Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 149 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B088D987-C94B-4456-B0BA-01C5AEF8A23D (resized).jpeg
    C4F52DA4-749F-4349-9AD4-A41A0CD49DF5 (resized).jpeg
    E7DF7FE0-857F-49F8-86B6-7BB268934130 (resized).jpeg
    1659461651586572006675895353656 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SpyroFTW.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I have a pretty wide range of games, stretching from the late 40’s to 2020. The only thing I am missing is a SS game from the late 70’s or 80’s. If you could only have one from this era, what game would you get and why? I enjoy a lot of games from this era but Im sure there are plenty I haven’t played or considered. Thank you in advance!

#35 1 year ago

Well I expected nothing less than a million answers and I have not disappointed and I thank you. I have to try Big Game, Future Spa, Jungle Lord, Black Hole and a few others. Fortunately I have games like Stars, Taxi, Flash Gordon, Laser Cue and Paragon on location locally and they are great. No sense in having one at home when I can play them and support local businesses. I would get a Big Guns, but it wont fit in my basement due to ceiling height. From what it sounds like, I really cant go wrong. Maybe my question should have been what games to avoid?

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I think all these replies prove the point OP should go out and play a bunch and see what stands out!
    Maybe a batter topic would be which solid states to avoid. I’ll start with Silverball Mania and Stern’s imaginatively titled “Pinball” aka “somebody will eventually convert me into a Star Gazer or Quicksilver”

Oh I have played many of these and really enjoy them. But there are games I havent played and this gives me a list to try and find. Silverball Mania isn’t terrible, but not a game Im looking to get. I guess that is why its in your games to avoid list.

Im honestly surprised by all the love Flash Gordon gets, but I do enjoy it myself. It kicks my ass though on a regular basis. But its on location locally, so no reason to own. I am realizing that I should have asked what games to avoid.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Agree to disagree

Lol, you and everyone else. Im not saying its a good game, just not terrible. Nobody likes DE TMNT and I really like it, so I guess I just need to collect all the misfit pins.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from Conrad:

I own a Barracora and love it. has a 2 ball and a 3 ball multiball. Good set of a rules and is a rarer game in the world it seems since Ive owned one, only found one place besides me to have it. Still ranked high in the list as well on here through the test of time.

That is a good game I totally forgot about. Havent seen one in years.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

You're talking about earnings and I don't disagree with you, I was thinking of it in terms of home ownership.
    Maybe I'm too naive, but I figured there was a good market for private party sales.

I think Haggis has some SS licenses that they are hoping to make after Fathom. If they finish those. Unfortunately with shipping costs it wouldn’t be cheaper than a Stern Pro. It would be cool but I dont see it happening. I would be a buyer if it did though

#92 1 year ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

But I think Haggis is now losing money at that price point of $7500.

That sucks if they are. I would like to see them succeed even though their games are out of my price range. Still, it would be nice if some older games got remade in the same style of CC. I think it would be awesome to swap between new and old code. I wish there were more places to play SS games on location so that I could play the ones I havent and have a better idea of what to add to the collection.

1 week later
    #133 1 year ago
    Quoted from DK:

So what are you getting OP?

A decision hasn’t been made yet. Unfortunately I havent played all the games, thus my search for others opinions on why they like a particular game of that era. My gf tells me its down to a couple of Zac games that might be hard to find, Sea Witch, Swords of Fury and Laser Cue. The last two are on location nearby so I dont see any reason to own. Sea Witch would be nice and Zac games are usually in pretty decent condition. I still want to try Big Game, Centaur, Firepower and Black Hole among a few others. Really just need to go to a few shows and museums to find some of these games “in the wild” so to speak. But, if the gf wants a specific game in mind, that might trump my wants. I mean, where else am I going to find a gal that loves pinball as much as I do?

#134 1 year ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I mean, if you have the money and some patience, you could probably find a nice one. But, I don't know if this is the game that I would suggest to someone to purchase before suggesting 20 other classic titles that have great replay value for less than half the price of a Hoops. It's an expensive game these days. It would be like suggesting he buy a Defender. Much better suggestions than that game.
    Ultimately, the best SS games to own is the one that he can find, afford, and likes the best.

I dont even know this game. Have to look it up. You aren’t wrong about finding a game I like and can afford. But, Im willing to make road trips within 10hrs, so its not too hard to find games within reach. Plus there is no rush. When the right game comes up, we will know it. Hopefully, lol

2 weeks later
    #137 1 year ago

Any thoughts on Wild Fyre? Never played it but looks interesting.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SpyroFTW.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-solid-state-game-to-own?tu=SpyroFTW and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.