Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by j_m_
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Is there a trick to getting out stuck screws in the fin-nut. I have a number stuck in the lane guides that need replacing. Last time i kept fighting it and broke the screw itself.. or once they are stuck is snapping and removing the way to go
thanks

#2 5 years ago

Try and heat them to loosen locktite if that is the issue.

Otherwise break and replace.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Is there a trick to getting out stuck screws in the fin-nut. I have a number stuck in the lane guides that need replacing. Last time i kept fighting it and broke the screw itself.. or once they are stuck is snapping and removing the way to go
thanks

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-5-Piece-5-in-Steel-Screw-Extractor-Set/999957791
If you break off the head of a screw into metal, about the only way to get it out, assuming you can't grab what is left sticking out with a vise grip and turn it, is to use a screw extractor (or ease out as many people call it). But it is not something that you always be sure will work. If the screw extractor doesn't work, you have to drill out the screw and retap the hole, which also, might not always work the way that you think it should. Best to be careful, use a good screwdriver and don't mess up your screw, if that is possible.

#4 5 years ago

Like Dent said, try an EZ Out first. But having to remove a ton of broken screws in my line of work I find they usually work 50% of the time. Most of the time I just go straight to drilling it out and re tapping. That usually works 90% of the time. The key is using the correct size bit for the tap size. They are usually metric sized bits so don’t use a standard bit from your drill set.

#5 5 years ago

I broke a handful of screws on my Freddy while doing the tear down, even after heating them with a solder iron. I just tapped the t-nut through the playfield and put in a new one. I personally wouldn't waste time with a screw extractor that might work if it's just a t-nut that costs 35 cents or something.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

Like Dent said, try an EZ Out first. But having to remove a ton of broken screws in my line of work I find they usually work 50% of the time. Most of the time I just go straight to drilling it out and re tapping. That usually works 90% of the time. The key is using the correct size bit for the tap size. They are usually metric sized bits so don’t use a standard bit from your drill set.

I don't recall ever seeing metric on a pinball machine. I can't speak for the newer boutique brands, I think one is manufactured overseas and is likely metric, but every game I've worked on has been SAE.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I don't recall ever seeing metric on a pinball machine. I can't speak for the newer boutique brands, I think one is manufactured overseas and is likely metric, but every game I've worked on has been SAE.

No, the drill bit to drill out the standard screw is metric so it’s slightly smaller than the standard tap size. If you use a standard size bit you have to go a step smaller than the screw thread size which makes it more difficult to tap since you have to cut thru much more material. That being said if you use a bit the same size of the existing screw than you have to up the tap size as all the material will be gone to re tap the original size threads. Hope that makes sense

#8 5 years ago

thanks for the help..that gives me a starting point

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

thanks for the help..that gives me a starting point

We don’t know what you have available wherever your at so a trip to the store might be your only choice no matter what direction you go, but like others have said, you can just pry it out with a small flat head screwdriver from the tooth side of the t-nut or simply punch it out from the top side and be done with it. Install new t-nut

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

We don’t know what you have available wherever your at so a trip to the store might be your only choice no matter what direction you go, but like others have said, you can just pry it out with a small flat head screwdriver from the tooth side of the t-nut or simply punch it out from the top side and be done with it. Install new t-nut

I have a good selection of tools but no screw extractor. . I think my best bet is to try heat Incase locktite. If not then snap and pop the fin out as well.

#11 5 years ago

Lets make this easy - if the screw goes into a T-nut - just knock the T-nut out and put a new T-nut in !

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

Lets make this easy - if the screw goes into a T-nut - just knock the T-nut out and put a new T-nut in !

That works too. A lot of the blind nuts on my stern machine are 6-32 thread. Only trick to that is that sometimes they are attached that way underneath other assemblies where there is not room to use a standard nut beneath the playfield. And those major assemblies have to be removed in order to replace the T-nut. Like blind nuts underneath flipper assemblies, for instance. Blind nuts are a pretty cheap item though, if you have enough room to knock it out easily.

3 months later
#14 4 years ago

how many threads are you going to spam this ebay link to this morning?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-tip-to-remove-stuck-screws-into-fin-nut?hl=atari_daze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.