6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Caucasian2Step
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

My game room is on the third floor, and I am looking for a very good hand truck to transport games up and down several flights of stairs.

I know that there are specialized battery-op stair climbers available for thousands, but I want to find the best solution for under $300.

Any suggestions?

#2 6 years ago

Pinsider Astropin bought one for slightly more than 300 that is supposed to be great on stairs.... I'd check with him..,

#3 6 years ago

I've used the following with heavy furniture and these straps were great. The person on the other end was my sister who is not big and strong, and she was very impressed how it made carrying the item easy.

You are able to free your hands for balance and/or guidance on hand rails, and they reduced fatigue while carrying. The weight was balanced and was felt more from the hips, not the shoulders. These straps are padded at the shoulders, but have a belt strap around the waist, where two buckles connect to two straps on each side of your waist that support the heavy object. There is a pad on the center of the back which adds comfort. The two straps provide balance to the object.

I have never used them on pinball machines, but they should work as an alternative for difficult stairs.

http://www.gripsystem.com/video.htm

I have seen other cheaper ones (shoulder dolly), and have read complaints that the force is all on your shoulders, which can make it more difficult to stand or walk. And they also have only one strap which would make balancing tougher. Cheaper ones have no padding, and no waist strap, causing more force and tugging at your shoulders, which would cause more fatigue. These below are cheaper, and inferior.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Moving-Supplies/Moving-Straps-Mover-Bands/Shoulder-Dolly-Moving-Strap-Blowout-Price-on-Moving-Straps?utm_source=amazon&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SHOULDERDOLLY

I spent the extra on the grip system at top, and was impressed. I would like to try them with pins on stairs, but haven't had the need.

#4 6 years ago

Get an appliance dolly or something that has a set of stair climbing rollers. Don't bother with the cheaper handcarts that don't - it won't pay off.

Try to get one in aluminum instead of steel. I have one in steel and its heavy. But it does help.

Escaleras cost 2x-3x what a pinball does. That said, they are fantastic. I bought a pin from someone who had one, and it was an absolute breeze to get the game out of his basement and around corners.

If you have large landings between floors, I would carry the game with the legs on up and down the stairs with a friend, if possible. I've found that to be not too bad. Especially if the head comes off.

Or hire somebody. I bet if you looked around you could hire people to move a pin into or out of your apartment for $50.

The best thing to do is to go to the gym and get buff.

#5 6 years ago

Get an appliance dolly or something that has a set of stair climbing rollers. Don't bother with the cheaper handcarts that don't - it won't pay off.
    +1 Aluminum w rails or rollers!

#6 6 years ago

Get a regular hand truck and a real big girlfriend on the bottom and tell her to push.
    problem solved

#8 6 years ago

Magliner hand cart: Standard frame, standard loop handle, 18" magnesium nose, 8" hard rubber wheels, stair climber glides. $193.32 plus shipping.

Super light, maneuverable and strong. Best cart you'll ever buy.

http://www.magliner.com/product/hand-trucks/design-your-own

#9 6 years ago

I've got the 2 wheel version of what Freezie uses (like this: http://m.globalindustrial.ca/m/p/material-handling/hand-trucks-dollies/hand-trucks-appliance-stair-climbing/steel-appliance-hand-truck-800-lb-capacity-8-mold-on-rubber-wheels-1)

The refrigerator strap is worth every penny. I know some people who have also gotten a dolly and attached (with knots sometimes) webbing to get a similar effect from their dolly. All you have to do is accidentally dump a game once to find out why you need one.

Best of luck to you and your lower back.

KMR

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from jpolfer:

Escaleras cost 2x-3x what a pinball does.

You should check around. You would be surprised what one could get a brand new one for. I was quoted what I thought was a very resonable price from Larry Kitchen. My game room is on the second floor and I will have a Escalera in the not so distant future. This will allow me to buy, sell, and trade out games with ease!

Just a quick tip if your are moving a pin with a regular appliance dolly I highly recommend removing the head. Just take some masking tape and a sharpie to label all the connectors. I moved my Guns N Roses up a set of stairs over the weekend and that helped a ton!!

#11 6 years ago

i bought an appliance dolly hand truck from harbor frieght for $90 brand new has two thick nylon straps and belt rollers makes the up and down easy. quick tip shrink wrap first as the plastic adds protection from bumps and bruses LOL!

#12 6 years ago

Found my dolly at a garage sale for $10.- That's less than a flipper coil. Possibly my best pinball related purchase ever!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    PinballSTAR Amusements
    $ 22.50
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Mod Co.
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 19.00
    Boards
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 100.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Pin Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    € 9.10
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 55.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside