New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 252453)

Best Replacement Connectors for CFTBL and DW

By mwrussel

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mwrussel
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I'm working on repairing a CFTBL and DW and would like to repair/replace connectors that look old/cooked/brittle.

I've been watching the PINDUDE on youtube and he showed a crimper from amazon for $23 that looked to work well.

I see Molex everywhere online, but then I see other brands that look very similar and didn't know if there is a particular brand that is better than others.

Any thoughts on crimpers/connectors/kits etc. would be appreciated

#2 1 year ago

Read this forum. Buy your supplies from gpe. I posted a video in this forum with recommenced tools including part numbers for trifurcon connectors, around post number six.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advise-for-early-solid-state-owners/page/3#post-5195619

#3 1 year ago

Molex connectors are the best widely available connectors.

#4 1 year ago

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=30

Great Plains Electronics is an excellent place to start for starter kits. Agree with above trifurcon are good. I didn’t spend a ton on molex brand, amazon has decent crimpers too, and pindude is great! Buy extra and practice, its not difficult once you figure it out. Your games will thank you.

#5 1 year ago

And 0.156 are the larger types (mainly on the powerboard) and the 0.1 are the smaller ones (some on powerboard). From my experience the 0.156 are the ones most likely in need of replacement, but having a few 0.1 on hand is helpful.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from 2pupPinz:

And 0.156 are the larger types (mainly on the powerboard) and the 0.1 are the smaller ones (some on powerboard). From my experience the 0.156 are the ones most likely in need of replacement, but having a few 0.1 on hand is helpful.

Sounds like this is the way to go. The connectors I'd like to replace are mostly GI on the power driver board. They are the smaller of the two different sizes I see, excluding ribbons. Would that be tohe 0.1 size? The larger ones I see tend to be the power input to the board, so they might be the 0.156? Does that seem correct? Thanks.

bluespin 2puppinz

Edit: I think I need the .156 now for the GI.

#7 1 year ago

Yeah the GI take the 0.156 on my WMS machines. If you get the ~$20 version of crimpers, there are some good videos on youtube, but they need 2 crimps for each connection, one on the insulation and one on the bare wire strands, so the process requires two different positions on the crimping tool, but the waldon brand works well.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from 2pupPinz:

Yeah the GI take the 0.156 on my WMS machines. If you get the ~$20 version of crimpers, there are some good videos on youtube, but they need 2 crimps for each connection, one on the insulation and one on the bare wire strands, so the process requires two different positions on the crimping tool, but the waldon brand works well.

I was just looking on Great plains. For the trifurcon connectors, I only saw .156 for them. I was going to buy a few to fit the .100 but did see them.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from 2pupPinz:

There’s a ratcheting crimper on Amazon for $23. See the link that I provided above, in maybe post six of that forum I provided a video link that demonstrates the ratcheting crimper makes both crimps in one move.

#10 1 year ago

Don’t think there are any trifurcon 0.100 connectors...
Only 0.156

#11 1 year ago

bluespin 2puppinz grangeomatic

Thanks for the all the input on the connectos, went with the $23 crimper on Amazon, down to $19. Worked very well. Got connectors from Great plains and replaced two bad connectors. Thanks all.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Boards
PCB Emporium
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 25.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside