Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 149 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B088D987-C94B-4456-B0BA-01C5AEF8A23D (resized).jpeg
    C4F52DA4-749F-4349-9AD4-A41A0CD49DF5 (resized).jpeg
    E7DF7FE0-857F-49F8-86B6-7BB268934130 (resized).jpeg
    1659461651586572006675895353656 (resized).jpg
    There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

Ever seen the other side of a Medusa playfield? The space shuttle's engineering is seemingly LESS complex with how they packaged and fit everything in that space. It's mind blowing. There has to be about 12 miles of wire, the drop banks, all the lighting, the zipper flipper mechs, the pops, the spinners, all those coils, etc. etc. From the topside, it doesn't LOOK that complex.
    Again, making an exact replica of a classic game would cost a fortune today.
    As much crap as people talk, node boards, surface mount technology, and coms cables are probably the very things that have significantly decreased the BOM for Stern, and allowed them to stay profitable without larger price increases than we're already used to.

Nobody is making an exact replica. As you say, there are cost saving measures with modern tech, and if that is compatible with the requirements, that is what will be used.

Many classic SS titles are for sure cost effective to remake when you get into the 7+k mark that you would be into for a pristine example, and the margin will improve with volume.

Quoted from Haymaker:

I think you are confusing "less complex" with "me no see ramps n stuff this game cheap" I guarantee the BOM on many classic ballys is higher than most modern pins.

IDK, having trouble seeing this.. I understand the B+W titles are still crazy for BOM, but most classics are not that crazy when you break it down.

#102 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How many does Bally Fathom have?

Lets see 2 sets of 3 in line drop targets, a center 3 bank target, and a row or 6 drop targets for 15 total drops... Plus a spinner, rollover... squak and talk. Pretty loaded.

#103 1 year ago

OP needs to change the thread title to, "Which SS games should be remade and of course they should be cheaper?" because clearly that's what this thread has turned into.

#104 1 year ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

OP needs to change the thread title to, "Which SS games should be remade and of course they should be cheaper?" because clearly that's what this thread has turned into.

Seems like a good feature, to automatically suffix this to all posts in "Buying and Selling Advice"

#105 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Lets see 2 sets of 3 in line drop targets, a center 3 bank target, and a row or 6 drop targets for 15 total drops... Plus a spinner, rollover... squak and talk. Pretty loaded.

Seems simple enough.

Someone should be able to knock those off in small numbers at like $1200 a machine!

After all there’s no ramps nor LCD screen.

#106 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How many does Bally Fathom have?

You imply a game with a ramp is cheaper than a game with a drop target bank, I'm merely pointing out that Fathom not only has a drop target bank it has three of them. So "drop target banks are more expensive than ramps" is somewhat a weak and odd argument.

Haggis is actually making games with them, one assumes its profitable to do so.

Frankly I can't recall anyone but you making the comparison because no one disputes a ramp is cheaper than a drop target bank unless you want to discuss games like Time Machine that require a 30k 2 piece aluminum form to make the whirlpool ramp. Great if running off a few thousand for mass production, not so much for limited production game.

Games with ramps tend to be expensive for other reasons; electronics, mechanical complexity, toys, etc. A node board alone is $400+

FYI you may wish to check prices on some ramps, I did a quick look on Marco pinball and some ramps are rather pricey.

If games with drops were cost prohibitive, then we would see games without them. Instead we see that beacon of cost cutting Stern actually installing them on Jurassic Park "The Pin" with MDF playfield, Ikea cabinet and missing node board.

But the damn thing has a drop target bank. And TWO ramps!

For $4500

Your argument is invalid. Ironic Stern would drive it home for me, forgot all about the Stern Jurassic pin.

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

You imply a game with a ramp is cheaper than a game with a drop target bank, I'm merely pointing out that Fathom not only has a drop target bank it has three of them. So "drop target banks are more expensive than ramps" is somewhat a weak and odd argument.
    Haggis is actually making games with them, one assumes its profitable to do so.
    Frankly I can't recall anyone but you making the comparison because no one disputes a ramp is cheaper than a drop target bank unless you want to discuss games like Time Machine that require a 30k 2 piece aluminum form to make the whirlpool ramp. Great if running off a few thousand for mass production, not so much for limited production game.
    Games with ramps tend to be expensive for other reasons; electronics, mechanical complexity, toys, etc. A node board alone is $400+
    FYI you may wish to check prices on some ramps, I did a quick look on Marco pinball and some ramps are rather pricey.
    If games with drops were cost prohibitive, then we would see games without them. Instead we see that beacon of cost cutting Stern actually installing them on Jurassic Park "The Pin" with MDF playfield, Ikea cabinet and missing node board.
    But the damn thing has a drop target bank. And TWO ramps!
    For $4500
    Your argument is invalid. Ironic Stern would drive it home for me, forgot all about the Stern Jurassic pin.

I really assume its not profitable for Haggis tbh. Buying ramps from Marco and what it costs mfg's to make ramps in mass quantities are 2 entirely different things. I think what it boils down to here is exactly what you said "You're assuming" and it seems like your assumptions are based on a lot of things I don't think you quite understand. Its kind of like how I always see people say Stern's Beatles must have a low BOM and was a CaSh GrAb because theres "nothing in it" but from what I understand its BOM was at the normal or higher rate as any other premium model, plus the incredibly expensive license.

#108 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I really assume its not profitable for Haggis tbh.

Why are they in business then? You are literately stating their business model sucks and they are going to fail.

Quoted from Haymaker:

Buying ramps from Marco and what it costs mfg's to make ramps in mass quantities are 2 entirely different things.

Well aware of it and alluded to it with Time Machine ramp reference, was just for a point of reference ramps not cheap ether. Stainless costs, fabrication, bucks and molds all suck up front end money too.

Quoted from Haymaker:

I think what it boils down to here is exactly what you said "You're assuming" and it seems like your assumptions are based on a lot of things I don't think you quite understand.

I'm assuming little, the prices quoted below are freely available.

I understand somewhere between Sterns $4500 JP home pin, Stern $6600 Pro's and Haggis $7500 Fathom remake there is a market for certain "classic pins"

Stern Pinball could pull it off with ease, I don't see it happening as Gary Stern has made it clear in an interview or two he has no interest in "looking backward" and the Gary Stern Retirement Fund is going to be powered by 3 licensed new titles and 1 rerun/vault per year. Right from the horses mouth.

Aside from some goofy one offs like the Primus/Whoa Nelly/Pabst Can Crusher, Heavy Metal and the home pin lineup which are good for expanding Stern's market reach but I wager don't bring in the big bucks but help reduce the hardware costs further (volume parts discounts, increased profit margin) and keep the lines jumping.

Its all academic aside from what Haggis doing (and of course Chicago Gaming who has staked out the high end remakes) and I wish them luck, the last two years have been a tough road for everyone.

And just to be clear; I don't think they have to be perfect down to the last nut and bolt remakes. If they had modern boards, pcb based lamps (like Haggis) and several other over the counter parts from newer machines there is a normie market segment who would snap them up. Nostaglia sells and a number of people have no interest whats under the hood as long as it looks like the one they played in their youth. Which again, is what Haggis is doing. The under playfield looks nothing like classic Bally and people are willing to wait years for them.

#109 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Why are they in business then? You are literately stating their business model sucks and they are going to fail.

Yes I think their business model sucks. I would not be shocked to see them go out of buisiness or at the very least a fairly substantial price increase on the next title.

Quoted from gdonovan:

Well aware of it and alluded to it with Time Machine ramp reference, was just for a point of reference ramps not cheap ether. Stainless costs, fabrication, bucks and molds all suck up front end money too.

Again, you just don't get it. The molds can be expensive, sure. But its a 1 time cost. And thats spread out over the course of the run with cheap plastic ramps after that. Drop target banks are fairly complex mechanical devices that all must be hand assembled and use a ton of parts. Honestly I'm shocked at how long the drop target vs ramp price debate has raged on. Its silly, and the whole point of it is just to illustrate that most or all of your assumptions are incorrect in most circumstances. Just because "well I found one example that maybe just maybe and really I'm just guessing but in my mind it makes sense, even though what makes sense in my mind isn't founded in actual reality" doesn't prove your point.

Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm assuming little, the prices quoted below are freely available.

I understand somewhere between Sterns $4500 JP home pin, Stern $6600 Pro's and Haggis $7500 Fathom remake there is a market for certain "classic pins"

Stern Pinball could pull it off with ease, I don't see it happening as Gary Stern has made it clear in an interview or two he has no interest in "looking backward" and the Gary Stern Retirement Fund is going to be powered by 3 licensed new titles and 1 rerun/vault per year. Right from the horses mouth.

