Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2018-12-05 at 11.10.03 PM - Edited.png
    grillbot.jpg
    4DFC2FF3-C3A2-404D-9C32-04BCCC203EFA (resized).png
    Screenshot_20181205-120047 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20181205-120121 (resized).png
    cat-gifs-108-010.gif
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I have 4 pins on tile and 8 on carpet and was thinking about a robotic sweeper to get under all my pins and clean around the legs/etc.
    Do they work well doing this? Are the pricier ones smarter and able to do a better job of it?
    Love to hear some opinions on the best ones and the ones to avoid (probably the cheapest ones)...

#2 5 years ago

I’ve owned most of the major brands and it’s between Neato and roomba. I prefer Neato as it cleans in a predictable back and forth motion. The higher level units have virtual no go lines, and roomba now has a container that that empties the robot, but it’s expensive. For the longest time I thought they were overhyped BS, but now I have one on every level of my house, and one in my office. I run it daily so it doesn’t get that full, but my only complaint is typically the size of the canister.

I would check on what features you’re looking for online because the price range can be about $300-$900 depending on the model. Some features you may not need, and can save a few bucks. Most have roughly the same cleaning power, but the typical price increase is based on what features you get.

Good luck, you won’t regret it!

#3 5 years ago

My vote is on the Neato Connected also. Granted I thought it was the biggest waste of money ever before we bought it, that dam thing finds Every drop of dirt in the house. I have no idea how those lasers work but it works like no other model I have ever seen. To me the Romba is more of a pinball sweeper hoping to eventually find a spot. Expensive but hey, so are the machines its cleaning under lol.

#4 5 years ago

None! They all suck.
    Get a dyson and spend ten minutes a week doing it yourself.

#5 5 years ago

I bought a Roomba, it sucks. It never learns anything and when it does come across debris by chance, it fails to pick it up. Roomba is one of the biggest scams.

#6 5 years ago

I bought the latest greatest Roomba a few months ago. The canister filled up quickly, and it didn't seem to learn anything. More than half the time it couldn't find it's way back to the base and would die in a room. Took it back...

#7 5 years ago

I'm sorry to report that our experience with a Roomba (granted, 10 years ago) wasn't too good. It was INCREDIBLY loud, and would get caught in everything, stuck in rooms, bang into stuff, it was very frustrating. We had the most basic one, and I'm sure it's improved in recent years, but yeah, probably not doing that again.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

None! They all suck.
    Get a dyson and spend ten minutes a week doing it yourself.

I agree about Dyson. It pulls dirt up I never knew existed, my Kirby vacuum was not doing a very good job apparently.

#9 5 years ago

Probably won't buy one but was wondering how well they can navigate under/between/around pinball legs.
    I typically use the Bill Murray "CaddyShack" method to clean..(not really)

#10 5 years ago

Do you have a dog? I don't think any of the robotic vacuums have solved the problem of being able to detect and avoid poop. Watch out for that lovely mess smeared all over the place.

#11 5 years ago

Neat technology, but how hard is it to plug in the vac and do it yourself.? Let's not get America any lazier

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Neat technology, but how hard is it to plug in the vac and do it yourself.? Let's not get America any lazier

I was going to type a reply, but got too tired....

#13 5 years ago

I understand cats seem to like them.

cat-gifs-108-010.gifcat-gifs-108-010.gif

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

Probably won't buy one but was wondering how well they can navigate under/between/around pinball legs.
    I typically use the Bill Murray "CaddyShack" method to clean..(not really)

The Neato Connected senses the leg, spins around each one the adds it to its map and knows where they are. The difference is this model maps the terrain and cycles back and forth like you traditionally vacuum unlike a Roomba which basically just bounces off the walls randomly like a pinball hoping to find something. When done the Neato also messages you a 3D map of every inch it cleaned after going back to home base. While unsure of how it would deal with dog poop (sounds like an owner/dog issue) it does sense our lazy Bully laying in its path, goes around, and comes back to that spot later after the dog moves on. Again, not for everyone but dam the programming intelligence on these is incredible.

Lol I feel like a vacuum salesmen. I only pitch as the wrong models are just plain crap and a waste of money.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Seems part of the reason to get one would be to vacuum under the games. Tough to do with a conventional vacuum.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Plugging in the vacuum and doing it every day is pretty much a PITA, and I'm sure no one who isn't on medication does it (that's a joke...no offense intended). We have a pomeranian and a shih-tzu (quit laughing!!) with all wood floors. Bottom line you can see the hair on the floor everyday. If you have carpet, you don't see it and can let it build for a week before vacuuming it all up. Our NeatO runs every day. It's scanning tech is second to none. No random bouncing. It maps the room and cleans in a side to side pattern...very time efficient.

The only downside I've come across is durability. This is our third. The first two each died after about two years. But it is such a great device for keeping the dog hair up, that we wouldn't want to have pets without one. The Deebot line looks interesting too. When this NeatO dies, I might give that brand a try.

