Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 202 posts
  • 114 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best themed game with the worst gameplay”

• Stern star wars 31 votes
      22%
    • Stern indiana Jones 18 votes
      13%
    • Stargate 4 votes
      3%
    • Ghostbusters 29 votes
      21%
    • Transformers 5 votes
      4%
    • Avengers 6 votes
      4%
    • Batman 66 2 votes
      1%
    • T2 1 vote
      1%
    • Jetsons 10 votes
      7%
    • Thunderbirds 9 votes
      6%
    • Munsters 3 votes
      2%
    • Primus 1 vote
      1%
    • Beatles 4 votes
      3%
    • TMNT 11 votes
      8%
    • Super Mario Bros 7 votes
      5%

(141 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2019-07-10-01-49-16 (resized).png
    20190710_003848 (resized).png
    IMG_4233 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4232 (resized).jpeg
    There are 202 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Well, in the 80's...
    Fire has impeccable theme integration with below-average game play for a sys11.

It would be interesting to ask this question for each era.
    E.g. EMs, early ss, mid to late 80s, early 90s, golden age mid 90s, 2000s, and 2010 and later

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I really don't think I've ever been more disappointed in a game than Stern's Indiana Jones.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. I had blocked that one out of my mind it was so disappointing. Almost everything about that game is let down beside the theme and the ark.

There is a great Gameroom magazine article from back in the day that talks about how Borg wanted the game to be. The Crystal Skull ramp was going to be a mine cart ramp among other things from what I remember. It was a lean time for Stern though, bean counters got their say and Stern ended up releasing the disappointment that it is today.

#53 4 years ago

Ghostbusters is the #1 seed for me but GOT Premium is not far behind (but GOT Pro is pretty awesome).

#54 4 years ago

indiana jones from Stern

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

...the match sequence alone in the original Williams Indy is way better than anything in the Stern version.

Stern version actually has really nice animations.

There, that''s the one good thing aboot that POS.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from GuiitarMan:

Stern Star Wars

18 people that don’t know how to play the game or don’t like challenging games.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

18 people that don’t know how to play the game or don’t like challenging games.

Yeah I can understand diff'rent skill levels though. Now, people that are claiming Episode 1 was even a decent theme are the ones that scare me.

#58 4 years ago

Iron Maiden. I dig their music, love the look and art on the actual pin but man the gameplay sucks.

Both me and a friend were really hyped on playing the pin as we both are metal heads and have listened to Maiden a lot. After playing it for like 10 minutes we were both so dissapointed and left for other pins around it, never to return to it. Such a letdown.

#59 4 years ago

There are a few, But diner rings out great theme, game play sucks.

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

After playing it for like 10 minutes we were both so dissapointed and left for other pins around it, never to return to it. Such a letdown.

Wow

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. I had blocked that one out of my mind it was so disappointing. Almost everything about that game is let down beside the theme and the ark.

At least B/W Indiana Jones exist for fans of the theme...a good game does exist if you ignore the Stern version. In the case of GB...well...there's no alternate.

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from MJR8peanut:

munsters... sorry
    MJR

I’m actually pissed off Munsters sucks so bad. When I heard the theme I was instantly excited. I loved that show. But I knew I couldn’t buy a game before I played it, even though I was so tempted to break that rule. Then I heard such bad things... but I hear that about lots of new games I end up liking. Unfortunately then I played it. I was let down.

I get it, sometimes you need to just put out games. And not all of them can hit the sweet spot. Lots of them do, and even some surprises. I’m still shocked I own MET, AC/DC, and Aerosmith. But the gameplay on those is just so good that I almost had to own them. Theme be damned. I’ll take a great player over a great theme every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Iron Maiden. I dig their music, love the look and art on the actual pin but man the gameplay sucks.
    Both me and a friend were really hyped on playing the pin as we both are metal heads and have listened to Maiden a lot. After playing it for like 10 minutes we were both so dissapointed and left for other pins around it, never to return to it. Such a letdown.

You and your friend were high on something I take it? You are wayyyyy in the minority on Maiden there.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

There are a few, But diner rings out great theme, game play sucks.

Why is serving food in a restaurant a great potential pinball theme ? That’s right up there with motel housekeeping. All are noble professions but great titles?

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from chatplume51:

indiana jones from Stern

When I wanted to buy my first ("and only" - ha!) pinball machine I had my heart set on Indiana Jones. Thank God I didn't.

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from GuiitarMan:

Stern Star Wars

I respectfully disagree. To me the theme is okay, but the gameplay is outstanding!

#67 4 years ago

Bugs Bunny Birthday Ball.

#68 4 years ago

Bttf

Then

GB

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Interesting. First I've heard of someone loving the music but hating the gameplay. Usually it's the opposite!

