Best touch up paint to match black cabinet and black sides in pins?

(Topic ID: 12001)

Best touch up paint to match black cabinet and black sides in pins?

By The_Dude_Abides

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by The_Dude_Abides
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Hey all just want to see if anyone had a good paint to match the shinny black that is on black cabinets and side walls in the pin. Can be spray or paint any suggestions are much appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

Sharpie

#3 6 years ago

black paint pen works good too..black is black for the most part no?

#4 6 years ago

rustoleum semi gloss black. It's almost perfect to my eyes.

For filling small cracks or scratches, I use an acryilic paint pen from hobby lobby. Not a sharpie. Sharpie pens and paint pens have a slight brown cast.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from mandelbloom:

black is black for the most part no?

No. Not in paint.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

Not a sharpie. Sharpie pens and paint pens have a slight brown cast.

+1 Agree the Sharpie may look OK at first but has a brownish color to it.

#7 6 years ago

Rustoleum Painter's Touch semi-gloss black

#8 6 years ago

testor black
    also acrylic black the one i have is a little bit glossy, match the cab 100% or any black parts.

#9 6 years ago

I have used a sharpie also!

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Rustoleum Painter's Touch semi-gloss black

+1 all the way. quart with foam roller and brush for tight spots

#11 6 years ago

One of the pin repair videos said to use black lacquer. Clay said the machines originally came with it. Ace has spray lacquer.

#12 6 years ago

I like making them better than factory and don't put too much thought into the factory look. I restored a car and met a line employee at a show who commented if that car came off the line they would of sent it back. I kinda have a problem with over doing things.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

rustoleum semi gloss black. It's almost perfect to my eyes.
    For filling small cracks or scratches, I use an acryilic paint pen from hobby lobby. Not a sharpie. Sharpie pens and paint pens have a slight brown cast.

Acrylics dry with a flat look, did you use a clear afterwards? i have some glossy black acrylic paint and did exactly what you mention on my sides of cab fillin cracks and you can see it not as shiny and stands out when the light hits it at certain angles of view!

#14 6 years ago

Thanks for all the info guys at first I didn't think I would get any responses but as always you all came through. I have tried a regular Acrylic Black on area the size of a golf ball and when it dries it has no shine to it and was flat black looking a bit chalky in direct light.

I'm going to take some of the advice here and try to get it as close as possible to the look of the rest of the cabinet. I will make sure to post what I did and how it worked thanks again!

#15 6 years ago

Is this on Congo? The one I am getting Saturday has completely faded left and front. Saddens me very much. I actually really like the cab artwork on it. No decals available for it as far as I know right?

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Anim8ormatt said:rustoleum semi gloss black. It's almost perfect to my eyes.
    Acrylics dry with a flat look, did you use a clear afterwards? i have some glossy black acrylic paint and did exactly what you mention on my sides of cab fillin cracks and you can see it not as shiny and stands out when the light hits it at certain angles of view!

Don't use those crummy apple paints from the craft racks. they are terrible. Use hobby grade acrylics. they have a slight sheet to them. not dead flat like the tubes. (even gloss tends to dry in an uneven sheen on wood) I did up a pretty badly planked pinbot cabinet with a black elmers paint pen and i have since lost track of the repairs.

If I am filling a crack, i keep a moist paper town on hand. i will run the bead to fill the crack, then wipe off the excess with my finger and then clean it off with the paper towel. That way it fill the crack without too much excess. Kind of like grout.
    The paint pens i use are elmers. They have worked like a charm so far. I even repainted the magna save spot on BK2K and it is holding up without a nick.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

Jeff_PHX_AZ said:Anim8ormatt said:rustoleum semi gloss black. It's almost perfect to my eyes.
    Don't use those crummy apple paints from the craft racks. they are terrible. Use hobby grade acrylics. they have a slight sheet to them. not dead flat like the tubes. (even gloss tends to dry in an uneven sheen on wood) I did up a pretty badly planked pinbot cabinet with a black elmers paint pen and i have since lost track of the repairs.
    If I am filling a crack, i keep a moist paper town on hand. i will run the bead to fill the crack, then wipe off the excess with my finger and then clean it off with the paper towel. That way it fill the crack without too much excess. Kind of like grout.
    The paint pens i use are elmers. They have worked like a charm so far. I even repainted the magna save spot on BK2K and it is holding up without a nick.

Thanks for the Elmer pen suggestion. gonna head over to Michaels craft store or the Hobby Lobby!

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from DougPiranha:

I like making them better than factory

It's not so much if it's better or worse it's that it'll match what's on the wood. You can cover any of the original paint with whatever you want. Just passing along what I've seen.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Thanks for all the info guys at first I didn't think I would get any responses but as always you all came through. I have tried a regular Acrylic Black on area the size of a golf ball and when it dries it has no shine to it and was flat black looking a bit chalky in direct light.
    I'm going to take some of the advice here and try to get it as close as possible to the look of the rest of the cabinet. I will make sure to post what I did and how it worked thanks again!

Hit the whole area with a little Novus 2 and see how it comes out. Obviously acrylic will come off a bit if you rub too hard with it, but blending with Novus 2 will typically give you a pretty uniform shine between new and old.

#20 6 years ago

First I would like to thank everyone for their comments they were all much appreciated! I really wanted to test as many suggestions as I could to see what worked best so I could report back.
    Well the results were as follows. I used three different products all from rust-oleum and they were: black lacquer, black painter's touch semi gloss, & black painter's touch gloss.

As far as trying to match the tint and shine of the factory black cab on larger visible areas the painter's touch semi gloss did not have the shine to it that the rest of the cab had it was close but if you look in light at different angles I was able to see the difference pretty easy. The painters touch gloss was closer but still a little off of from the rest of the cab as far as tint. The best matching one by far was the black lacquer. The catch is all I could find was a spray to use and on such a small area that would not work so I sprayed some on a foam pad and quickly transferred to the desired area and that worked well. It's a bit tougher using the lacquer but was definitely the closest (almost identical) to factory look of the rest of the cab. For small touch ups they would all work fine.

It is worth noting that the sides under the glass are less glossy than outside cabinets so the painters touch semi-gloss works great for those touch ups.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Is this on Congo? The one I am getting Saturday has completely faded left and front. Saddens me very much. I actually really like the cab artwork on it. No decals available for it as far as I know right?

No decals for it that I know of. No, the question of cab paint was more for my brothers ID4 that I am working on for him. A few touch up spots on Congo but I was lucky enough to get a pretty great looking one. But I did try on both cabs.

Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Hit the whole area with a little Novus 2 and see how it comes out.

Tried that while it helped a little it still did not give the acrylic the shine it needed to match the cab.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 64.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    € 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Professor Pinball
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 16.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 49.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 10.95
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside