• Stern POTC 8 votes
    7%
  • JJP POTC 14 votes
    12%
  • ACDC Premium 4 votes
    3%
  • Aerosmith Pro 0 votes

(116 votes)

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

My fist pinball was a Sega golden eye, second a NGG.
Those were replaced by a Williams MM and a Shrek Stern, now that those too are shopped and playing 100% I am looking for a third that would complement those two, I only have space for 3 machines at home.
- have two kids at home, 6 and 4, they play occasionally but I am avoiding the family stress with pins like walking dead, elvira, etc
- more into modern (>2000)
- spend smart, no LEs and would avoid a premium if the game play is not that different.

What would be the perfect 3 game collection to complement the MM and Shrek ?

#2 5 years ago

Under a variety of circumstances I've said it before and I'll say it again...
World Cup Soccer.
It will NOT disappoint especially with the kids.
They will love scoring goals!

#3 5 years ago

Well they be able to play is the American soccer team without laughing the whole game?

#4 5 years ago

My kids (8 and 4) love playing our Iron Maiden Premium

#5 5 years ago

Munsters!

#6 5 years ago

Based on your criteria of newer than 2000 and family friendly I'll say Simpsons Pinball Party. Who doesn't like the Simpsons? Great call outs, and tough enough to keep you interested.

Stern Star Trek could also be a decent pick. Fast, flowy, easy for the kids, and a great theme.

#7 5 years ago

I think a Star Wars Pro would fit that bill pretty nicely, good theme and has the new display.

#8 5 years ago

Since you are in South America I'd say Iron Maiden! I hear they are pretty big there...

#9 5 years ago

Who Dunnit has a novice mode you can choose at the start of every game keeps spitting out balls for two min good for young kids

#10 5 years ago

JP was a family fav in my home. For kids, they get instant MB on ball three by simply using the Smart Missile. Kids love the ball chomping Trex. Fantastic family game.

Agree with Star Trek Pro. Love mine. Very fast and flowy.

Spiderman would be another great family game. Theme is relevant even if you get the original. Seems kids love the suite from that movie. It was big news when the suite was recently added to the new Spiderman video game.

Disagree on SW and TSPP. Assuming your kids aren't "players" these games may be too hard and frustrate them. The ones I suggested all have an easy path to MB -- which kids seem to love -- AND have great rules for more advanced players.

Good luck!

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Since you are in South America I'd say Iron Maiden! I hear they are pretty big there...

One of my favorite games, not sure if the wife would approve the extra ball being pulled out of a skull, the blood and guns.
it is not a no go, but being popular with the family kind of helps on the buying process

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Based on your criteria of newer than 2000 and family friendly I'll say Simpsons Pinball Party. Who doesn't like the Simpsons? Great call outs, and tough enough to keep you interested.
Stern Star Trek could also be a decent pick. Fast, flowy, easy for the kids, and a great theme.

Simpsons is a hard pin to find in Brazil but it is an excelent selection for the reasons you mentioned. Family friend but still tough enough to keep the pinhead entertained for quite some time.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

JP was a family fav in my home. For kids, they get instant MB on ball three by simply using the Smart Missile. Kids love the ball chomping Trex. Fantastic family game.
Agree with Star Trek Pro. Love mine. Very fast and flowy.
Spiderman would be another great family game. Theme is relevant even if you get the original. Seems kids love the suite from that movie. It was big news when the suite was recently added to the new Spiderman video game.
Disagree on SW and TSPP. Assuming your kids aren't "players" these games may be too hard and frustrate them. The ones I suggested all have an easy path to MB -- which kids seem to love -- AND have great rules for more advanced players.
Good luck!

Spiderman is an excellent suggestion, tsk
I would not discard the "hard" games as TSPP as they can still play bash castles on MM and play the mini pinball on shrek. Just avoiding the pins with too much blood.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Mnluz:

One of my favorite games, not sure if the wife would approve the extra ball being pulled out of a skull, the blood and guns.
it is not a no go, but being popular with the family kind of helps on the buying process

There is a family mode in the settings menu. I have mine off so I cannot say if it removes the blood but it might...

