Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 177 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by King_Jelly
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Products (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gnarlee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#51 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

There's a common misconception that it's an anti-trust violation for a manufacturer to set a minimum resale price for its products (understandable mistake since once upon a time this was considered a form of illegal price fixing, but the law changed decades ago). In fact, it's totally legal in the US for a company to set both a minimum advertised price and a minimum resale price. And if the manufacturer catches a distributor (a.k.a a retailer) selling below the minimum resale price, they can legally punish them in various ways, including refusing to sell them product to resell in the future.
    Video game consoles and iPhones are good examples -- they're pretty much always the same price everywhere, and when they go on sale they go on sale everywhere for the same sale price. And that's because those manufacturers keep very tight control over pricing of their product. Evidently Stern decided a few years back it was in their best interest to do the same, and that's been the way of the world ever since.

Stores get around this by giving away free stuff with your purchase. Like say spend $6500 (full retail) on a pinball machine and get a $1000 gift card towards your next purchase. You see this all the time with the items you mentioned. Buy a new switch for 299 and get a 60 dollar game free. Buy this phone and get wireless headphones free. Yes they had to abide by MSRP but get around it with the freebies. My pinball machine I got a small discount for cash purchase. I believe there was a small discount for veteren. And I still got them to throw in a free printed manual (although its been almost 9 months and havnt recieved it. Maybe its time for a call)

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Most pinball manufactures closed this loop hole about 2 years ago. No inclusions expect for free shipping are allowed. Different rules for each.

So how did I get other discounts? People who think that a distro has to sell something a particular way is wrong. Maybe I just negotiate better than most. for example I have never paid more than 75% of the msrp on a brand new car. The only thing that the distro is liable for is the actual purchase price of the machine everything above and beyond comes out of the distro bottom line. So across the board you are probably allowed to give say no more than a 10% discount on the physical machine. I got this via a cash purchase discount and a veteran discount. I also did not pay shipping. I got a free manual (calling today) and a couple super cheap tshirts (which I forgot about). Sellers are not going to tell you all the stuff you can ask for as it ultimately affect their bottom line and not jjp stern spooky ect. Next time your buying a car get them to their "cost" (it isnt) and then start asking for random addons. my first new car was 21k msrp I paid 13500 out the door with free fog lights added. First car got totaled (not my fault) so wasnt in the negotiating position but still got down to "cost" and got free lifetime sirius/xm radio on second car. 3rd car MSRP 44k paid right at 30 with extras ( this one took 6 months of negotiations). All brand new vehicles and no lot specials (like new cars that have had hail damage repair). It never hurts to ask about things and be patient with large purchases you will be surprised on what you can get.

2 weeks later
    #172 4 years ago

Buying out of state does not men you do not have to pay tax. If you live in a state that has 0 distributors you would be eligible for no tax purchase. You however are technically supposed to report the no tax purchase on you taxes and would pay tax there. Most places are not going to check all of this and will give you the discount. Greatest example 5 years ago everything on amazon was tax free. Now if there is a distributor in your state for product you purchase, amazon will collect tax on it. It’s a weird law/rule that no one really follows but is becoming harder and harder to get away with.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gnarlee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pricing-on-nib-stern?tu=gnarlee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.