2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I have a Hakko 936 soldering station with a 907 soldering iron. What is the best type of tip to use for PCB work? Anyone got a good source/site for buying these?

#2 2 years ago

I much prefer a chisel tip over pointy ones for thermal reasons. I think people overall use too small of tips. Solder only wants to stick the copper / solder pads, so pinpoint accuracy is not as needed as you think.

Irons seem to come with pointy ones too. I would get two different sizes of chisel and see what you like. Some people even like the angled chisel, i like the ones that kinda look like a flat heat screw driver.

#3 2 years ago

I agree on the chisel tip, the conical ones are worthless.

I typically use chisel tips in the following sizes: .0625", .125" and .187". The smallest tip is for IC's (it won't bridge the gap between leads) and small transistors. The next tip is for larger (driver) transistors and the last is for bridge rectifiers and under-playfield work.

#4 2 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Anyone have favorite source for buying this sort of stuff?

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

I agree on the chisel tip, the conical ones are worthless.
    I typically use chisel tips in the following sizes: .0625", .125" and .187". The smallest tip is for IC's (it won't bridge the gap between leads) and small transistors. The next tip is for larger (driver) transistors and the last is for bridge rectifiers and under-playfield work.

I find with my hakko that i need to nearly lay it on its side to solder with it. I thought that is how you were supposed to use the conical tips that way. I must say I prefer the chisel tip of my old weller but not gotten around to replacing the tip on the hakko.

#6 2 years ago

i get my hakko tips from http://www.bdent.com/

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

I find with my hakko that i need to nearly lay it on its side to solder with it. I thought that is how you were supposed to use the conical tips that way.

Correct. With a conical tip you have to be almost parallel to the board in order to maximize the contact area. That's a difficult angle to be working at while trying not to burn other components. Bottom line you'll get much more contact area, with less effort, out of a chisel tip.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 17.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Led
    Geeteoh Electronics
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 430.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 17.00
    $ 60.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 149.00
    $ 159.00
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 159.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside