Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9226 (resized).PNG
    57ced8b263393bfcc559fc398afcf4a7 (resized).jpg
    1499553029077-1968582450 (resized).jpg
    braid (resized).jpg
    61b7_swingline_stapler (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I'm in the middle of a restoration and at a point where I need to purchase a stapler for the ground braid, glass channel, pop bumper lamp socket leads, ect.

I would like to purchase one that doesn't require an air compressor if possible. Not sure if there's an "universal" one for the jobs described above? Do I use the same-sized staples? Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

Is it that you don't have a compressor or that you don't want to spend $70 on an air stapler?

Either way I have not yet heard of what you're asking. I have a long nose air powered one and could not be happier.

#3 6 years ago

61b7_swingline_stapler (resized).jpg61b7_swingline_stapler (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

This is the one I use and it works great!
    https://www.amazon.com/Unicatch-USC-71-16-US2238A/dp/B00ACC7BYY

braid (resized).jpgbraid (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

I should buy that one too ...

#7 6 years ago

Which staples for that bad boy?

#8 6 years ago

I like this one.

1499553029077-1968582450 (resized).jpg1499553029077-1968582450 (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

57ced8b263393bfcc559fc398afcf4a7 (resized).jpg57ced8b263393bfcc559fc398afcf4a7 (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago

Classic. Well played lol

#11 6 years ago

Meant to quote vid's as well. i think i might throw that on tonight. Still laughing

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

I'm in the middle of a restoration and at a point where I need to purchase a stapler for the ground braid, glass channel, pop bumper lamp socket leads, ect.
    I would like to purchase one that doesn't require an air compressor if possible. Not sure if there's an "universal" one for the jobs described above? Do I use the same-sized staples? Thanks!

You need to use a air stapler if you are going to work on pins. Especially for pf swaps. The ones posted in this thread will do, minus the Swingline lol. They are typically used for upholstery but work great for pins. You need a 22 gauge. Many lengths are available for these. You can a cheap ass pancake compressor from Harbor Freight if you're on a budget.

#13 6 years ago

Walked myself into that one didn't I

#14 6 years ago

Seen some at the hardware store but wasn't sure if they would work for pinball jobs

#15 6 years ago

Saw a video of a guy doing a MB restoration...he used this

IMG_9226 (resized).PNGIMG_9226 (resized).PNG

#16 6 years ago

If you are swapping a CPR pf, the wood they use is harder than original. Probably a hard a maple. With a manual stapler, you might end up with staples not fully seating. I tried using a manual when I first got into pinball. I was swapping a CPR Xenon and it was a disaster with the manual stapler.

#17 6 years ago

Ahhhh....Milton lives on in our hearts and minds

#18 6 years ago

You could probably use one of the nice cordless electric ones too, like a milwaukee or something

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

If you are swapping a CPR pf, the wood they use is harder than original. Probably a hard a maple. With a manual stapler, you might end up with staples not fully seating. I tried using a manual when I first got into pinball. I was swapping a CPR Xenon and it was a disaster with the manual stapler.

Quoted from Haymaker:

You could probably use one of the nice cordless electric ones too, like a milwaukee or something

Thanks guys, good info!

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

ebay.com link » Unicatch 22 Gauge 3 8 Crown Long Nose Upholstery Stapler

Yes, this one works great - I also picked up a "pancake" air compressor to use with it. I already had a 30-gallon compressor, but it's faster to have the little compressor for quick jobs
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-6-Gal-150-PSI-Portable-Air-Compressor-C2002/203162815

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Yes, this one works great - I also picked up a "pancake" air compressor to use with it. I already had a 30-gallon compressor, but it's faster to have the little compressor for quick jobs
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-6-Gal-150-PSI-Portable-Air-Compressor-C2002/203162815

I'll get the pankcake compressor if needed. This is my first restoration...so I'm pretty much learning as I go

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

I'll get the pankcake compressor if needed. This is my first restoration...so I'm pretty much learning as I go

Hi George,

I have the small pancake air compressor listed in the previous link (Home Depot) and it works great and is priced right. It really makes stapling a breeze so to speak.

