Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 98 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Betelgeuse
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Peter-North-Power-Pills- (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_4566854_1362745 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1493 (resized).JPG
    Cleo (resized).jpg
    ssr3 (resized).jpg
    ssr2 (resized).jpg
    ssr1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0775 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0786 (resized).JPG
    image-7 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0716 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0670 (resized).JPG
    Rare (resized).png
    IMG_7077[1] (resized).JPG
    IMG_0715 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0701 (resized).JPG
    There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 2 years ago

For EM's there is only one answer, Gottleib 1964 Majorettes only 425 made, great wedgehead AAB

#102 2 years ago

My wants, but have-nots and will try hard to have someday...
    Krull - played and loved
    Viking - have not played
    Alien LV - played and loved
    Cyclopse - have not played

#103 2 years ago

We had a Solar Fire in our basement growing up. Only 782 produced. Super fun and challenging game. Wish my dad never sold it.

#104 2 years ago

I very recently went through this one which has a low production run,
    and as far as performance. No disappointment. 100% "Plus" Satisfied..

IMG_0786 (resized).JPGIMG_0786 (resized).JPG
    1 week later
    #105 2 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

We had a Solar Fire in our basement growing up. Only 782 produced. Super fun and challenging game. Wish my dad never sold it.

They are for sale regularly. Being a clone of BK, JL and Pharaoh, with varying opinions of which of the 4 were best, there is opportunity to own one or similar style of play.

#106 2 years ago

Personal favorites of the rare games I have played...

Cosmic Gunfight
    JJP Pirates of the Caribbean
    Defender
    Mystery Castle
    America's Most Haunted

#107 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Just got this on the weekend, it is so much fun i can't believe it is.
    I can't find any info on production numbers, but there are only 4 other pinsiders who have one.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/Control-Tower
    Reckon i've played it 30 times since i got it home a day and a half ago.
    [quoted image]

How about a link to the poster on the wall? Now that would be fun!

#108 2 years ago

I played Kingpin at a show earlier this month and thought it was awesome. Really cool and unique theme, a fun layout with some great gimmicks (slot machine and spinner ramps), exciting scoring with the playfield x, and the video game-esque life meter rule is very cool, especially how the enemy goons shoot back at you and you've got to then regain health.

#109 2 years ago

BBB for me.

#110 2 years ago

Big Buck Hunter Pro (pretty sure it had a small run)

#111 2 years ago

Not sure about the very best, but (playability wise) it was very much a surprise.
    Pleasant surprise..

IMG_0775 (resized).JPGIMG_0775 (resized).JPG
    #112 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Not sure about the very best, but (playability wise) it was very much a surprise.
    Pleasant surprise..
    [quoted image]

I didn't know Snow Derby/Snow Queen had an AAB version. Those games are super fun so I can only imagine the AAB is great too.

#113 2 years ago

Stern Shrek < 700 units

#114 2 years ago

Best rare games for me are Andromeda (500 made) and Algar (349 made).

Andromeda is one of the best all around early-SS games made from both player's point of view and certainly for the art.

Algar is super under-rated. Great tournament game, and so weird/wildly different in gameplay from just about any other game I've played.

#115 2 years ago

I have a Sunset Riders on the truck on it's wat to me atm.

Retheme of a Bally Eight Ball. Not sure how many there were made, maybe 6 or 7? I'll ask the manufacturer.

ssr1 (resized).jpgssr1 (resized).jpg

ssr2 (resized).jpgssr2 (resized).jpg

ssr3 (resized).jpgssr3 (resized).jpg

#116 2 years ago

Total run of 7 machines apparently.

#117 2 years ago
    Quoted from frisbez:

I didn't know Snow Derby/Snow Queen had an AAB version. Those games are super fun so I can only imagine the AAB is great too.

Yea. Actually Bristol Hills has a little meaning to me. It's a Ski Resort here in Upstate N.Y. fairly close by..
    A Vendor (and a huge Gottlieb distributor, Johnny Bilotta) from my small hometown knew Dave Gottlieb
    well. As the two were walking through Gottlieb's factory, Johnny noticed a Ski Resort pinball machine (Snow
    Derby) being made and said, "Why don't you call that Bristol Hills" thus Dave produced 110 Bristol Hills
    models solely for New York State..
    I had it (actually a couple) for years, and just this past month or so I went through it and I can honestly say,
    the rating on IPDB isn't joking..

#118 2 years ago

Defender.

#119 2 years ago

My Cleopatra EM is 1 of 349 made for US market.. It's by far the most fun EM I've played ( haven't played many ). Game has been HUO since early 80's. I got it for free..

Cleo (resized).jpgCleo (resized).jpg
    #120 2 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

For EM's there is only one answer, Gottleib 1964 Majorettes only 425 made, great wedgehead AAB

Totally agree. Was going to say this, but saw you beat me to it. Played Tim Mehan's at a PPE years ago, and was hooked on this game.

1 year later
    #121 4 months ago

ROCKY a totally fast and challenging game.

PUNK is a great game.

DEFENDER is all time great

#122 4 months ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

friend of mine picked up 3 last yr at different times.

#123 4 months ago

Not a pin, but since I tuned up the Jumbo last month, it's what I've been
    playing more than any other single game. Only a handful of the 7 footers.

IMG_1493 (resized).JPGIMG_1493 (resized).JPG
    #124 4 months ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Safe Cracker at around 1100 produced

Came here to say this. Such a unique, fun pin.

#125 4 months ago

Rolling Stones LE (a few hundred maybe?)
    Fastest game in all of pinball with wide ramps and navi ball.

Stern NBA is really popular amongst guest and the amazement watching the ball fly in the air never gets old.

#126 4 months ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Rolling Stones LE (a few hundred maybe?)

FEW hundred? I think that's an over estimation. STERN only made as many as were ordered and there were NOT that many ordered at all. I honestly believe there are less than 200 of these but, probably more than 100.

People believe that all Stern LE's are always made. Truth is that a LOT of LE's were never made for multiple Stern titles. This is especially true back then when LEs were a very new concept. They only put that 250,350, ect. number out there to show the maximum that they would ever make, not to indicate how many were actually made.

22 have turned up on Pinside and only 6 have been reg'd here:

https://www.ipsnd.net/view.aspx?id=5708

#127 4 months ago

Tommy Prototype next to Tommy was really unique at Ann Arbor VFW. Varkon was bad ass as well.

#128 4 months ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Krull is actually rare with less than 10 in existence, and it's pretty damn cool. Haven't played it personally, but it looks fun for an early SS.

Another vote for Krull. I've played 2 of the 10, it's like Haunted House only better. Others would be Verne's World, Defender, Cosmic Princess, Warlok and Big Bang Bar. King Pin wasn't that fun. Spectrum is odd but after a few games, not fun to play. Gemini and Cyclopes are good. Cosmic Gunfight is fun but a bit too one-dimensional (right orbit all day) and I don't consider it "rare". Pink Panther is fun, provided it plays well; some are too floaty or have weak flippers, makes them tedious. Asteroid Annie is just okay. Bristol Hills is rare artwork but not rare playfield; they had one in the Classics tournament bank at Expo last month.

One I haven't seen mentioned so far is Starlight. Used to be one at Expo every year; I'm blanking on the name of the woman who brought it. Very fun to play, good rule set.

As for the recent games with "limited" production runs, I don't consider them rare since the low count was intentional.

#129 4 months ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

Another vote for Krull. I've played 2 of the 10, it's like Haunted House only better. Others would be Verne's World, Defender, Cosmic Princess, Warlok and Big Bang Bar. King Pin wasn't that fun. Spectrum is odd but after a few games, not fun to play. Gemini and Cyclopes are good. Cosmic Gunfight is fun but a bit too one-dimensional (right orbit all day) and I don't consider it "rare". Pink Panther is fun, provided it plays well; some are too floaty or have weak flippers, makes them tedious. Asteroid Annie is just okay. Bristol Hills is rare artwork but not rare playfield; they had one in the Classics tournament bank at Expo last month.
    One I haven't seen mentioned so far is Starlight. Used to be one at Expo every year; I'm blanking on the name of the woman who brought it. Very fun to play, good rule set.
    As for the recent games with "limited" production runs, I don't consider them rare since the low count was intentional.

The starlight more than likely was Phoebes Butterflygirl24

As for the 2 krulls that you ahve played, im guessing i know the two owners given your location. Are you coming to pincinatti this weekend?

#130 4 months ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Krull is actually rare with less than 10 in existence, and it's pretty damn cool. Haven't played it personally, but it looks fun for an early SS.

I use to own one. The key word is 'use to' own a Krull. It was not a keeper. I sold it years ago for $5000. I do wish I still had it so I could sell it for todays going price.

#131 4 months ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

For EM's there is only one answer...

Majorettes is fun. Middle saucer is a cool idea

#132 4 months ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I use to own one. The key word is 'use to' own a Krull. It was not a keeper. I sold it years ago for $5000. I do wish I still had it so I could sell it for todays going price.

your years ago must actually be decades ago. years ago it was still a 40k game. I owned one also till about 3 years ago

#133 4 months ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

The starlight more than likely was Phoebes Butterflygirl24
    As for the 2 krulls that you ahve played, im guessing i know the two owners given your location. Are you coming to pincinatti this weekend?

No, going to do 2 of 4 days at Captains in Anaheim. And one of the Krulls was not in CA but in CO.

#134 4 months ago

I really enjoy Goin' Nuts.

#135 4 months ago

Defender is such a great pin. If you like early 80s solid state action it's one the funnest

#136 4 months ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

I really enjoy Goin' Nuts.

So many pop bumpers, and it’s a 1 ball game right??

I really think if Krull was remade with modern music and callouts, it would be a hit. Even as is, the lower playfield is not a gimmick, it’s a very well engineered 3/4 sized playfield, it plays like a dungeon boss fight. Seriously one of Trudeau’s best

#137 4 months ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

it’s a 1 ball game right??

3 ball multiball at the start of each ball.

LTG : )

#138 4 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

3 ball multiball at the start of each ball.
    LTG : )

Correct, and when you get down to only one ball in play it becomes a timed ball. You can stop the timer by earning balls to restart the multiball.

#139 4 months ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

So many pop bumpers, and it’s a 1 ball game right??
    I really think if Krull was remade with modern music and callouts, it would be a hit. Even as is, the lower playfield is not a gimmick, it’s a very well engineered 3/4 sized playfield, it plays like a dungeon boss fight. Seriously one of Trudeau’s best

I haven't gotten a chance to play a Krull yet. Hope to play one someday.

#140 4 months ago

For me it's Spirit. So much going on and crazy multiball sound effects make it top of the list.

#141 4 months ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Personal favorites of the rare games I have played...
    Cosmic Gunfight
    JJP Pirates of the Caribbean
    Defender
    Mystery Castle
    America's Most Haunted

I have yet to play a Mystery Castle, but would like to get one when the stars align for it.

Otherwise, Cosmic Gunfight, Defender, and AMH are also the first ones that come to mind for me, so I was surprised to see such a post (Defender and CG both games I'd like to get one day as well).

Would add Radical

#142 4 months ago

Starlight and Defender are tops of my list. The limited number produced did not have to do with fun.

Both have been on my list for years since i missed both in the mid 2000s and still kick myself.

I also have had the chance to play Spirit and original BBB and both are fun with my limited plays.

#143 4 months ago

Sometimes I kinda miss that 1960 Williams Magic Clock. Good luck finding as many as 5 still in existence. Great player nonetheless.
    Pinside_forum_4566854_1362745 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_4566854_1362745 (resized).jpg

#144 4 months ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

your years ago must actually be decades ago. years ago it was still a 40k game. I owned one also till about 3 years ago

I sold the Krull game after I bought Big Bang Bar. It was around 2007-2009 when I sold the Krull for $5k. Pricing was much different before 2013. I paid $4500 for a new in the box BBB in 2006-2007. Stern started the pro/premium/LE pricing level around ACDC timeframe. My LOTR was around $3100-3200. My Varkon was $700 and my original Capcom Kingpin was $5K. Times were different.

#145 4 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sometimes I kinda miss that 1960 Williams Magic Clock. Good luck finding as many as 5 still in existence. Great player nonetheless.
    [quoted image]

C’mon, that’s a what I drank in college.

#146 4 months ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

C’mon, that’s a what I drank in college.

Whattya think keeps him so young?!

#147 4 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Whattya think keeps him so young?!

And all this time I thought it was these.

Peter-North-Power-Pills- (resized).jpgPeter-North-Power-Pills- (resized).jpg
    #148 4 months ago

Would it be worth the effort, and expense to build a goin nuts or spirit from scratch?

#149 4 months ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Would it be worth the effort, and expense to build a goin nuts or spirit from scratch?

Spirit, no it would not be worth it, they made a decent amount of those.
    Goin' Nuts would be very difficult. With only 9 out there that might be worth the effort. But again very difficult (if not impossible).

#150 4 months ago

Going through this thread and did not see mention of the best rare game yet?

If someone asked me what is the best rare game you would like to have in your collection?

The answer is easy:

Pinball Circus taking pinball vertical with only 2 examples

1. Pinball Circus
    2. King Kong
    3. Rolling Stones LE

There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-rare-game-ever/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.