Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bridget_loves_bernie (resized).jpg
the-fugitive-barry-morse-with-a-crazed-bruce-dern (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

Last night I watched the final episodes of Criminal Minds. It was a TV series I watched quite a bit when it first came on and recently picked up on it again.

For a show that has been on 15 seasons, and has run it's course, I think they did a fairly decent job wrapping it up. What gave me a bit of nostalgia, is when they brought in clips and some of the actors and team members that had long since left the show as I was hoping they would. Early on it was a time when I would watch it after putting my young daughter who is now 21 to bed. Anyway it's done now.

Although I don't watch too much TV, it got me thinking about other series ending shows. Some great, others not so much.

When I was a kid, I religiously watched Bonanza, and the ending of that 14 year series seemed a little sad at best.

MASH and Cheers will always go down as two of the most watched series endings in history.

However, the greatest series ender for me is not a show I watched when it was first on, but picked up on later in syndication. It only ran for four years, but at the time was the most watched season finale ever. It set a precedent with an astonishing 78 million viewers in 1967 and 50+ years later it still ranks #3 most viewed on the all time list. It did not disappoint.

https://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-et-st-fugitive-fiftieth-anniversary-20170828-story.html

#3 4 years ago

Futurama... the first time.

#4 4 years ago

Star Trek: The Next Generation

#5 4 years ago

The Ranch.

LTG : )

#6 4 years ago

Seinfeld

#7 4 years ago

Newhart, where he goes to sleep and wakes up in the original Bob Newhart show, the whole second series being a "dream".

#8 4 years ago

Yes, the best thing they ever did was ending that show.

#9 4 years ago

Breaking Bad.

#10 4 years ago

Historically speaking, In my opinion, hands down... The Fugitive. My Dad loved the show and it's what we watched. That final chase through the abandoned amusement park... Amazing finale after 4 incredible seasons.

#11 4 years ago

Sopranos and Seinfeld are the two best and very different but perfect for their genre.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Newhart, where he goes to sleep and wakes up in the original Bob Newhart show, the whole second series being a "dream".

#13 4 years ago

Came here to say Newhart too lol.
Seinfeld ending was just a let down after such a great run.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from tullster:

Historically speaking, In my opinion, hands down... The Fugitive. That final chase through the abandoned amusement park... Amazing finale after 4 incredible seasons.

Yes, that would be mine.

Funny, I just checked another list of the top 15 most watched finales of all time and it wasn't on it. 78 million viewers says otherwise. #3

#15 4 years ago

Many will disagree but the last Episode of "Lost" inspired me to watch the entire thing. Yeah,tuned into the finale due to hype so knew the ending.

#16 4 years ago

I saw the very last episode of Dark Shadows after we had been watching it almost every day after school for years and they sure wrapped that one up in a hurry. Way faster than the show had been.

#17 4 years ago

Almost forgot the last episode of "The Prisoner". Patrick Mcgoohan basically made it up at the last minute since there was no way to reveal "Number 1". Real Beatles soundtrack, goofy rocket taking off, everyone going home from the Island on a flatbed truck. There are rumors the Writers were stoned out of their heads writing this one.
The viewers in the UK were super pissed off and Mcgoohan received death threats for years after.

#18 4 years ago

Not Dexter...... What a trainwreck that series ended up being.

Breaking Bad is the only series I have ever watched where I felt it just got stronger every single season. The finale was fantastic as well.

#19 4 years ago

STNG & Angel

Newhart & St/ Elswhere both good out of the boxers

#20 4 years ago

I'm kinda torn on the series finale of Gilligan's Island.

Half of me would have liked to have seen them get off the island in some ingenious way. The other half says just leave them there to rot.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I saw the very last episode of Dark Shadows after we had been watching it almost every day after school for years and they sure wrapped that one up in a hurry. Way faster than the show had been.

Dark Shadows! My friend turned me on to it and the first few episodes I watched were WTF is going on?! But I eventually caught on. What a weird show!

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm kinda torn on the series finale of Gilligan's Island.
Half of me would have liked to have seen them get off the island in some ingenious way. The other half says just leave them there to rot.

Yeah we’ll just let them rot there.
That’s one series from my childhood that is just to stupid to rewatch.Some of the westerns from that time were pretty good

#23 4 years ago

Chuck series finale was pretty good for what it was, certainly better than how Dexter ended. Echo Breaking Bad being one of the best, and honestly I can't think of many shows I watched the finales on, but most that I have watched were pretty lackluster. Most of the shows I liked and remember ended on a cliffhanger then got cancelled.

#24 4 years ago

Never understood the hate for the finale.

Quoted from o-din:

MASH and Cheers will always go down as two of the most watched series endings in history.

Cheers was great for us, Hi9ogh School seniors and we got a keg for it...a bit of a let down at the time but def respect it more now.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from tullster:

Dark Shadows! My friend turned me on to it and the first few episodes I watched were WTF is going on?! But I eventually caught on. What a weird show!

Mom didn't want us watching it, but she worked so every after school sitter we had was totally addicted and had no problem with us watching it too.

And on that very day the series ended, we were at home and mom finally caved in and said she didn't care if we watched it or not. Had no idea it would be the very last episode, but the irony remains.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Almost forgot the last episode of "The Prisoner". Patrick Mcgoohan basically made it up at the last minute since there was no way to reveal "Number 1". Real Beatles soundtrack, goofy rocket taking off, everyone going home from the Island on a flatbed truck. There are rumors the Writers were stoned out of their heads writing this one.
The viewers in the UK were super pissed off and Mcgoohan received death threats for years after.

Thank you for this. I loved this series as a kid, but never did see the ending, as I kept (and keep!) forgetting to buy the discs. So this is really amusing to me.

I AM NOT A NUMBER, I AM A FREE MAN!

#27 4 years ago

Six Feet Under

#29 4 years ago

What made the Criminal Minds finale special were Thomas Gibson and Shemar Moore along with several others appearing in Rossi's (Joe Montegna's) backyard in a vision prior to the party for his retirement.

#30 4 years ago

Recently finished Mr. Robot and earlier this year I was able to get to the end of Longmire after the Mrs. signed up for Netflix. Both were good. . .

I'm really looking forward to the series finale of "The Curse of Oak Island" -- I hope its not a disappointment. (I realize this may be years from now. . . hope I'm alive to see it!)

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Many will disagree but the last Episode of "Lost" inspired me to watch the entire thing. Yeah,tuned into the finale due to hype so knew the ending.

Wish i had done the same, but would have left it at only the ending

#32 4 years ago

While I was bummed they went away I enjoyed Sopranos, Justified, and Banshee.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

While I was bummed they went away I enjoyed Sopranos, Justified, and Banshee.

I forgot about Banshee.

#34 4 years ago

I came here to say Newhart but was preceded by many. I think that ending was brilliant.

I still get sad when I think of the last MASH episode.

#35 4 years ago

St. Elsewhere.....the ending was genius!

#36 4 years ago

Best ending. A comprehensive montage that provides "closure" for most characters, and the throw back to the season 1 intro music always brings a smile to my face.

#37 4 years ago

Oh..the ending of Supernatural season 5. The real series finale.

#38 4 years ago

The only final episode I think ever watched was MASH. Don’t watch many tv shows.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Oh..the ending of Supernatural season 5. The real series finale.

ha...10 frikkin years ago, amazing; That was a great one.

#40 4 years ago

I thought they did a fantastic job last night with the Criminal Minds finale. It’s been my favorite show for the last 15 years. I will really miss it.

2 other great finales that come to mind have already been mentioned here, Newhart and St Elsewhere. Both endings were absolute classics.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

I thought they did a fantastic job last night with the Criminal Minds finale. It’s been my favorite show for the last 15 years. I will really miss it.

Yes, it was pretty good. I'm gathering you and I may be the only ones here that watched it.

It was only fitting what they did with their private jet that has been with them since the beginning, and has appeared nonchalantly throughout the entire series.

#42 4 years ago

I've seen many but for some reason only recall M.A.S.H.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Not Dexter...... What a trainwreck that series ended up being.

Seriously. It was so illogical. A real let down for a great show.

#44 4 years ago

Sopranos is an easy no. 1 for me. Breaking Bad was right up there too. In both cases I went back years later and rewatched the finales, then got sucked in and ended up watching the entire series again.

I also really liked the Battlestar Galactica (2004) final episode.

I was a huge Seinfeld fan but had stopped watching by the time the finale rolled around and didn't see it until years later. It's nowhere close to being one of the best episodes they made (it's not even the best episode of the pretty weak final season), but I'm not sure it was the catastrophe it was made out to be at the time.

#45 4 years ago

Lexx.. awesome show and hot scifi chicks.

#46 4 years ago

Spoiler alert!

#47 4 years ago

M.A.S.H. It’s an oldie but goodie.

#48 4 years ago

Anybody else get sucked in on the Sun run of Breaking Bad? Already watched the series twice, but one Sun last month there I am, watching season 2, all freakin day long. Still have about 6 episodes to go in the last season. When fuckface Todd shows up, my interest starts to wane.
But goddamn, for me, that was the greatest series ever. Cinematography, acting, the writing, man, it had it all.

#49 4 years ago

And Cheers.

#50 4 years ago

For my money The Americans finale is the best episode of TV ever, let alone a finale.

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-tv-series-endings?hl=slightlysnaked and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.