#15 5 years ago

TNA - has Co-op mode with which you can play with your wife and kids. You can always set up the locks for them and "drain," then let them "steal" your multiball and enjoy the game.

My 5 yr old has a good time getting MB in TNA. She thinks the locks are awesome and loves to show me when she does it. Then gleefully yells as they all come rolling out.

#16 5 years ago

Pirates of the Caribbean! My 6 year old loves sinking the ship.

#17 5 years ago

#lexy_lightspeed - your kids will have plenty of options with minigames.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Mnluz:

My fist pinball was a Sega golden eye, second a NGG.
Those were replaced by a Williams MM and a Shrek Stern, now that those too are shopped and playing 100% I am looking for a third that would complement those two, I only have space for 3 machines at home.
- have two kids at home, 6 and 4, they play occasionally but I am avoiding the family stress with pins like walking dead, elvira, etc
- more into modern (>2000)
- spend smart, no LEs and would avoid a premium if the game play is not that different.
What would be the perfect 3 game collection to complement the MM and Shrek ?

It sounds like your family is similar to mine; no one really plays pinball but theme matters in keeping some peace (i.e. no TWD). The pins are for me but the themes must be family approved.

That said, My wife wasn’t a fan of IMDN both with the music and the blood so I went ahead and sold it. Being a fan of the band and game, I Missed it so much I bought another. She wasn’t too happy but has come to like it and even plays it at times. As for my 6 yo son, he was first taken back on the art package. I explained to him that Eddie is a super hero that travels through time battling the beast. He loved that concept in knowing that Eddie is a good guy. He loves watching the LCD and asks “who is that Eddie?” , “what’s Eddie doing?”, “why does he look like a mummy?” Etc... I give him history lessons about what time period Eddie is in and use the Beast as the symbol of what Eddie is battling, i.e. slavery, war, etc... he loves it! His favorite is when I get Aces High going, he runs and grabs his airplanes and runs around the room pretending he’s Eddie shooting at his other planes. It motivates me to keep the ball in play and I seem to complete the mode more often when he’s watching and re-enacting the LCD. He loves getting to the bomber jackpot phase.

Acdc pro is also another great option. The music is perfect for pinball and family, for the most part. Acdc Music is also in some of my sons favorite movies (planes), and that’s a bonus. The music is a Winner with both the kids and wife. I own the vault pro now (yay no more ugly face) and have owned the premium in the past. The pro is just fine, in fact the stand ups make for a much more fun overall gameplay experience.

Star Wars is a great option but the game itself isn’t for everybody. It’s an unorthodox ruleset with advanced gameplay.

Another great viable game would be WOZ. Excellent for both family and players. Brutal and tough, but deep with lots to explore.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

TNA - has Co-op mode with which you can play with your wife and kids. You can always set up the locks for them and "drain," then let them "steal" your multiball and enjoy the game.
My 5 yr old has a good time getting MB in TNA. She thinks the locks are awesome and loves to show me when she does it. Then gleefully yells as they all come rolling out.

Interesting, did not know

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

Pirates of the Caribbean! My 6 year old loves sinking the ship.

I had for some time NGG and MM side by side, for my surprise the kids loved MM and almost never touched the colorfull NGG. Destroy the castle !!!

Castle, saving the princess, trolls, merlin.... those are still present in many disney and dreamworks films.

POTC is also great family pin and sinking the ship is one of the best toys around

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from LargemouthAss:

There is a family mode in the settings menu. I have mine off so I cannot say if it removes the blood but it might...

A good friend has one, I will give it a try. Tks

#22 5 years ago

Some family freindly games i thought of JJP POTC, Iron man, SW pro, Batman 66, batman dark knight, MBR.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

It sounds like your family is similar to mine; no one really plays pinball but theme matters in keeping some peace (i.e. no TWD).

As for my 6 yo son, he was first taken back on the art package. I explained to him that Eddie is a super hero that travels through time battling the beast. He loved that concept in knowing that Eddie is a good guy. He loves watching the LCD and asks “who is that Eddie?” , “what’s Eddie doing?”, “why does he look like a mummy

Star Wars is a great option but the game itself isn’t for everybody. It’s an unorthodox ruleset with advanced gameplay.

Another great viable game would be WOZ. Excellent for both family and players. Brutal and tough, but deep with lots to explore.

Great summary, about the same goal here, keeping the peace

I will try the family mode on Iron, two girl here and wife, I am on the weak side :-0

Acdc is easier on the eyes and still very good, I do prefer acdc songs.

Starwars is a difficult call on a small collection, great for pinheads but frustraring for ocasional players.

Woz, I could have bought one from a good friend ... top 1 regreat of my pinball life

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Some family freindly games i thought of JJP POTC, Iron man, SW pro, Batman 66, batman dark knight, MBR.

Batman 66 with the newest code is a great choise. Top 3 for a family pin.

I might create a pool with the suggestions i just received

#25 5 years ago

pool added with most of the suggestions

#26 5 years ago

Simpsons all the way. Great game that would be an LE by today's standards.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Mnluz:

pool added with most of the suggestions

From that poll. JJPOTC or WOZ would be fantastic small collection family games. BM66 is also a great suggestion, but at that price point, I’d stick with JJP.

#28 5 years ago

Instesting do add a pool and quantify
- simpsons 5 votes
- potc stern 4 votes
- potc JJP 4 votes

Looks like the Stern PoTC still gets some love from pinheads, with the JJP launch it is a bit of a surprise .

Only one vote for quardians, mine kkkk

#29 5 years ago

Spider-Man or sterns Pirates gets my vote.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Mnluz:

You can turn the extra ball gore, etc off by turning family mode on.

However, for your age kids and family-friendly consideration, WoZ. All day.

Your poll is not really balanced, though unless money is no object. There's a wide variance in cost of the various machines. Literally a $5000 DIFFERENCE between Stern PotC and jjPotC, the least and most expensive pins on your list.

#31 5 years ago

Primus

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You can turn the extra ball gore, etc off by turning family mode on.
However, for your age kids and family-friendly consideration, WoZ. All day.
Your poll is not really balanced, though unless money is no object. There's a wide variance in cost of the various machines. Literally a $5000 DIFFERENCE between Stern PotC and jjPotC, the least and most expensive pins on your list.

You are right, if we add money as a key factor, than the answers might change.
The initial idea is to find out what would be the best third "family" pin, them deal with the financial and availability aspect and that could be "get the second or third best available" or wait a few more months and get the winner of the pool ( if the most expensive one is the winner).

Batman 66 and POTC are the ones getting votes on the most expensive
POTC Stern and Simpsons on the least expensive

If I can find a Stern POTC or a Simpsons in good condition I would probably take them, and upgrade in the future for batman or POTC JJP. Availability is the other key factor.

1 week later
#33 5 years ago

Right now I have acess to a couple of WOZ on good price and condition. I am inclined to go for it and delay Batman for the second semester

#34 5 years ago

Munsters Pro

#35 5 years ago

Avengers,Iron Man, Avatar

#36 5 years ago

Woz.... Do it! My 6 &4 year old daughters love it.

#37 5 years ago

I own or have owned all of these options.

Star Wars is too hard, it’s just brutal, I would vote that out.

Spider-Man is the pin that my 9 year old and Wife like the best, it’s an easier pin to get going on, theme and callouts are awesome on it.

TSPP is much loved as well, just a harder pin to understand what is going on.

Stern Pirates is awesome, just got it and we love it. I didn’t think I would like it this much.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

Woz.... Do it! My 6 &4 year old daughters love it.

Mine are 6 and 4 too
I just traded my shrek for a Woz, should be here this week.

They love shrek but i guess they will love woz too and the deep woz code will be great for me.

