Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 328 posts
  • 170 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by dozer1
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

72532496300__54B7D0BF-4C0D-42CF-BAAE-677D68FFD3F4 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5930 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0174 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8118 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8119 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpg
    D357A0F6-1A93-4CFB-940E-FBC97E7E3CB0 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0112 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0113 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8667 (resized).jpg
    MilliVanilli.jpg
    IMG_2214-1024.JPG
    IMG_2213-1024.JPG
    IMG_2212-1024.JPG
    There are 328 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
    #201 8 months ago

whirlwind, radical, earthshaker

#202 8 months ago

I really enjoy the music packages on B2k and swords of fury. For some reason I feel they went above and beyond on those two.
    Both would have to be on my best sys 11 list..

#203 8 months ago
    Quoted from topkat:

I really enjoy the music packages on B2k and swords of fury. For some reason I feel they went above and beyond on those two.

BK2000 is more my style compared to Whirlwind’s mousy music. The One handed bandit play style brings it down. IMO

#204 8 months ago
    Quoted from topkat:

Agreed, both have great soundtracks.

SoF has an amazing buildup towards and into Multiball, where with every ball lock the tune changes a little bit.

I do think the singing in BK2k brings it down a bit. Great soundtrack, but for me it works better as a novelty. I think it gets repetitive quickly in a home environment. Same counts for the other singing System 11s Rollergames and Riverboat Gambler.

Two other amazing System 11 soundtracks are Banzai Run and Space Station. They do the same as SoF, where with every key achievement (ball locked, multiball, jackpot) the main soundtrack changes. All adding to a beautiful buildup that eventually explodes when you score that jackpot. Pure works of art.

#205 8 months ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

BK2000 is more my style compared to Whirlwind’s mousy music. The One handed bandit play style brings it down. IMO

The callout sound quality is what kills it for me on Whirlwind in the sound department. The music is ok, not sure it really fits the theme.

#206 8 months ago

BK2K soundtrack/music is the MOST annoying thing ever. Speech in pinball does nothing for the games from the 80's and to RE-empahsise the speech and cheesy insulting on BK a decade later is a waste of time and turn off for myself.

I was hoping so hard that Swords of Rage was nothing like BK2K but essentially, the premium version of SOR is an even worse version of BK2K and not a red of the original... Not sure how that's even possible they screwed it up even more but somehow they did! To top it off there's the absolutely worthless magna save on BKSOR. What a dumpster fire.

Why don't the designers actually put something into the game that ADDS to it's playable value. Like the magnets in Grand Lizard. Those were pure genius.

#207 8 months ago

Elvira, Earthshaker (over Whirlwind... Yes indeed, nothing wrong with Whirlwind though)), and Taxi.

There's the trifecta... Grew up with them, owned all of them later in life.

I love all the system 11 games. But those are my 3 choices.

#208 8 months ago

Rollergames. It has kick-arse music and a prototype 'Picard Maneuver'.

Clive

#209 8 months ago

I've played every system 11 many times. The clear winner is SOF lionman! And Lionman. Lionman.

#210 8 months ago

The charm of system 11’s including the art and sound age like a fine wine, they represent an original and creative slice of time.

However the gameplay on most of them have aged like old cheese left outside on a hot summer day.

#211 8 months ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

The charm of system 11’s including the art and sound age like a fine wine, they represent an original and creative slice of time.
    However the gameplay on most of them have aged like old cheese left outside on a hot summer day.

Most of them?… That might be true but, there’s still at least 10 that are still amazing and hold up today quite well.

#212 8 months ago

I’m really enjoying high speed so far. I haven’t had it long but it is super addictive. The rules are simple but you can use a bit of strategy, very satisfying shots, and it builds to a stressful payoff moment but doesn’t take all day to get there. The sound package is awesome and the light show is great. It was a huge hit with casual player friends over the weekend as well. Everyone wanted to play just one more game. I can see it staying around for a very long time.

#213 8 months ago

High speed is a really important pinball game historically but, it’s also good on so many different levels. You can just tell in 85-86 when that game was out in arcades that it was so far ahead of what any other pinball before it had accomplished. It was an industry changing game, much like Funhouse.

#214 8 months ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

All subjective of course, but I think the gameplay of most system 11s aged very well. Many gameplay principles introduced or refined in the system 11 era are still used in todays games.

#215 8 months ago
    Quoted from Jappie:

All subjective of course, but I think the gameplay of most system 11s aged very well. Many gameplay principles introduced or refined in the system 11 era are still used in todays games.

I agree it was the first beginnings of modes, unique progressive jackpots, possible wizard modes, and increase in scoring potential through story telling.

Given the chance in 2023 I’m usually choosing to play a modern stern or a classic solid state. I respect the era of sys 11, but just don’t revisit it much.

All that said I miss my taxi most of all and would add that again if I found the right one. It’s fun and has that classic charm.

#216 8 months ago

Almost forgot about SOF. I never played one.

#217 8 months ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Most of them?… That might be true but, there’s still at least 10 that are still amazing and hold up today quite well.

Agreed and high speed is definitely one of them.

#218 8 months ago

I've always appreciated System 11s. Best blend of storytelling and easy to understand rules matched with difficult gameplay that doesn't keep the player slogging on for 45 minutes.

"Pick up passengers" "Chase the storm" I can communicate the objectives and how to play in 30 seconds to a new player unfamiliar with pinball, but the layouts are modern enough to hold everyone's attention.

If you asked me what the best System 11 game was 5 years ago, I'd tell you Whirlwind. It's the most "WPC-like" of the games and has a killer layout.

But I think Taxi is the best. I never get tired of it. It has enough difficulty to really keep games short, but enough strategy to keep me entertained and coming back game after game. Plus, it has a killer soundtrack that's criminally underrated. I love the bonus jingle that changes it's flourishes as it gets bigger.

#219 8 months ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I've always appreciated System 11s. Best blend of storytelling and easy to understand rules matched with difficult gameplay that doesn't keep the player slogging on for 45 minutes.
    "Pick up passengers" "Chase the storm" I can communicate the objectives and how to play in 30 seconds to a new player unfamiliar with pinball, but the layouts are modern enough to hold everyone's attention.
    If you asked me what the best System 11 game was 5 years ago, I'd tell you Whirlwind. It's the most "WPC-like" of the games and has a killer layout.
    But I think Taxi is the best. I never get tired of it. It has enough difficulty to really keep games short, but enough strategy to keep me entertained and coming back game after game. Plus, it has a killer soundtrack that's criminally underrated. I love the bonus jingle that changes it's flourishes as it gets bigger.

I thought the EXACT same thing about Taxi about 7 years ago. I bought a Taxi, restored it, and once it was done and I played it hundreds of additional times it simply lost it's charm on me. I traded it for a better system 11. It's a great thought but, my not so popular opinion is that there are some design choices that were made on that game that really keep it from being amazing. The standard jackpot roms made it a LOT more balanced but honestly, Taxi and Diner both suffer similar (and more than one) issues/challenges when played in multiplayer competition. I know some/most? people don't care about that aspect of pinball but I do when asked about "the greatest". The greatest can't and should not be "improved upon" because there is no need.

#220 8 months ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I know some/most? people don't care about that aspect of pinball but I do when asked about "the greatest".

Ok but this did not denote that it needed to be considered for tournament play, right?

#221 8 months ago
    Quoted from Whistles:

Ok but this did not denote that it needed to be considered for tournament play, right?

I understand what you are saying but when considering "the greatest game" all players of all sorts should be taken into account. Leagues, tournaments, bar patrons, home collectors, retailers, route operators, ect. Notations not needed.

Maybe the greatest sys 11 game for home pinball users and casual pinball players is a non factory modified Taxi? Well, I might agree with that statement but why is it a better game for "home user pinball enthusiasts" over Radical!, Whirlwind, Swords of Fury, or Mousin Around? Those are all great for much of the same reasons that Taxi is great.

Personally, I think Taxi was a good one more game machine because the goal was simple but nearly impossible to achieve every time you played the game. I don't feel the same reasons exist for the games that I personally think are better than Taxi. That could be because the jackpot achievement (or lack of one) were placed in classic games to be "the end". If you wanted BIG points, you went for the same jackpot goal again.

BUT, the steps and choices a pinball player is presented with AFTER the end goal happens are an important aspect and design of games as well. That has been elaborated on in many ways for the last 30 years. It's that super mario Bros. syndrome. Amazing and historically significant game that changed the video game industry BUT, once you beat it, it's the same thing over and over again.

For me, games like High Speed and Taxi are perfect examples of why it's important for a designer to consider what the player should do "after jackpot". Tournament nerd talk aside, this is even more relevant now that most machines are NOT on location but, in people's homes.

#222 8 months ago

I definitely think Taxi is great in a multi pin lineup in a home collection. It's super simple, has awesome music as folks have mentioned, and the bell effect is so damn awesome!

I have (had) one that is a hard top with rebuilt flippers and i'd keep it but i can't stand that williams flipper hop. i was about to switch to the low profile rubbers to try to fix it, but then i just got shipping notification on my Labyrinth and it arrives tomorrow. So, I need to make room!

#223 8 months ago
    Quoted from TheBananaPeel69:

I definitely think Taxi is great in a multi pin lineup in a home collection. It's super simple, has awesome music as folks have mentioned, and the bell effect is so damn awesome!
    I have (had) one that is a hard top with rebuilt flippers and i'd keep it but i can't stand that williams flipper hop. i was about to switch to the low profile rubbers to try to fix it, but then i just got shipping notification on my Labyrinth and it arrives tomorrow. So, I need to make room!

Cliffy sells enhanced return frames that typically get rid of the flipper hop. Cliffy is a bit hard to get ahold of these days though. You can also bend the screws or redrill the holes for better alignment.

#224 8 months ago

They are like children....it's hard to choose a favorite.

My favorite that I currently own would be a tie between Whirlwind and Earthshaker. Surprisingly, I really enjoy Pool Sharks. It's a fast game and despite not having Multi-Ball it is pretty fun.

Of the ones I and my father law have owned, there's too many "favorites" but Space Station kicks ass, and I always come back to Dr. Dude.

Chris

IMG_8667 (resized).jpgIMG_8667 (resized).jpg
    #225 8 months ago
    Quoted from sullivcd40:

Cliffy sells enhanced return frames that typically get rid of the flipper hop. Cliffy is a bit hard to get ahold of these days though. You can also bend the screws or redrill the holes for better alignment.

not for the wireframes though, right? i looked at the page and didn't have one.

#226 8 months ago

Radical!

#227 8 months ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

They are like children....it's hard to choose a favorite.
    My favorite that I currently own would be a tie between Whirlwind and Earthshaker. Surprisingly, I really enjoy Pool Sharks. It's a fast game and despite not having Multi-Ball it is pretty fun.
    Of the ones I and my father law have owned, there's too many "favorites" but Space Station kicks ass, and I always come back to Dr. Dude.
    Chris[quoted image]

Impressive

#228 8 months ago

not for the wireframes though, right? i looked at the page and didn't have one.

Ahh, I didn’t realize Taxi didn’t have normal return frames, I’ve (unfortunately) never owned one. Can’t you just bend it back in place?

#229 8 months ago

i think the move is to get the thinner rubbers for flippers.

it's enough of an issue for me to dump it tho!

#230 8 months ago

Wish you were closer!

#231 8 months ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I go back and forth between Taxi and Whirlwind for best System 11. Both have great qualities in different ways.

#232 8 months ago

Have fire and bad cats in the basement. Looking to add a swords of fury. I think I have a lead on one but waiting on seller! My favorite era! Regret getting rid of my Taxi before I started ramping up my sys 11 collection.

IMG_0112 (resized).jpegIMG_0112 (resized).jpegIMG_0113 (resized).jpegIMG_0113 (resized).jpeg
    #233 8 months ago

I've got the thinner rubber on mine and it eliminated the hop and I really like how it plays too.

#234 8 months ago

I still vote for Banzai Run as the best System 11 game: simple yet very challenging goal oriented gameplay, great looks, insane light show, mindblowing soundtrack. On top of that, it's just a marvel of engineering. Stands out in any collection.

Honorable mentions:
    Space Station, Swords of Fury, Taxi, Elvira, Whirlwind, Radical.

#235 8 months ago
    Quoted from Jappie:

I still vote for Banzai Run as the best System 11 game: simple yet very challenging goal oriented gameplay, great looks, insane light show, mindblowing soundtrack. On top of that, it's just a marvel of engineering. Stands out in any collection.
    Honorable mentions:
    Space Station, Swords of Fury, Taxi, Elvira, Whirlwind, Radical.

Each game is different from each other and would make a killer lineup that would make most drool.

#236 8 months ago

I really like the system 11's. They were quite creative in the art and designs. You still had all original themes, which I love, and the rule sets tend to be straight forward but not easy. I don't mind games that there are a few things to complete, and then you just do it again. Growing up in the 80's thats what I was used to.
    If I ever have the room, having a complete collection of system 11's would be sweet.

#237 8 months ago
    Quoted from topkat:

I really like the system 11's. They were quite creative in the art and designs. You still had all original themes, which I love, and the rule sets tend to be straight forward but not easy. I don't mind games that there are a few things to complete, and then you just do it again. Growing up in the 80's thats what I was used to.
    If I ever have the room, having a complete collection of system 11's would be sweet.

That’s what I’m halfway thinking of trying to do. Banzai Run, Elvira, and Radical are of concern though. The first two are pretty pricey for a singular game and the last is just difficult to find. On the other hand, I’m thinking of rounding off with Pinbot, Swords of Fury, Diner, and Mousin around. That would make my system 11 collection have a lot of “the best”

#238 8 months ago
    Quoted from Jmckune:

That’s what I’m halfway thinking of trying to do. Banzai Run, Elvira, and Radical are of concern though. The first two are pretty pricey for a singular game and the last is just difficult to find. On the other hand, I’m thinking of rounding off with Pinbot, Swords of Fury, Diner, and Mousin around. That would make my system 11 collection have a lot of “the best”

I am pretty sure rotordave has (or at least had) every System 11. I know of another collector in the NY area that has most if not all of them as well. It's impressive to see them all lined up.

Chris

1 month later
    #239 7 months ago

Update! Space Station is in the house.

My current ranks are:
    #1 Taxi. I love the characters, their call outs, their shots to pick them up, and the music.
    #2 High Speed. Just a well done pinball machine all the way around. So much innovation. Fun when you get the jackpot shots during multi-ball and the machine goes nuts.
    #3 PinBot. The sounds and music are great.
    #4 Space Station. Fantastic music and lights. Condition Green is really cool. Conceptually same type of game play as High Speed. Make some shots. Lock some balls. Have multi-ball fun. Re-lock balls for jackpot.
    #5 Black Knight 2000. Again, the music and sounds are top notch. The machine is beautiful and very cool looking. I like how the machine taunts you.

I need more time on Mousin' Around, Whirlwind, and Swords of Fury.

#240 7 months ago

A dialed in Taxi.

D357A0F6-1A93-4CFB-940E-FBC97E7E3CB0 (resized).jpegD357A0F6-1A93-4CFB-940E-FBC97E7E3CB0 (resized).jpeg
    #241 7 months ago

Whirlwind might be my favorite of all machines I’ve played. Better imo than Lawlor classics Addams Family (single shot) and Funhouse. Taxi and high speed are both very fun/addictive but scoring relies too heavily on the jackpot. Whirlwind, taxi, high speed are most likely permanent in my collection. Not really interested in owning any other sys 11s.

#242 7 months ago

BK2K has trumped pinbot and taxi as my favorites.

What a fantastic pin. Fast as hell. Fun to shoot. Great rules. Lots to do for a system 11.

#243 7 months ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I am pretty sure rotordave has (or at least had) every System 11. I know of another collector in the NY area that has most if not all of them as well. It's impressive to see them all lined up.
    Chris

Yep, I had all 30 SYS11s for a number of years.

Until a few months ago … I sold off a dozen or so pins and there were a few SYS11s in the cull. Might be a few more at some stage.

As I said to my buddy, “nobody cares - what are they going to put on my headstone, here lies Dave, he had all the System 11 games. WOW!”

Hahaha

I don’t think anyone outside of my close friends has even noticed they are gone.

My only regret is I didn’t sell them 18 mths ago in “peak pinball”. I would have got a few more bucks!

rd

#244 7 months ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

what are they going to put on my headstone, here lies Dave, he had all the System 11 games. WOW!
    rd

If they did, you wouldn’t know. Bc you’d be dead

I am thinking I’ll round it off with Diner, Pinbot, Mousin Around, and Swords of fury.

Including those, are there any others you personally think I may be missing out on? I haven’t played several of them.

My currents are Fire, Earthshaker, Whirlwind, Bad Cats, BK2K, Transporter, Dr. Dude, and Rollergames. I’ve also owned taxi in the past and think if a deal came along, I’d bring it back.

#245 7 months ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

BK2K has trumped pinbot and taxi as my favorites.
    What a fantastic pin. Fast as hell. Fun to shoot. Great rules. Lots to do for a system 11.

The knock on bk2k is that it is very right flipper dominant. Have you found this to be true? I am very leery of single shot games after owning Police Force.

#246 7 months ago

In the near term I'd really like to find a mousin around...

Quoted from sullivcd40:

The knock on bk2k is that it is very right flipper dominant. Have you found this to be true? I am very leery of single shot games after owning Police Force.

It definitely is more right flipper dominant than most. But, since there are 2 right flippers it has never seemed overly repetitive or boring for me. I still get excited every time I send it to the upper playfield. I also love the voicing and the light shows that occur before multi.

#247 7 months ago
    Quoted from Jmckune:

I am thinking I’ll round it off with Diner, Pinbot, Mousin Around, and Swords of fury.

That’s a great list of games. Get them.

Quoted from sullivcd40:

I am very leery of single shot games after owning Police Force.

Police force isn’t one shot. You have to shoot the 4 guys to collect them to get the jackpot. Hey, you can choose to just shoot the centre ramp all day if you want to .. to dissuade that, put some huge posts on the centre ramp to make it a risk shot. Same goes for Mousin and other games with a ramp like that.

WHEREAS with BK2000, there is no reason to shoot anything BUT the upper playfield. All the points are up there, and you can never drain.

I guess it comes down to how proficient you are at playing - a decent player will shoot up top every time.

I had to fix my BK2000 yesterday, funny enough - top flipper was sticking. I haven’t played it for 2 years probably. The test game (ball 1) went for 15 minutes of trap - up top - trap - up top - trap - up top - at which stage I turned it off and called it fixed.

Awesome looking game though. And awesome sounds. Shame there isn’t more dimension to the gameplay.

rd

#248 7 months ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Yep, I had all 30 SYS11s for a number of years.
    Until a few months ago … I sold off a dozen or so pins and there were a few SYS11s in the cull. Might be a few more at some stage.
    As I said to my buddy, “nobody cares - what are they going to put on my headstone, here lies Dave, he had all the System 11 games. WOW!”
    Hahaha
    I don’t think anyone outside of my close friends has even noticed they are gone.
    My only regret is I didn’t sell them 18 mths ago in “peak pinball”. I would have got a few more bucks!
    rd

Owning them all is something rare. What other members have owned all of the system 11s?

So your input on games I think is important.

#249 7 months ago
    Quoted from sullivcd40:

If you focus a bunch on practicing the bottom pf more, you start using the u turn and drops more. So there’s more going on than just the top.

That’s why I love it. It’s like two pins in one. Upper and lower. But practice the lower part more and you’ll use it more. More points !

#250 7 months ago

Taxi, Whirlwind, Pinbot in that order.

If you think otherwise you’re wrong.

There are 328 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.