(Topic ID: 212553)

Best replacement for Grand Prix (Williams EM) drop targets?

By Richthofen

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by spinout
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN1528 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Just picked up a Grand Prix and the bottom two drops are cracked. I assume these are unobtanium because quick searches on the major vendors are coming up empty.

#2 6 years ago

bump!

#3 6 years ago

The first Grand Prix I owned had a broken target and I could not find a replacement. Good luck!

#4 6 years ago

saw about 100 of them this weekend at pinball expo. pinball inc. has a bunch of them.

#5 6 years ago

I posted a "wanted" ad on pinside for one in the last month or so. Someone did reply and sold me the whole assembly (and he even mentioned how he kept coming across broken ones))... and I was super grateful!... but it wasn't the cheapest thing. I am almost afraid to install it (the original waited 40+ years for me to show up and break it!) There seems to be a lot of Grand Prix owners with the same broken drop target - it is that angle and the speed of the ball at that close range I suppose.

If there was ever a candidate part for a vendor to make an aftermarket version, this is it. Hell, they made over 10,000 Grand Prix units. I have a Spin Out that I can buy new plastics for and they made less than 3,000 units. I feel like there is someone with a 3d printer somewhere than can help us. Makes me wish I had a few backups

#6 6 years ago

I find it hard to imagine a 3d printed part surviving for any length of time in this location.

#7 6 years ago

ahh - sad but probably true. I can tell you I tried super glue, gorilla glue and even plast-aid with no success. Most didn't last even 2 games. arrghh.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from spinout:

ahh - sad but probably true. I can tell you I tried super glue, gorilla glue and even plast-aid with no success. Most didn't last even 2 games. arrghh.

A guy out here used to make drop targets for his BK 2000 out of milled blocks of solid aluminum, powder coated. They looked pretty nice and doubt they'll ever break. Expensive though

#9 6 years ago

I used these from PBR but sadly they are out of stock, it appears: BLY-C947-1

I had to trim them slightly on both sides, and added a decal for a little spice, but they worked out well. Maybe some other vendor will have them.

DSCN1528 (resized).JPGDSCN1528 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

A guy out here used to make drop targets for his BK 2000 out of milled blocks of solid aluminum, powder coated. They looked pretty nice and doubt they'll ever break. Expensive though

Wow - that would be sweet! expensive I could live with if they are solid aluminum - agreed, probably never break.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

I used these from PBR but sadly they are out of stock, it appears: BLY-C947-1
I had to trim them slightly on both sides, and added a decal for a little spice, but they worked out well. Maybe some other vendor will have them.

Wow - thanks. That looks really nice! Kudos. I emailed them direct to see if they may come back in stock. I have a replacement now... from another Grand Prix or maybe a Liberty Bell. However, I fear putting it in as I may just break it again. I told myself I wouldn't install it until I solved all the other issues with the machine... which I think are all resolved now. I may just install it over the weekend and pray.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
$ 12.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-replacement-for-grand-prix-williams-em-drop-targets?hl=spinout and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.