Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 202 posts
  • 114 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best themed game with the worst gameplay”

• Stern star wars 31 votes
      22%
    • Stern indiana Jones 18 votes
      13%
    • Stargate 4 votes
      3%
    • Ghostbusters 29 votes
      21%
    • Transformers 5 votes
      4%
    • Avengers 6 votes
      4%
    • Batman 66 2 votes
      1%
    • T2 1 vote
      1%
    • Jetsons 10 votes
      7%
    • Thunderbirds 9 votes
      6%
    • Munsters 3 votes
      2%
    • Primus 1 vote
      1%
    • Beatles 4 votes
      3%
    • TMNT 11 votes
      8%
    • Super Mario Bros 7 votes
      5%

(141 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2019-07-10-01-49-16 (resized).png
    20190710_003848 (resized).png
    IMG_4233 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4232 (resized).jpeg
    There are 202 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 4 years ago
    Quoted from phoenixpin:

Another vote for Stern Star Wars.
    Context:
    - I understand the rules very well
    - I regularly get great scores and play it frequently
    - I love and prefer challenging games
    So why do I hate the gameplay?
    1. If you only define gameplay as layout, I’d point to the questionable design choices of plunge to a brick wall followed by left outlane, poor angle of the Death Star ramp, meaninglessly placed and irrelevant pop bumpers, and horseshoe shot that can be adjusted at home but is often center drain on location.
    2. If gameplay includes toys, then the weakness of Star Wars is obvious.
    The point is... flaws exist in it even if you think the code saves it.

I enjoy parts of the SW code a lot, but I think the video mode in home use would get super repetitive. Nothing better than playing the video mode as Han Solo, followed by another video mode immediately after on the same shot (already lit from the target bank). I mean if I want to play a video game, I have lots of those already....

Its free points in competition if you get a big multiplier on the shot but is that something you really want?

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from dc2010:

I don't see Gilligan's island

Hmmm, even though 6 people mentioned it.

#153 4 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Hmmm, even though 6 people mentioned it.

I missed that one. Is it possible to add it in? I don't see a way to do it.

#154 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I missed that one. Is it possible to add it in? I don't see a way to do it.

Don;t worry, it's not going to be near the top

#155 4 years ago

Why is Stargate in the poll? That game is fantastic. A lot of people think it's just "shoot the pyramid" all day, but playing through modes is only one half of the game. There's a lot of strategy involved with things like managing your quartz, collecting all the Stargate segments, selecting and collecting the transporter awards you want, raising the super jackpot before wizard modes, I could go on. Not to mention it's just fun to shoot. It's not going to be for everyone, of course, but no way should it be in a discussion about the worst games with best themes.

I'll throw Dr. Dude in the discussion. I love the cheesy theme, but unless I see super dude is close to being lit and I have a chance at getting a high score, I have no interest in playing it. I just find it too slow and repetitive to hold my interest.

#156 4 years ago

Rolling Stones

#157 4 years ago

Spy Hunter

#158 4 years ago

I challenge anyone who has spent time with BBBB to explain why you think it’s gameplay surpasses any other machine mentioned in this thread.

BBBB by a mile.

#159 4 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

I challenge anyone who has spent time with BBBB to explain why you think it’s gameplay surpasses any other machine mentioned in this thread.

It does not...but the theme is pure shit.

EDIT: I shouldn't say "pure" shit. Classic WB cartoons are great...but by 1991 I don;t feel they were classic anymore.

#160 4 years ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

Why is Stargate in the poll? That game is fantastic. A lot of people think it's just "shoot the pyramid" all day, but playing through modes is only one half of the game. There's a lot of strategy involved with things like managing your quartz, collecting all the Stargate segments, selecting and collecting the transporter awards you want, raising the super jackpot before wizard modes, I could go on. Not to mention it's just fun to shoot. It's not going to be for everyone, of course, but no way should it be in a discussion about the worst games with best themes.
    I'll throw Dr. Dude in the discussion. I love the cheesy theme, but unless I see super dude is close to being lit and I have a chance at getting a high score, I have no interest in playing it. I just find it too slow and repetitive to hold my interest.

