Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 132 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Kneissl
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

81JDIQmnveL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    hakko 888 (resized).jpg
    wt1011h (resized).jpg
    1489497462041-278606254 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5427 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    kraft squeez cheese (resized).jpg
    weller wmrp (resized).jpg
    weller wd2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1006 (resized).JPG
    14238223_10207088921729952_3585406994742333485_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_20160912_240301617 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    1172-03 (resized).jpg
    2016-09-10 20.01.18 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #10 What not to buy. Posted by Pecos (7 years ago)

Post #96 Advice on using poor quality soldering equipment. Posted by terryb (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnwartjr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 7 years ago

There are lots of choices.

Weller and Hakko have excellent low end stations that will do everything a lot of collectors use.

Weller and Hakko have higher end stations, but they are not often discussed.

I use JBC.

Metcal and Pace make great quality stations as well.

Pick your poison. The fact that we are having a ford vs chevy argument about what is best kinda cracks me up.

I spent a grand on my last desoldering station. That's not gonna get me into heaven over anyone else, and doesn't mean I turn out better work than anyone else. But it does mean that I use my desoldering station enough that I justified buying the one I wanted - and haven't looked back!

My impact wrench - which I use on my cars, which is my hobby, was $85 at Menards. I use $25 sets of harbor freight impact sockets. My mechanic spent $500+ on his. I use mine a couple hours a week on a good week. He uses his all day.

A professional chef has better knives than I do as well.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

This is going to cost the same no matter where you buy it.
    amazon.com link »

$305 for a good soldering station isn't unreasonable at all if you use it enough to justify the expense.

#56 7 years ago

This is how I hold header pins while soldering them in place.

Tack the outside pins, remove clip and solder inside pins, then resolder outside pins

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from V4Vendetta:

It does play big part in industrial setting where workers solder all day. Leaving the iron on is the worst thing you can do to the iron tip. If you just leave the iron at the operating temp and let it sit, that drastically reduces the lifespan of the tip hence the company has to replace tips more often. JBC stations heat up in about 4 seconds and cools down to hybernate mode in few seconds. This will save a company alot of money. This is why all the top companies like JBC,Metcal,Pace,Hakko,etc will advertise about short heatup/cooldown time.

I started doing board repairs with 2 WES51 stations, with 2 different sized tips. It worked, but my bench was crowded. The time invited to shut an iron down, wait for it to cool, and change the tips was significant. So I used 2. And tips lasted about a month. Not that they were all that expensive. It worked.

With JBC, I have 2 tips that primarily do what I need. I can change them as I use them. No need to wait, one slides out and the other slides in. They heat up by the time I need to touch the board. I have other specialty tips for things like drag soldering. The tips last over a year. I cut my soldering footprint in half. The tips are about $50 when ordering them - which is reasonable considering how long they last - but once I identified what tips I use, I started buying from eBay and since they last so long, I can hold out for deals. Haven't paid over $20 a tip since.

Now, I use my soldering iron for about 4 hours a day and can justify the expense to myself. It isn't for everyone, but I really like it!

And, I paid $200 shipped for my JBC on eBay, gently used. Later this year, I intend to buy a new one and relegate the current one to backup.

I still use the WES51s for playfield work.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnwartjr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-soldering-irons?tu=johnwartjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.