Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 149 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B088D987-C94B-4456-B0BA-01C5AEF8A23D (resized).jpeg
    C4F52DA4-749F-4349-9AD4-A41A0CD49DF5 (resized).jpeg
    E7DF7FE0-857F-49F8-86B6-7BB268934130 (resized).jpeg
    1659461651586572006675895353656 (resized).jpg

There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 1 year ago

I have a pretty wide range of games, stretching from the late 40’s to 2020. The only thing I am missing is a SS game from the late 70’s or 80’s. If you could only have one from this era, what game would you get and why? I enjoy a lot of games from this era but Im sure there are plenty I haven’t played or considered. Thank you in advance!

#2 1 year ago

Um....I mean thats a pretty big question with 100 answers.

Flash Gordon?

#3 1 year ago

Probably the no. 1 Era for pure pinball players.

You really need at least a few to get representation by the big players.

For me, I like a dash of less common, great art, good theme, and the classic Bally snowball bonus.

Ill go Viking.

#4 1 year ago

I’d shoot for one of the classic Stern Electronics pins from 1980 to 1981. Those are pins like Seawitch, Quicksilver, Catacomb, etc.

#5 1 year ago

meteor f2k sbm are ones i own / owned. great players .

flash is my favorite though. need to get another one.

#6 1 year ago

Eight Ball Deluxe is probably the most popular from that time.

#7 1 year ago

Dezz nuts.

#8 1 year ago

Lol, "Got em!"

But I'd say Space Shuttle is the essential answer that everyone seems to like these days.

#9 1 year ago

1. Black Knight
    2. Flash Gordon
    3. Paragon

Fight me.

#11 1 year ago

Stars

#12 1 year ago

Gottlieb:
    Joker Poker

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Gottlieb:
    Joker Poker

Alien Star

#14 1 year ago

Laser Ball- All day, every day.

#15 1 year ago

Big game
    Genie

#16 1 year ago

Black Hole
    KISS
    Black Knight

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

Eight Ball Deluxe is probably the most popular from that time.

If I'm gonna pick one this is it. Would kill for a spinner but arguably an almost perfect game. Hard to beat it for a pure shooters game.

#18 1 year ago

If I had to pick just one solid state game to own, it would be Cyclopes. Others that I would prefer to keep would be Eight Ball Deluxe, Joker Poker, Quicksilver, Seawitch, Frontier, and Star Gazer. I just keep Fathom and Viking around to look at.

#19 1 year ago

This is arguably the best era for pinball. There are so many great titles to choose from. Eight Ball Deluxe is a great layout and rule set, but has only mediocre art. Paragon is the whole package.

#20 1 year ago

Lots of good options my personal favorite is flight 2000. Fast for a wide body, challenging to get multi ball, great lower right spinner shot, makes good use of all the targets etc. Good all around and very playable.

But I also really like Flash Gordon & Sorcerer.

#22 1 year ago

Jungle Lord.

#23 1 year ago

These ones are pretty good. With the exception of Captain Fantastic. Sorry room is kind of messy, working on a playfield of Mr and Mrs Pacman.

1659461651586572006675895353656 (resized).jpg1659461651586572006675895353656 (resized).jpg
    #24 1 year ago

A cheap fun underrated game is Laser Cue. Alien Poker is almost the same layout, but I prefer LC.

Flash Gordon is a step up in price but is one of my favs from the era.

Joker Poker is really great and can be had for a good price. Still has the chimes

#25 1 year ago

Yes indeed, Big Game is the one!

#26 1 year ago

Eight Ball Deluxe

I also agree with several of the previous recs: Sorcerer, Joker Poker, Seawitch, Big Game...

#27 1 year ago

Future Spa gets my vote believe it or not. They are relatively inexpensive, 6,400 built, excellent backglass art, brutal lower popbumper and outlanes, inline drop targets, a couple of orbit spinners and it’s just a super fun and challenging shooter while trying to keep the ball in play. I keep finding myself hard to walk away from after playing.

#28 1 year ago

The correct answer is Nine Ball overall.

But… best bang for your buck is Big Game!

Then Flash Gordon for Bally and Alien Star for Gottlieb.

Honorable mentions to TNA and the Beatles if you want a mix of new and old.

#29 1 year ago

eightball deluxe, flash gordon, paragon, an one of my favorite embryon. i have 3 of these and like for different reasons.

#30 1 year ago

black hole

#31 1 year ago

Meteor, Star Race, Embryon, Centaur, Joker Poker, Eight Ball Deluxe, Frontier, Sorcerer...plus about a 1,000 others.

#32 1 year ago

I really think Jungle Lord is the best. Tons of great ways to score, excellent sounds for the era. Very exciting when the machine heats up too. Gets very intense.

#33 1 year ago

Taxi

#34 1 year ago

I’ll throw my vote behind Firepower.

#35 1 year ago

Well I expected nothing less than a million answers and I have not disappointed and I thank you. I have to try Big Game, Future Spa, Jungle Lord, Black Hole and a few others. Fortunately I have games like Stars, Taxi, Flash Gordon, Laser Cue and Paragon on location locally and they are great. No sense in having one at home when I can play them and support local businesses. I would get a Big Guns, but it wont fit in my basement due to ceiling height. From what it sounds like, I really cant go wrong. Maybe my question should have been what games to avoid?

#36 1 year ago

I think all these replies prove the point OP should go out and play a bunch and see what stands out!

Maybe a batter topic would be which solid states to avoid. I’ll start with Silverball Mania and Stern’s imaginatively titled “Pinball” aka “somebody will eventually convert me into a Star Gazer or Quicksilver”

#37 1 year ago

Any of these or all lol. Big game, qs nine ball, catacomb, fathom, joker poker or star gazer.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I think all these replies prove the point OP should go out and play a bunch and see what stands out!
    Maybe a batter topic would be which solid states to avoid. I’ll start with Silverball Mania and Stern’s imaginatively titled “Pinball” aka “somebody will eventually convert me into a Star Gazer or Quicksilver”

Oh I have played many of these and really enjoy them. But there are games I havent played and this gives me a list to try and find. Silverball Mania isn’t terrible, but not a game Im looking to get. I guess that is why its in your games to avoid list.

Im honestly surprised by all the love Flash Gordon gets, but I do enjoy it myself. It kicks my ass though on a regular basis. But its on location locally, so no reason to own. I am realizing that I should have asked what games to avoid.

#39 1 year ago

I would avoid the following:

Laser Ball
    Vector
    Space invaders
    Viper
    Nitro ground shaker
    Spy hunter
    Gold ball

#40 1 year ago

Very happy with these 3

E7DF7FE0-857F-49F8-86B6-7BB268934130 (resized).jpegE7DF7FE0-857F-49F8-86B6-7BB268934130 (resized).jpeg
    #41 1 year ago

Centaur

#42 1 year ago

If only 1? Black Hole. It's loaded from widebody to drop targets to multi-ball and it's difficult in a good way, fun & interesting to play but not easy to master. Keeps you coming back + it's looks are like no other.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

...Silverball Mania isn’t terrible..

Agree to disagree

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Agree to disagree

Lol, you and everyone else. Im not saying its a good game, just not terrible. Nobody likes DE TMNT and I really like it, so I guess I just need to collect all the misfit pins.

#46 1 year ago

I own a Barracora and love it. has a 2 ball and a 3 ball multiball. Good set of a rules and is a rarer game in the world it seems since Ive owned one, only found one place besides me to have it. Still ranked high in the list as well on here through the test of time.

#47 1 year ago

Jungle Lord!!
    Firepower and EBD are rock solid

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from Conrad:

I own a Barracora and love it. has a 2 ball and a 3 ball multiball. Good set of a rules and is a rarer game in the world it seems since Ive owned one, only found one place besides me to have it. Still ranked high in the list as well on here through the test of time.

That is a good game I totally forgot about. Havent seen one in years.

#49 1 year ago

Skateball is one of my favorites. Fantastic artwork and sounds, four flippers, tons of drop targets, a nice ruleset, and some satisfing shots to hit (the right scoop, spinner, and left orbit.). Plus unique inlane/oultanes which allow you the potential to save it from the outlane with careful nudging.

#50 1 year ago

MOTHERFUCKIN LIONMAN

There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-solid-state-game-to-own and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.