Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 177 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by King_Jelly
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Products (resized).png

There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 4 years ago

Guys, Looking for the best pricing on NIB stern , you know...No tax and free shipping! Where do I look if I want to pull the trigger?
    Thanks

#2 4 years ago

Probably not exactly what you’re looking for, but if an expo is coming your way look for a show deal with any distributors that will be a part of the show. It’ll have a weekend of free play on it, but you’ll save a nice little chunk of change.

#3 4 years ago

That is for patient people though. Most people that purchase NIB machines are NOT PATIENT AT ALL.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from dyopp21:

It’ll have a weekend of free play on it, but you’ll save a nice little chunk of change.

Don't these show specials come with a reduced warranty? I just googled and didn't find any details, but I think I read about it here.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from caz1844:

Guys, Looking for the best pricing on NIB stern , you know...No tax and free shipping! Where do I look if I want to pull the trigger?
    Thanks

Ive bought three machines from Automated Services in Milford, CT. Always good results with Michael.

I know some people dont like them, not exactly sure why but I would check them out. I have always had good results..

#6 4 years ago

Automated Services and Pinball Dudes are the 2 best distributors I have ever used. Service, specials, and pricing where all fantastic.

#7 4 years ago

Sounds good, thanks for the recommendations fellas.

#8 4 years ago

https://www.revenue.pa.gov/generaltaxinformation/tax%20types%20and%20information/sut/usetax/pages/default.aspx

Whether you try to skirt it or not, you do still owe the sales tax to your state...

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Don't these show specials come with a reduced warranty? I just googled and didn't find any details, but I think I read about it here.

I don't know from personal experience but I'd be a little surprised. In general it seems like most of Stern's warranty service is provided outside of the (very skimpy) protections provided by the written warranty anyway. And they'll generally cover you even if you're not the first owner of the machine, so it would be strange if they made an exception for "show special" machines.

#10 4 years ago

Stern Has fixed Minimum pricing, So First I would say do you have a local dealer who does a good job taking care of there customers? If you do you should support them, and if you have issues they can support you. If not, there are several good distributors. Look at the sponsors of this site that you see on the banner ads as a good place to start.

Disclaimer - Yes I am Biased I am a distributor

JJ

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Stern Has fixed Minimum pricing

As a distributor, you'd know better than I, but in most industries, there's a minimum *advertised* price (MAP), but no such restrictions on actual selling price.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

As a distributor, you'd know better than I, but in most industries, there's a minimum *advertised* price (MAP), but no such restrictions on actual selling price.

Pinball has a MAP, and then a URMP aka Min Sales Price. Many industries have this, Computers, consumer electronics ect.

JJ

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

This

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

in most industries, there's a minimum *advertised* price (MAP), but no such restrictions on actual selling price.

Quoted from Gexchange:

Pinball has a MAP, and then a URMP aka Min Sales Price. Many industries have this, Computers, consumer electronics ect.
    JJ

There's a common misconception that it's an anti-trust violation for a manufacturer to set a minimum resale price for its products (understandable mistake since once upon a time this was considered a form of illegal price fixing, but the law changed decades ago). In fact, it's totally legal in the US for a company to set both a minimum advertised price and a minimum resale price. And if the manufacturer catches a distributor (a.k.a a retailer) selling below the minimum resale price, they can legally punish them in various ways, including refusing to sell them product to resell in the future.

Video game consoles and iPhones are good examples -- they're pretty much always the same price everywhere, and when they go on sale they go on sale everywhere for the same sale price. And that's because those manufacturers keep very tight control over pricing of their product. Evidently Stern decided a few years back it was in their best interest to do the same, and that's been the way of the world ever since.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from caz1844:

Where do I look if I want to pull the trigger?

Think about your needs. And your abilities to set up and maintain a pinball machine.

Do you want it cheaper ?

Or do you want a distributor that helps you before, during, and after the sale ? Especially if a warranty issue arises, or later if you need service on the game.

Best wishes on your decision and your new game.

LTG : )

#16 4 years ago

Trent at Tilt or Chris at Coin Taker

#17 4 years ago

If Stern has fixed min pricing you would never know. I can call 6 different distributors and odds are I will get 6 different prices.

I know everyone asked "do you want a distro that helps before, during, and after the sale?" From my experience you always get help before the sale and some during and almost NONE after. I have purchased from at least 8 different distributors and that is the way it goes. Some are friends of mine but you can't expect a distributor to drive hours to fix a NIB game that shows up dead or broke. 9 times out of 10 they just send you to Stern tech support which is fine, because I have had great luck with Stern tech. A great example is with all the bad playfields - I have not heard of any distributors going above and beyond to get folks a new populated playfield or volunteering to do a playfield swap. I find the best deal and let it rip if I want NIB.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

If Stern has fixed min pricing you would never know. I can call 6 different distributors and odds are I will get 6 different prices.
    I know everyone asked "do you want a distro that helps before, during, and after the sale?" From my experience you always get help before the sale and some during and almost NONE after. I have purchased from at least 8 different distributors and that is the way it goes. Some are friends of mine but you can't expect a distributor to drive hours to fix a NIB game that shows up dead or broke. 9 times out of 10 they just send you to Stern tech support which is fine, because I have had great luck with Stern tech. A great example is with all the bad playfields - I have not heard of any distributors going above and beyond to get folks a new populated playfield or volunteering to do a playfield swap. I find the best deal and let it rip if I want NIB.

Might want to ask around on going above and beyond. There are several of us who have, and worked tirelessly to get playfields replaced for our customers when there was issues, or when the cabinets were failing. Service is very important, what do you do if you have a freight claim, or pf issue ect.. A good distributor has the contacts and the hammer to get things taken care of sometimes you the end user can't.

JJ

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

JJ

JJ,
    Perhaps you can shed some light on something I recently experienced. I found a distributor that had a TWD pro NIB in stock. I've done business with them in the past and they've been good to me. Because of this, I was floored when he wanted several hundred over MAP for it when I was normally given a less than MAP deal on all my previous purchases. Is there some rule that will allow that to happen? Might Stern be able to moderate that? Figured I'd ask here since the info may benefit us all.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Might want to ask around on going above and beyond. There are several of us who have, and worked tirelessly to get playfields replaced for our customers when there was issues, or when the cabinets were failing. Service is very important, what do you do if you have a freight claim, or pf issue ect.. A good distributor has the contacts and the hammer to get things taken care of sometimes you the end user can't.
    JJ

Completely agree with this. Some of us go way above and beyond to make the customer whole. Just selling product is easy, the great distro backs it up even if it costs them.

Zach
    Flip N Out Pinball

#21 4 years ago

If you want the best pricing then be a good customer and support a good distributor instead of bouncing around every release to save $100.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Yep prices are all over.. usually pros from 5200-5600 ,premiums from 7000-7500 ,le from 8400-9000 all depends on demand and how new the title is. Also different prices on jjp pins .

#23 4 years ago

Does Stern adjust the minimum price for slower selling titles or do they hold the line regardless?

#24 4 years ago

Bad PF replacement would be just aboot the only thing I'd really need in "customer service" I can think of; but everyone is diff'rent.

I have my friends say "I won't use those fucks at Verizon becasue their costumer service is terrible!" Think I've had to call them like once in 10 years so it doesn't really affect me. Maybe I'm just lucky.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

JJ,
    Perhaps you can shed some light on something I recently experienced. I found a distributor that had a TWD pro NIB in stock. I've done business with them in the past and they've been good to me. Because of this, I was floored when he wanted several hundred over MAP for it when I was normally given a less than MAP deal on all my previous purchases. Is there some rule that will allow that to happen? Might Stern be able to moderate that? Figured I'd ask here since the info may benefit us all.

So I can only Speculate.. We can sell for any price above Min Price, thats up to us. My guess is they have some of the very few left that they made an investment in for when the market dries up they will have a few extra to sell at higher price. Nope Stern will not step in on that. Its simple Supply and demand, they are expecting the supply is less then the demand for that game and well they have the supply.

JJ

#26 4 years ago

The best price is the one you never talk about...

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from jarozi:

Does Stern adjust the minimum price for slower selling titles or do they hold the line regardless?

Very Rarely in my experience. But anytime a price increase happens older games are retroactively increased as well. For example Deadpool went up $100 this year as well.
    JJP, American, and CGC all have similar sales policies

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

First I would say do you have a local dealer who does a good job taking care of their customers? If you do you should support them, and if you have issues they can support you. If not, there are several good distributors that are sponsors of this site.

Or just go with the distributor that hosts the best parties in his suite at Pinball Expo.

#29 4 years ago

People are crazy if they think everyone is paying the same price for NIB. That wound be like me expecting to get the same pricing as Greg off Zach.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

JJ

JJ, I do not want to get into this with you, but I know 100% a MET pro with bad playfield came from you many years ago and the buyer had to wait 2 years to get a replacement from Stern. That is not exactly bangin out some service. It was probably Stern slowing it down, but as a distributor you are just as limited as we are in most cases. Like I said, I have not heard of any distributors doing playfield swaps or buying fully populated playfields for these poor dudes with garbage playfields. IMO, find best deal and go with that.

Freight claim is easy, just decline the shipment and when it returns back to Stern they ship another out. Happened to me and several buddies.

PF issues, almost everyone I know worked with Stern/JJP directly to get things done back in the day. Now good luck as i have heard it is almost impossible to get a populated playfield.

I have worked with lots of distributors and can honestly say no one has dazzled me with any special service. I have gotten fantastic deals by wiring cash, free shipping, other discounts, etc... but nothing completely amazing on service.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Yep prices are all over.. usually pros from 5200-5600 ,premiums from 7000-7500 ,le from 8400-9000 all depends on demand and how new the title is. Also different prices on jjp pins .

or less than these minimums. I have been offered some pretty low pricing

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Quoted from chooch:

People are crazy if they think everyone is paying the same price for NIB.

No one is saying all distributors price the same, there's no maximum price so distributors can price as high as they like, just not below the minimum resale price. So there will be a range of prices out there, it's just that the lowest price you find by calling around is likely to be the minimum resale price (unless you find a distributor that's breaking Stern's floor, in which case they're presumably risking Stern cutting them off in the future).

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Yep.... but in general this is what u hear if you call around from my experience and others I know.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

No one is saying all distributors price the same, there's no maximum price so distributors can price as high as they like, just not below the minimum resale price. So there will be a range of prices out there, it's just that the lowest price you find by calling around is likely to be the minimum resale price (unless you find a distributor that's breaking Stern's floor, in which case they're presumably risking Stern cutting them off in the future).

True but I believe the minimum for pros was supposed to be 5600 until the recent 100 price hike.

#35 4 years ago

Also shipping and taxes are charged by some and not others.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Me too. Pro's in the $4850 range and premiums at $6800. Just do your homework.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

yep

#38 4 years ago

Paying with cash/check goes a long way, maybe get you a $200 discount on a $8k machine.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Impressive. Was that for JP or Stranger Things?

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Impressive. Was that for JP or Stranger Things?

I did not price a Stranger Things. I did pay $6800 for a new in the box premium about 9 months ago, no tax, no shipping needed.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

JJ, I do not want to get into this with you, but I know 100% a MET pro with bad playfield came from you many years ago and the buyer had to wait 2 years to get a replacement from Stern. That is not exactly bangin out some service. It was probably Stern slowing it down, but as a distributor you are just as limited as we are in most cases. Like I said, I have not heard of any distributors doing playfield swaps or buying fully populated playfields for these poor dudes with garbage playfields. IMO, find best deal and go with that.
    Freight claim is easy, just decline the shipment and when it returns back to Stern they ship another out. Happened to me and several buddies.
    PF issues, almost everyone I know worked with Stern/JJP directly to get things done back in the day. Now good luck as i have heard it is almost impossible to get a populated playfield.
    I have worked with lots of distributors and can honestly say no one has dazzled me with any special service. I have gotten fantastic deals by wiring cash, free shipping, other discounts, etc... but nothing completely amazing on service.

I would have to look into that Metallica to know more. I don’t think I had any Metallica’s that took that long. I did have a few Star Wars that took 10 months to get playfield swaps but they were minor and the customer had assurances from stern and my self they would get one so they were able to keep playing and enjoying their games knowing they would get brand new playfield.

I’m not saying I’m the only one who tried and go the extra mile. But I’ve also heard horror stories about, “sorry I don’t make the games I only sell them call Stern, JJp, Cgc ect” I have even had to step in few times to order advanced replacements for pinsiders who’s dealers who wouldn’t take the time to help there customers and stern was requiring it to be done by a dealer due parts having to be returned.

I’m glad you have been lucky. Others have not been.

JJ

#42 4 years ago

I paid $5,600 for my last nib pro from Trent at tilt in ohio.We bought 8 nib from him in the last few years..great guy to deal with

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Or just go with the distributor that hosts the best parties in his suite at Pinball Expo.

Ps I happen to know The manufactures check pricing. Remember Sterns send us a copy of your invoice get a free t shirt offer that they ran shortly after the new pricing program went into effect?

They also all secrete shop and call around. One manufacture told me they have a burner cell phone just for that purpose. For us it’s just not worth the risk. We play by the rules, I don’t need a target my back been doing this to many years.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

What was wrong with the playfield?

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Damn...I'd love to find a NIB Munsters Premium for that price. That pin considered a 'slow seller'?

#46 4 years ago

No kidding! I am looking to buy a Star Wars Pro or a Jurassic Park Pro and there are no deals to be had, lol.

#47 4 years ago

Best price on a nib Stern ... was on the last one you bought.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Ever see good deals on LE’s?

#49 4 years ago

Since nobody has said it...

Qualify for stern rewards and you'll get a nice discount on one game a year.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

JJ

This! JJ and GEX have been fantastic. Helped resolve issues after they manifested in a couple of our NIB games. Plus the level of integrity I've experienced when dealing with JJ is second to none. Buy w/confidence.

There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pricing-on-nib-stern?hl=davisjl1979 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.