Sorry, I like stargate too. I was just trying to add options for games that had multiple suggestions already.
    I forgot gilligans island too (i game that i like as well), but it apparently had several votes.

As a disclaimer...I did add the poll at about 2am.

#161 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktownhero:

Oh come on with Stern Star Wars in these answers... People don't know what they are missing there. The gameplay is objectively fast and smooth and the code is unmatched for home or competitive play. I guess, unfortunately, it's almost too good of a game to be appreciated at the casual, location-only level.

I think Star Wars gets a bad wrap because of the bare pf. It just turns people off I guess. Too bad, because the code on SW is actually pretty brilliant, and I think the pin shoots great. There are so many different ways to approach the game that it will take a long time for it to get stale.

And yes, I could definitely do without the video mode.

#162 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Sorry, I like stargate too. I was just trying to add options for games that had multiple suggestions already.
    I forgot gilligans island too (i game that i like as well), but it apparently had several votes.
    As a disclaimer...I did add the poll at about 2am.

Oh yeah, that's fine, I was just kind of curious why it was brought up here.

#163 4 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Too bad, because the code on SW is actually pretty brilliant,...

Been wondering if GOT & SW will be the only ones like it going forward. Would be a neat little wrinkle historically, but I'm hoping they do more.

#164 4 years ago

As in selecting a starting house/character that cannot be changed, that makes the rule set specific for each respective house/character?

I don't have enough time in on GOT, but I know you always pick House of Martel(?) and you always pick Leia(?) on SW...It's been a while since I've played either so pardon me on the "correct" picks.

#165 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

I don't have enough time in on GOT, but I know you always pick House of Martel(?) and you always pick Leia(?) on SW...It's been a while since I've played either so pardon me on the "correct" picks.

Usually I will pick the same house/character but it's not Martell and Laia. I go Tyrell & R2
    What does laia do...increase mode length?

EDIT: As we've been saying since early GOT days I wish they had a random selection option

#166 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Usually I will pick the same house/character but it's not Martell and Laia. I go Tyrell & R2
    What does laia do...increase mode length?
    EDIT: As we've been saying since early GOT days I wish they had a random selection option

Exactly the two I meant.

Which begs me to ask, what is the point if everyone just picks the same ones every time?

Yes, I understand the difference between tournament play/strategy and home/location play/strategy.

The idea of basically having 5 different game codes in one game is awesome, but in execution, everyone just takes the same one, haha.

#167 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

Exactly the two I meant.
    Which begs me to ask, what is the point if everyone just picks the same ones every time?
    The idea of basically having 5 different game codes in one game is awesome, but in execution, everyone just takes the same one, haha.

Sure I see what you're saying and agree to a certain extent. I think it's nice that the ability to choose is there, you will always pick Martell but I will always pick Tyrell...so in some respects it's doing the job it intends. I see it as a nice/cool feature in the game, not a massive selling point. I was playing a dipshit...er...friend the other day whom picks Han and goes "tie fighters all day." I pick R2 and work more on Multipliers so it's a little diff'rent angle.

#168 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sure I see what you're saying and agree to a certain extent. I think it's nice that the ability to choose is there, you will always pick Martell but I will always pick Tyrell...so in some respects it's doing the job it intends. I see it as a nice/cool feature in the game, not a massive selling point. I was playing a dipshit...er...friend the other day whom picks Han and goes "tie fighters all day." I pick R2 and work more on Multipliers so it's a little diff'rent angle.

That is my low level tourney strategy. Han into tie fighter mb into multipliers into video mode then followed by hoth multiball.

As much as I don't like the video mode it is arguably the best video mode ever in a pinball. I just don't like video modes.

#169 4 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

That is my low level tourney strategy. Han into tie fighter mb into multipliers into video mode then followed by hoth multiball.
    As much as I don't like the video mode it is arguably the best video mode ever in a pinball. I just don't like video modes.

I always thought the SW video mode was pretty cool.

#170 4 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

That is my low level tourney strategy.