I really enjoyed shrek, only 600 made , different but original layout..... but woz is probably just a better pin overall. Will miss shrek

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I own or have owned all of these options.

Stern Pirates is awesome, just got it and we love it. I didn’t think I would like it this much.

Stern POTC is on my wish list, just love the theme.
What has changed your mind and made you enjoy so much ?

Agree on starwars premium, great theme but brutal. For a small collection that gets played by friends and family it is too brutal.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Mnluz:

Stern POTC is on my wish list, just love the theme.
What has changed your mind and made you enjoy so much ?
Agree on starwars premium, great theme but brutal. For a small collection that gets played by friends and family it is too brutal.

It’s just super fun, it’s more of a generic pirate theme, great shots, it is a little stop and go, but the shots are interesting and fun to hit. Feels solid. Pretty playfield

#41 5 years ago

Out of that selection I'd say Spider-Man. The gameplay is kid-friendly and not overly complex. TSPP would be the second choice if you want something deeper. It's not a flow game - and will punish you if you try to treat it like one - but that's not the way kids will play it.

#42 5 years ago

I had a similar question a few months back, see my post below. Ended up with a Strens potc. Kids like sinking the ship and still challenging for me.

I’d like another pin to go with it but not sure if the wife will allow it

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1st-pin-advice-houdini-or-something-else/page/3#post-4713402

#43 5 years ago

Porky's

#44 5 years ago

You’ve got a number of good options on your list.
In my opinion Spider-Man is a good family choice.
My kids had a blast on this pin and enjoyed the overall gameplay.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

I had a similar question a few months back, see my post below. Ended up with a Strens potc.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1st-pin-advice-houdini-or-something-else/page/3#post-4713402

Tks, I just read, great info.
GOTG has received some love and I can clearly understand why. Played and love it.

At the end I decided to keep only two pins and not add a third, rotate the games more and invest a little bit more on each of them.
Downside is eventually let go great games that i would like to keep .

I traded shrek for a Woz, it is a std #500 or so with 7,5 v rgb boards. I have to confess that i am a bit concerned about the quality and light board issues . Scared would probably be a better word. Stern sam system is so reliable .

I sold my MM in great shape to a good friend that lives 5 minutes away and need to find a great pin as a substitute and that goes well with Woz. Potc is on my top 3 with SM and my favorite GOTG.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

You’ve got a number of good options on your list.
In my opinion Spider-Man is a good family choice.
My kids had a blast on this pin and enjoyed the overall gameplay.

Agree, easy to play, solid game, good flow.

For kids (6 & 4) the sinking ship from potc might be bit more fun as they usually dont hold their attention for long.
Since WOZ will be here soon and that is a difficult and deep pin, Bashing groot or sinking ships might be the casual fun that goes well with Woz and keep them interested.

#47 5 years ago

How about MB? Never played it before but I hear it's a lot of fun. Do kids like MB in general?

#48 5 years ago

Well Shrek and MM were great family titles-but looks like you have moved on, I would also add Spiderman, POTC, and Transformers in the mix. My wife and daughter quit playing pinball-unless we have guest over ): Now it is just me and my son playing the majority of games-so I basically just buy what I want to buy.

#49 5 years ago

Stern POTC is a great game and value, wife and kids loved it and regret selling although I personally enjoy the JJP better.

If your kids are in the 5-10 year old range they may find woz, JJp potc, Simpson’s to be a bit of a grind as they are deep and challenging.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Stern POTC is a great game and value, wife and kids loved it and regret selling although I personally enjoy the JJP better.
If your kids are in the 5-10 year old range they may find woz, JJp potc, Simpson’s to be a bit of a grind as they are deep and challenging.

Tks @psw757, WOZ is here, great trade and I am enjoying it a lot.... more them MM IMHO.
Indeed, very deep and challenge, so the next pin will have to be one that has a shorter playtime and rules are easier to understand (as MM was). Stern Potc, SM and Guardians are options.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-third-pinball-?hl=luzur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.