Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by JCNP
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Looking at new games. I understand that with Le games the more bells and whistles can impact the game. The question is this. Where is The sweet spot for getting a Pro or Standard game that gives you enough game and then creates a great value over the Le version? Example might be a Shaker motor which might be fun but really does not add that much to the game for a lot of people. Don't get me wrong. Toppers, artwork, sound upgrade and trim colors of which I would love to have it all but at what expense. So here I am, which current game plays as good or almost as good as its Le upgrade? There must be a difference between manufacturers and games that this would apply differently.

#2 5 years ago

Metallica is my vote. I prefer it.

Some prefer GB as well in pro version.

#3 5 years ago

My vote is for Iron Maiden.

#4 5 years ago

I like Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy.

#5 5 years ago

If you have to roll new, Met pro or ACDC pro vault while they last.
    The pricing on AFMr/MBr classic versions without bling are attractive as well.

#6 5 years ago

IMDN

#7 5 years ago

Does a shaker add much to deadpool? Wondering if I'd be ok skipping, or if I'd want to have it

#8 5 years ago

I prefer Maiden, Star Wars, and GotG pro to their premiums

#9 5 years ago

Or just buy a Stern from before they started the whole Pro/Prem/LE thing. Pirates, Ripleys, LOTR, Simpsons, Spider Man, Iron Man - all excellent pins with nothing missing.

#10 5 years ago

It's hard to say mbr at 6k isn't the best value in 0inball right now.

#11 5 years ago

Standard, pro, premium, Pro plus, limited edition, collectors edition... SMH...

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Or just buy a Stern from before they started the whole Pro/Prem/LE thing. Pirates, Ripleys, LOTR, Simpsons, Spider Man, Iron Man - all excellent pins with nothing missing.

I think I'm pretty set on new in box. Also like the upgradeable software to improve the game.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Outlanes:

It's hard to say mbr at 6k isn't the best value in 0inball right now.

Agreed! Best NIB value. $6k-ish for barely played Houdini also an excellent value

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Agreed! Best NIB value. $6k-ish for barely played Houdini also an excellent value

Looks like whether it's Chicago Gaming or Stern the difference between the Pro or Premium for Stern or Classic and Speciale for Chicago Gaming the difference is roughly 1500 bucks. That difference seems to be quite an upgrade with lighting, sound and board attractions. When you get into the Le version that's more with painting, signatures, limited-production, medallions and toppers. Things like that for the most part. For me unfortunately it looks like I might have to be in the Special or Premium grade with looking what you get with the upgrade.

#15 5 years ago

These games are AS good AS their LE versions and they only need a shaker to bring in more fun.

Dialed In standard = same gameplay
    IMDN pro = same gameplay
    MET pro = same gameplay
    GOTG pro = same gameplay
    DP pro = same gameplay
    TWD Pro = different gameplay due to walkerbombs

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from MightyGrave:

These games are AS good AS their LE versions and they only need a shaker to bring in more fun.
    IMDN pro = same gameplay
    MET pro = same gameplay
    GOTG pro = same gameplay
    DP pro = same gameplay
    TWD Pro = different gameplay due walkerbombs

#17 5 years ago

MET pro would get my vote here

#18 5 years ago

Not sure if it's still in production, but many players prefer the Pro model of GoT. The upper playfield doesn't add much complexity to an already complex game, and blocks your visibility on the left loop. I also prefer GB Pro model, as the right ramp is easier to hit. I'd still pick other Pro games currently in production over these two, but I feel like these actually play better in their stripped down form.

#19 5 years ago

I prefer Aerosmith pro to the premium version. To me it plays faster.

If I was looking to buy now, on a lower budget I would go with Met pro. On a higher budget I’d go with MBr standard.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from MightyGrave:

IMDN pro = same gameplay
    MET pro = same gameplay
    GOTG pro = same gameplay
    DP pro = same gameplay

Thanks, that's helpful. Game play is important in the equation. That's something I couldn't research easily.

#21 5 years ago

Aerosmith, Met, SW are winners for sure

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from JCNP:

Thanks, that's helpful. Game play is important in the equation. That's something I couldn't research easily.

I thought gameplay was what you were after based on your original question.

Stern pros listed are good and the base remakes will have same complete gameplay features as their original.

Use pin map to find a place to play the different models to determine what you value/cost.

Quoted from MightyGrave:

DP pro = same gameplay

DP premium and LE play slightly different based on a diverter that completes left orbit.
    It may or may not matter to some.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

I thought gameplay was what you were after based on your original question.

DP premium and LE play slightly different based on a diverter that completes left orbit.
    May or may not matter to some.

Well I guess everything physically about the game affects gameplay whether it's visual or physical. I wasn't even thinking whether the actually game would play differently with different versions. Just trying to analyze the upgrades in different versions how much effect it has on the enjoyment of playing the game and also versus cost. How big of a deal do we think the lighting upgrades are on the field?

#24 5 years ago

I’d have to go with Iron Maiden or Stern Star Trek. Both are base models with game play and features that are virtually identical to their upgrades.

#25 5 years ago

Iron Maiden all the way

#26 5 years ago

It sounds like he's asking what games have the same toys as a pro or upgraded version. I could be wrong? Like Metallica is missing the hammer or aerosmith is missing the mini playfield. He wants to know what games offer all the features minus the bling and price tag.?

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from MightyGrave:

IMDN pro = same gameplay
    MET pro = same gameplay
    GOTG pro = same gameplay
    DP pro = same gameplay

This is what I think the OP is looking for. The LE versions of all these games are great, and the upgrades can be justified. But the pro versions are not lacking. If you get any of these you’ll be happy and never know you’re missing anything.

ST pro is in that boat too. I believe it’s still being produced

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

It sounds like he's asking what games have the same toys as a pro or upgraded version. I could be wrong? Like Metallica is missing the hammer or aerosmith is missing the mini playfield. He wants to know what games offer all the features minus the bling and price tag.?

No I think everybody's looking at my question a little bit differently. Which is giving me ideas that I wasn't necessarily thinking. It's opening up many things for me to consider. Which is exactly what I was looking for. As I was looking at the upgrade models it seems like a major thing is the lighting with RGB and things like that. When you look at a machine the lighting is really one of the things that adds excitement. Was just thinking that might be a important factor. As far as the toys go I guess I don't see that as important but like I say every game is different at the different levels for each manufacturer. I'm sure I made everything more confusing now. Really appreciate everybody's input.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

This is what I think the OP is looking for. The LE versions of all these games are great, and the upgrades can be justified. But the pro versions are not lacking. If you get any of these you’ll be happy and never know you’re missing anything.
    ST pro is in that boat too. I believe it’s still being produced

Yes I believe you are correct. Also it seems like that pricing is coming down on some units.

#30 5 years ago

FOR EARNINGS on location or for your house? big difference.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

Good point, home use.

#32 5 years ago

When I first started out, I thought that RGB lighting effects were really cool. But after a while, I realized that what I really wanted was a well lit game with high visibility.

Turning the GI to red, for example, is a turn off for me.

RGB inserts are amazing, GI no bueno.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from MightyGrave:

IMDN pro = same gameplay
    MET pro = same gameplay
    GOTG pro = same gameplay
    DP pro = same gameplay

IMDN Prem does have an additional mode, and the mummy lock undoubtedly changes the gameplay (the lifting ramp also changes the playfield at times), but I agree the Pro is the better value (though a used Premium may be the best [have seen some prices close to a shipped pro]). I pretty much agree with the others, but TWD Premium is significantly different. Walker Bombs, crossbow, extra drop target, spinners, bicycle girl, and the walker magnet all make notable differences in how the game plays and feels (RGB lighting [slight gameplay enhancement rather than a real difference] is a nice bonus).

Otherwise, guests love Ghosbusters Pro the most here, and I still enjoy it after all this time as well.

MET also got tons of love and is one of the better games for multiplayer IMO (fast, fun game with good music [particularly with pinbrowser ]).

#34 5 years ago

Star Trek Pro. I had a Premium. I liked my Premium. But end of day the Pro didn't give much up, and in a weird way actually felt kinda smoother.

#35 5 years ago

Most of the LEs have high-definition anti-reflection glass. Has anybody seen a big difference with this?

#36 5 years ago

It is nice clear glass.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from JCNP:

Most of the LEs have high-definition anti-reflection glass. Has anybody seen a big difference with this?

It certain(t)ly makes a diff'rence, your setup will determine how much. Some people say it s massive diff'rence, for me it doesn't make enough to be worth the cost.

#38 5 years ago

It's funny when I was buying my first plasma TV. A 50 inch Panasonic for over $3,000 back at the start of HDTV. On the AVS Forum as conversations went on I came to the conclusion "The more I know the less I know". Looking at the Matrix for Iron Maiden games seems like a good value Pro versus Premium leaning towards Pro. I really wasn't an Iron Maiden music fan, should I be worried.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from JCNP:

I really wasn't an Iron Maiden music fan, should I be worried.

The call outs are good, and you can raise them up and lower the music.
    The music is really pretty shitty, but it isn;t a deal breaker
    SW is awesome, but some people need more "stuff" on a PF to have fun.

#40 5 years ago

I have not played the Iron Maiden le but didn’t look like it added much. And the pro rocks.
    As far as sw pro. Aaa noooo! The hyper loop is a big difference. Even when you just look at the game. It looks so much less sparse. It also is a much tighter shot on the le. It’s a satisfying bitch haha. Plus the use of it is cool. And it is used often. Even the feel of the balls cruising the loop is sweet. Good luck

#41 5 years ago

I can't get into SW as much as I try. There just seems to be so much arbitrary scoring, where sometimes you just seem to "get" 200M points out of nowhere. For me, IM is just a much superior game in terms of rules and flow (hitting the ramps or the loops is so satisfying). The IM sounds (music aside) are so crisp and well tuned it makes the whole game feel like one of the most complete games out right now.

#42 5 years ago

if shot=made
    then score=score+arbitrary scoring number
    end if

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from tbaum:

I can't get into SW as much as I try. There just seems to be so much arbitrary scoring, where sometimes you just seem to "get" 200M points out of nowhere. For me, IM is just a much superior game in terms of rules and flow (hitting the ramps or the loops is so satisfying). The IM sounds (music aside) are so crisp and well tuned it makes the whole game feel like one of the most complete games out right now.

Yeah at this point I'm kind of leaning towards IM. Seems like a lot of people happy with it more so then Metallica at a couple hundred dollars cheaper. A while back I was really interested in MBR but it's 500 bucks more so I don't think so. If it was a much better game I could justify but I don't think that's the case.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

For earnings is it a 50/50 split or 60-40 in favor of operator?

#45 5 years ago

Met Pro and Iron Maiden Pro are fine choices, but I would find a perfect IronMan and not look back.

I like it so much, I bought two (original and Vault).

#46 5 years ago

For current games in the under $6k category, my top choices are
    MBR Classic - original classic game
    Iron Maiden - game play is amazing personally don’t know the music but it’s fine music.
    Deadpool - love this game, fun, artwork really good.

All similarly priced and available.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

For current games in the under $6k category, my top choices are
    MBR Classic - original classic game
    Iron Maiden - game play is amazing personally don’t know the music but it’s fine music.
    Deadpool - love this game, fun, artwork really good.
    All similarly priced and available.

They say the call-outs and clarity of them are very good in Iron Maiden

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mizzou0103:

I’d have to go with Iron Maiden or Stern Star Trek. Both are base models with game play and features that are virtually identical to their upgrades.

Surprised it took 24 posts for someone to mention ST Pro. 3 flippers, 3 ramps, decent toy w/ magnet, spinner, LED's, and great flow. One of the best Pro's, IMO, if not the best.

#49 5 years ago

Was playing Iron Maiden a little bit ago. Didn't play it enough to really know anything but it looks like it could be challenging in the long run which is good. I do like the TV screen over the dot matrix. Metallica was next to it looks good did not play it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-standard-or-pro-game-of-current-production?hl=outlanes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.