(Topic ID: 213815)

Best ramps for stairs

By Kkuoppamaki

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Hi

I'm about to move in a new house that has about 17' of stairs outside leading into the basement that I'm going to turn into a game room.
    To make getting pins in and out of the basement, I was thinking of getting portable ramps (e.g. wheelchair ramps) so that I can use a dolly.

Has anyone got any recommendations on brands and types of ramps for this purpose? And yes, I'm aware of how great an escalera would be for this purpose but since I'm not expecting to move stuff too often I think it's a bit of an overkill for my needs

Thanks,
    -K

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

escalera would be for this purpose but since I'm not expecting to move stuff too often I think it's a bit of an overkill for my needs

Can you rent one maybe?

#3 6 years ago

Ive never personally used my wheelchair ramp for pins, they all have pivot points and such that would make me feel really sketchy.

On the other hand, my escalera has paid dividends since getting it. It ROCKS. The pneumatic wheel attachment is killer.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Hi
    I'm about to move in a new house that has about 17' of stairs outside leading into the basement that I'm going to turn into a game room.
    To make getting pins in and out of the basement, I was thinking of getting portable ramps (e.g. wheelchair ramps) so that I can use a dolly.
    Has anyone got any recommendations on brands and types of ramps for this purpose? And yes, I'm aware of how great an escalera would be for this purpose but since I'm not expecting to move stuff too often I think it's a bit of an overkill for my needs
    Thanks,
    -K

Even though you say you don't think you will use it, you will.

While a little bit of money up front, definitely worth it in the long run.

I would call Larry over at Flip n' Out Pinball and order an escalara stair climbing dolly.

[email protected]

if you are truly only going to move games one time, then i would still find a place that rents one.

#5 6 years ago

Thank you all

Seems like ramps are not the best idea. I'll see if I can find a place that rents Escalera's in Seattle area, have not seen one though. Ramps would have been useful for other things too, but if they are too flimsy for pins then best to avoid that I guess.

4 months later
    #6 5 years ago

What was your final solution? Did you find a rental place around here? I'm in similar predicament.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

What was your final solution? Did you find a rental place around here? I'm in similar predicament.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution yet. Couldn't find a rental place so in the end the moving company had to carry the pins down the stairs. I've not bought a new one since, nor have I sold one but the day is approaching where I'm going to have to face this.

In the mean time, if you find a solution please let me know

Ps. I'm afraid that the stairs are too steep for a dolly and a ramp, unless you are a pile of muscles (I'm not). Gravity tends to win every time...

#8 5 years ago

I currently use the hand truck with two people. The hand truck I have has an extendable handle that can extend a couple feet longer that makes it easy for the top person to keep the machine lower along the steps, and the bottom person just "bumps" up or down step-by-step. I'd love to be able to do it myself though, and keep wondering about ramp / rails to lay on the stairs. A hand truck with a hand brake might make it possible, but even those seem pretty pricey. Probably a winch and skid on rails is a better option.

A seller of a machine I bought had an Escalara. I tried it, but thought it felt pretty sketchy. Maybe it just takes getting used to.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-ramps-for-stairs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.