Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Bmad21
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

009-tokyo-perfect-drift (resized).jpg
    021-tokyo-perfect-drift (resized).jpg
    Scorpion (resized).png
    Mystic (resized).png

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

I only have room for a few pins and that's it. I have 3 pins with Ramps, bridges or a second level playfield. I also have a pair of EM's. I want to switch up the lineup but I want a single level game as I like variety but I want to get away from another EM. Tempted to grab a Gorgar but IMO the price is a bit much for the number of shots. Granted it's beautiful to look at but on a whole I think for the price I can do better but maybe I'm wrong!? I like Big Game but it's not easy to find and it's not exactly cheap either, which is ok, but I just don't see any in my area. What are some of the better single level games outside of the EM era?

#2 1 year ago

Well, it may be pricey (considering others you've mentioned), but #TNA is the "one to rule them all".

#3 1 year ago

#TNA might be a good game but I personally don't understand the price. To each their own of course but my entire lineup cost me half the price of a TNA and I own System 11 games, System 80b etc... Not saying my games are better mind you but I can buy a series of games for the price of a TNA. Appreciate the response but can't justify that one

#4 1 year ago

Centaur. Devils dare, fathom

#5 1 year ago

Absolutely a fair point! That title (like every other) has taken off in price since it was introduced, but it (#TNA) is truly AWESOME.

We love System 11s at our place!

Another great choice is Gottlieb's Joker Poker - not an EM, but still has chimes. It's beautiful, loaded with drop targets and a great ruleset.

Bang for the buck, SeaWitch is a screamer.

If you want something a few years newer, Barracora is incredible, but hard to find. Space Shuttle is easier to find, costs less and is always popular.

PinFever knows his stuff... a nod to Medusa if we are talking Bally titles.

#6 1 year ago

Eight ball deluxe!!

#7 1 year ago

Viking
    Harlem Globetrotters
    Hoops
    Bally Harley Davidson

But honestly, Viking is still supreme. I can’t stop playing it. Absolutely brutal yet I always go back for more. Similar to TNA but $6k less. Audio is great too!

#8 1 year ago

Breakshot

#9 1 year ago

Seawitch

#10 1 year ago

Stars

#11 1 year ago

Eight Ball Deluxe
    Stars
    Paragon

#13 1 year ago

Class of '81 Bally. Fathom, Medusa, Centaur and EBD are all great, though can be spendy.

#14 1 year ago

Hoops is the One Pin to rule them all!
    Breakshot is way up there
    Deadly Weapon (all 6 Gottlieb Street Levels are great)
    Seawitch

#15 1 year ago

Already seen some good suggestions, I won't repeat any of them, but I think if you're an EM fan but looking for something that's offering a little more while maybe being in that vibe an overlooked classic imo is Mystic.

Mystic (resized).pngMystic (resized).png

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

...Mystic.
    [quoted image]

Mystic is such a great game that I never seem to get any better at. Tough & great.

Frontier hasn't been mentioned so I can put that up.

#17 1 year ago

Centaur, Meteor, Firepower

Also recently discovered how good Stellar Wars is when fully working and calibrated well.

#18 1 year ago

TNA is AWESOME!!!

I have owned over 120 pins including most all top 50 games.

TNA is well worth the money and One of the most fun pins including all of them! (Single/Double/Whatever)

Looking at pics or YouTube vids doesn't do it justice.

#19 1 year ago

TNA by far. Definitely doesn't fit in the cheap single level pinball section, but I honestly don't think single level gets any better than that.

#20 1 year ago

My personal favorites in no particular order

Eight Ball Deluxe, Stars, Meteor, Star Gazer, The Beatles, Hoops, Quick Silver, Skateball, Flash, Viking, Harlem Globetrotters, Frontier, Hot Tip, Joker Poker, Sinbad, Gamatron/Flight-2k

#21 1 year ago

The light and sound package that is included with TNA is where the extra money goes, and it's worth it. It takes a simple rule set game and makes every shot feel like actual life or death. It's the only pin I've played that has raised my heart rate a noticeable amount while playing. Worth a sell off of 2-3 solid state single level games, imo.

I really hope we get some more single level games that can do anything close to what TNA accomplishes.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Already seen some good suggestions, I won't repeat any of them, but I think if you're an EM fan but looking for something that's offering a little more while maybe being in that vibe an overlooked classic imo is Mystic.
    [quoted image]

I wouldn’t mind picking one of those up.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

I wouldn’t mind picking one of those up.

I had a clean one, but space makes games not last. It's a simple premise, but sniping drop targets always a good time. Helps that it's a gorgeous game, just has good vibes.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from splattii:

Tempted to grab a Gorgar but IMO the price is a bit much for the number of shots.

When new games come out, I often look at the shots and see how many unique ones there are. Probably why I like KME games so much.

Gorgar may not look like it has a bunch of shots, because there aren't a lot of ball guides which separate shots. However, it makes up for that with a bit more chaos with the exposed pops due to said lack of ball guides. Then add in the fact the quickest way to get points (1-2-3-4-Pit), requires low side-to-side shots adds in more chaos, and you're constantly on your toes. No safe orbits or shots returning to flippers.

Then you have a better-than-average (for the era) rules set which allows you to attack the score many different ways (1-2-3-4-Pit, GOR-GAR, Spam the left 10K-15K eject, light spinner, build bonus plus A-B-C...etc.). Between the drops, the standups, the spinner, the saucer, and the Pit, and you're still required to hit dedicated shots skillfully. Don't let the lack of ball guides fool you.

In regards to the price point, it should be able to be found under $2K and it has a ton of replayability. Only early SS to remain in my collection.

That's my Gorgar love letter for today.

#25 1 year ago

I like many of the aforementioned, so I'll just add Sorcerer to the list.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from Evets:

I like many of the aforementioned, so I'll just add Sorcerer to the list.

You shouldn't, cause it's got a big ole ramp!

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

When new games come out, I often look at the shots and see how many unique ones there are. Probably why I like KME games so much.
    Gorgar may not look like it has a bunch of shots, because there aren't a lot of ball guides which separate shots. However, it makes up for that with a bit more chaos with the exposed pops due to said lack of ball guides. Then add in the fact the quickest way to get points (1-2-3-4-Pit), requires low side-to-side shots adds in more chaos, and you're constantly on your toes. No safe orbits or shots returning to flippers.
    Then you have a better-than-average (for the era) rules set which allows you to attack the score many different ways (1-2-3-4-Pit, GOR-GAR, Spam the left 10K-15K eject, light spinner, build bonus plus A-B-C...etc.). Between the drops, the standups, the spinner, the saucer, and the Pit, and you're still required to hit dedicated shots skillfully. Don't let the lack of ball guides fool you.
    In regards to the price point, it should be able to be found under $2K and it has a ton of replayability. Only early SS to remain in my collection.
    That's my Gorgar love letter for today.

I think the smartest rule on Gorgar is how it turns the spinner on and then off after a certain amount of bonus advancements. So you don't prioritize it the whole time, except for when it is worth going for. And when it's lit you may actually want to avoid advancing the bonus.

#28 1 year ago

Does Black Hole count with the lower playfield? I haven't played one in years but man I remember loving it. Really cool for it's time, classic sound effects.

#29 1 year ago

Good suggestions so far.
    If you are looking for something more on the affordable side, things like Stars, Meteor, Flight 2000, Paragon, or Eight Ball would be worth a try.

You mention that you have some EMs, but do you have an El Dorado or a Fireball? Those two are a whole different level of fun.

#30 1 year ago

Air Aces, Volcano or Gladiator...

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

Good suggestions so far.
    If you are looking for something more on the affordable side, things like Stars, Meteor, Flight 2000, Paragon, or Eight Ball would be worth a try.
    You mention that you have some EMs, but do you have an El Dorado or a Fireball? Those two are a whole different level of fun.

Oh man I forgot about Eight Ball.

It's really 2 games in 1 if you buy a Ceramic ball and have a steel ball. Shoots completely differently. I swear I spent the most time at Pinfest 2021 playing Eight Ball with the steel ball swapped for a "Power Ball".

#32 1 year ago

Trident. Especially with the Arduino mod

#33 1 year ago

#34 1 year ago

Want a cheap single level game? Find a cheap classic Stern, I'm not talking Stars and Seawitch, but like one of the overlooked ones- Stingray, Lectronomo, even Big Games are still relatively cheap and super rewarding to hit drop targets and rip spinners all day.

#35 1 year ago

My $.02:
    Centaur
    TNA
    Paragon
    Big Game
    Cheetah
    Quicksilver
    TRI-ZONE is also criminally underrated IMO, and can still be had for super cheap. Get it before this secret spreads!
    Embryon is awesome too- it's essentially Paragon on steroids. So much to shoot for!

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from somenerd:

Embryon is awesome too- it's essentially Paragon on steroids. So much to shoot for!

Besides being wide, the game essentially has almost nothing in common with Paragon.

And paragon is Harlem Globetrotters on steroids. And steroids suck and are bad for you.

harlem is better!

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Besides being wide, the game essentially has almost nothing in common with Paragon.
    And paragon is Harlem Globetrotters on steroids. And steroids suck and are bad for you.
    harlem is better!

I have a Harlem but haven’t had a chance to play a Paragon. What do you like about Harlem over Paragon?

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from thekaiser82:

I have a Harlem but haven’t had a chance to play a Paragon. What do you like about Harlem over Paragon?

I have a bias against these megawide body games. They play slow, clunky, and tend to have a lot of stuff crammed in to justify making a widebody during the brief widebody fad. Harlem is a lot like Paragon without all the extra space jammed in. I mean who really likes the "Beast" area, or the waterfall on the right? Or the double holes up top?

Harlem is all killer, no filler, and just works better for me. Every inch of the playfield is packed with fun, not a bunch of shit I don't want or need, and of course it plays faster, leaner and meaner.

Whenever you compare widebody games with narrow body games of similar layout, the norms are always better, in some cases by a huge degree. Thinking - Jungle Queen/Rollerdisco, Space Mission/Contact, Harlem/Paragon, starlight/Laser Ball, etc.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I have a bias against these megawide body games. They play slow, clunky, and tend to have a lot of stuff crammed in to justify making a widebody during the brief widebody fad. Harlem is a lot like Paragon without all the extra space jammed in. I mean who really likes the "Beast" area, or the waterfall on the right? Or the double holes up top?
    Harlem is all killer, no filler, and just works better for me. Every inch of the playfield is packed with fun, not a bunch of shit I don't want or need, and of course it plays faster, leaner and meaner.
    Whenever you compare widebody games with narrow body games of similar layout, the norms are always better, in some cases by a huge degree. Thinking - Jungle Queen/Rollerdisco, Space Mission/Contact, Harlem/Paragon, starlight/Laser Ball, etc.

That makes a lot of sense. I agree with you there is a lot packed into a Harlem. I can’t imagine playing a game like Harlem but slow. Doesn’t seem like it would be as much fun. Will try to hunt one down. Maybe I can find one at TPF this year.

#40 1 year ago

I've never cared for Paragon either. Harlem has much more fun spinner ripping.

They're pretty similar in that you (typically) focus on going for the inline drops, then ripping the spinner. On Paragon the inlines are only bonus X. On Harlem they're bonus X and build up the value of the left spinner that leads to the valuable top hole. Paragon's only spinner advances the bonus. Harlem has two bonus advance spinners up the middle, in addition to the juicy left spinner. Harlem also has the fun little shot on the bottom right that's worth going for.

I like the idea of the Beast Lair on Paragon. It just needed some sort of cool rule to go with it. Like so many pop bumper hits could light a bonus collect at a saucer (or hell, even a special). The waterfall sucks. It sends the ball helplessly down the center quite often.

I kinda like Hotdoggin as a super floaty widebody, even if the sling shot flipper is stupid and the spinner doesn't rip. Futura Spa could be better if you could actually rip those spinners. I like the outlane Futura Spa bottom. It's a beautiful mess of "what do we do with all this extra space"

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I kinda like Hotdoggin as a super floaty widebody, even if the sling shot flipper is stupid and the spinner doesn't rip. Futura Spa could be better if you could actually rip those spinners. I like the outlane Futura Spa bottom. It's a beautiful mess of "what do we do with all this extra space"

Yep, again, Future Spa sucks because it's a widebody and the geometry for those spinners is awful. A "rip" on even a juiced spinner may net you 5,000 points. And of course, it suffers from the classic "It's a widebody? Add some drains!" syndrome.

There's a reason this fad was brief.

The 90s widebodies aren't as bad, as they are only a couple inches wider. For the most part, they don't "play" like those 70s beasts.

#42 1 year ago

Agree with so many previous suggestions.

Some widebody single level for discussion that have not been brought up here for entry might be Counterforce and Scorpion.

#43 1 year ago

Hard to beat Tag Team for multi-player games.
    Stars is great too.

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

In my defense, I have no defense.

#45 1 year ago

Bond 60!!!!!!!

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Love a nice set of Rig ol Bamps!

#47 1 year ago

I do think Gorgar is one of the better single level games, but I also would put Blackout on the list. There are a allot good shots, and reaching the blackout shot is always fun.

#48 1 year ago

Future Spa has the perfect fan layout.

If you cant shoot and nudge, your game is going to be very short

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dan1733:

Bond 60!!!!!!!

Careful!

#50 1 year ago

Barracora

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-single-level-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.