#70 4 years ago

TSPP
    Southpark
    Sorry to say, but Munsters falls into this category too

#71 4 years ago

I don't think ive ever even seen a predator or alien pin

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

They were both crash 'n burn scam projects by money-stealing scumbags.

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

Gilligan's Island.

Oh no you didn't !
    SKIPPER
    BEST GAME EVER

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Predator was garbage from the start, only a couple maybe kind of sort of made.
    Alien def better as it went it to production.... For a hot minute.

#75 4 years ago

Munster, GOT, Thunderbirds, Wipeout and Surfing' Safari come immediately to mind.

#76 4 years ago

Probably Humpty Dumpty. I'm a huge nursery rhyme fan (nursehead)

#77 4 years ago

Gilligan's Island is the poster for this thread

#78 4 years ago

The Walking Dead

Game was rushed and could’ve been so much better

#79 4 years ago

I am kind of surprised as Star Wars Premium is one of my favorite games and is the game I play the most right now in my collection. I think it looks pretty sweet too....

IMG_4232 (resized).jpegIMG_4232 (resized).jpegIMG_4233 (resized).jpegIMG_4233 (resized).jpeg
    #80 4 years ago

Octoberfest.. great theme. Bad game

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

Star Wars Premium is one of my favorite games and is the game I play the most right now in my collection.

Mine's not going anywhere. Great game with great theme. So many options and modes it just doesn't get old.

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

I am kind of surprised as Star Wars Premium is one of my favorite games and is the game I play the most right now in my collection. I think it looks pretty sweet too....[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice lineup.

I so miss my BM66.

#83 4 years ago

My vote is Batman '66.

#84 4 years ago

I gotta agree with GB. I owned the LE. I loved the art, the toys were awesome, the video scenes cool, the audio and call outs were good too but the damn drains, wide flipper spacing and disappointing code just made it too frustrating to keep.

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

Why is serving food in a restaurant a great potential pinball theme ? That’s right up there with motel housekeeping. All are noble professions but great titles?

Diners (apart from the more general category of restaurants) are an important part of American culture, which by itself makes this a viable theme. Of course it could have sucked if not well done, but they executed it beautifully with the theme integration into the game (e.g., jukebox, end-of-ball "tips") and especially with the artwork. (My all-time favorite backglass, except perhaps for CFTBL.)

I happen to like the gameplay as well.

#86 4 years ago

The Avengers

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from Scoot:

The Beetles. I'm sorry but I tried liking it. I really did.

Actually, perhaps you overlooked that it's a wordplay band name (Beatles, as in drum beat, for example) and not Beetles (as in the insect). Now, go back and knock down those 11 fantastic drop targets!

Sea Witch was a great design and The Beatles improved upon that highly successful design, in my opinion.

Added over 5 years ago:

*Seawitch (spelling correction)

#88 4 years ago

My vote goes to...

T2

Booooooring. And repetitive.

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I really don't think I've ever been more disappointed in a game than Stern's Indiana Jones.

Me either ;(

#90 4 years ago

Magic Girl for the win.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

I am kind of surprised as Star Wars Premium is one of my favorite games and is the game I play the most right now in my collection. I think it looks pretty sweet too....[quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from John_I:

Mine's not going anywhere. Great game with great theme. So many options and modes it just doesn't get old.

Agreed! I almost feel sorry for people who don’t think it’s a good game. It’s a great game! Fast, brutal, challenging, with a ruleset that probably offers the most breadth of any other pin out there.

#92 4 years ago

Some may disagree, but Judge Dredd could've done way better in the gameplay department so it isn't repetitive.

#94 4 years ago

DE Playboy

#95 4 years ago

There are some REALLY popular games being listed, to my surprise. I guess it goes to show that different strokes work for different folks.

#96 4 years ago

The Hobbit.

Was really hoping for a LOTR2 type of game here, but that thing is a turd. 2 lame ramps, 1000 drop targets no one cares about, and aweful Smaug toy execution.

#97 4 years ago

Viper Night Drivin

#99 4 years ago
    Quoted from Thrillhouse:

[quoted image]

I've always thought raven would be a hilarious re-them as hot shots: part deux

Screenshot_2019-07-10-01-49-16 (resized).pngScreenshot_2019-07-10-01-49-16 (resized).png
    #100 4 years ago
    Quoted from That370Z:

The Walking Dead
    Game was rushed and could’ve been so much better

Love TWD show, the pin to me looked like a typical stern generic art package

Popeye, Gilligan's, hook,sf2, lw3,

Raven was just bad all around

Diner is one of my favorite themes, and gameplay isn't the best ever , but far from the worst,

There are 202 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-theme-with-worst-gameplay/page/2?hl=tuxedomask23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.