Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2018-12-05 at 11.10.03 PM - Edited.png
    grillbot.jpg
    4DFC2FF3-C3A2-404D-9C32-04BCCC203EFA (resized).png
    Screenshot_20181205-120047 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20181205-120121 (resized).png
    cat-gifs-108-010.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

I have 4 pins on tile and 8 on carpet and was thinking about a robotic sweeper to get under all my pins and clean around the legs/etc.
    Do they work well doing this? Are the pricier ones smarter and able to do a better job of it?
    Love to hear some opinions on the best ones and the ones to avoid (probably the cheapest ones)...

Don't bother with any Roomba below the 800 series or almost all of the knockoff designs because they still use brushes. Cleaning the brushes SUCKS. The Roomba 800/900 and new E6/i7 series all have rubber rollers that require almost no maintenance and clean very well. Also, because they use the rubber rollers, cords aren't a problem on the newer Roombas while they are an issue on any robot vacuum with brushes, which is all roombas under 800 and most of the knockoffs.

We have the i7+ that empties itself and frankly it's dumber than the 960 we have in the back of the house, so for the price bump I can't recommend it, although the wi-fi strength mapping you can turn on in the app is informative about where the high and low spots are in your house for wifi. You should be able to get an 800 series one for $270-$300 on sale and a 900 series for around $425. Costco has the E6 now for $325, but I have no experience with that model. It should have rubber rollers.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Jeez, for $1000 or even $600, you could have someone come to your house (many times) and clean it for you...and not just vacuum.
    Robert

You can get a near top-of-the-line Roomba 800 series for about $300. No one is going to vacuum your house every day (it always surprising how much crap it pulls out of our carpet every single day - carpet is a DIRTY flooring choice) for less than $1, and that's just year one. They typically last at least 3 years on the original battery as long as you change the filters and do annual maintenance.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

I would only buy a Roomba at Costco as they only last about a year before going to hell so then I simply take it back and exchange for the latest model. If Costco doesn’t like it then stop selling Roomba devices.

You must be extremely hard on your Roombas or have been buying the crappy 500/600/700 models. We usually get about 3 years out of them before the battery has to be changed out (which is when we usually replace the battery then sell it to get a new one), but we change filters regularly and do maintenance as required.

#51 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Do you have a dog? I don't think any of the robotic vacuums have solved the problem of being able to detect and avoid poop. Watch out for that lovely mess smeared all over the place.

The sensor already exists, so it's just a matter of time until one of the vacuum robot manufacturers integrates it.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Seems like the most critical very first thing these things should have been taught to avoid. Id rather have it tumble down the stairs and explode than run over a pile of dog shit and spread it like a nuclear disaster

In the initial days you had to set the roomba down in the room you wanted to clean and manually start it, so you were generally aware if there was dog poop around. However, once they made models with unattended scheduled cleanings, the problems started in houses with non-house trained or accident-prone dogs. The existing sensor will fix this, it's just a matter of who implements it first.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

I have the next to top of the line roomba and it works great on tile for dog hair.

The E6 or i7 (no plus)?

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

The 960. It's not the carpet one, but does work pretty good on my area rugs.

The 960 is 4th from the top now. i7Plus->i7->980->960->E5/6.

That said, the i7 is nothing to lust after, at least not so far. It's much dumber than iRobot marketing wants you to believe. Just the tiniest of improvements over the 960 (though the i7 is MUCH quieter than both the 960 and the jet-engine 980).

1 year later
    #68 4 years ago

That's a garbage robot because it's knocking off the ancient Roomba tech that used brushes. They are a PAIN to clean. The newer Roombas use rubber cylinders and stronger suction instead of brushes. This requires WAY less maintenance and less failures.

Basically don't bother with any roomba or roomba knockoff that uses brushes. And if you are looking at a knockoff, make SURE it is UL listed. Lots of chinese junk isn't but look like respectable clones that will set your house on fire when you're away because of a battery short or some other quality issue.

You can get a Roomba 960 for about $300 now on sale. I'd look for that. You might THINK you want a 980 for the better suction, but it's an order of magnitude louder than the 960. We had both and we still have the 960 (and an i7+) but the 980 is long gone because of the noise. Stay FAR AWAY from the i7 and i7+. Roomba abandoned that terrible platform after less than a year and replaced it with the S series, but you still see the i7s on sale.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-roomba-for-carpet-tile-pin-room-sweeping?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.