(Topic ID: 175373)

Best ROM Burners

By comment23

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've seen a good bit of information shared on ROM burners on here, KLOV, YouTube, etc. Since I am going to be purchasing a new ROM burner, I was hoping that some of you have recommendations of items that they have found that work well and on new technology (don't want to stand up a Win98 machine with a parallel port )

#3 7 years ago

+1 on the GQ-4X. Inexpensive and works great.

#4 7 years ago

Thanks guys! Another question, where do you pick up EPROM chips? Bulk on Ebay/Ali Express?

#5 7 years ago

Yep, all the above and any where else you can find them. Get yourself an eraser also.

#6 7 years ago

gq-4x
    the roms i usually get off of ebay. i tried aliexpress once. they sent me wrong ones.

#7 7 years ago

one more for GQ-4X. Also get a plug in charger for it, the USB is finicky. I use an old cell phone charger I had laying around.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

one more for GQ-4X. Also get a plug in charger for it, the USB is finicky. I use an old cell phone charger I had laying around.

Great tip, thanks!

#9 7 years ago

I use the tl866 its a cheap knock off but has always worked for me.

#10 7 years ago

GQ-4X gets my vote. Ebay is where I've purchased various chips. You can sometimes find pin compatible EEPROMS that don't need UV, though I hear the lifespan of data retention may be lower.

2 weeks later
    #11 7 years ago

Anyone know offhand if the gq-4x burns 2532 roms? I just tried on my tl866 and it can't without a home brew adapter.

#13 7 years ago

Any of you guys used the eproms from the Chinese suppliers on ebay? For example.......

ebay.com link: 10 PCS M2716 1F1 2716 ST Memory UV EPROM IC NEW

#14 7 years ago

Thanks for the link. In still new at this, so I'm not sure about what chips I have. I hope I can get it done. Trying to burn roms for centaur.

#15 7 years ago

I have found the SuperPro programmers to be worthless for new and old parts, almost but not quite as bad as my TL866.
    Most reliable for programming 2716's and up (including both 2532s and 2732s) for me has been an Advin Pilot programmer. We use a Pilot U44+ at work and I bought a Pilot U84+ off ebay for <$100. Only downside - it's a parallel port programmer. I keep a dedicated Dell laptop with parallel port for running PALASM plus Advin programming software (Windows XP).
    And for really, really old stuff - nothing beats the old serial port controlled, 50# Data-I/O Model 29B. Still worked last time I used it... something like 20 years ago.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

And for really, really old stuff - nothing beats the old serial port controlled, 50# Data-I/O Model 29B. Still worked last time I used it... something like 20 years ago.

Mine is tied to a Compaq 486 that has DOS and Promlink and very little else (Windows 3.1). One never knows.... I just might need a 2708 or a TMS2716 for something, though getting hit by lightning is far more likely. It put Night Rider on a 2732 a couple months ago.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-rom-burners and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.