Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by snyper2099
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Hello all. New Pinsider here, but long time pinball player. I currently own Tales of the Arabian nights and it's my 1st pinball machine I've ever had. I browse around the forums a lot and see people wanting to trade pins. I wanted to ask what are the best practices in trading games? I'm sure there are scammers out there. How are ya'll making sure transactions go smooth? Obviously if it's local you can just drive, unload, pack up and go, but what about out of state trades? What are most people doing? Any tips and advice to share based on your experiences? Thanks to everyone in advance!

#2 2 years ago

A shipping trade has never made any sense to me as it adds $500 to the cost of making a deal.

Not to mention, long distance trades mean you can’t inspect games in person.

Always frustrated when people 5 states away from me answer ads trying to make
    A trade. Like…what’s the point ?

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Petes0281:

Hello all. New Pinsider here, but long time pinball player. I currently own Tales of the Arabian nights and it's my 1st pinball machine I've ever had. I browse around the forums a lot and see people wanting to trade pins. I wanted to ask what are the best practices in trading games? I'm sure there are scammers out there. How are ya'll making sure transactions go smooth? Obviously if it's local you can just drive, unload, pack up and go, but what about out of state trades? What are most people doing? Any tips and advice to share based on your experiences? Thanks to everyone in advance!

Hi Pete, welcome to Pinside!

I love trading. If you put out the trade feelers, you kind of open yourself up to a game you may not have been thinking about. With a TOTAN, the good news is that you have a very desirable game.

Start a trade thread. Take lots of pictures, highlight everything good and bad. Don’t hide anything broken. Be honest and forthright. List the games on your wishlist.

Once you’re in communication with someone and you come to an agreement, you can (1) take your game and swap at their house, (2) they can come to you and swap at your house or (3) meet in the middle and do a parking lot swap. Do not ship games with a trade. Do it in person.

Make sure the person you’re talking to is as honest as you’ve been. Check their post history. Honestly, being a new member, the other person may be wary of you. Meet somewhere public, especially if cash is trading hands. Don’t be afraid to talk on the phone and trade pictures.

Be patient, see what’s out there and have fun!

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A shipping trade has never made any sense to me as it adds $500 to the cost of making a deal.
    Not to mention, long distance trades mean you can’t inspect games in person.
    Always frustrated when people 5 states away from me answer ads trying to make
    A trade. Like…what’s the point ?

If it's a trade then the shipping is the ONLY cost of the deal, no?

You bought a TZ 10 years ago for $2500, someone wants to trade you a newer $7000 Stern Premium whatever and it's gonna cost u $500 for shipping, what's the downside? Aside from not seeing the game in person?

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

If it's a trade then the shipping is the ONLY cost of the deal, no?
    You bought a TZ 10 years ago for $2500, someone wants to trade you a newer $7000 Stern Premium whatever and it's gonna cost u $500 for shipping, what's the downside? Aside from not seeing the game in person?

I think it’s not so much the shipping cost. It’s more than both people should see the game in person to cinch the deal and make sure they think it’s a good/fair trade. Like if someone exaggerates the condition of their game and the other person thinks it was a bum trade there’s going to be lots of bad blood.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Petes0281:

Always do them in person. No shipping.

#7 2 years ago

I’ve done multiple temporary trades with local pinheads. Good way to try out games without giving up something you aren’t necessarily done with. When doing a temp trade I usually try to do 6 month minimum and shop it out prior to returning.

#8 2 years ago

I prefer trading and it's always gone smoothly. Once you both see pics/video of each other's machine and agree to the deal, then it's a matter of the travel. I've done meeting halfway trades at a hotel parking lot. I've gone to the other guy's house and swapped there and vice versa.

I wouldn't do shipping on a trade because I also wouldn't buy a game and have it shipped. Just not interested in dealing with shipping. I want to take my game personally or have it delivered. I also am doing a trade so $$ doesn't leave my wallet, so shipping is out.

#9 2 years ago

I LOVE trades and usually list my for sale games as "trades +/- cash welcomed".

As a general rule, if you are looking for a trade the more information, pictures, and videos you put into your ad the further away people feel comfortable making a trade and the more offers you will receive. I personally have never shipped a pin, but I have had people come from as far away from Georgia (I'm in Maryland) for a trade. When you do a trade make sure to ask for specific details and photos on the other persons machine. The last thing you want to happen is for someone to show up with a machine after driving 4 hours to you that is not as described and try to guilt you into a trade. I have found that trading pins is relatively low effort, especially when the other party comes to you. Two hands makes breaking down and moving a pin easier. If you put up an ad that says, "Want to trade my ToTAN for Elvira" you will most likely get crickets. However, if you put up your TOTAN as trades +/- cash welcomed or trades preferred you will likely get multiple offers and simply be able to accept the one valued the most or whatever you are interested in the most. You may also get a cash offer that you can use to judge other offers against. I got an original AFM for my JP pro a few years ago which I still feel like was one of the best trades I've made. I've also had people offer over asking when I have "trades preferred" and hold out for trades... I got $1500 over asking for my Twilight Zone that way...

Here is a prime example of a well done ad along with trade offers received on the pin. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/loaded-jurassic-park-pro-trades-cash-welcomed

#10 2 years ago

Trades are great, I've done them on occasion but with the following caveats:

1) Face to face only. No shipping (unless you are already personal friends with the other side of the deal). The shipping costs are whatever, it's really about the risks you take when x-shipping games. Any number of things could go upside down and become a headache.
    2) People (typically) overvalue their own games and undervalue everything else. For instance, I might offer my JP Premium at 10k against your TOTAN, and would consider that an even trade. I imagine that is not very fair in reality.

#11 2 years ago

I would never ship a game. Not to buy, not to trade, never! That's just the way I roll. Has it left me forever wanting some rare games from other countries? Probably so, but I still don't give a shit.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-trade-practices and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.