Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 150 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Texas has a similar law.
    http://www.cpa.state.tx.us/taxinfo/sales/faq_use.html.
    1. What "purchases" are subject to use tax?
    ...You used property purchased from an out-of-state retailer. In general, if you purchase a taxable item from an out-of-state retailer without paying Texas tax and use the property in Texas the purchase is subject to use tax and must be reported.

Seems like CA Pinsiders are the ones who've been contacted to pay up....has this happened anywhere else?

#102 7 years ago
    Quoted from gatordad:

Why would I buy from someone 3 states over when I can buy from a guy in the same state or the next one over at the same cost?

Buying local is a good thing. But I agree, they should've left the old rules in place.

#103 7 years ago

There's a guy named Choggard. I'll see if I can get you his info.

#104 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

Melissa at cointaker, she is awesome to talk to and deal with. One of the nicest persons in pinball that I can think of.

I agree with this 100%... Cointaker all the way...super friendly and reliable

#105 7 years ago

So, is the Stern minimum sales price (plus no bonus items or return customer discount) just on new game releases or would it apply to older titles that are still being made like Metallica? Thanks.

#106 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

So, is the Stern minimum sales price (plus no bonus items or return customer discount) just on new game releases or would it apply to older titles that are still being made like Metallica? Thanks.

All games currently in production is what I've heard

#107 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

All games currently in production is what I've heard

That's what I've heard too

#108 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:So, is the Stern minimum sales price (plus no bonus items or return customer discount) just on new game releases or would it apply to older titles that are still being made like Metallica? Thanks.

Yeah, it applies for all games in production. I ordered Met in Feb, and my buddy called around for one and everyone quoted the same price in April. It would have cost me $400 more if I waited a couple more weeks.

#109 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Yeah, it applies for all games in production. I ordered Met in Feb, and my buddy called around for one and everyone quoted the same price in April. It would have cost me $400 more if I waited a couple more weeks.

I can affirm this. I had a similar experience.

#110 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

It would have cost me $400 more if I waited a couple more weeks.

This bums me out pretty bad. I'm in the market for one now but don't feel like taking the extra hit. Is what it is I suppose, either I want one or I don't.

This move seems to help the small volume distributors the most, but all distros should come out pretty good from this. They don't have to have a race to the bottom on price squeezing their margins down.

#111 7 years ago

When would distributors be allowed to lower the price on WWE?

#112 7 years ago

Sounds like the price of a newish HUO stern just went up...

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

$1,995 and a free bowl of soup?

#114 7 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

You can still get them at old pricing or better these are all WWEs that have been just sitting at a warehouse lol

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#115 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

$1,995 and a free bowl of soup?

I'll pass on the soup.

#116 7 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

The LE's are no longer Restricted.

JJ

#117 7 years ago

I'm not sure if this is a industry wide standard but Starburst in Toronto charges for labor when doing warranty work. A friend of mine just got a Met premium and after a week, one of the coils went. They will pay for the coil part but my friend has to pay for the install which is $250. He only put 30 plays on his NIB purchase.

#118 7 years ago

Seems to me like most of this is based on pricing. But WHAT makes a distributor the best? Is it the service before and after the sale or is it pretty much the all mighty all bottom dollar? Personally I'd pay more for a game if the distributor would push Stern to get my game made six months sooner rather then later. Distributers that sit back after the deal has been made and don't get there games shipped to them are not worth doing business with if you ask me. If I was a Distributor I'd be on the phone with Stern everyday pushing them to get my customers there paid for games. Months and months of waiting and nothing to show for it is ridiculous, and in the meantime Stern is off making the next newest title before they can fulfill there prior commitments. Distributors that go the distance for there loyal customers are what I'd be shopping for regardless of the pricing.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#119 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Just to discuss this briefly, as it came up yesterday in a F/S thread that closed shortly after the statement was made so we could not address it:
    Pinside has no policy on posting prices here. It is entirely a matter between Stern and their distributors about prices being posted. While we reserve the right to edit out a price from a post we certainly do not have a rule in place that mandates we do so.

Whoops, that was me. I thought I'd seen mods step in before to keep people from stating distributor + price in the same post, but thanks for the clarification!

#120 7 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

I'm not sure if this is a industry wide standard but Starburst in Toronto charges for labor when doing warranty work. A friend of mine just got a Met premium and after a week, one of the coils went. They will pay for the coil part but my friend has to pay for the install which is $250. He only put 30 plays on his NIB purchase.

Those are some high labor costs, I'm glad I know how to install my own coils.

#121 7 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

A related question: when someone buys a pin NIB and then sells it, does the Distributor continue to support the sale? I'm wondering what others have experienced. In the past I've worked directly with Stern on any problems, but it seems that they want you to work through the Distributor now. I don't blame them, it's not scalable to provide direct support.

Answering my own question. In my case, the distributor ignored my phone call and PM. I've sorted my problem out myself, at my expense. The silver lining is that I saved enough money (vs. buying NIB) to buy more node boards down the road, if necessary.

#122 7 years ago

That's insane unless they're doing a house call. Is he allowed to install it himself, or will that void the warrenty?

#123 7 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Answering my own question. In my case, the distributor ignored my phone call and PM. I've sorted my problem out myself, at my expense. The silver lining is that I saved enough money (vs. buying NIB) to buy more node boards down the road, if necessary.

yup they need to go to his house but he lives 15 mins from them anyway. Not sure he knows how to do the coils himself but he is just too pissed to even think about it.

#124 7 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

That's insane unless they're doing a house call. Is he allowed to install it himself, or will that void the warrenty?

Installing these things never voids the warranty. These are not TV sets. They're intended to be owner replaceable.

#125 7 years ago

yup they need to go to his house but he lives 15 mins from them anyway. Not sure he knows how to do the coils himself but he is just too pissed to even think about it.

He really should talk to Stern about that... Sounds like Starburst knows they got the market locked down so they don't include any labor warranty.

JJ

#126 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

The LE's are no longer Restricted.
    JJ

When the time comes for that, I will be contacting you. Running out of room. KISS LE is going to a friend's house this weekend to make room for Ghostbusters LE.

#127 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Seems to me like most of this is based on pricing. But WHAT makes a distributor the best? Is it the service before and after the sale or is it pretty much the all mighty all bottom dollar? Personally I'd pay more for a game if the distributor would push Stern to get my game made six months sooner rather then later. Distributers that sit back after the deal has been made and don't get there games shipped to them are not worth doing business with if you ask me. If I was a Distributor I'd be on the phone with Stern everyday pushing them to get my customers there paid for games. Months and months of waiting and nothing to show for it is ridiculous, and in the meantime Stern is off making the next newest title before they can fulfill there prior commitments. Distributors that go the distance for there loyal customers are what I'd be shopping for regardless of the pricing.
    John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

I agree John
    Customer service should be an expectation from everyone.
    If some distributor is a slacker they would eventually loose repeat business regardless of price.
    Now that this fixed price system is in place, that might be accelerated somewhat.

What I don't know is, did Stern raise prices to distributors?
    Or is this just a fixed distributor pricing system?

#128 7 years ago

Waltons games in Cincinnati of course. Just kidding. Don't call them. EVER.

#129 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Also want to say if you have a local dealer that takes care of his customers and give you good pricing

Haven't been in Chicago lately have you? Unfortunately, always have to buy out of state NIB. I'd insert "sarcasm" emoji but sadly, true statement.

#130 7 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Haven't been in Chicago lately have you? Unfortunately, always have to buy out of state NIB. I'd insert "sarcasm" emoji but sadly, true statement.

I guess in this case let your dollars speak for them selves? Sad to see poor representation in Sterns own back yard.

JJ

1 week later
    #131 7 years ago

I did a little checking and decided to go with game exchange for my next couple purchases,They seem on the ball,Answered all my questions,Ready to get things going.Appreciate all the discussion!

#132 7 years ago
    Quoted from Brian541:

I did a little checking and decided to go with game exchange for my next couple purchases,They seem on the ball,Answered all my questions,Ready to get things going.Appreciate all the discussion!

You made a great choice

#133 7 years ago

I've bought my games from Curly at Little Shop of Games. Great guy!

#134 7 years ago

Seems there are many great distros perhaps we need to weed that bad ones out....

#135 7 years ago

Well all in all most dealers are on an equal playing field with Sterns regulation of prices. You can't offer free shipping or a free shaker motor. A large group of people will still choose out of state dealers to save on tax. But have to pay shipping. So there is a little bit of savings. They lose out on set-up, we have had to fix quite a few machines out of the box. Frankly if your happy with a dealer you'll stick with them. There are a lot of good dealers out there.

3 months later
    #136 7 years ago

anyone have the website for game exchange?

#137 7 years ago
    Quoted from ibjames:

anyone have the website for game exchange?

gameexchange.biz

#138 7 years ago

Little Shop of Games is the best IMO.

#139 7 years ago

Cointaker miss is the best at customer service

#142 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

gameexchange.biz

THANKS!

#143 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Just curious... What is sterns new minimum price point?

Is that "price fixing"?

#144 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Is that "price fixing"?

Literally yes, they're "fixing the price" their distributors can sell at > $X. But it's not illegal to do that under current US antitrust law.

#145 7 years ago

Stern distributors aside, where do we stand on JJP and DP pricing. I know JJP has a limited (compared to Stern) network and DP looks like it's Cointaker (take it or leave it). Any wiggle room off MSRP if you're buying something other than Stern?

#147 7 years ago

Melissa at Cointaker
    Chris at Cointaker
    Cointaker

All three are very good

#148 7 years ago

Hopefully they won't rely solely on Stern products, or they will be out of business fast. I'm not necessarily referring to quality, but more the markup they would have to charge to keep the retail space. Most folks are used to purchasing their pins somewhere under MSRP, and parts at decent pricing and neither with sales tax if they play their cards right. Retail space in this industry is hard to support. You pretty much are forced to support multiple lines.

#149 7 years ago

Give us a shout next time you are looking for NIB Stern Pinball Machine.
    I'll be happy to quote and hopefully we'll be competitive in the market.

Craig Hassell
    FUN!
    972-686-7808

There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-stern-distributor/page/3?hl=ibjames and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.