Gord

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi George,
    I have the small pancake air compressor listed in the previous link (Home Depot) and it works great and is priced right. It really makes stapling a breeze so to speak.
    Gord

Hi Gord!

I shall purchase one today (or tomorrow). I honestly thought a manual stapler would do the job, but I will follow the advice provided and just buy a compressor and do the job the right way. Thanks Gord!

#24 6 years ago

The air compressor will also come in quite handy for blowing the water out of the connectors, light sockets, and circuit boards after you wash them.

#25 6 years ago

When they moved me to the basement at work - I adopted that photo as my avatar. Co-worker even gave me one of the red swingline staplers and a bunch of TPS cover sheets for my 30th aniv.

I must have been successful at taking care of the cockroach problem as they since moved me upstairs to a corner office. At least they didn't "fix the glitch".

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

The air compressor will also come in quite handy for blowing the water out of the connectors, light sockets, and circuit boards after you wash them.

Very true! Already ordered the stapler you suggested! Thanks!

3 years later
    #27 3 years ago

So I am needing to redo light sockets on a game and I assume I'll use it for ground braid, sockets or pops on future games... I was leaning to this

unicatch us2238al - 22 gauge w/ C staples 3/8" by 1/4" long
    https://tts-products.com/unicatch-us2238al-long-nose-22-gauge-upholstery-stapler-on-sale.html

Then I stumbled upon a amazon special
    3plus w/ staples of 3 sizes for $50
    https://www.amazon.com/3PLUS-H7116LSP-KT-Pneumatic-Upholstery-Stapler/dp/B07YDD94RL/ref=sr_1_9

I don't think I'll use this much...but if the 3plus nose is ~2" long....is it worth the $30 to get the better brand if the gun is used once a year?

#28 3 years ago

I bought the first one a while ago and did not use it that much. I'd go with the cheaper one if I had to do it again, particularly if it has the 5* rating.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from lb1:

I bought the first one a while ago and did not use it that much. I'd go with the cheaper one if I had to do it again, particularly if it has the 5* rating.

That was what my thought was...I love quality tools but if I rarely use it, is there a point?
    I bought the amazon one. I'll test it putting my light sockets on my Skill Roll and then I may have to do some work on the stern Galaxy. I'll post my thoughts. Thanks for the input!

3 weeks later
    #30 3 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

That was what my thought was...I love quality tools but if I rarely use it, is there a point?
    I bought the amazon one. I'll test it putting my light sockets on my Skill Roll and then I may have to do some work on the stern Galaxy. I'll post my thoughts. Thanks for the input!

Curious what you thought of that stapler. I'm looking for one as well and thinking of picking it up. I need one to replace 4 staples so hard to even justify $50 for the tool but must do it.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

Curious what you thought of that stapler. I'm looking for one as well and thinking of picking it up. I need one to replace 4 staples so hard to even justify $50 for the tool but must do it.

I bought the Amazon kit and it was fine for what it costs, I didn't have many to drive either so I didn't spend too much time troubleshooting it but mine failed to feed several times.

#32 3 years ago

I did 20 something light sockets on my skill roll and the gun was just fine if not great. For the cost idk how you beat a gun plus staples that will last most low to average users the whole life. :shurg: I'd buy it again.

#33 3 years ago

awesome, thanks for the update. Mine should be here tomorrow love amazon. I'm just replacing a few light sockets with it so a few jams I can live with.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

awesome, thanks for the update. Mine should be here tomorrow love amazon. I'm just replacing a few light sockets with it so a few jams I can live with.

No prob. Yeah, if I did HEP restores, or lots of stapling, then yes I would buy a high quality tool. However I will probably use this gun 20 times aka 20 staples a year....no need to blow twice the price.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-stapler?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.