(Topic ID: 231632)

Best tool for replacing flipper rubbers?

By ericwag

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by cyroute
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mrburnsgym (resized).jpg
    B38A6C85-71B6-4C6A-A7CD-7D70342C37B4 (resized).jpeg
    hand (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

What's the best tool for replacing flipper rubbers, especially if you're planning to do a ton of them in the same day? I've seen expanding pliers that might be able to hold open the flipper rubber as it's put around the flipper, but I'm not sure how well they work.

Opinions appreciated.

#2 5 years ago

I'm never used anything except my hand. There is a tool for removing flipper rubber?

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I'm never used anything except my hand. There is a tool for removing flipper rubber?

Same here, if one exists and works well I might buy one to put on super bands, holy shit those can be hard to install.

#4 5 years ago

Both your thumbs and index fingers. Although trying that with SuperBands you need a lot of force.

#5 5 years ago

hand (resized).jpghand (resized).jpg

#6 5 years ago

hit em with a hair dryer for a couple seconds like a woman, then put em on with your hands like a man.

#7 5 years ago

If there going on that hard, are you sure your using the right rubbers?

#8 5 years ago

I usually start with the thick side of the flipper and pull the rubber down on the thin end.

Quoted from wdennie:

If there going on that hard, are you sure your using the right rubbers?

#9 5 years ago

Yes, use one right hand to stretch the rubbers, then your other right hand to install.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

hit em with a hair dryer for a couple seconds like a woman, then put em on with your hands like a man.

Whoah, Whoah...2018. lol.

#11 5 years ago

Haha... Don't use any tools. You're going to slip and some point t and gouge your PF

#12 5 years ago

Regular flipper rubbers go on with bare hands. If you have silicone flipper rubbers, not so much. They are extremely hard to stretch. As Malenko said, heat is the trick. I put them in the microwave for about 5 seconds then quickly install them because if you wait to long that tighten up again.

#13 5 years ago

I know some of the translucent ones don’t fit my jersey jack, well they do but it took myself and monster to stretch. I like the heating but not all flippers are the same, the translucent bands went in no problem with all my Williams but jj clearly has larger flippers

#14 5 years ago

I find it easier to install silcone rubbers with flippers out. I know its an extra step, but then i use a thin screwdriver shaft to pull the rubbers over the thin end of flipper and have no worries of gouging the playfield.

B38A6C85-71B6-4C6A-A7CD-7D70342C37B4 (resized).jpegB38A6C85-71B6-4C6A-A7CD-7D70342C37B4 (resized).jpeg
    #15 5 years ago

I use a hammer, chisel & several pairs of vice grips. Don’t forget the vasoline

#16 5 years ago

I too would like a tool.

mrburnsgym (resized).jpgmrburnsgym (resized).jpg

Funny part is it would be nice to have a tool for this and my last name is Burns

#17 5 years ago

If a superband is super tight, I spray a little Novus 1 on the thin end of the flipper bat to act as lube as I stretch it over that end. Then wipe flipper/playfield dry.

#18 5 years ago

Tools needed while changing rubber? I find the tiny ignition wrenches to be super handy, 1/4" and 5/16". You can remove a nut on top of a post without the post coming with it. Aside from that, if you need a tool other than hands to put rubber on you might be doing something wrong.

#19 5 years ago

I've heard of people with two left feet, and now I've seen someone with two right hands.

#20 5 years ago

I read someone used a plastic cable tie around superbands to pull it over the flipper then cut the cable tie once it was on.
    Joe

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-tool-for-replacing-flipper-rubbers?hl=projvulkn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.