2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by balt
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 21 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

hakko 888 (resized).jpg
    wt1011h (resized).jpg
    1489497462041-278606254 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5427 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    kraft squeez cheese (resized).jpg
    weller wmrp (resized).jpg
    weller wd2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1006 (resized).JPG
    14238223_10207088921729952_3585406994742333485_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_20160912_240301617 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    1172-03 (resized).jpg
    2016-09-10 20.01.18 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 2 years ago

Liking this one a lot

image (resized).png

1 month later
    #102 2 years ago

I stopped by the US headquarters for JBC yesterday and picked up a new station to replace my dead JBC AD2700. They were super helpful and let me test out my hand piece on another station to see if it had issues or if it was my AD2700. After troubleshooting everything we made a deal on a new unit, an extra hand piece and some tips, and they took my broken unit in on trade. Very happy. They mentioned that they will be offering 10% off for black friday on their website.

IMG_5427 (resized).JPG

1 month later
    #103 2 years ago

Got my xmas money to replace my Radio Shack iron, and moderately sold on Hakko. My question is, is it worth stepping up to the 951 from the 888 for the extra 150$?

3 weeks later
    #104 2 years ago

Love my FX-888. It's more than I need but does a great job.

1 week later
    #105 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Love my FX-888. It's more than I need but does a great job.

This. Does what any amateur will need. Goes from zero to 750 in 30 secs - holds heat, not sure what more people would need

#106 2 years ago

I use been using pace exclusively for about 15 years. I have two MBT250, a prc2000 and two PPS25a. The recovery time on their irons is amazing. I bought my first MBT250 retail price but the second one I picked up on ebay for next to nothing because the seller thought it was broke. It was from a manufacturing environment and they had the settings locked. Its simple to unlock them, just requires removing the cover.
    Pace is made in Laurel, MD....about an hour from me. I prefer to support local business.

#107 2 years ago

i have a Tenma 21-11405. It seems to work very well, at least to my non expert self. It seems that it has been replaced by another model now.

1 month later
    #111 2 years ago

This depending on what Project you will work..For me weller is top class or also hakko. Soldering stations or Soldering iron with adjustable temperature is good for making more projects. You can see this from Hakko https://www.hakkousa.com/products/soldering/hakko-fx-888d-digital-soldering-station-10143.html
    or if you need a good soldering iron for good price you can see this Soldering iron kit form Sywon http://fanyit.com/review/electric-soldering-iron-kit-with-adjustable-temperature/ i have this one and i'm satisfied
    or somthing proffesional from Weller http://www.weller.de/de/Weller--Produkte--Produkt-Details.html?article_id=D0268797001454428828A279#{"string":"","current_site":"weller","current_brand":"Weller"} but the price is very very big

#112 2 years ago

HAKKO 888D. I solder daily for a living. I've used many different models of Weller and Pace also. I like my HAKKO best.

1489497462041-278606254 (resized).jpg

#113 2 years ago
    Quoted from Scribbles:

HAKKO 888D. I solder daily for a living. I've used many different models of Weller and Pace also. I like my HAKKO best.

Have the same Hakko fx-888 D, it is the best!

#114 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

Have the same Hakko fx-888 D, it is the best!

Plus 1...gotta love my fx

#115 2 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

That's just not true. Yes an experienced solderer could do basic board repairs with a 20 year-old Weller iron with a rusted tip, but they wouldn't.

People constantly bring me boards they want repaired. I use an iron that I got from radioshack in a going out of business for $3. I'm not saying it isn't awesome to have a quality setup, it just isn't critical.

Quoted from terryb:

good soldering equipment won't make up for bad technique. See the following.

#116 2 years ago

I have a nice bench setup, but I want a good simple wand for under the PF soldering of coil lugs. I have a couple shitty wand irons that can't keep the heat up when doing big stuff like a coil lug so I end up moving a soldering station out of the shop work on in a game. Some times i even use a soldering gun. click click 850f

Anyone got a good link to one? I like Hakko gear but open.

#117 2 years ago

I got the Hakko FX600 a few months ago and it has worked well for both board work and the few coils and switches I had to replace. It heats up quickly and seems to hold temp well. If you are mainly doing larger work there is the FX601. They both use standard Hakko tips, the 600 uses T18 and the 601 uses T19, so you might already have extra tips around.

#118 2 years ago

I haven't use a soldering iron for a few years now. I always use the JBC 2700 solder station on everything I do, even under the playfield. The small inconvenience needed to set it up under a playfield is overcome by the instant and consistent heat it produces. Can't say enough great things about this station. I even take it on service calls now for the same reasons.

#119 2 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

I got the Hakko FX600 a few months ago and it has worked well for both board work and the few coils and switches I had to replace. It heats up quickly and seems to hold temp well. If you are mainly doing larger work there is the FX601. They both use standard Hakko tips, the 600 uses T18 and the 601 uses T19, so you might already have extra tips around.

Both of those work great and have better recovery times than a fixed wattage iron.

#120 2 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I have a couple shitty wand irons that can't keep the heat up when doing big stuff like a coil lug

Hey Andrew check out hakko fx601. Seems to work great for large thermal loads.

Around 50$ if I remember.

7 months later
    #121 1 year ago

I'm looking into buying a much better iron than I have - here is link to info and vids on Hakko FX600 vs FX601. Looks like FX601 is better suited for under playfield work:

https://www.hakko.com/english/products/feature/fx600_601/

#122 1 year ago

What the pros use ...

wt1011h (resized).jpg

#123 1 year ago

The only reason you need higher heat is for soldering to lamp bases. 700°F(370°C) is the most you should ever need to utilize. 650°F is what I set my station at for most EM stuff. Definitely no hotter than that for lead solder circuit board work.

The 601 is really too much heat for most of your needs in a pinball machine.

The 600 says it will go to 500°C which is equal to 930°F which will still do all you need.

Me, I use an older JBC 2700 which you will find from time to time on ebay for less than $200 US. It provides instant heat and provides the best heat transfer of any station I've ever used. Definitely professional grade.

#124 1 year ago
    Quoted from spinal:

I'm looking into buying a much better iron than I have - here is link to info and vids on Hakko FX600 vs FX601. Looks like FX601 is better suited for under playfield work:
    https://www.hakko.com/english/products/feature/fx600_601/

I have the FX600 and it has had no problem doing anything from flipper coils to board work, all I do is change the tip to something of appropriate size. The 600 is around $40 and the 601 seems to be around $75. At $75 I would probably just have bought the FX888 station. I had a standard craftsman 45 watt before this and it is a great upgrade.

amazon.com link »

#127 1 year ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

The only reason you need higher heat is for soldering to lamp bases. 700°F(370°C) is the most you should ever need to utilize. 650°F is what I set my station at for most EM stuff. Definitely no hotter than that for lead solder circuit board work.
    The 601 is really too much heat for most of your needs in a pinball machine.
    The 600 says it will go to 500°C which is equal to 930°F which will still do all you need.
    Me, I use an older JBC 2700 which you will find from time to time on ebay for less than $200 US. It provides instant heat and provides the best heat transfer of any station I've ever used. Definitely professional grade.

Quoted from latenite04:

I have the FX600 and it has had no problem doing anything from flipper coils to board work, all I do is change the tip to something of appropriate size. The 600 is around $40 and the 601 seems to be around $75. At $75 I would probably just have bought the FX888 station. I had a standard craftsman 45 watt before this and it is a great upgrade.
    amazon.com link »

The Hakko fx601 ($64 CDN) has a temperature setting at around 650°F, comes with the tip I want (that I would have to buy extra anyway and they are not cheap) and the price is only $10 CDN more than fx600 so just went for that: amazon.com link »

So far just doing under playfield work so this should hold me for awhile - I'm learning that it takes some time to get a collection of decent tools appropriate for this hobby and the $549 US is a bit much for me right now given I'm just tinkering. This has to be better than the $10 CDN iron I have now that barely works!

9 months later
    #128 11 months ago

The blue and yellow color scheme of the Hakko FX-888D makes me nauseous, fortunately the blue is easy to repaint. I also considered the Weller W1010 but this video and the $30 lower price on Amazon helped me pick the Hakko.
    hakko 888 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 11,500.00
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Republic Of Pinball
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 142.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 499.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 625.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 9.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 26.50
    There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside