Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 202 posts
  • 114 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best themed game with the worst gameplay”

• Stern star wars 31 votes
      22%
    • Stern indiana Jones 18 votes
      13%
    • Stargate 4 votes
      3%
    • Ghostbusters 29 votes
      21%
    • Transformers 5 votes
      4%
    • Avengers 6 votes
      4%
    • Batman 66 2 votes
      1%
    • T2 1 vote
      1%
    • Jetsons 10 votes
      7%
    • Thunderbirds 9 votes
      6%
    • Munsters 3 votes
      2%
    • Primus 1 vote
      1%
    • Beatles 4 votes
      3%
    • TMNT 11 votes
      8%
    • Super Mario Bros 7 votes
      5%

(141 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2019-07-10-01-49-16 (resized).png
    20190710_003848 (resized).png
    IMG_4233 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4232 (resized).jpeg
    There are 202 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

Ghostbusters

Love the theme, love the art, love the callouts, love the sound - not a fan of the gameplay

#102 4 years ago

IJ4
    T2
    Vector

#103 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

There are some REALLY popular games being listed, to my surprise. I guess it goes to show that different strokes work for different folks.

There have been quite a few listed where I’m saying “Hey, I like that game!”. But yeah, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

#104 4 years ago

Batman 66........Best Artwork and Code, Worst game play.
    Had potential to become a great game, needed a better playfield design, instead of that rethemed playfield and that lame "rotisserie".

#105 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chapmant:

Some may disagree, but Judge Dredd could've done way better in the gameplay department so it isn't repetitive.

Just curious as to what you mean. JD has 11 different modes to play thru plus an additional four that are specific to supergame. Dm by comparison only has five modes.
    Not super deep compared to today's games, and JD definatly has its faults, but repetitive isn't something I think of when it comes to JD.

#106 4 years ago

+1 for Vector

#107 4 years ago

Spectrum

Great theme, but only needing to hit two targets in a 3 DT bank and those stupid hard plastic slings???

Just.........no.

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Bugs Bunny Birthday Ball.

Drop the Mic!!

#109 4 years ago

Primus.

Was so excited for it then when it was revealed I had the look of a kid unwrapping a pair of socks on christmas morning.

#110 4 years ago

Stern SW
    IJ4
    GB

Love SW. dream theme. Just could not get into the Sterns SW pin. And no one else could that came over to play it. Brutal gameplay. And fuck that DeathStar ramp shot.

#113 4 years ago

Wizard of Oz.....a complete turd of a game!

#114 4 years ago

hahah, stern star wars haters...

just too much game for you to handle. probably should stick with something you can just flip too like billy button pusher.

#115 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chicoman:

I hope you are joking.

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I hope you are joking.

Haha seriously. I think we can all agree (Dr Frieghtner excluded) that it is not the greatest theme.

#117 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Haha seriously. I think we can all agree (Dr Frieghtner excluded) that it is not the greatest theme.

I disagree. It is widely considered one of the top movies ever made. It has won numerous awards for the film and its musical score (amongst other cinematic aspects), spawned multiple spinoffs/sequels/reiterations, and has generated many common household phrases/quotes that are considered common lexicon today. It is a film recognized worldwide and its charm has lasted for over 80 years.

Wizard of oz changed film and culture...LITERALLY.

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Wizard of oz changed film and culture...LITERALLY.

So did "Triumph of the Will"...great pinball theme?

#119 4 years ago

Munsters is a bust for me.
    Maverick.
    South Park....hilarious but game play...meh.

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

So did "Triumph of the Will"...great pinball theme?

Try again. It is a well-known propaganda film...nothing else.
    Keep googling...

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Keep googling...

Yeah I had to google that one...you're the only one with a communications degree around here buddy

I never thought it was a horrible idea, and defended WOZ against the "that's gay" crowd when it was coming out...but save a few folks whom all seem to love to type the historic virtues and amount of monies collectables go for, it's just not a slam dunk. Guess what, neither are a lot of great games.

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from Brady2Gronk:

I gotta agree with GB. I owned the LE. I loved the art, the toys were awesome, the video scenes cool, the audio and call outs were good too but the damn drains, wide flipper spacing and disappointing code just made it too frustrating to keep.

GB is pretty fun to me. Agree 100% on the flipper gap....most people don't know but the gap was increased after Trudeau apparently already had his wide gap in there. How they missed this is crazy. I put carrot flippers in and that really helped but without it I would hate it.

#123 4 years ago
    Quoted from PiperPinball:

Stern SW
    IJ4
    GB
    Love SW. dream theme. Just could not get into the Sterns SW pin. And no one else could that came over to play it. Brutal gameplay. And fuck that DeathStar ramp shot.

You should give the pro a shot.

Listen, I’ve shared my story a long time ago but I’ll bring it up again. Like you, and many others, I absolutely hated SW as well. But, I did always seem to have more fun on the pro than prem. But still, I just couldn’t get into the game. Then, I started talking with friends and fellow pinsiders who enjoyed the game and understood its ruleset so I got to thinking, maybe just maybe there is something there. So I decided to buy a game I hated, SW PRO, hoping my friends and pinsiders I respected knew something I didn’t. Well, they did. Once you learn the ruleset and shots (like most Pinball’s), it becomes an eye opening fantastic game. The ruleset is unorthodox so it’s hard for many people to grasp the concept. But once you experience it, you’ll see how much breadth and depth there is to the game.

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Then, I started talking with friends and fellow pinsiders who enjoyed the game and understood its ruleset so I...

Your welcome

Pro all day for me...but maybe I'm just more used to it.

#125 4 years ago

OK, not mentioned yet. Stargate. Never had a pinball with such agressive play against you instead of playing with you. Did not like that way of playing pinball.

#126 4 years ago
    Quoted from Metengo:

OK, not mentioned yet. Stargate.

Solid movie, horrible horrible pinball; Good call.

#127 4 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

You should give the pro a shot.
    Listen, I’ve shared my story a long time ago but I’ll bring it up again. Like you, and many others, I absolutely hated SW as well. But, I did always seem to have more fun on the pro than prem. But still, I just couldn’t get into the game. Then, I started talking with friends and fellow pinsiders who enjoyed the game and understood its ruleset so I got to thinking, maybe just maybe there is something there. So I decided to buy a game I hated, SW PRO, hoping my friends and pinsiders I respected knew something I didn’t. Well, they did. Once you learn the ruleset and shots (like most Pinball’s), it becomes an eye opening fantastic game. The ruleset is unorthodox so it’s hard for many people to grasp the concept. But once you experience it, you’ll see how much breadth and depth there is to the game.

Yup. People don't know what they are missing with Star Wars when they prejudge it the way they do. The game is unreal; it genuinely might be the best game code we've seen to date. Its incredibly deep and fun, and honestly is there a better ruleset for competition? It's so good.

#128 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktownhero:

Yup. People don't know what they are missing with Star Wars when they prejudge it the way they do. The game is unreal; it genuinely might be the best game code we've seen to date. Its incredibly deep and fun, and honestly is there a better ruleset for competition? It's so good.

I actually like the SWPro and the GBPro wasnt bad either. But hated the Prem/LE of SW and GB. That damn Death-star ramp shot!

#129 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I hope you are joking.

It's Gary so what do you expect.

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktownhero:

Funniest thing I ever heard. The best code by far is TWD
    Premium/LE and it's not even close. Star Wars code is a jumble multiplier mess.

#131 4 years ago

Twilight Zone

#133 4 years ago

Nightmare on Elm Street

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chicoman:

Wishlist ?

#135 4 years ago

Now thats funny.....

#136 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Now thats funny.....

A few of these have been surprising...so i thought i would ask.

#137 4 years ago

Transformers
    Avengers

#138 4 years ago

Another vote for Stern Star Wars.

Context:
    - I understand the rules very well
    - I regularly get great scores and play it frequently
    - I love and prefer challenging games

So why do I hate the gameplay?
    1. If you only define gameplay as layout, I’d point to the questionable design choices of plunge to a brick wall followed by left outlane, poor angle of the Death Star ramp, meaninglessly placed and irrelevant pop bumpers, and horseshoe shot that can be adjusted at home but is often center drain on location.
    2. If gameplay includes toys, then the weakness of Star Wars is obvious.

The point is... flaws exist in it even if you think the code saves it.

#139 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Harley Davidson stern. What a dud

all Harley Davidson machines are duds!

#141 4 years ago

I don't see Gilligan's island

#142 4 years ago

GB - Theme is up there with BTF. Massive letdown.
    Stern SW - Know the game well and find it also to be a massive letdown.

#143 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

all Harley Davidson machines are duds!

I'd have the Bally version.

#144 4 years ago
    Quoted from phoenixpin:

Another vote for Stern Star Wars.
    Context:
    - I understand the rules very well
    - I regularly get great scores and play it frequently
    - I love and prefer challenging games
    So why do I hate the gameplay?
    1. If you only define gameplay as layout, I’d point to the questionable design choices of plunge to a brick wall followed by left outlane, poor angle of the Death Star ramp, meaninglessly placed and irrelevant pop bumpers, and horseshoe shot that can be adjusted at home but is often center drain on location.
    2. If gameplay includes toys, then the weakness of Star Wars is obvious.
    The point is... flaws exist in it even if you think the code saves it.

Nailed it. It’s a fun game just like BKSOR is a fun game. Most Ritchie games are fun. But they could have and should have been so much more.

#145 4 years ago

If I was to pick what I consider best theme, worst gameplay for pinball it would be South Park (not best theme, but a good one wasted IMO)

Never really been a fan of gobble holes, any pins with toilets on them, the winter themed art and it was done way to early in a show with 20+ seasons now.

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from dc2010:

I don't see Gilligan's island

That thread is not about: Worst theme worst pin, so there is no vote for GI

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Pin2000 Star Wars...just terrible.

Although I never played this game, I recall a comedian, Jim Jeffries. He is also a pinball enthusiast, and he said in an interview that " Star Wars sucked so bad that it killed pinball (Star Wars Pinball 2000)"

https://funwithbonus.com/the-nerdist-pinball-talk-with-jim-jefferies-video/

#148 4 years ago

Another vote for Star Wars. A great theme wasted in my opinion.

As a massive SR fan i feel this is one of his weakest layouts. Throw in stop start rules with a flow game and you've got a massive disappointment.

All things considered, Stern dropped the ball on this one!

#149 4 years ago

Star Wars is certainly the biggest/bestest/most popular theme IMO. Regardless of how you feel about the pin.

#150 4 years ago
    Quoted from phoenixpin:

1. If you only define gameplay as layout, I’d point to the questionable design choices of plunge to a brick wall followed by left outlane, poor angle of the Death Star ramp,...

I love the game but there is a big diff'rence pro & Prem+ for sure, Still don't understand the pro only post. The Death Star ramp compared to the pro is less forgiving as well.

There are 202 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-theme-with-worst-gameplay/page/3?hl=pinb1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.