Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3428_(resized).JPG
IMG_3408_(resized).JPG
20150807_193414_(resized).jpg
19.jpg
2.jpg
33.jpg

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Don't understand why Atlantis is in your poll

Ahhh.... I put the wrong one in my list......dang it........I looked up the Bally '89 one. I knew something was wrong

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And multiball has been around since the 50s.

My point was SS games that came AFTER FP. That said I did allow a little wiggle room there. We all know multi ball has been around forever. But I wanted to look at just S games.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Perhaps changing the title to reflect 'Best non-multiball early solid state games' or just 'best non-multiball solid state games'.

Advice taken

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Why is Atlantis even in the poll?

TO throw you off

#55 8 years ago

And because it's my thread and I am allow to make mistakes...

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

My point was SS games that came AFTER FP. That said I did allow a little wiggle room there. We all know multi ball has been around forever. But I wanted to look at just S games.

Sorry man. But when you start a topic like this in the "all pinball" section, it can be confusing. Carry on....

#57 8 years ago

It's a cool subject to discuss. I prefer the single-ball early solid states to the multi-ball games from the same era generally. Many of the early solid states didn't have good rules associated with multi-ball play so they are just flail fests for a bit until you drain to one ball again. It's more the novelty of getting multi-ball than it is a scoring tactic. There are some exceptions that are great multi-ball games from this era such as Fathom and Barracora. I wasn't until the mid-eighties that multi-ball became an important part of obtaining big scores with jackpots (games like Space Shuttle, High Speed, Pin*Bot, etc).

#58 8 years ago

Dragonfist kicks so much ass - shame there were only 302 made.

#59 8 years ago

Somewhat related: what was the last single-ball pin made (excluding WNBJM)? "Car Hop" was 1991...

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Somewhat related: what was the last single-ball pin made (excluding WNBJM)?

Pretty sure it was Bad Cats

#61 8 years ago

I'm going to go with "Mystery Castle" as the last single-ball pin, Sept. 1993 (excluding WNBJM, too easy)

http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1647

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Somewhat related: what was the last single-ball pin made (excluding WNBJM)? "Car Hop" was 1991...

That would be New Canasta in 2009.

Although it was the last game with single ball play, it was the first game with:

LCD Monitor
All LED lighting
Color changing RGB LED lighting
No mechanical roll over switches (all switches detect the ball by magnets).
Completely Plexiglass playfield
All stainless steel shooter lane

33.jpg33.jpg

2.jpg2.jpg

19.jpg19.jpg

#63 8 years ago

Where's the love for Blackout???

I've been searching for a nice FG near me for almost 2 years now. Unobtainium. So I bought a Blackout recently & I've been pleasantly surprised! Great game, but still want a FG to go next to it

#64 8 years ago

Jeez...EBD or FG.

I love me some Medusa though

#65 8 years ago

Vid, solid state bingo pinballs have been including LCDs since at least 2003/2004. That along with multiple LED displays!

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Vid, solid state bingo pinballs have been including LCDs since at least 2003/2004. That along with multiple LED displays!

True.

Slot Machines too.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Sorry man. But when you start a topic like this in the "all pinball" section, it can be confusing. Carry on....

There is no good heading to put this under....I was just curious...

#68 8 years ago

Hands down: Cyclone.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

There is no good heading to put this under....I was just curious...

I realize that now. EM guys get their own department but nobody else does. Oh well, what can you do...

#70 8 years ago

Eight ball champ along with deluxe

#71 8 years ago

Blackout or Meteor... I like drop targets!

#72 8 years ago

I know Raven gets a lot of flak but IMO it is a great single ball game. It has random sniper drop targets, drop ramp, spinner, three banks of standups with roaming lights, four pops. The extra ball and specials are a challenge to get and it has a helicopter with spinning blades tied in with the spinner. Nothing better than ripping the lit spinner and watching the heli go crazy.

It also has a pretty good sound package.

If you haven't played Raven give it a try if you can find one.

#73 8 years ago

Eight Ball Champ and Future Spa!

#74 8 years ago

Put a PowerBall™ into a EBD (ie "mini" cue ball), raise the back legs up up as high as possible, and jack the game up on 2X4s.
The game then REALLY rocks, outlanes and center are deadly, and ball time is less than 15 seconds unless you are EXTREMELY good.
EBD at its finest.
A challenge for those players that say the game, "plays too slow".
Stop using the game like a woodrail, and "chalk up".
New players are going to HATE you though...

"Long live the artwork of Margaret Hudson."

PS You need to adjust/remove the tilt bob if you do this playstyle change, or you cannot play the game! (The angle approaches 11-12 degrees and you are going to need to use some "english" to keep the ball in play)

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Put a PowerBall™ into a EBD, raise the back legs up up as high as possible, and jack the game up on 2X4s.
The game then REALLY rocks, outlanes and center are deadly, and ball time is less than 15 seconds unless you are EXTREMELY good.
EBD at its finest.
"Long live the artwork of Margaret Hudson."

Sounds like fun!

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

raise the back legs up up as high as possible, and jack the game up on 2X4s.

This is why I put modern Stern legs on the back of my '80s games. Just too damn shallow unless you run 3" levelers up to the last thread.

As for the poll, I guess Star Gazer doesn't count since it's only six months after Firepower, but it's my favorite game of all time, early SS or otherwise.

2 weeks later
#77 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'm going to go with "Mystery Castle" as the last single-ball pin, Sept. 1993 (excluding WNBJM, too easy)
http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1647

MC has several multi-ball modes

#78 8 years ago

^^ Okay, weird - it's not mentioned in the flyer or instruction sheet. I wonder if there was ever a single-ball DMD?

1 week later
#79 8 years ago

Bad cats or Flash Gordon

#80 8 years ago

No Love For Galaxy or Quick Silver?

#81 8 years ago

Alien poker, EBD then flash gordon would be my top 3 for now

#82 8 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe, Flash Gordon, Genie, Meteor, Quicksilver, Bad Cats, Cyclone and Blackout.

#83 8 years ago

A single-ball 80's collection would be pretty awesome. I wonder how many games that would be?

3 weeks later
#84 8 years ago

Not necessarily one of my favorites, but I don't think I've seen Flash listed.

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Quicksilver
EBD
Star Gazer
Seawitch
Warlok

Remove the witch and you have your list right there. Its a toss up between those 4. He doesn't even have the complete list....come on...

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

A single-ball 80's collection would be pretty awesome. I wonder how many games that would be?

Here is my Bally 80's collection. All restored. My classic stern 80's is Gazer, Witch, Quicksilver, Galaxy. Should of never got rid of Big Game.

20150807_193414_(resized).jpg20150807_193414_(resized).jpg
IMG_3408_(resized).JPGIMG_3408_(resized).JPG
IMG_3428_(resized).JPGIMG_3428_(resized).JPG

#88 8 years ago

Nice collection...never seen a Frontier before....those outlanes look well protected.

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

...never seen a Frontier before...

It plays the sound of crickets in the background. There's a reason for that. ...I'm Kidding! But it really does play crickets for a background sound.

5 months later
#90 7 years ago

Superman

#91 7 years ago

Superman

#92 7 years ago

For now, my vote goes to Eight Ball Deluxe. Great game. I've never played a fully working Flash Gordon though...

A friend of mine has a super nice but non-working FG in his garage, which we're going to fix up. After we're finished, this may or may not bump EBD off the top spot.

#93 7 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe, Mata Hari

#94 7 years ago

Check out the fantastic rulesheet of William's Warlok !!!

#95 7 years ago

EBD
Flash Gordon
Stargazer
Quicksilver
Xenon

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

EBD
Flash Gordon
Stargazer
Quicksilver
Xenon

Xenon is multiball, but I like the rest of your list.

#97 7 years ago

EBD for the win!

#98 7 years ago

Haunted House! Multiple levels, plus the music and art is hard to beat in my opinion.

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Xenon is multiball, but I like the rest of your list.

Yes, my mistake, i replace it with Seawitch

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Haunted House! Multiple levels, plus the music and art is hard to beat in my opinion.

Literal depth

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-single-ball-games/page/2?hl=patentlaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.