(Topic ID: 288213)

Best Stair Climbing Dolly/Cart?

By smileymatthew

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_forum_7647021_1 (resized).png
    49398F8F-A218-4987-BA1B-C5D35A90EA5F (resized).png
    D30BDF62-E869-4607-98BA-869B339090A0 (resized).jpeg
    25771BAB-9B4C-4F25-B65B-678A22C51AFB (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

Just curious if anyone has any good suggestions for a stair climbing dolly/cart? The Motorized ones are crazy expensive, but wow.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Seems to be a lot of opinions and suggestions out there!

- Matt

#2 3 years ago

You'll find a lot of Escalara fans here on Pinside.

There are other makes and models. Some get real pricey.

Think about things you want. Big wheel attachment ? Forklift attachment ? Just up and down stairs ? Not ever one can have attachments added after the fact.

If you find a used one on Craigslist, look up the make and model on youtube for demonstrations. Be careful of blown out ones and dead batteries.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

I really like my escalera. Mine is no frills. The smaller one (MS-60), no accessories, and it fits my needs perfectly. Dimensions aren't much larger than a standard appliance dolly, so I can fit a game, and the escalera in my minivan at the same time. It's been a workhorse, successfully moving everything from small EMs, to giant WPC and System 3 games, and even a huge 800 pound gun safe--easily up and down stairs.

#4 3 years ago

Just remember if you do not use it for lengthy times, make sure you run it from time to time as the battery can go bad Or put a trickle charge on it.

#5 3 years ago

I've had an Escalera for close to 10 years. I highly recommend the "Big Wheel" attachment.

I recently obtained a replacement battery at batteries plus for about $75. It's no different then replacing a lawn mower battery. Eventually they lose their ability to hold a charge.

#6 3 years ago

I have an Escalara have yet to use it. I think i used the pinball plate like once to lift up the front of the machine so I could get the legs off and on. I have seen it in action its amazing.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I've had an Escalera for close to 10 years. I highly recommend the "Big Wheel" attachment.

Funny, I have yet to need the big wheel attachment. it is collecting dust. The regular wheels roll over cracks and bumps fine.

#8 3 years ago

+1 On the big wheel attachment. Over 200 machine moved on mine, still running on the original battery.

#9 3 years ago

I have a regular appliance dolly I used for years and still do if I have enough help to go down stairs, Bought a Escalera 6 or 7 years ago, worth every penny use it often saves the body especially the back. I especially like it going up stairs. I have the big wheels tried them once but never really needed them everything is concrete that I go over on. Heard the work great on lawns and such.

#10 3 years ago

I've heard of powermate and wesco as possible alternatives, but I don't think they're any cheaper than an escalera.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Funny, I have yet to need the big wheel attachment. it is collecting dust. The regular wheels roll over cracks and bumps fine.

I use it because it balances right on the fulcrum point. You can push a game around with one finger. For example, when I take games to TPF, it’s a big help hauling the games around the convention center after I unload.

#12 3 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I use it because it balances right on the fulcrum point. You can push a game around with one finger. For example, when I take games to TPF, it’s a big help hauling the games around the convention center after I unload.

good to know. I might just not need it for what i do.

#14 3 years ago

Has anyone used the big wheel attachment with the forklift and was able to use all four wheels to transport a pinball still attached to the pallet?

#15 3 years ago

Great info guys - Any suggestion the 60 VS 66? Also, it looks like "Larry" is no longer in the escalera business. Any suggestions where to buy? These things are not cheap!

Thanks!

#17 3 years ago

I'll recommend Escalara all the way!

If you're tall, get the taller model - I felt like I was leaning\bending over too far when using the shorter models, especially on stairs.

#18 3 years ago

Anyone have any experience with the one cointaker sells? I don’t love the price, but it intrigues me because it seems lighter than others out there.

https://cointaker.com/products/stair-climber-motorized-cart

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tortelvis:

Anyone have any experience with the one cointaker sells? I don’t love the price, but it intrigues me because it seems lighter than others out there.

Appears to be this model:
    https://www.magliner.com/powered-stair-climbing-hand-truck-170-model
    https://www.amazon.com/CLK170EGS4-Aluminum-Climbing-Pneumatic-Capacity/dp/B008PG77VG

Not finding a ton of reviews. FWIW, Cointaker's price appears to be very competitive.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tortelvis:

I like the lightweight design and smaller foot print for sure. Looks like it does 29 steps per minute. I am not sure my escalera can do that.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I like the lightweight design and smaller foot print for sure. Looks like it does 29 steps per minute. I am not sure my escalera can do that.

Escalara, about 6 seconds per step

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from smileymatthew:

Great info guys - Any suggestion the 60 VS 66? Also, it looks like "Larry" is no longer in the escalera business. Any suggestions where to buy? These things are not cheap!
    Thanks!

Happy to help with any Escalera needs or questions. Escalera is a Great company and good group of people who have supported the pinball industry and the people within it. Shoot me a message ([email protected]) or 8124579711 and I’ll walk you through if you need something like the Escalera or if you’d be better sticking to a regular handtruck.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tortelvis:

It looks weak It's capacity is just 375 lbs, pinballs are like 300ish, I see plastic wheels . The escalera is rated for 1200lbs, should last forever..
    I just finally ordered one from Zach.

#24 3 years ago
    25771BAB-9B4C-4F25-B65B-678A22C51AFB (resized).jpeg25771BAB-9B4C-4F25-B65B-678A22C51AFB (resized).jpeg
    #25 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I really like my escalera. Mine is no frills. The smaller one (MS-60), no accessories, and it fits my needs perfectly. Dimensions aren't much larger than a standard appliance dolly, so I can fit a game, and the escalera in my minivan at the same time. It's been a workhorse, successfully moving everything from small EMs, to giant WPC and System 3 games, and even a huge 800 pound gun safe--easily up and down stairs.

Mines the same ... got it new from Zach at Flippin' Out. Zach will be patient with you and steer you in the right direction. Only things I added were the topside grab handles (glad I did and they are cheap) and a second battery due to moving my entire collection over 2 days. If you have a straight set of stairs and a long landing, with no (or wide) turns on your stairs, I would go with the 66" as you'll appreciate the leverage from that extra height. 60" works great but will require a bit more "muscle" to manage/balance the load. Great advice that others here have already given is to watch for used ones that might require repairs even though it technically works. Poorly handled Escalera's can have wheel and/or chain damage (and more). You don't want your Craigslist bargain Escalera to have a structural failure under load. Not saying every second hand one is risky, just do your homework

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Escalara, about 6 seconds per step

So it can't. interesting. I have 18 steps and I know it takes longer than minute.

#27 3 years ago

I use my escalera all the time for TVs, furniture, boxes you name it when I need to go up and down stairs. And for my 9 pinball machines. It can't be beat.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from tonycip:

It looks weak It's capacity is just 375 lbs, pinballs are like 300ish, I see plastic wheels . The escalera is rated for 1200lbs, should last forever..
    I just finally ordered one from Zach.

I looked the product up and the 375 is the base model, the next one up handles 725 lbs which would be overkill for a pinball mover. Don’t own it, just clarifying your statement.
    D30BDF62-E869-4607-98BA-869B339090A0 (resized).jpegD30BDF62-E869-4607-98BA-869B339090A0 (resized).jpeg

#29 3 years ago

The big wheels for the Escalera are absolutely necessary if you ever plan to go over anything other than pavement. It allowed me to get my game in over muddy ground last week. And it works in snow, as ZMeny 's picture shows.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tortelvis:

Capacity is too low for some widebodies.

#31 3 years ago

I have never used my big wheel attachment and now I'm just slapping my head after seeing your photo

But, I reinforce what everyone says about the Escalera. I have a walkout basement and had been lugging machines around my backyard for years. I'm not getting any younger (but then again who is?) . . . But with the escalera, I can drop the few steps from my garage into my basement with less time and effort with the escalera . . .

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

I looked the product up and the 375 is the base model, the next one up handles 725 lbs which would be overkill for a pinball mover. Don’t own it, just clarifying your statement.
    [quoted image]

How much does the heavy duty one cost?
    is 3500 the cost of the whimpy one?

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from tonycip:

How much does the heavy duty one cost?
    is 3500 the cost of the whimpy one?

Wait...HOW MUCH for the wimpy one???

Does it at least double as a Stern topper?

#34 3 years ago

What is the going rate on the escalara?

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tortelvis:

What is the going rate on the escalara?

2300~
    1200lb capacity

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

[quoted image]

WoZ weight is 371lbs. 375 is way too close.

I love my escalera. RLA-EW.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I recently obtained a replacement battery at batteries plus for about $75. It's no different then replacing a lawn mower battery. Eventually they lose their ability to hold a charge.

Keep in mind these have to be sealed gel or matt batteries so you do not need to store it vertical and can lay it down in the back of a truck etc.

#39 3 years ago

Good move getting the escalera. I love mine. I just worry every time it gets loaned out because nobody takes care of your stuff like you do. Many guys have debated over how necessary it is, but that should not even be debatable. Look at it this way....how much are you going to spend in medical costs, and how much time are you going to lose off work for a shoulder or back surgery? Not to mention the pain and suffering. And when you are too old to need it for anything the resale value on them are great. There is really no decision to be made other than how you wish to pay for it because eventually you will pay more for not having it.
    It gets you lots of free beer and pizza from friends too when they want you to help them move a game too.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

Good move getting the escalera. I love mine. I just worry every time it gets loaned out because nobody takes care of your stuff like you do.

If you know anything about what I went through, you'd know not to lend it out to anybody. Ever.

#42 3 years ago

I only tried the escalara once and I felt like it was trying to flip me down the stairs. It felt so dangerous to me that after a few steps, I stopped and just used my regular dolly. I’m only moving standard body Williams games which I think are abound 250lbs., but I’m getting older and my days of heavy lifting are getting close to being over. Does the escalara get easier to use after awhile? Seems like for the price, you can’t beat it, but I wish there was something that was lighter and handled easier. It would be cool if someone designed one specifically for pins. Maybe 500lb capacity, lightweight, easy to handle, etc

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

Keep in mind these have to be sealed gel or matt batteries so you do not need to store it vertical and can lay it down in the back of a truck etc.

I wasn’t aware. Good advice. Thanks!

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tortelvis:

I only tried the escalara once and I felt like it was trying to flip me down the stairs. It felt so dangerous to me that after a few steps, I stopped and just used my regular dolly. I’m only moving standard body Williams games which I think are abound 250lbs., but I’m getting older and my days of heavy lifting are getting close to being over. Does the escalara get easier to use after awhile? Seems like for the price, you can’t beat it, but I wish there was something that was lighter and handled easier. It would be cool if someone designed one specifically for pins. Maybe 500lb capacity, lightweight, easy to handle, etc

The answer is yes. I tell new buyers to practice practice practice before throwing a heavy pin on there. It’s like a bicycle. First it feels odd, but once you get it down, there’s no forgetting how to ride.

I intend on shooting some updated video on the Escalera and how-tos so that people have more info on them. But honestly, after a little practice they are extremely safe and easy to use.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tortelvis:

Quoted from ZMeny:

The answer is yes. I tell new buyers to practice practice practice before throwing a heavy pin on there. It’s like a bicycle. First it feels odd, but once you get it down, there’s no forgetting how to ride.
    I intend on shooting some updated video on the Escalera and how-tos so that people have more info on them. But honestly, after a little practice they are extremely safe and easy to use.

The first time or two is definitely a little nuts as you are not prepared for the drastic shift in the center of gravity. Once you know how the dolly grabs the steps and the weight is going to shift you get alot more used to the position the dolly needs to be in to balance the load and how you need to position yourself. I find it easier to actually use one of the top handles and then one of the handles on the side of the dolly to get the best control for the steps to my basement.

Another good tip I got and use is just go slow and make minor adjustments. If the feet don't look like they are going to make a good and safe grab, just back up a bit and adjust and then go to the next step. No need to rush it down.

I'm comfortable moving games with it myself at this point, but it also helps to have a spotter if someone is available. If my wife is home, she will apply just a bit of counter pressure when I move a game to take off any extra shifting of the weight. She isn't really lifting or doing much, just giving a bit of balance back towards me. She has used it by herself to move a dryer out of our basement once when I wasn't home without any prior experience.

Like Zach said, practice is key and you'll get used to it the more you do it. You still need to put in some effort and caution, but I have a bad back anyway and mine has been great to have.

#46 3 years ago

I've moved Sterns, B/W, American, JJPs(including POTC) and P3 (the heavyweight of machines) by myself with my Escalara. Once you get used to it, it is a piece of cake and a back saver! If you are in this hobby and have stairs it is a no-brainer. Big wheels are a must.

#47 3 years ago

My only input on the escalara is I Really think there should be a defined spec for the type and measurement of steps it’s suggested for. Not all steps are the same! I’ve notice in many of the videos they always seem to have Long tread Hard type stairs. That’s fine. Anyone with shorter stair treads Or thick carpet your results Will be different! Just moved a game with someone that had average stairs but the nose of the stair was carpeted. Sure enough it slid down 3 steps at a time like a bull ride. We know what it can do but it would be Really beneficial (and safer) if the ideal specifications and limits were outlined for potential buyers. Sadly had to sell mine after a week because as it turns out my basement stairs are 3/8” shorter then code.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from tonycip:

2300~
    1200lb capacity

I think a new one is more like $3300 - nevermind, I went back and looked at my quote. With all the extra attachments it was $3300. You are correct at $2300 with NO attachments or shipping.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

My only input on the escalara is I Really think there should be a defined spec for the type and measurement of steps it’s suggested for. Not all steps are the same! I’ve notice in many of the videos they always seem to have Long tread Hard type stairs. That’s fine. Anyone with shorter stair treads Or thick carpet your results Will be different! Just moved a game with someone that had average stairs but the nose of the stair was carpeted. Sure enough it slid down 3 steps at a time like a bull ride. We know what it can do but it would be Really beneficial (and safer) if the ideal specifications and limits were outlined for potential buyers. Sadly had to sell mine after a week because as it turns out my basement stairs are 3/8” shorter then code.

I have heard people experiencing a plop down one step but never usually three. I’ve never had any issue with carpeted steps. If it went down three steps then the unit was leaned back too much and the sliders slid it down like a typical handtruck

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

If you know anything about what I went through, you'd know not to lend it out to anybody. Ever.

I didn't go through anything and still wouldn't loan it out. EVER.

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-stair-climbing-dolly-cart?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.