5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by merccat
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Guy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

I’m putting 5 pins and 5 subs on one outlet. Curious of a good and safe surge protector people use?

I use .... nothing

Pinball machines are commercial devices and have internal surge suppression in the form of MOVs (Metal Oxide Varistor) https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/resistor/varistor.html

A MOV is typically connected between power and ground, when the voltage input to an MOV is reached, the MOV becomes a dead short and will blow the internal fuse and possibly trip the circuit breaker as well removing all power from the protected device. Most home surge suppressors are nothing more than an outlet strip with a MOV and circuit breaker.

Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Well, I’m willing to spend whatever it takes to protect my pins the best.

If money is really no object and you are looking for the best possible protection available then what you want is a double conversion UPS (aka an online UPS); this is the type of power protection used at hospitals and computer data centers. With this type system, Power from the electric company/generator never actually touches the load. All power is converted to DC through rectifiers, then inverted back into AC (no longer phased matched) to power critical devices. This type system will also have a DC battery bank to provide stable power to the load during periods of low input power. With this type of system, power to the load should never fluctuate more than 0.1 VAC no matter what your input power is doing. For your configuration, you will likely want to purchase a system with at least a 4kVA power rating to power your load and allow a little room to add more devices.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Guy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-surge-protector-for-10-outlets?tu=Pin_Guy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.