Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Leeb18509
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best sport theme pin”

• Indianapolis 500 4 votes
      9%
    • WCS 94 25 votes
      54%
    • Champion Pub 4 votes
      9%
    • NBA Fastbreak 3 votes
      7%
    • Radical 0 votes
    • No Fear 3 votes
      7%
    • Full Throttle 4 votes
      9%
    • Royal rumble 0 votes
    • Other 3 votes
      7%

(46 votes)

#1 7 years ago

hi there,
    which is the best pinball machine with a sport theme in your opinion?
    i'm considering all aspects as gameplay, toys, sound, lastability and fun.
    Gameplay needs to get a wizard mode.
    i will add a poll later as i don't really know all of these pins.
    thanks

#2 7 years ago

Might have to ask what many here consider a sport.. Golf, boxing, surfing, bowling, poker, fishing, chess aren't considered sports to some.

My vote is champion pub.

#3 7 years ago

WCS if you like football, or Nascar if that's a sport.

#4 7 years ago

Grand Prix an wrestlemania if u consider them sports.

#5 7 years ago

Not a whole lot to choose from, but I would go Indianapolis 500

#7 7 years ago

WCS '94 x 3

#8 7 years ago

The yet to be made NHL Pin get your team to the playoffs and win the cup. For now I'll second everyone else by saying WCS 94

#9 7 years ago

No Fear.

#10 7 years ago

Watch this, I'll get 'em up:
    TRON

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Not a whole lot to choose from, but I would go Indianapolis 500

does it get a wizard mode?

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Might have to ask what many here consider a sport.. Golf, boxing, surfing, bowling, poker, fishing, chess aren't considered sports to some.
    My vote is champion pub.

yes, golf, soccer, box, race car...poker, fishing, chess are hobbies in my mind.

so effectively i was thinking to WCS, Full throttle, I500, Radical, no fear, NBA F., etc

i'm looking for a fun one, challenging and with a wizard mode.

#13 7 years ago

Gottlieb's Bit Hit. I enjoy baseball themed games and an EM lends itself better to the pace of baseball.

#14 7 years ago

I've played WCS '94 the most, followed by NBA Fastbreak.

I'm not even a soccer fan, and I would love to have a WCS.

And if I'm not mistaken, both are voiced by the same guy who did NBA Jam. Maybe I'm just drawn to him?

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

The yet to be made NHL Pin get your team to the playoffs and win the cup.

Never thought about it, but guess I haven't seen any modern Hockey games. Makes sense as the flipper motion is closest to whatever they call hitting the puck than any other sports pins. Besides baseball I guess. I wouldn't mind seeing a WCS-ish version of a hockey game.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Gottlieb's Bit Hit. I enjoy baseball themed games and an EM lends itself better to the pace of baseball.

well, i would prefer DMD game or at least alphanumeric. i like fast playing and good flow

#18 7 years ago

indy 500 with WCS right behind it.

#19 7 years ago

FullT, Indy 500, WCS, BBH

#20 7 years ago

Nitro Ground Shaker. Holes all day isn't much of a wizard mode but other than that...

#21 7 years ago

NGG

Very fast and great flow.
    Downside is the Wizard mode is underwhelming and too easy to achieve.

#23 7 years ago

NGG! Super satisfying hole in one and jackpot shots.

#24 7 years ago

I don't really consider auto racing a sport. If so, I500 is pretty good. I voted for Champion Pub since gameplay is much more sport like than something like I500. I thought Champion Pub would be too gimmicky until I actually played one. Tons of fun and very unique. WCS also does a good job with the soccer theme so a close 2nd. If fishing a sport, have to throw in Fish Tales. Whitewater would also have to be recognized if rafting included.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

NGG! Super satisfying hole in one and jackpot shots.

That Hole-in-One shot is one of the most satisfying shots in all off Pinball!

#26 7 years ago

WCS, NGG is fun too, but if you're all about wizard mode, it's not the best. I think either of those is a winner.

#28 7 years ago

Shaq!

On a more serious note I'd also say WCS. No Fear is pretty fun if you like blazing fast gameplay. The wizard mode isn't too hard to get to, like Encore or Valinor, but it's still fun.

#29 7 years ago

Ok WCS seems to be the winner. Can so tell me more about it? Is it a fast game, with flow, challenging? Is the Wizard mode difficult to get? Thanks

#30 7 years ago

http://pinball.org/rules/worldcupsoccer.html

Description of the rule set and how to collect cities, play the 15 teams, strategy, etc. My suggestion is to not buy a game until you play it. Even though a game is considered a good one, you may not like it. For example, MET is considered a really great game, but it doesn't do anything for me personally.

#31 7 years ago

WCS has great flow. If you are making your shots the ball is back on the flippers very quickly. Ramps are buttery smooth.

I think it's a game that can be set up to be a nice challenge when outlanes are opened wide, or can be made easier. If you focus on just progressing through the cities the wizard mode is not terribly difficult. You have to get good at hitting the left loop though which takes some time to get down.

Progressing through the Final Draw ladder during multiball is where it's at though!

#32 7 years ago

WCS has great flow. ramps are pretty easy to hit and feel good. the "goal" shot and callout are incredibly satisfying. gameplay is intuitive, but deep. best kind.

just last weekend, a staggering drunk non-pinhead at a bar asked me how to get multiball on the WCS i was playing there -- i explained it to him, and he proceeded to get multiball on his next game (he drained all three balls almost immediately though).

multiball is pretty easy to get, but not automatic. you've gotta hit a series of about 5 shots to light the lock, then hit the left ramp to lock the ball, then hit a scoop to start multiball. the wizard mode is pretty hard to get to, it's more involved. but it's one of my favorite wizard modes. you have to outscore your opponent in the World Cup finals by scoring a bunch of goals in a certain amount of time. the game has a professional play by play guy who does a running commentary.

honorable mentions got to NGG and Champion Pub.

#33 7 years ago

Have owned a few in your list, if wizard mode is a requirement, then NGG and I500 really don't live up to that. I500 is very fast and while there are four objectives, it is quite disappointing that there is no wizard mode if you can manage to complete all four, which is certainly not easy. WCS is great for kids and non pinball fans since they can just shoot the goal, which while not the real focus of the game, does register with them. NGG great humor, good flow, fun toy, but, was a game I had no trouble letting go.

#34 7 years ago

Struggle Buggies is my favorite at this time.

Fish Tales is a good modern game.

#35 7 years ago

Rollergames. Duh!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-sport-theme-pin?hl=hassanchop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.