Best Ramp Shot?

By MattBunk

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I love a good ramp shot. It just has a feeling. You know?

Anyway, what's your favorite ramp to hit?

I know it's not a favorite game overall, but I love the 360 ramp shot on Hook.

I also love the ramp on TOTAN (Another 360). The way it splits and you can fall off into pops if you don't hit it clean.

#2 10 years ago

The back left metal ramp in King Kong, you've got to just nail it perfectly, that thing is so damn steep.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The back left metal ramp in King Kong, you've got to just nail it perfectly, that thing is so damn steep.

Wow. That's a rare machine. Where did you play it?

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from MattBunk:

Wow. That's a rare machine. Where did you play it?

Python benefit a few weeks ago, part of pinsane's awesome collection. It's really a shame Data East wasn't able to build it, super cool game, and the mirrored backglass is just gorgeous.

#5 10 years ago

Both of Dirty Harry's ramps are satisfying as all hell...

2 of the most rewarding shots in pinball i would say...

#6 10 years ago

For me it is likely the "O" ramp in Doctor Who. I'll shoot that thing over and over without ever getting bored.

#7 10 years ago

Oft-repeated but here it is again, because it's a tough shot... the upper ramp on WW. Especially as part of the 3-way combo to hear the storm siren!

#8 10 years ago

Best ramp shot: Up the right ramp and ripping around the cup about 30 times in Diner!

#9 10 years ago

upper left ramp in TAF for SUPER JACKPOT

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Best ramp shot: Up the right ramp and ripping around the cup about 30 times in Diner!

Great choice! When you hit it right and that ball just spins and spins...King of the World!!!!

#11 10 years ago

Insanity Falls...love the glass tap.

#12 10 years ago

The Avengers Black Widow ramp shot in succession . STERN STAR TREK WARP RAMP in succession . CFTBL left ramp in succession and in muli-ball into whirlpool.

#13 10 years ago

BSD left ramp. I love that shot all the way around the game to the right flipper and back to the ramp... clunk. Oh I'll make it next time!

#14 10 years ago

Cash Register Shot in Diner.

It's the only ramp shot I know of where the ball-return velocity is very fast, basically matching the speed of the entire shot... Every other ramp I've played slows the ball down a little or a lot, which to me, breaks up the flow/challenge.

-mof

#16 10 years ago

Hard rampshots with upper flipper for me! I.e. Stargate (on my game) is very hard: you can only make it if the ball sits perfectly on the flipper (I know other Stargates are easier on the left ramp). Whirlwind is very hard to make on most games, Dirty Harry is easier, yet still very nice to hit, Jackpot in High Speed is always nice.... as said, upper-flipper-rampshots, best the hard ones and during multiball .

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Cash Register Shot in Diner.
It's the only ramp shot I know of where the ball-return velocity is very fast, basically matching the speed of the entire shot... Every other ramp I've played slows the ball down a little or a lot, which to me, breaks up the flow/challenge.
-mof

I put a cliffy switch slot protector on mine, and it slowed it down. With that protector on, the ball bounces on it, hits the plastic above, and comes to a stop for a brief moment.. It bugged me at first, but I got used to it.

#19 10 years ago

Thanks. That post was hiding in the archives. I've got some reading to do.

#20 10 years ago

Actually, the reason I started this post is sorta funny.

I played WOZ for the first time on Thursday and after I walked away I realized how much I wished it had a satisfying ramp shot.

It does have a ramp but it's just a short little thing that more transports the ball than create a feeling of accomplishment.

It's looking like Hobbit will at least have a chance for a great ramp.

#21 10 years ago

Tales from the Crypt without explanation.

Other honorable mentions include Party Zone, Mousin' Around, Demolition Man, and RollerCoaster Tycoon.

#22 10 years ago

Getaway supercharger

#23 10 years ago

Congo volcano ramp is pretty great. Similar to the right ramp in Road Show but it's tighter through the pops and has excellent theming.

I love all of J-pop's ramps. His signature flowing style is gorgeous to watch. He makes other designer's straight angled ramp returns seem so boring. Gomez has had some great flowing ramp moments — Monster Bash particularly.

Can't forget Nordman either. Scared Stiff's ramps are so satisfying to shoot, huge sweet spots, smooth entries and awesome flow around the ramps.

I find that great sound effects that compliment the visual movement of the ball can make a good ramp truly great.

I also agree with Doctor Who's O-ramp. I may not count because it is successive shots to this ramp that are particularly satisfying, not just one.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Congo volcano ramp is pretty great. Similar to the right ramp in Road Show but it's tighter through the pops and has excellent theming.

Quoted from accidental:

Can't forget Nordman either. Scared Stiff's ramps are so satisfying to shoot, huge sweet spots, smooth entries and awesome flow around the ramps.

I've yet to get my hands on a Congo, but now I really want to.

I was thinking about that Scared Stiff left ramp too. Like TOTAN, I like that if you soft it, it will fall off the back.

#26 10 years ago

Gilligan's island ramp shot to the rotating island.
This then of course comes back via a random path, either very quick to left flipper or at different times to the right.Best game ever.
CFBL for the main stream.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

BSD left ramp. I love that shot all the way around the game to the right flipper and back to the ramp

+1 Nailed it

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from MattBunk:

I've yet to get my hands on a Congo, but now I really want to.

You should! It's my favourite Trudeau pin.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from tb0ne:

Getaway supercharger

...from the left flipper.

#31 10 years ago

BK2K drawbridge ramp. It is never a gimme.

#32 10 years ago

World Cup Soccer 1994 ramp to magnet lock.

1 week later
#33 10 years ago

Shadow's 4 way combo ramp shot. It doesn't get much better than that.

#34 10 years ago

Hurricane has a great ramp shot, loops around the entire playfield almost back to the ramp entrance and then across the playield. In multiball the ball traveling in your field of vision over the flippers is real hard to get accustomed to.

#35 10 years ago

I've never seen a Hurricane — it looks like a lot of fun. What a cool, and very long, ramp!

#36 10 years ago

It's hard, but collecting the mystery score off a lower right flipper shot through the horseshoe ramp on Black Knight is fun. Not a consistent shot, however.

6 years later
#37 3 years ago

How about we resurrect this thread. (I thought I'd do that rather than start a new one)

Deadpool "right" Katana ramp that goes thru the bumpers, man that's cool.

Also the switchable Flintstones ramps

and yes another vote for Hurricane.

I'm sure there's more I'm missing...

#38 3 years ago

X men’s Storm ramp

IJ Path of Adventure ramp for Jackpot

Munsters Raven/ Spot ramp

Star Wars’ Death Star ramp

Both Iron Man ramps

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

X men’s Storm ramp
IJ Path of Adventure ramp for Jackpot
Munsters Raven/ Spot ramp
Star Wars’ Death Star ramp
Both Iron Man ramps

Oh and I forgot those 2 crazy ramps in AIQ,
that left vertical magnet ramp,
and that crazy right, loop w a half twist ramp, cool stuff.

1 month later
#40 3 years ago

Party Zone's "Ozone" ramp for the Big Bang jackpot. It's a great ramp going up and back down. The music and sounds building-up to locking the second ball really add to the excitement... and satisfaction of getting it.

#party-zone

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-ramp-shot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.