Aside from some goofy one offs like the Primus/Whoa Nelly/Pabst Can Crusher, Heavy Metal and the home pin lineup which are good for expanding Stern's market reach but I wager don't bring in the big bucks but help reduce the hardware costs further (volume parts discounts, increased profit margin) and keep the lines jumping.

Its all academic aside from what Haggis doing (and of course Chicago Gaming who has staked out the high end remakes) and I wish them luck, the last two years have been a tough road for everyone.

And just to be clear; I don't think they have to be perfect down to the last nut and bolt remakes. If they had modern boards, pcb based lamps (like Haggis) and several other over the counter parts from newer machines there is a normie market segment who would snap them up. Nostaglia sells and a number of people have no interest whats under the hood as long as it looks like the one they played in their youth. Which again, is what Haggis is doing. The under playfield looks nothing like classic Bally and people are willing to wait years for them.

You're assuming a lot. Like everything. Your assumptions are based of some data points sure, but those data points tell very little of the actual story. Also, just no. By in large, the community is not clamoring for remakes of pre-dmd era games. Just because you are, doesn't mean most are. If they were, Haggis would have sold way more Fathoms than they did, and keep in mind probably a majority of those sales were Mermaid editions. People want the extra bling, but more importantly, they wanted what could be a rare collector item. Lets not forget that these were announced when pretty much any pinball announcement would sell relative gangbusters. So the best possible scenario to entice buyers. I know you think you got it all figured out, but you don't. I don't either to be perfectly clear, but the whole point of everything here is that the BOM on these old games is anywhere from barely lower to much higher on current games. You can't make an old game and sell it for 5k and stay in business, unless maybe (and this is a huge MAYBE) somehow you can move thousands and thousands of units which just won't happen

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Yes I think their business model sucks. I would not be shocked to see them go out of buisiness or at the very least a fairly substantial price increase on the next title.

Again, you just don't get it. The molds can be expensive, sure. But its a 1 time cost. And thats spread out over the course of the run with cheap plastic ramps after that. Drop target banks are fairly complex mechanical devices that all must be hand assembled and use a ton of parts. Honestly I'm shocked at how long the drop target vs ramp price debate has raged on. Its silly, and the whole point of it is just to illustrate that most or all of your assumptions are incorrect in most circumstances. Just because "well I found one example that maybe just maybe and really I'm just guessing but in my mind it makes sense, even though what makes sense in my mind isn't founded in actual reality" doesn't prove your point.

You're assuming a lot. Like everything. Your assumptions are based of some data points sure, but those data points tell very little of the actual story. Also, just no. By in large, the community is not clamoring for remakes of pre-dmd era games. Just because you are, doesn't mean most are. If they were, Haggis would have sold way more Fathoms than they did, and keep in mind probably a majority of those sales were Mermaid editions. People want the extra bling, but more importantly, they wanted what could be a rare collector item. Lets not forget that these were announced when pretty much any pinball announcement would sell relative gangbusters. So the best possible scenario to entice buyers. I know you think you got it all figured out, but you don't. I don't either to be perfectly clear, but the whole point of everything here is that the BOM on these old games is anywhere from barely lower to much higher on current games. You can't make an old game and sell it for 5k and stay in business, unless maybe (and this is a huge MAYBE) somehow you can move thousands and thousands of units which just won't happen

I'm out.

#111 1 year ago

Definitely appreciation-wise (and a good case can be made for otherwise), I'll venture to say the best to own is FunHouse.

I've claimed mine is bolted to the floor for sentimental reasons, but when it's up to over three times what my late wife bought it for me for, minimum, sentimentality can begin to waver...

#112 1 year ago

Well, this started as a great thread…

#113 1 year ago

Agree....great thread topic. Would actually like to pick this back up minus the 'how to run a pinball company' slide. Actually considering buying an SS and have never owned one. So would really like to hear about which ones to stay away from and how different/more difficult the maintenance can be vs a mid 90's DMD pin. Would really like to hear more opinions....

#114 1 year ago
    Quoted from mikerob34:

Agree....great thread topic. Would actually like to pick this back up minus the 'how to run a pinball company' slide.

If you truly love a thread, you must set it free.

#115 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If you truly love a thread, you must set it free.

I hear ya brotha...

#116 1 year ago

So what are you getting OP?

#117 1 year ago

So when are you picking up Big Game?

#118 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

So when are you picking up Big Game?

Fair point; there is one listed in Mi right now.

#119 1 year ago
    Quoted from mikerob34:

Agree....great thread topic. Would actually like to pick this back up minus the 'how to run a pinball company' slide. Actually considering buying an SS and have never owned one. So would really like to hear about which ones to stay away from and how different/more difficult the maintenance can be vs a mid 90's DMD pin. Would really like to hear more opinions....

Maintenance-wise, I would say similar, maybe a bit more for the boards. I'm pretty familiar with Bally AS-2815 games and though there's a learning curve, once you get it, it's not too bad.

If you're patient enough you can get one for a decent price. Sterns from this era use the same boardsets as ballys, so pick up a cheap Meteor or Galaxy and start there.

#120 1 year ago

Another vote for Sea Witch. Absolute classic and love the layout.

#121 1 year ago

Try, XENON.........Try a TUBE shot.......

#122 1 year ago

So how do we feel about black hole? I’ve never owned one but it seems pretty desirable.

#123 1 year ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

So how do we feel about black hole? I’ve never owned one but it seems pretty desirable.

One of the best.

Good rules, lower pf challenge, good bonus system, extra flippers, cool bg, one of the best solid state tilt sounds! . Only reason I don't own it is I can travel To two friends that will never sell theirs!

#124 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

Stick an TAF next to a Deadpool, and see which one earns better.

Naturally. With licensed games, no teenager is going to walk into a pinball spot and say, "Deadpool? Get outta here. I wanna play this old one based on a 90s movie I never heard of that was made before I was born."

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Pass. Haunted house is better. But, too much wasted real estate to allow for the lower playfield. It’s cool to play at friends’ houses.

#126 1 year ago

For early 80's Bally SS's....which ones have the longest ball times in your opinions?

#127 1 year ago

Hmmm....Centaur is long with outlane posts & MBs

#128 1 year ago
    Quoted from mikerob34:

For early 80's Bally SS's....which ones have the longest ball times in your opinions?

Really comes down to set up...

All things being equal tho, I have found fathom to be pretty forgiving.

#129 1 year ago
    Quoted from koji:

Really comes down to set up...
    All things being equal tho, I have found fathom to be pretty forgiving.

Good to know. I really like the theme of fathom out of most of the bally pins from that era but I have not played one. About the only ones I remember playing as a kid were Paragon and Centaur....the rest were mostly Williams and a couple Sterns. Never owned a Bally but really like the look/build style over others of this era...

#130 1 year ago

I play road kings more than taxi and pinbot combined. It's one of those games that the more you play it, the better it gets. LOVE that game.

#131 1 year ago

Hoops

#132 1 year ago

I mean, if you have the money and some patience, you could probably find a nice one. But, I don't know if this is the game that I would suggest to someone to purchase before suggesting 20 other classic titles that have great replay value for less than half the price of a Hoops. It's an expensive game these days. It would be like suggesting he buy a Defender. Much better suggestions than that game.

Ultimately, the best SS games to own is the one that he can find, afford, and likes the best.

#133 1 year ago
    Quoted from DK:

So what are you getting OP?

A decision hasn’t been made yet. Unfortunately I havent played all the games, thus my search for others opinions on why they like a particular game of that era. My gf tells me its down to a couple of Zac games that might be hard to find, Sea Witch, Swords of Fury and Laser Cue. The last two are on location nearby so I dont see any reason to own. Sea Witch would be nice and Zac games are usually in pretty decent condition. I still want to try Big Game, Centaur, Firepower and Black Hole among a few others. Really just need to go to a few shows and museums to find some of these games “in the wild” so to speak. But, if the gf wants a specific game in mind, that might trump my wants. I mean, where else am I going to find a gal that loves pinball as much as I do?

#134 1 year ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I mean, if you have the money and some patience, you could probably find a nice one. But, I don't know if this is the game that I would suggest to someone to purchase before suggesting 20 other classic titles that have great replay value for less than half the price of a Hoops. It's an expensive game these days. It would be like suggesting he buy a Defender. Much better suggestions than that game.
    Ultimately, the best SS games to own is the one that he can find, afford, and likes the best.

