(Topic ID: 12001)

Best touch up paint to match black cabinet and black sides in pins?

By The_Dude_Abides

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_dude_abides.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

Hey all just want to see if anyone had a good paint to match the shinny black that is on black cabinets and side walls in the pin. Can be spray or paint any suggestions are much appreciated.

#14 12 years ago

Thanks for all the info guys at first I didn't think I would get any responses but as always you all came through. I have tried a regular Acrylic Black on area the size of a golf ball and when it dries it has no shine to it and was flat black looking a bit chalky in direct light.

I'm going to take some of the advice here and try to get it as close as possible to the look of the rest of the cabinet. I will make sure to post what I did and how it worked thanks again!

#20 12 years ago

First I would like to thank everyone for their comments they were all much appreciated! I really wanted to test as many suggestions as I could to see what worked best so I could report back.
    Well the results were as follows. I used three different products all from rust-oleum and they were: black lacquer, black painter's touch semi gloss, & black painter's touch gloss.

As far as trying to match the tint and shine of the factory black cab on larger visible areas the painter's touch semi gloss did not have the shine to it that the rest of the cab had it was close but if you look in light at different angles I was able to see the difference pretty easy. The painters touch gloss was closer but still a little off of from the rest of the cab as far as tint. The best matching one by far was the black lacquer. The catch is all I could find was a spray to use and on such a small area that would not work so I sprayed some on a foam pad and quickly transferred to the desired area and that worked well. It's a bit tougher using the lacquer but was definitely the closest (almost identical) to factory look of the rest of the cab. For small touch ups they would all work fine.

It is worth noting that the sides under the glass are less glossy than outside cabinets so the painters touch semi-gloss works great for those touch ups.

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Is this on Congo? The one I am getting Saturday has completely faded left and front. Saddens me very much. I actually really like the cab artwork on it. No decals available for it as far as I know right?

No decals for it that I know of. No, the question of cab paint was more for my brothers ID4 that I am working on for him. A few touch up spots on Congo but I was lucky enough to get a pretty great looking one. But I did try on both cabs.

Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Hit the whole area with a little Novus 2 and see how it comes out.

Tried that while it helped a little it still did not give the acrylic the shine it needed to match the cab.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_dude_abides.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-touch-up-paint-to-match-black-cabinet-and-black-sides-in-pins?tu=the_dude_abides and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.