Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 132 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Kneissl
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

81JDIQmnveL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    hakko 888 (resized).jpg
    wt1011h (resized).jpg
    1489497462041-278606254 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5427 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    kraft squeez cheese (resized).jpg
    weller wmrp (resized).jpg
    weller wd2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1006 (resized).JPG
    14238223_10207088921729952_3585406994742333485_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_20160912_240301617 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    1172-03 (resized).jpg
    2016-09-10 20.01.18 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #10 What not to buy. Posted by Pecos (7 years ago)

Post #96 Advice on using poor quality soldering equipment. Posted by terryb (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tickerguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 7 years ago

I am a fan of the Weller digital station; I have a WESD51 and like it a great deal. It heats up extremely fast and the temperature is both accurate and stable. The tips are interchangeable so you can have several for different purposes; I like a small, fine-point tip for board work, but something materially larger for soldering coil lugs and similar. The iron cord is a silicone material and resistant to heat damage (which does happen due to accidents) and finally the pencil is replaceable at a reasonable cost (about $40) if you DO damage it (or the heater burns out.)

#25 7 years ago

I had a digital Radio Shack one for a long time and it worked perfectly well for many years, BUT the cord fell apart (literally) on the iron and they had changed the model -- so no more replacement irons!

The reason you buy the Weller or similar is because the pencil portion IS a consumable; the heater will eventually fail, and if it doesn't the CORD will fail. When it does you can either buy a $30 replacement or you can buy a new $100+ soldering station. Which do you prefer?

#67 7 years ago

I tend to run hotter but it's a technique thing -- the intent of hotter is to be on the device for a shorter amount of time, thus less heat transfer to whatever is being soldered, but it only works if you ARE on for a shorter amount of time!

#75 7 years ago

Yeah, you can use darn near anything for coil lugs and such (e.g. playfield wiring) with good results. The trick there is to have a larger tip as you need to transfer more heat quickly, and have the room.

For board work -- especially board work on newer boards (e.g. WPC) a fine tip and heat control is important. For *really* fine board work or anything where surface-mount components are involved nothing beats a hot-air station if you'd like to accomplish the job without destroying things (yes, I have one.)

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

Very cool. Can you reflow solder on things like header pins with a hot air gun?

Yes, easily. I use it to do things like replace the tiny little switches on cellphones (which fail all the time, and are a buck or two -- but changing them is very precise work, and without a hot air station you can forget about it.)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tickerguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-soldering-irons?tu=tickerguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.