(Topic ID: 314278)

Best soldering kit less than $50

By Parkshow30

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Desoldering Tool (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Parkshow30.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

What’s the current best soldering kit setup for under $50? I know these threads have been made before but with everything having gone up recently some recommendations for last year aren’t as relevant. Just replacing a cheap iron that is worn out and would like something a little better that will last.
    Thanks

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I don't think that is temperature controlled. You can set the temp, but there's no circuitry to help maintain it. Plus I don't know if it's ESD safe.
    By no means knocking it, it's probably better than some of mine! Just wanted to point that out to the OP. Home Depot actually has a decent price on it too.[quoted image]

That’s a good price and I need to hit up Home Depot for some grass seed on my way home from work one day this week. Thanks for the tip!

#8 1 year ago

Hopefully I won’t need to know if it works well for awhile. Just repaired my Judge Dredd and my old iron wouldn’t hack it, had to borrow my Dads which looks very similar to that one and it worked great. All my games are in good working order for now…

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

I have a Aoyue 937+ station I’m not using, yours for cost of shipping.

Wow that’s super generous of you. I’ll send you a PM

2 weeks later
    #18 1 year ago

Radium sent me the soldering station and less than a week after I got it I needed to try it out. Tonight my upper right flipper on Judge Dredd wouldn’t hold up. Lifted the playfield and one of the wires on the flipper coil had become completely detached. Fired up the new soldering station, it got hot real quick, and had the wire back on in seconds. Flipper works perfect and had a great game right after that getting to Ultimate Challenge again.

Since this is my first temperature controlled soldering station, what are some recommended temps to use? Would it be the same for soldering a wire on a lug as it would be for replacing a transistor on the board? Also, I’m guessing the reading is in Celsius as the starting temp was 200 when I turned it on and it went up to 480? Can’t remember what the top was.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

If this if your first soldering station I would also recommend picking up a tip cleaner. I prefer them over sponges
    amazon.com link »

First temp controlled soldering station. I’ve been using soldering irons for a long time, they were always just the basic on or off type. I usually used the sponge that came with them, I will have to check this type out never seen it before.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Parkshow30.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-soldering-kit-less-than-50?tu=Parkshow30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.