or 3" flippers make a world of difference in game play, single player with a deeper rule set or a multiplayer less depth but more people can play at once.
    OH! THE HUMANITY

#39 10 years ago

not sure i care about how many people can play as opposed to the deeper rule sets to knock downs and interesting play fields but i hear you. I already have a super model but I doubt she will allow 2!

#40 10 years ago

Some good suggestions here. I prefer games with drop targets and/or spinners, and some cool lanes/shots. The 70's WMS EM games also tend to be livelier, and were my faves back in the day. A great resource for checking out tons of EM games and seeing which ones look cool is the Pinball Compendium EM era (yellow/gold cove) or PC 1970-1981 (my favorite volume). Pretty much every playfield is pictured in these volumes.

Quoted from schudel5:

I have a TA but it's not my favorite at all. Once you drop all 20 drops down, not much else to do but wait to drain to collect your bonus. I prefer Fast Draw/Quick Draw for the resettable center drop target that's worth 5,000 points.

Yeah, but Target Alpha has only 15 drop targets, not 20. BTW, for the OP, these games have the exact same playfield but differ slightly in # of players and rules: Gold Strike, El Dorado, Target Alpha, Solar City, Canada Dry, El Dorado: City of Gold (SS).... I have Gold Strike, the AAB version, which is a fun 'sudden death' game to get the last target and light the WOW to survive. The playfield is pretty brutal.

#41 10 years ago

Thanks Steven will look this up and see if i can find a copy

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Yeah, but Target Alpha has only 15 drop targets, not 20.

You are right...it just feels like 20. Other than the far left two and far right two they are very easy to drop.

#43 10 years ago

Bally Fireball may be #1 but what would be #2 ?

#44 10 years ago

Target Pool is my all time favorite!

#45 10 years ago

How do you get those upper targets with the lower flippers or is it more a nudge game off the central pop?

#46 10 years ago

I just cant stay away (even though I have recently) from the sounds and the lights of those EM classics. Just listening to some you tube videos on your suggestions gets me all excited again

#47 10 years ago

Target Pool is all about nudging!

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Target Pool is my all time favorite!

target pool sits next to my 2001
    target city

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from wcbrandes:

How do you get those upper targets with the lower flippers or is it more a nudge game off the central pop?

i juiced the upper kicker coils a bit to help the nudging effect.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from wcbrandes:

Done! You are more than welcome to play it any time your in Vancouver although must say im rarely there now! Thanks for your list Tom. Are you going to the Northwest pinball conference/show?

I don't think I'm going this year. Will be the first time I've missed it. Got some family stuff happenin

It's an amazing show, you should def go

There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-two-ems-to-go-after and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.