Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 150 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trekkie1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Someone PM'd me about this, and I have people on ignore and can't see the whole conversation. I just want to say that getting hit with the Use Tax has nothing to do with the distributor. Trent was completely unaware about it. The CA Use Tax Board apparently gets copies of shipping receipts and randomly picks ones to go after. I was contacted when I had 2 Metallicas delivered to my house (one for a friend so we could save on shipping)...they saw that I got a 500 lb delivery from Stern Pinball in Chicago, and said I had to pay tax on it. I actually had to pry that info out of them - they said it's my responsibility to keep track of my purchases and pay tax on them. Clearly they don't want to keep tabs on everything you buy - but since it's the first time this happened, I had no idea what they were talking about or how much they wanted. So - she begrudgingly read the shipping invoice to me, and I knew it was for the 2 Metallicas.
    They contacted me again for another game...again, wanted me to tell them what I owed them...and I'm like "C'mon, help me help you...tell me what I owe you and I'll pay"...again, begrudgingly, she told me (I think it was Iron Man this time).
    I asked her "what if I buy a use game from a friend out of state". She said I'd have to pay tax on that...I'm like "but there's no invoice, it's between friends...that's like saying I have to pay tax on things I buy on a garage sale", which of course got the standard reply "It's up to you to keep track of your purchases and pay tax on them".
    Bleh.

I can only speak for NJ, but by law I need to keep track of all out of state purchases and even in-state purchases that fail to charge me sales tax, and pay a use tax. When it comes to vehicles purchased out of state, we pay the sales tax when we register the vehicle. People always fudge the purchase price on the title paperwork.

For my business, any equipment I purchase out of state, I always pay the use tax on it. It is way too easy to get caught on a sales tax audit (which my state does a lot) on a business level.

#56 7 years ago

I forgot to mention, Delaware is the place to be...no sales tax. One of my good friends lives in PA, 1 mile from Delaware. He does all of his shopping there to avoid sales tax. Technically, when he brings those goods home, he is suppose to pay the use tax. The chances of him getting caught are between 0% and 0%.

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Anyway, this "Use Tax Problem" is specific to California.

It's specific to most states, if not all who collect sales tax.

#97 7 years ago

Game Exchange is my go to place. JJ has been nothing but top notch.

#111 7 years ago

When would distributors be allowed to lower the price on WWE?

#115 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

$1,995 and a free bowl of soup?

I'll pass on the soup.

#126 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

The LE's are no longer Restricted.
    JJ

When the time comes for that, I will be contacting you. Running out of room. KISS LE is going to a friend's house this weekend to make room for Ghostbusters LE.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trekkie1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-stern-distributor?tu=trekkie1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.