(Topic ID: 201174)

Best spot on a pinball machine to get signature?

By NYP

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Phat_Jay
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Ron-with-Edie-Falco (resized).jpg
    rps20171025_221311 (resized).jpg
    IMG9539691 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20171025-190846 (resized).jpg
    dwnag8 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I never got a machine signed before, except for JJP machines. I'm curious where's the best spot? Cabinet? Apron? Backglass? I don't want to de-value the price of the machine.

#2 1 year ago

I feel like if you are gonna do it go balls out and do it. Sharpie in the center of the fuckin' playfield.

Signing under the apron (pointless) or the instruction card (weak) seems kinda half-ass to me. I guess in a pinch a translite will do as they don't cost much, but really.

So yeah, center of the playfield, in sparkly silver sharpie.

#3 1 year ago

Whatever you choose to have signed make sure it's not expensive to replace should the person signing it turn out to be someone you didn't expect them to be. I learned that lesson recently. Cant go wrong with a translite in most cases.

#4 1 year ago

Apron or Apron removable card. I would leave myself the option of taking the removable card out if the designer or signer falls out of favor. Or on playfield mylar could work. Removable card would be best if you have to take something to a show to get it obviously.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I feel like if you are gonna do it go balls out and do it. Sharpie in the center of the fuckin' playfield.
    Signing under the apron (pointless) or the instruction card (weak) seems kinda half-ass to me. I guess in a pinch a translite will do as they don't cost much, but really.

That's pretty much what I would have expected you to say Levi

#6 1 year ago

Signed by who? A pinball celebrity?

#7 1 year ago

I don't want to jinx myself just yet but I will say it's one of the characters on the backglass of the Sopranos. I was thinking on the translite by their picture. BTW , is a sharpie the best thing to use?

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is what I was going to say. Right in the middle of the playfield, that way everybody sees it! Go big or go home!

#9 1 year ago

I'm not a big autograph guy, but I've been tempted to just bring some clear acrylic sheets to the autograph sessions. That way they could be used on top of the freeplay card on any machine.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I've been tempted to just bring some clear acrylic sheets to the autograph sessions. That way they could be used on top of the freeplay card on any machine.

Yeah but that's so half-ass. I remember some guy on CL NY who was - FOREVER- trying to hawk his "SIGNED BY JOHN ENTWHISTLE WHO TOMMY PINBALL MACHINE!!!!"

No, John didn't sign your pinball machine, he signed your instruction card, allegedly. Nice work doofus.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from NYP:

I don't want to jinx myself just yet but I will say it's one of the characters on the backglass of the Sopranos. I was thinking on the translite by their picture. BTW , is a sharpie the best thing to use?

For sure that’s the best place for that autograph. In general, translite is pretty optimal - not going to rub off and replaceable if needed for not too much $$

#12 1 year ago

How about nowhere?

Some people are not into autographs at all, and might find the auto unappealing. Especially if written in an important location like the translight, etc. They are a turnoff for me personally.

Waited in line once at a comic-con to have Stan Lee sign a book. That autographed book now sits forgotten in a box, but shaking his hand & chatting for a few moments is what I'll always cherish. Not the autograph.

If you're gonna do it, the best spot is on a plain rule card in the apron, then get it laminated so it looks nice. That way it can be easily removed.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

How about nowhere?
    Some people are not into autographs at all, and might find the auto unappealing. Especially if written in an important location like the translight, etc. They are a turnoff for me personally.
    Waited in line once at a comic-con to have Stan Lee sign a book. That autographed book now sits forgotten in a box, but shaking his hand & chatting for a few moments is what I'll always cherish. Not the autograph.
    If you're gonna do it, the best spot is on a plain rule card in the apron, then get it laminated so it looks nice. That way it can be easily removed.

I'm not an autograph guy either that's why I asked. But I was planning on keeping a spare unsigned translite with the game for guys like you, they're still available and cheap enough.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

How about nowhere?

Actually I find autographs kind of quaint and charming these days, since it's all about the selfie.

Yeah chats are nice and all but do you really think you said anything to Stan Lee he hasn't heard in his 70 years of dealing with thirsty nerds? I can only imagine the shit these guys hear a million times...

for rock stars, my favorite has gotta be "Your music helped me through the hard times!" Tragic!

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Actually I find autographs kind of quaint and charming these days, since it's all about the selfie.
    Yeah chats are nice and all but do you really think you said anything to Stan Lee he hasn't heard in his 70 years of dealing with thirsty nerds? I can only imagine the shit these guys hear a million times...
    for rock stars, my favorite has gotta be "Your music helped me through the hard times!" Tragic!

I remember meeting Scott Weiland (now deceased and former lead singer of Stone Temple Pilots, Velvet Revolver, etc) at a meet and greet after a concert. I shook his hand and got a pic with him which was great. Next person walks up to him and says "Your music changed my life" and he replies "Please don't tell me that shit." Haha...so true.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

I remember meeting Scott Weiland (now deceased and former lead singer of Stone Temple Pilots, Velvet Revolver, etc) at a meet and greet after a concert. I shook his hand and got a pic with him which was great. Next person walks up to him and says "Your music changed my life" and he replies "Please don't tell me that shit." Haha...so true.

HAHAHAHA wow

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I'm not a big autograph guy, but I've been tempted to just bring some clear acrylic sheets to the autograph sessions. That way they could be used on top of the freeplay card on any machine.

Maybe when he asks why he is not worthy to sign even a free play card you can just wink at him and say, "background check". Asserts dominance, I like it!

#18 1 year ago

Every time I go to the town dump to throw out the trash, someone asks me for my autograph on a clipboard sheet of paper. They are running for local office and need sigs. One time I said to a woman that i want to sign your apron and she called me a chauvinist. Not a true story. Except for the dump autograph sessions every time I go there...that part is true.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

dwnag8 (resized).jpg

#20 1 year ago

Translite for sure. It can turn a lowly Data East Star wars into a $10k game.

#21 1 year ago

My absolute favorite place for a signature is on the Proof of Delivery (POD) form that the transport carrier asks me to sign after he delivers my NIB pin!

#22 1 year ago

Whenever I clean up a EM machine, I sign and date the underside of the relay board in the cabinet. I doubt it adds any value.

#23 1 year ago

I'm not a signature guy either. When Jim from The Sanctum was taking my Dirty Harry to Pintastic for the Silverball Tournament he asked me if I wanted Barry Oursler to sign it. I said "Why?".

As for signing the center of the playfield? How annoying. A mod that blocks artwork and you'd have to seal or you'd end up with a real spotty mess.

Have them sign a $1 bill, tape it in the coin box and say you made him pay to play their game. No one rides for free.

#24 1 year ago

I personally have the flyer signed of the game. It goes on the wall as a keepsake, and I get to keep it after the game were to leave. I don't see it adding anything and can be seen as a negative when on the actual pinball.

#25 1 year ago

+1 for apron cards. Easily sent through the mail to be signed if that's an option. And it's completely removable if you sell the game to keep as a momento or, god forbid, the person signing the card gets charged with a deplorable crime and you wish to not display the autograph anymore. (I'm thankful I only had an apron card signed for my CFTBL, and not the translite as he had originally offered.)

Here's my WWFRR card signed by the Hitman. I have most of my Sys11/DMD games signed by the designer.

Screenshot_20171025-190846 (resized).jpg

#26 1 year ago

While watching Pawn Stars one day they were discussing that Stan Lee's signature was so common that some collectors felt it de-valued the comic book. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the translite, seems like the best place to me. It's hard to take Levi seriously about signing the middle of the playfield and personally I would never buy a machine with a signature on the middle of the playfield, unless of course it was signed by Levi. I was considering signing the cabinet somewhere, for about a minute.

#27 1 year ago

I had a paragon once that I thought had the perfect signature placement.IMG9539691 (resized).jpg

#28 1 year ago

I had a Shadow with a signed apron, but I was still able to find a buyer for it...

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Apron or Apron removable card. I would leave myself the option of taking the removable card out if the designer or signer falls out of favor. Or on playfield mylar could work. Removable card would be best if you have to take something to a show to get it obviously.

Agree

#30 1 year ago

In your case the translite sounds best as there is a picture of the person there that they can sign next to.

I get that some people aren't into autographs but I think they are cool reminders of fun memories.

I had my Batman66 game as part of fundraiser at a comic show that Adam West and Burt Ward were both attending. At the end of the day they both came to play my game. Burt even asked for a tutorial on how to play the game. Afterwards Burt said he wanted to thank me by signing my game. After Burt signed my apron he said it just added thousands of dollars to its value, LOL! I definitely don't agree with that. But I do believe it's a wonderful reminder of the day I got to play a little pinball with my two childhood heros. My biggest regret is that I didnt have the balls to ask Adam to sign it after he played it.

rps20171025_221311 (resized).jpg

#31 1 year ago

A playfield plastic should also work, as small enough piece to take to a show.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crispin:

I had a paragon once that I thought had the perfect signature placement.

That’s awesome

1 month later
    #33 1 year ago

Wound up buying a new Sopranos from Carmela Soprano. She was nice enough to sign the translite right under her picture in the pink area (after the picture was taken). She said she got the machine for doing the voice-over work.

Ron-with-Edie-Falco (resized).jpg

#34 1 year ago

Did it come with a plate of gabagool?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Star Wars Premium Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 11.95
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside