Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 177 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by King_Jelly
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Products (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yelobird.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#101 4 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Time to do away with distributors

Yeah great idea then we can all be assured we are paying the same price. Full List! No thank you. Fact, whether your distributor gives you 10% or 100% love effort and a back rub bottom line it costs you no more to support these guys who are Clearly not getting rich peddling 400# boxes of lights. I won’t call this a labor of love but what they provide is an Additional layer of confidence in your expensive transaction. Find one that makes you happy, support them with your business and you Might be surprised how little old school haggling you really need to do! My distributors (Kingpin & Flipnout) have never made me question if I got a good deal nor worry about the what If’s after sale. Yes they are also a business but they can if needed prove to be your most valuable resource. Even friend!

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

What services are required exactly?

Not sure if they are Required but I see them as valuable and appreciated by me. A Few (not all) of the services the distributors I use include:
    Notifying me of new title releases so I don’t have to read Pinside 24/7
    Contacting me when there are software updates available.
    Assistant with delivery often even setup just because they appreciate my business..
    Notification of recall type issues or machine updates
    Priority repeat business for new release waiting list contact.
    Assistance with consignment flips of games that need a new home.
    Assistance with product issues and replacements warranty or other.
    Continuous feedback and status on new purchases.
    Honest feedback on game value and playability.
    Most often discounted from OEM pricing without pan handling dozens of dealers. Honest best price, done without asking.
    LE or CE type unit number special requests. (OCD thing lol)
    Minor feedback (speculation) on potential future titles.
    Trade show special events
    Trade show test drive of the new titles to assist in a major buying decision.
    Assistance in hunting for out of production titles or wish list toys.
    Contact on show special pricing events.
    A shoulder (friend) to cry on for issues or bad pinball decisions.

I am sure I could come up with Dozens more value added services these distributors provide or I bug them with but I can say with confidence if you find the Right distributor (not all are created equal) you might be surprised at how hard they work in appreciation of your business!

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Lord I have not bought furniture in years, but if you could buy direct from a furniture manufacturer then I promise you would save money over shopping at a retail store.
    Do you understand retail? Have you ever shopped at Best Buy? You can buy 98% of all that stuff cheaper by going direct. I do not think you understand the difference. I NEVER shop retail for the simple fact it can be gotten cheaper 99% of the time unless they have a strict contract with said retailer.

I'm a bit curious... Of the 98% Best Buy products What do you buy direct?? I honestly can't think of one unless Sony or Samsung have some back door I haven't seen?

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Direct does not always mean straight from manufacturer but a distributor as well, My family business is unique in the fact that we manufacture, distribute, and have retail. I am involved in all three so I do have some experience here.
    Direct buying refers to the purchase of goods directly from manufacturers or distributors, bypassing the supply chain customarily traveled by items sold in retail markets. ... While less expensive, direct buying opportunities often present consumers with less variety than retail stores.
    The Benefits of Purchasing Direct from the Manufacturer. The internet has made product manufacturers far more accessible than they previously were. ... Another significant benefit to buying direct from a manufacturer is that there will almost always be a better purchase price.

So what your saying in relation to pinball is if I call Jack or Gary Stern I will get a better price or support then going through a distributor? Not sure I ever paid list for Any machine but you think they are hagglers?

#135 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

This entire thing was started because the guy said retail is always cheaper than direct and I said not always true and he come back with 100% true and he is crazy if he thinks that. Now we are here and I still think we can do away with distributors and I still know buying direct is almost always cheaper than retail.
    If there where NO distro's and Stern sold to us direct I think we would get a better price. Why would Stern just not sell to us at the same price as a distributor? they are still making the same money and still having to ship games out like they already do and they already have tech support to help with game issues.

All I can say is I disagree and I can with 100% confidence like Apple with or without a distributor you will Not see a lower price. Guaranteed! Seriously, can you Imagine Stern answering 10’s of Thousands of calls for orders, questions, parts, service, etc?? It takes a week to get a parts order completed!

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

again, I said NOT always true or most of the time. It all depends on the product or brand, but from my experience and from my business, buying direct is almost always cheaper than buying retail.
    I do not buy Apple products, but my kids do and I know my wife shops around and gets apple products much cheaper through other avenues than Apple. I know she got watches and ear buds at much lower prices than what Apple sells them for.

Sorry I think that’s why I’m so confused by your position. Apple Is the Direct OEM, Best Buy (IE one of their Distributors) will always be cheaper as you pointed out. Same as we see in Pinball was the only point.

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

The question is actually very simple, the answer is the hard part; what would the price be if there were no distros?
    We all know distros have a lower price for games (economics!), so if they didn't exist why would wouldn't the games be cheaper through them AKA cutting out the middle man.
    Again, there are tons of factors in this equation, but acting like you can't understand it at all is mind boggling.

So you don’t feel there would be Heavy costs incurred by the OEM (Stern if you will) to handle this direct business model? Those Thousands of machines out there don’t sell, support, or service themselves? Someone has to do it and Someone has to pay for it no? Do you think their service/support would Improve with this new undertaking in saving you the same 3-400$ you would have gotten from a distributor anyway? Just my view but having a worldwide distributor market of sales and service people could never be successfully captured by a boutique toy builder. Even more fun when there’s an economic swing (that never happens in business....) and they have to let go of 50 people every time. Heck, Apple is a Trillion dollar company and even They have a distributor network.

#150 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't know, which is why i said there are many factors and the answer isn't easy, and I am appreciating all your input.
    I'm just one person, and I've never needed a distro for any reason. You are one person, and have used them every time for multiple things, even setting up your games which may be a bit of a dick move at this point
    I'm sort of on the pro side where the people I know & myself don't need a distro but I know there's a large segment of people that do need that help. Now, help setting up a game could be watching a video on youtube, the same way my elliptical trainer came to me...so possible streamlining of many processes would be needed.
    I don't know aboot service becasue I don't need service, when I do I call Stern and the send me a new part. I see what you're saying if the distros are out there on the road all the time fixing problems.
    So how does JJP do it then? Or can they just because their volume is lower?

I think we are roughly on the same page. When you think about it as a less then Me business problem it makes sense. If everyone in this hobby was 100% self sufficient things could change a bit but I’m sure even you would agree buy some of the questions on this forum not Everyone is or will be at the same knowledge level. And as for the game setup, it was volunteered as a friend not a request. Sometimes people do kind things just because they are kind or appreciate your business not as a chore.

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from chooch:

Many of those services are because you purchased so many NIB machines in the past. I'm sure you are buddies with them as well because I am willing to bet if I purchased my next game off them I wouldn't get all those benefits. I have purchased a few NIB machines from a variety of distributors so can speak from experience. Just the way the world operates and it's fine. I only shop at one jewelry store now because I have spent a lot of money there over the years and they give me a nice discount on anything I buy.

Your possibly right but as you noted you shop from a “variety” of distributors so like most things in sales it’s an Earned appreciation for doing business. Not sure Anything on my list was all that special and at least for the distributors I mentioned using I am certain the would treat you the same for 1 purchase or 10. #KingPinGames doesn’t give back rubs until you qualify 8 purchases though. JK!

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

Damnit dude. My wife might see this and wonder why she isn't getting as many back rubs now.

My bad. I forgot what happens in the game room Stays in the game room! Lol.

There’s my point, I haven’t spent much more with Christopher Kingpin yet I feel like I’m buying from a friend I trust and can poke fun with. Amazing this hobby can be a lot of fun if you don’t take it to serious.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yelobird.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pricing-on-nib-stern?tu=Yelobird and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.