#18 5 years ago

My wife bought a Roomba two days ago and loves it. It is the $1000 model Black Friday sale for 600.... she loves it. It’s especially valuable getting underneath couches and beds

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Why spend time getting out the vacuum, moving all the furniture, tripping over the cord, wrapping it back up, moving from outlet to outlet, if there is a ready-made almost-automatic option available, that works while you are away from the house? That's not laziness, it's buying back time. That would be worth it to me, if the things worked as advertised.

#20 5 years ago

I have a robot vacuum on every floor. Two of them are "dumb" and do just fine. My living room has a Deebot 900 (http://a.co/d/5OxXhYG), which I love. It maps the room and overall does a fantastic job. It's also $289 on amazon right now so I'm thinking about getting one for the basement to replace the dumb robo vacuum down there.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from atrainn:

I have a robot vacuum on every floor. Two of them are "dumb" and do just fine. My living room has a Deebot 900 (http://a.co/d/5OxXhYG), which I love. It maps the room and overall does a fantastic job. It's also $289 on amazon right now so I'm thinking about getting one for the basement to replace the dumb robo vacuum down there.

What are the "dumb" ones? I'm not clear on what that means

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What are the "dumb" ones? I'm not clear on what that means

By my definition the ones Without a sensing system or laser to know where they are going. Basically pinball off every wall like a childs toy hoping to find dirt.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:By my definition the ones Without a sensing system or laser to know where they are going. Basically pinball off every wall like a childs toy hoping to find dirt.

LOL i like your choice of words!

#24 5 years ago

No idea about Roomba but it would be super cool to have a small robot with brushes that could be put on a playfield that would clean and wax !

#25 5 years ago

I have a Neato XV21 for a few years now. It’s specific for pets,I have 3 cats. I’ve replaced batteries and brushes and it still works great. I’ve had Roomba’s and they haven’t compared. It’s not quite, but I schedule to run when I’m not at home. I have a central vac system and own Dyson broom sticks and uprights. The robot vacuums go where you wouldn’t typically vacuum. Under beds and under furniture. A great investment but you’ll need to gather up wires and address certain barriers.

#26 5 years ago

We have a Debot.
    it turns before it hits the wall.
    no scuffs.
    runs every day.
    had one break before owning it for a year. manufacturer sent out a new one before the old one was shipped back.

#27 5 years ago

I dont own one but have friends with the top of the line neato and say its the best thing and love it. They were showing me the things its capable of doing and i have to say i was impressed.

#28 5 years ago

Neato D80 (made for pet dander/hair). Love it. Only had one problem with the container not clicking back in place. After proving my purchase through Amazon, Neato sent an entirely new unit to us (whole new D80), and paid for the shipping to send the old one back.

#29 5 years ago

I see a 30 day return on the roomba but can't find anything on the neato. Does anyone know what that is?

#30 5 years ago

It is interesting to see the Neato maps and report back to the user. And what is more fun? Starting it up from a remote location to scare someone that might be in the room when you do so...

Screenshot_20181205-120047 (resized).pngScreenshot_20181205-120047 (resized).pngScreenshot_20181205-120121 (resized).pngScreenshot_20181205-120121 (resized).png
    #31 5 years ago

I picked up a Eufy 11S for $150 on Cyber Monday. For 150, it exceeded my expectations. Its a sturdy unit and does a great job keeping my floors clean.

#32 5 years ago

It seems like the people with the neato’s like them. I have two D7’s and a D6 which operate flawlessly. I have to make sure cords are sort of out of the way, but the vacuums go under beds, carpets, chairs, cabinets and even stop at the very edge of the stairs without an issue. Here’s a cleaning map from my D7 on my third floor and most of the missed areas are where I have turned on virtual no go lines.

I have dyson’s, portable and regular style vacuums and they serve a purpose and are great. The robot vac’s were a total shocker to me as I thought it was all hype, but I’m a believer now. We even cut our cleaning service back from every other week to once a month just because it cleaned the floors so well. Best of luck making a decision.

4DFC2FF3-C3A2-404D-9C32-04BCCC203EFA (resized).png4DFC2FF3-C3A2-404D-9C32-04BCCC203EFA (resized).png
    #33 5 years ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

I have 4 pins on tile and 8 on carpet and was thinking about a robotic sweeper to get under all my pins and clean around the legs/etc.
    Do they work well doing this? Are the pricier ones smarter and able to do a better job of it?
    Love to hear some opinions on the best ones and the ones to avoid (probably the cheapest ones)...

Don't bother with any Roomba below the 800 series or almost all of the knockoff designs because they still use brushes. Cleaning the brushes SUCKS. The Roomba 800/900 and new E6/i7 series all have rubber rollers that require almost no maintenance and clean very well. Also, because they use the rubber rollers, cords aren't a problem on the newer Roombas while they are an issue on any robot vacuum with brushes, which is all roombas under 800 and most of the knockoffs.

We have the i7+ that empties itself and frankly it's dumber than the 960 we have in the back of the house, so for the price bump I can't recommend it, although the wi-fi strength mapping you can turn on in the app is informative about where the high and low spots are in your house for wifi. You should be able to get an 800 series one for $270-$300 on sale and a 900 series for around $425. Costco has the E6 now for $325, but I have no experience with that model. It should have rubber rollers.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tyamry:

I see a 30 day return on the roomba but can't find anything on the neato. Does anyone know what that is?

I bought my unit Dec 2017. Had it replaced once reporting a problem May 2018.

Needless to say, more than 30 days : )

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Why spend time getting out the vacuum, moving all the furniture, tripping over the cord, wrapping it back up, moving from outlet to outlet, if there is a ready-made almost-automatic option available, that works while you are away from the house? That's not laziness, it's buying back time. That would be worth it to me, if the things worked as advertised.

Sure , but how often do you move the couch and items to vacuum? I understand pets dander and fur.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

My wife bought a Roomba two days ago and loves it. It is the $1000 model Black Friday sale for 600

Jeez, for $1000 or even $600, you could have someone come to your house (many times) and clean it for you...and not just vacuum.

Robert

#37 5 years ago

I bring my 56v rechargeable worx leaf blower in, and blow all the crap in the pinball room into the other room that gets vacuumed. everyday.
    Guests say i have the cleanest pin room they have seen!

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

No idea about Roomba but it would be super cool to have a small robot with brushes that could be put on a playfield that would clean and wax !

Omg that's terrifying. No way

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Jeez, for $1000 or even $600, you could have someone come to your house (many times) and clean it for you...and not just vacuum.
    Robert

You can get a near top-of-the-line Roomba 800 series for about $300. No one is going to vacuum your house every day (it always surprising how much crap it pulls out of our carpet every single day - carpet is a DIRTY flooring choice) for less than $1, and that's just year one. They typically last at least 3 years on the original battery as long as you change the filters and do annual maintenance.

#40 5 years ago

Neato Botvac D5 connected here. Side brush belt broke in 2 years of daily use picking up black dog hair off of white tile, but aside from the side brush issue, it works GREAT! Empty the bin, change the filter and brushes when needed and enjoy not having to vacuum or listen to your significant other complain about said chore.

#41 5 years ago

I would only buy a Roomba at Costco as they only last about a year before going to hell so then I simply take it back and exchange for the latest model. If Costco doesn’t like it then stop selling Roomba devices.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

They already take care of grills!

https://grillbots.com/

grillbot.jpggrillbot.jpg
    #43 5 years ago

I've tried both the Roombas and the Neato and there is no comparison, Neato wins hands down. I have a new D3 on my 1st floor, just today they were nice enough to push out a firmware update to it so I can do the "no go virtual lines". I have to do another run before I can play with that but it seems like a useful feature. On my other 2 floors I have slightly older D series Neato Botvacs and those work good.

Someone posted the D3 $250 sale up above, that is a really good deal. For what it's worth the spinning side brushes aren't really needed as they usually fall off (and then get stuck back up in it), and for the larger batteries they have negated that need by also including "turbo charging" with this latest software update. So if it doesn't get your area done on one charge it only needs to charge enough to finish and it goes back out (versus charging for another 2 to 3 hours before finishing). Just make sure whichever one you buy comes with a LION battery, the older models with NICAD wear down too quickly. Good luck!

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

I would only buy a Roomba at Costco as they only last about a year before going to hell so then I simply take it back and exchange for the latest model. If Costco doesn’t like it then stop selling Roomba devices.

You must be extremely hard on your Roombas or have been buying the crappy 500/600/700 models. We usually get about 3 years out of them before the battery has to be changed out (which is when we usually replace the battery then sell it to get a new one), but we change filters regularly and do maintenance as required.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Sure , but how often do you move the couch and items to vacuum? I understand pets dander and fur.

I need to introduce you to my wife

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I need to introduce you to my wife

To funny but the opposite for me. My wife always says "yep house is all clean!" then I send out Loopey (our Neato Robot) and when its done I show her the bin and say "Are you sure.....lol" Yeah she rarely thinks its as funny as I do. Scary thing is we are a fairly clean household (one Bulldog) and it blows my mind how much dirt this dam thing finds under every bed, sofa, chair, etc. For awhile we thought it was sneaking outside and vacuuming the yard it found so much dirt??

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

They already take care of grills!
    https://grillbots.com/[quoted image]

Hillarious!!

#48 5 years ago

The Gray one is $399 and the same one in White is $249?
    Are you kiddding me?

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

The Gray one is $399 and the same one in White is $249?
    Are you kiddding me?

Promo in time for Christmas!

Screenshot 2018-12-05 at 11.10.03 PM - Edited.pngScreenshot 2018-12-05 at 11.10.03 PM - Edited.png
    #50 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Do you have a dog? I don't think any of the robotic vacuums have solved the problem of being able to detect and avoid poop. Watch out for that lovely mess smeared all over the place.

Here is a funny read with picture of a Roomba finding some dog crap.
    http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2279180/Searchpage/3/Main/192054/Words/Roomba/Search/true/never-let-your-roomba-find-fresh-dog-poo.html#Post2279180

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-roomba-for-carpet-tile-pin-room-sweeping and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.