(Topic ID: 122905)

Best treatment for rust on metal ball scoop?

By mrpinbot

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN3408.JPG
DSCN3409.JPG
#1 9 years ago

I have a metal ball scoop with damage from rust that has caused the outer coating to flake off. Can someone tel me the best treatment for this? I soaked it in something called evapo-rust to remove most of the rust but was wondering if there might be some paint/coating that would neutralize any remaining rust, protect and somewhat match the rest of the metal on the part. I've seen some chrome sprays but I think this part is just plated steel?

I'm restoring a Freddy playfield that suffered severe water/mud damage and am still trying to figure out the best way to protect cleaned bare metal parts from future rust without changing their appearance.

DSCN3408.JPGDSCN3408.JPG DSCN3409.JPGDSCN3409.JPG
#2 9 years ago
Quoted from mrpinbot:

I'm restoring a FREDDY playfield that suffered severe water/mud damage and am still trying to figure out the best way to protect cleaned bare metal parts from future rust without changing their appearance.

The best solution I've found is RPM (Rust Prevention Magic) from ECS Automotive, although it requires a little work to apply since you have to heat the item with a heat gun before applying it. It will last a while though as it has passed a 1,000 hour salt spray test (automotive testing).

If you want to avoid the heating, Boeshield T9 is easy to apply, but in in auto application is only rated for 6 months.

These are both wax based products. Most other solutions are going to change the appearance of the part.

#3 9 years ago

After de-rusting with evaporust, I usually either wax the part or spray it with gloss Polyurethane. Wax seems to keep the mirror shine, while poly dulls it a bit.

Considering that you are also dealing with a flaking surface and drastic difference in color, I might be tempted to spray with chrome spray paint to cover those spots to make them less obvious. However, you might want to test that on another part to see if the results are passable.

Some might argue to spray with poly first to lock-in the flaking, then spray with chrome paint to match the color. I'm not sure which approach might work better.

#4 9 years ago

Looks like it need to be re plated to be 100%

#5 9 years ago

Once your plating rusts and gets to the point that it is, there is nothing but replating to brink it back. For me, "Looks like chrome" paint never looked good enough. If that part is hidden, then maybe it will work for you, but if your like me and even though you can't see but know it's there, it will still bother you. ; )

#6 9 years ago

is it cost-prohibitive to have the finish removed completely and then rechromed? you could sand-blast the whole thing and then electroplate a nickel finish - though I don't know what it would cost to get all the stuff for it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-treatment-for-rust-on-metal-ball-scoop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.