Yeah it's hard to pass up in a tourney for sure. That's sort of the bad side of weighting rules like that.
    There are a few people that play Greyjoy in GOT...but Lannister? Never met anyone other than people just playing to put the high score on there which does add a little more playability to a game I guess. Stark...Baratheon?

#171 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah it's hard to pass up in a tourney for sure. That's sort of the bad side of weighting rules like that.
    There are a few people that play Greyjoy in GOT...but Lannister? Never met anyone other than people just playing to put the high score on there which does add a little more playability to a game I guess. Stark...Baratheon?

What is the best mode for you on SW? Worst?

#172 4 years ago

Oh that fucking level 3 endor mission can suck me....brutal that one. Can light Saber duel count a s a mode? Whilst everyone cries aboot it breaking their aunt flow I just beat it real quick.

#173 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh that fucking level 3 endor mission can suck me....brutal that one. Can light Saber duel count a s a mode? Whilst everyone cries aboot it breaking their aunt flow I just beat it real quick.

Maybe i need to give it more of an opportunity trying out more modes...

Star wars is definitely a DREAM theme for me. Im a big movie guy

#174 4 years ago

Im not sure if these have been listed yet, but jurassic park lost world, waterworld, and space jam (to a lesser extent) have to be high on this list.
    The original Jurassic park was a fantastic movie and a GREAT pin. Lost world was an interesting movie, but horrible pin.
    Waterworld was a movie i really liked. Futuristic sci fi themes are my thing. The pinball had so much possibility, but failed miserably.
    I feel Space jam also had lots of potential with zero payoff in the end.

#175 4 years ago

I agree. SW should not be mentioned at all here. I know it's a bit of a letdown for fans for different reasons and some of the gameplay is flawed but it's a solid game designed by the king of flow. You can't fault the game if it's not setup properly on location or maintained properly. Any game can be a victim of that.

#176 4 years ago

Star wars and ghostbusters are currently tied for the lead.

#177 4 years ago

Just played Primus.... what a let down

#178 4 years ago

How the hell is Thunderbirds not winning this poll?
    Oh yeah the theme is sucks too!
    What is the next pinball he is doing I wonder ( not the ICB rip off )

#179 4 years ago

what the f*** is Transformers doing in this list !?
    and even poor, 4 guys have named it... :/

#180 4 years ago

I’m glad to see DIRTY HARRY hasn’t been mentioned. Definitely an underrated game. GO AHEAD MAKE MY DAY.

#181 4 years ago

Spy Hunter

#182 4 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

I’m glad to see DIRTY HARRY hasn’t been mentioned. Definitely an underrated game. GO AHEAD MAKE MY DAY.

I love dirty harry. It is easily one of the most underrated games out there. Great theme too.

#183 4 years ago
    Quoted from RipleYYY:

what the f*** is Transformers doing in this list !?

Horrible awfull theme. Movies are universally hated

#184 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I love dirty harry. It is easily one of the most underrated games out there. Great theme too.

It fucking sucks. And I love the theme.

#185 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Horrible awfull theme. Movies are universally hated

but the gameplay is very good, including/working very well with the (usual Lonnie) code...

#186 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

It fucking sucks. And I love the theme.

Please don't sugar coat it...tell us what you really think.

#187 4 years ago
    Quoted from RipleYYY:

but the gameplay is very good, including/working very well with the (usual Lonnie) code...

It has probably the worse mini upper pf in Pinball history, Ironhide. And the starscream rotating/toy target, while I like it a lot, is very poorly implemented into the code. So as far as the LE is concerned, TF whiffs hard because of those 2 items. Otherwise, I think it’s a great game and the integration with what they had to work with is top notch. One of the best sound packages too!

#188 4 years ago

I sure wouldn't say TF has great gameplay. I'd like to not even mention the mini PF but obviously the worst functional toy in pinball history. A Megatron hole that always has problems getting balls stuck, Optimus toy that regularly has issues registering hits, and a plain grey starscream toy that... I've never even understand what the point is....it moves and then ball falls down... Excitement!
    I'll give you the gameplay is better than the audio, which is beyond a horrible mix of random noises shaken up together in a paper bag.

#189 4 years ago

@TF talks :

i got a PRO than...

#190 4 years ago

I love my TFLE. Took one of the springs off Optimus’s feet from under the playfield and the hits went from registering 3/10 to about 7/10. Never had an issue with megatron getting balls to not register. And I love the mini play field... when it’s not in its mode I don’t have an issue with it and in its mode I love the old EM noises it makes and walking the ball up the mini playfield is fun to me, reminds me of that shoot the moon game with the marble and 2 rods. The only thing I would ever change at this point is the starscream platform to mirror the pro set up. But that’s just me but because this is “oPINionside” now, I’ll probably get 10,000 down votes and moderated for defending something the majority doesn’t agree with

#191 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I’ll probably get 10,000 down votes and moderated for defending something the majority doesn’t agree with

I gave you an up vote, just because you didn't expect it (and I kinda agree with you).

#192 4 years ago

Star wars has taken the lead.
    I have to wonder if people really hate it, or if they just expected more?

#193 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Doesn't have enough toys for people and there's the big movement against points in pinball now for some bizarre reason. Lots of folks don't like the multiples and think the game is too confusing.

#194 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

The only playfield feature (premium/LE hyperloop) is frustratingly difficult. Most games I’m involved with it never gets made. Otherwise the playfield is barren and devoid of Star Wars-y features.

The multiplier is a bonus irritant for people who do not prefer to entertain a hefty dose of math while they are playing.

#195 4 years ago

actually amazed SW is beating GB. play each pro side by side and you try to tell me GB plays better. GTFO

air balls over the outer lanes for centuries on GB. brick shot air balls, just air balls to be air balls. I've never played a stern with such horrible air balls.

did i mention air balls?

#196 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

actually amazed SW is beating GB. play each pro side by side and you try to tell me GB plays better. GTFO
    air balls over the outer lanes for centuries on GB. brick shot air balls, just air balls to be air balls. I've never played a stern with such horrible air balls.
    did i mention air balls?

I can’t say GB plays better but Star Wars is such a better theme to me that the theme/play ratio says SW ‘wins’ this competition.

#197 4 years ago

Stern Avengers. As successful as the "Marvel Studios" Avengers movies have been, this is one disappointing pinball machine. Black Widow vs Hawkeye as a mode? Really? With Avengers 2 and Infinity + Endgame movies i really think Stern can make a wayyyyyy better pinball machine if they try again. A better Avengers pinball machine would definitely make some money on location and for home buyers.

#198 4 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

I can’t say GB plays better but Star Wars is such a better theme to me that the theme/play ratio says SW ‘wins’ this competition.

understandable by that means. I was about 1 second away from preordering a GB years ago as it was a dream theme for me...glad i played it first. It is probably has some of my favorite art, music, and callouts for a stern in years...but the gameplay makes it not much more than an expensive night light in my opinion.

#199 4 years ago
    Quoted from Uncanny:

Stern Avengers. As successful as the "Marvel Studios" Avengers movies have been, this is one disappointing pinball machine. Black Widow vs Hawkeye as a mode? Really? With Avengers 2 and Infinity + Endgame movies i really think Stern can make a wayyyyyy better pinball machine if they try again. A better Avengers pinball machine would definitely make some money on location and for home buyers.

Ironman release in 2008
    Hulk in 2008
    Iron man 2 in 2010
    Thor in 2011
    Captain america 2011
    the avengers in 2012 alongside the pin

Avengers was popular then, but you can't look back on the pin now based on what was going on then and say it should have been better. There was literally only one Avengers movie.

That is also the time when pinball was just starting to pick back up. JJP was making announcements but Avengers and WOZ were release within months of each other. Things still hadn't "taken off" at that point. Stern just figuring out they could gouge people on different trim options.

All that aside, the LE is more fun

#200 4 years ago

Ghostbusters. It has everything except the most important thing, gameplay. A gargantuan let down.

There are 202 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-theme-with-worst-gameplay/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.