I dont even know this game. Have to look it up. You aren’t wrong about finding a game I like and can afford. But, Im willing to make road trips within 10hrs, so its not too hard to find games within reach. Plus there is no rush. When the right game comes up, we will know it. Hopefully, lol

#135 1 year ago

I have no experience with Zacs but i’ve owned FP twice and tbh i wish i still did. The sounds are very nostalgic to me as an 80’s kid.

#136 1 year ago
    Quoted from Completist:

I have no experience with Zacs but i’ve owned FP twice and tbh i wish i still did. The sounds are very nostalgic to me as an 80’s kid.

That’s a helluva game..trying to decide upon the best early ss is like choosing a favourite playmate of the month..

2 weeks later
    #137 1 year ago

Any thoughts on Wild Fyre? Never played it but looks interesting.

#138 1 year ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

Any thoughts on Wild Fyre? Never played it but looks interesting.

It’s okay. Beeps and boops are lame, but the shots are decently satisfying and has okay rules. If it’s a good price grab it up and try it for a while!

#139 1 year ago

I like it but the sounds are not great. It does have great spinner and bonus multiplier rules. Kind of has a jackpot shot if you get max bonus with 5x lit and go into the saucer for bonus collect… a 145K collect.

4 months later
    #140 1 year ago

Early Solid State 1979ish-1989ish

Genie, Star Racer, Black Hole, Rock, PinBot, Time-Machine, Hollywood Heat, Robot, Spectrum, Haunted House and TX-Sector...

#141 1 year ago

I'm fed up with people suggesting Spectrum is a good game worth owning. I can't even understand why anyone who likes pinball would want to own, or why anyone even enjoys playing that game.

#142 1 year ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I'm fed up with people suggesting Spectrum is a good game worth owning...

Fair enough... I have to admit it's not the best game, I like the attract mode...

#143 1 year ago

having burned through nothing but early SS williams, gottliebs, zaccs and ballys. Heres my .02. avoid Zaccs, nothing but great art work to right home about but we re not buying pictures here.
    Bally have an 8 ball for the old man good game that draws people in. Don't see the allure to 8BD have owned 2, sold them because i got them cheap enough to move on.
    Space shuttle has made an appearance twice in my game room. the last one made it 2-3 years after i hard topped it. Great great game. Same goes with
    Time machine im on my second one, and about to let it go. Great game
    Sword of fury- regret every second of selling it
    Black knight- have owned 2 miss it
    Black hole or any Gottlieb: set them on fire. The biggest pain in the ass to keep running. With that said about to buy another one maybe i like Pain and frustration.
    Big guns on my second one, good game cool theme but easy to play/ learn
    Stern lightning: plays like black knight didn't do it for me
    DE HOOK with up dated code its a sleeper! great Pin for the money!
    BK2000: good fun game drooled over one for years got one and got bored with it
    DE Simpson got boring quick, loved the theme.
    Stern Family guy: great game my crews lounge at one of my bases had on on free play and this is what got me hooked. Spent hours on playing this

#144 1 year ago

If you were to ask me what SS pin is the best one to purchase, the answer would be the same as-if you would have asked me what is the greatest pin of all-time.

IT'S WITHOUT A DOUBT BALLY EIGHT BALL DELUXE!

All the rest are turds in comparison... even brand-new machines.

It's no mystery why EBD is the most sought-after title from the era and is one of the most wanted pins of all-time.

#145 1 year ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Very happy with these 3
    [quoted image]

That’s one sweet lineup!

#146 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Hmmm....looked it up but no machine i can find *shrug*

ALGAR KORA!!!!!! i.e. Lion da Man!!

#147 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

If you were to ask me what SS pin is the best one to purchase, the answer would be the same as-if you would have asked me what is the greatest pin of all-time.
    IT'S WITHOUT A DOUBT BALLY EIGHT BALL DELUXE!
    All the rest are turds in comparison... even brand-new machines.
    It's no mystery why EBD is the most sought-after title from the era and is one of the most wanted pins of all-time.

Except that dang backglass CHET!!! needs be gone. But EBD with a few others is da chit.

1 week later
    #148 1 year ago
    Quoted from Invictus:

Fair enough... I have to admit it's not the best game, I like the attract mode...

Hahaha.

#149 1 year ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

The biggest pain in the ass to keep running.

Took me so long to buy a gottlieb because people kept saying this. Once a gottlieb has been gone through properly, they are just as bulletproof as anything else.

There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-solid-state-game-to-own/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.