Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 177 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by King_Jelly
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Products (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Trekkie1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Time to do away with distributors

Costs would go up without distributors.

Stern makes the games and ships them out.

Distributors have the warehouse space to still be sitting on Wrestlemanias, Beatles, Guardians of Galaxy, Game of Thrones, etc. Stern doesn't have the space to store the games.

Plus, Stern isn't setup to sell directly to the consumer. They would need to hire more people to handle this. Shipping would be a nightmare for them.

Quick recap: Stern would need to hire more people, get a huge warehouse, charge more to cover the cost of unsold games, and overseas...I can't imagine the disaster that would be.

I think people are forgetting that every machine they make is sold. Their whole model is based on that. Once that changes, costs will need to go up to compensate for this.

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

You are aware that Stern drop ships many games direct to consumers already, right? Some distributors hold no stock.

How many are drop shipped overseas?

All the drop shipping is done by the distributors...they do the legwork for Stern.

I look at automated, Marco, coin taker, game exchange, little shop of games, game room guys, great American pinball etc. are all sitting on inventory...all that inventory is fully paid to Stern. Risk sits on the distributors to sell the games.

#98 4 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

I hear that has changed recently (partially due to state tax changes/regulations?).

Makes sense, but if the distributors are taking $500 per game and Stern produces 15,000 games per year, that's $7,500,000 in Stern's "pocket" (per year).
    I'm not saying it's desirable for Stern to change it's model, but the current model isn't "free"...

That $7,500,000 isn’t worth it to them...otherwise, they would’ve nuked the distributor model. I can’t imagine what their costs would be to get that last bit. They would need to be a world wide distributor, with tens of thousands of customers, and taking on all the risk for unsold inventory.

That’s why their model makes sense. Only dozens of customers that need to pay in full.

#104 4 years ago

This thread is anther perfect example of why economics needs to be taught in school.

Economics is a science. It's a crying shame that when I was in high school, I was forced to take chemistry, biology, earth sciences...yet, economics was an elective.

Retailers keep prices lower and can provide services manufacturers can't.

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Not necessarily true and ALL my game issues have been settled with the manufacturer and I have used many distributors.

It is 100% true that retailers keep prices lower.

#115 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

If 100% true than why 100% of the time do I get a better price direct than retailer??? In my experience 100% of the time I pay less direct than through retailer.

Give an example.

Is it the furniture places? The ones who advertised as direct, ship in the furniture, put it together there, then ship it to you.

I am 100% correct on this...it's called economics.

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Lord I have not bought furniture in years, but if you could buy direct from a furniture manufacturer then I promise you would save money over shopping at a retail store.
    Do you understand retail? Have you ever shopped at Best Buy? You can buy 98% of all that stuff cheaper by going direct. I do not think you understand the difference. I NEVER shop retail for the simple fact it can be gotten cheaper 99% of the time unless they have a strict contract with said retailer.

You are 100% incorrect.

In the manufacturing industry, they do not sell direct to customers. It wouldn't make sense for them...now they would need to carry inventory.

Any company that says they sell direct, I can guarantee are lying. It's like the furniture example I used.

Manufacturing companies are in the business of manufacturing...that's why they have retailers...this way 100% of what is manufactured is sold. I honestly don't understand what is so incredibly difficult to understand about this.

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Again, I said to him NOT always and in most cases. You go buy something at the Apple store, tell me what it is and how much you paid and I promise I will find it cheaper. Direct can also include wholesale distributor basically other than retail supply chain.
    Direct buying refers to the purchase of goods directly from manufacturers or distributors, bypassing the supply chain.
    You want distro's and I do not. I want the best possible bottom dollar price. I bought my JP Premium for $6700 NIB. I called every other distributor around and no one even got close to that. If I was able to get that price from a distributor imagine what a direct purchase could get me. These are expensive toys and I want the best possible price and I bargain shop everything.

It would be more money. All the risk is on the distributors, not stern. Before the machine is built, it is sold. That allows stern to keep their prices down. If they are going to stock thousands of unsold games, they need to pass down those costs to us.

#145 4 years ago
    Quoted from Happy81724:

Not sure if distributors purchase these pins from stern when they warehouse them but I If they then that’s a huge benefit to stern to take them off their books

Every game stern makes is sold.

The only time a game sits at Stern, is when it goes overseas. However, that game is already paid for.

IMO, Jersey Jack should go to 100% distributor model. If they have any games sitting in their warehouse, waiting to be sold, they are then losing money on the machine.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Trekkie1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pricing-on-nib-stern?tu=Trekkie1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.