Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pinfidel
  • Topic is favorited by 199 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3CC3D4F6-888C-46E9-A053-AA72A4471EFD (resized).jpeg
    3A494343-4B5B-432E-BD12-36BC5FE748B8 (resized).jpeg
    1F07F8F5-1FB3-42B0-8365-DDA86BA9B891 (resized).jpeg
    BA5A1342-EDB8-4C35-ABB1-46B4A3481DFD (resized).jpeg
    DSC07448 (resized).JPG
    015 (resized).jpg
    016 (resized).jpg
    017 (resized).jpg
    018 (resized).jpg
    052 (resized).jpg
    019 (resized).jpg
    020 (resized).jpg
    021 (resized).jpg
    022 (resized).jpg
    023 (resized).jpg
    024 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider terryb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 8 years ago

Great information. Thanks for sharing.

The Touch-n-Flow Applicator uses capillary action to apply small controlled amounts of solvent.

http://www.flex-i-file.com/adhesives.php

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I have been using Plastex to repair or recreate plastic pieces. It's REALLY strong too, but not nearly as cheap.

Plastex serves a different purpose in my opinion. I use Plastex when I need to recreate a piece--like a broken mounting tab. It's been used for years on dirt bikes and it will stand up to a beating.

#28 8 years ago

To the best of my knowledge, older ramps where made from butyrate and modern ramps from PETG. Maybe Vid (or someone) can confirm this.

If that is correct does that change which solvent would be recommended?

Great discussion guys.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from wantdataeast:

Talking to the guys that sell plastic at my local store, specific solvents vary from plastic to plastic. This Weld-on product specifies: Styrene, Butyrate, polycarbonate with an overall labeling of “ACRYLICS”.

Is PETG a polycarbonate plastic?

QuarterGrabber, do you have any photos of repairs you've done with Plastex?

I don't mean to derail the thread, but it would be nice to have the main ramp repair techniques in one place.

#38 8 years ago

So are the products mentioned fine for PETG, or is there another option that SCIGRIP offers that is better?

http://www.scigrip.com/product.php?id=72

#43 8 years ago
    #45 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Some plastics require glue and others are better-suited for solvents to bond. The model kits we all assembled as kids were injection molded from polystyrene which is another polymer with low chemical resistance. That means that solvents like MEK will dissolve it.
    The Testers model glue we all used (and some on here probably sniffed) was not really glue. It's a solvent that melts the polystyrene and allows you to "weld" two pieces together.
    Plastics that have higher chemical resistance require actual "glues" to bond them together. The same is true for gluing two dissimilar polymers where one has high chemical resistance or gluing to a non-plastic surface.
    PET is polyester and can be glued with solvents. You won't get as good results using epoxy or glue.
    Probably the most-widely used PET in pinball is Mylar (which is a Dupont trade name for biaxially-oriented PET film). Soda pop bottles are also biaxially-oriented which is why they are so strong. Biaxial orientation refers to mechanically aligning the molecular chains in two directions.
    I work in the plastics industry and mold PET bottles as well as other injection molded and blow molded products.
    I use that ABS glue I showed a picture of earlier to repair speaker grills that are molded from glass-reinforced acrylonitrile butadiene styrene which is polystyrene with a rubber impact modifier added to increase the impact strength. Fiberglass is also added to further increase the strength. By using the solvent you are actually welding the plastic rather than relying on a glue to stick to each surface and bond.

Great info. Thanks.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider terryb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-solvent-to-repair-pinball-ramps-and-plasticsend-of-story?tu=terryb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.