Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 177 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by King_Jelly
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Products (resized).png
    There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

And as for the game setup, it was volunteered as a friend not a request. Sometimes people do kind things just because they are kind or appreciate your business not as a chore.

Sounds like some distro has a lot of free time

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from chooch:

Many of those services are because you purchased so many NIB machines in the past. I'm sure you are buddies with them as well because I am willing to bet if I purchased my next game off them I wouldn't get all those benefits. I have purchased a few NIB machines from a variety of distributors so can speak from experience. Just the way the world operates and it's fine. I only shop at one jewelry store now because I have spent a lot of money there over the years and they give me a nice discount on anything I buy.

Your possibly right but as you noted you shop from a “variety” of distributors so like most things in sales it’s an Earned appreciation for doing business. Not sure Anything on my list was all that special and at least for the distributors I mentioned using I am certain the would treat you the same for 1 purchase or 10. #KingPinGames doesn’t give back rubs until you qualify 8 purchases though. JK!

#153 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Your possibly right but as you noted you shop from a “variety” of distributors so like most things in sales it’s an Earned appreciation for doing business. Not sure Anything on my list was all that special and at least for the distributors I mentioned using I am certain the would treat you the same for 1 purchase or 10. #KingPinGames doesn’t give back rubs until you qualify 8 purchases though. JK!

Some of the variety was not intentional. For example I couldn't buy Sterns off Jack once he started JJP. And I did have a single distributor for a while and purchased number of games off them however left due to the fact I didn't get any earned appreciation for my past business.

Quoted from Yelobird:

I'm a bit curious... Of the 98% Best Buy products What do you buy direct?? I honestly can't think of one unless Sony or Samsung have some back door I haven't seen?

Because of the industry I work in I am able to purchase many appliances directly from the manufacturer. Most just limit the number of items you can purchase per year. However I have found sometimes I can get better deals at the big box stores when they are having a good sale versus buying direct.

#154 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Damnit dude. My wife might see this and wonder why she isn't getting as many back rubs now.

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

Damnit dude. My wife might see this and wonder why she isn't getting as many back rubs now.

My bad. I forgot what happens in the game room Stays in the game room! Lol.

There’s my point, I haven’t spent much more with Christopher Kingpin yet I feel like I’m buying from a friend I trust and can poke fun with. Amazing this hobby can be a lot of fun if you don’t take it to serious.

#156 4 years ago
    Quoted from aztarac:

Damn - wish that was true for me. I ordered one from him last week that was shipped on Thursday. Instead of coming 6 hours north, it went east to KC and is now sitting in Minneapolis.....

Humm this concerns me. Call me in morning 303-931-3685. I need to get involved.

#157 4 years ago

Such fun here! Prices seem to be +/-10%. Thats kinda it. Everyone needs to earn a living.

Time for my favorite graphic:

Products (resized).pngProducts (resized).png
    #158 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Not sure if they are Required but I see them as valuable and appreciated by me. A Few (not all) of the services the distributors I use include:
    Notifying me of new title releases so I don’t have to read Pinside 24/7
    Contacting me when there are software updates available.
    Assistant with delivery often even setup just because they appreciate my business..
    Notification of recall type issues or machine updates
    Priority repeat business for new release waiting list contact.
    Assistance with consignment flips of games that need a new home.
    Assistance with product issues and replacements warranty or other.
    Continuous feedback and status on new purchases.
    Honest feedback on game value and playability.
    Most often discounted from OEM pricing without pan handling dozens of dealers. Honest best price, done without asking.
    LE or CE type unit number special requests. (OCD thing lol)
    Minor feedback (speculation) on potential future titles.
    Trade show special events
    Trade show test drive of the new titles to assist in a major buying decision.
    Assistance in hunting for out of production titles or wish list toys.
    Contact on show special pricing events.
    A shoulder (friend) to cry on for issues or bad pinball decisions.
    I am sure I could come up with Dozens more value added services these distributors provide or I bug them with but I can say with confidence if you find the Right distributor (not all are created equal) you might be surprised at how hard they work in appreciation of your business!

Well said. This pretty much sums it up.

#159 4 years ago

Oops.. double post

#160 4 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

That is for patient people though. Most people that purchase NIB machines are NOT PATIENT AT ALL.

Nor are they financially savvy. LOL

#161 4 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Nor are they financially savvy. LOL

or just have more money than sense. I also used to know lots of guys who supported the hobby off credit cards. Would buy the latest and greatest LE on credit, play it for a couple months and sell it at a small loss and then on to the next.

#162 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I did not price a Stranger Things. I did pay $6800 for a new in the box premium about 9 months ago, no tax, no shipping needed.

How do you buy a NIB game and pay no tax? What legit business is selling NIB games and not collecting tax?

#163 4 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

How do you buy a NIB game and pay no tax? What legit business is selling NIB games and not collecting tax?

buy out of state

#164 4 years ago

As someone gearing up to purchase their first game, I am a bit confused by what I am reading in this thread and it surely may jut be my ignorance. I am getting the gist from reading this thread (and not just from this forum) that businesses such as Coin Taker, Tilt, Game Room Guys are considered distributors, and NOT retailers. Is this correct? Or are they considered both?

I inquire because if I execute a distributor search on Stern's website, none of the aforementioned businesses come up as distributors within their respective states. For example, I am located in Michigan. The distributor search on Stern's site returns only two "distributors" and Game Room Guys is not one of them. Therefore, shouldn't GRG be considered a retailer?

I went to the respective website of each Michigan distributor listed on the Stern distributor search result page (only two were listed) and neither appeared to sell directly to the consumer. On the flip side, Game Exchange in Colorado does come up as a distributor and they also sell games direct to consumers. Based on reading this thread, should I call the Michigan distributors to inquire about selling me a machine directly because I may receive a better price than Game Room Guys?

I hope this makes sense. I am just trying to discern the difference between a retailer and a distributor within the realm of pinball sales.

#165 4 years ago
    Quoted from happyhour1973:

As someone gearing up to purchase their first game, I am a bit confused by what I am reading in this thread and it surely may jut be my ignorance. I am getting the gist from reading this thread (and not just from this forum) that businesses such as Coin Taker, Tilt, Game Room Guys are considered distributors, and NOT retailers. Is this correct? Or are they considered both?
    I inquire because if I execute a distributor search on Stern's website, none of the aforementioned businesses come up as distributors within their respective states. For example, I am located in Michigan. The distributor search on Stern's site returns only two "distributors" and Game Room Guys is not one of them. Therefore, shouldn't GRG be considered a retailer?
    I went to the respective website of each Michigan distributor listed on the Stern distributor search result page (only two were listed) and neither appeared to sell directly to the consumer. On the flip side, Game Exchange in Colorado does come up as a distributor and they also sell games direct to consumers. Based on reading this thread, should I call the Michigan distributors to inquire about selling me a machine directly because I may receive a better price than Game Room Guys?
    I hope this makes sense. I am just trying to discern the difference between a retailer and a distributor within the realm of pinball sales.

I think you may have clicked the wrong search bar on their website.

https://sternpinball.com/find-a-dealer/

Works for me

#166 4 years ago

Buy out of state and hope you can negotiate NO TAX.

#167 4 years ago

From my experience, call as many dealers as possible and you will end up with a decent price. Buy out of state and you will not pay tax and try to work free shipping in on your deal. Lots of places have deals if you pay cash (wire money), so use that to your advantage.

#168 4 years ago
    Quoted from Oaken:

I think you may have clicked the wrong search bar on their website.
    https://sternpinball.com/find-a-dealer/
    Works for me

There are dealers and then there are distributors. Stern provides a search for both. The term distributor is thrown around quite a lot on Pinside (e.g. "call multiple distributors for best prices), but companies such as Game Room Guys, Coin Taker, Tilt, etc., are considered dealers. I am just seeking clarity on what the term distributor is typically used for in pinball sales parlance.

#169 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

From my experience, call as many dealers as possible and you will end up with a decent price. Buy out of state and you will not pay tax and try to work free shipping in on your deal. Lots of places have deals if you pay cash (wire money), so use that to your advantage.

Thank you. I believe now I understand that if the word distributor is used it mainly relates to a dealer/retailer.

#170 4 years ago

Thank you. I believe now I understand that if the word distributor is used it mainly relates to a dealer/retailer.

pretty much, but if you are like me and want the best price, call everyone and have cash/wire ready. It helps

#171 4 years ago

Straight cash homie

#172 4 years ago

Buying out of state does not men you do not have to pay tax. If you live in a state that has 0 distributors you would be eligible for no tax purchase. You however are technically supposed to report the no tax purchase on you taxes and would pay tax there. Most places are not going to check all of this and will give you the discount. Greatest example 5 years ago everything on amazon was tax free. Now if there is a distributor in your state for product you purchase, amazon will collect tax on it. It’s a weird law/rule that no one really follows but is becoming harder and harder to get away with.

1 week later
    #173 4 years ago

OK, I am going to eat crow here. I was kind of hard on dealers but just heard some pretty amazing news from a really close friend of mine. People also need to consider that MOST dealers would NOT do this and I personally have never heard of a dealer doing this. My friend is also a good customer so I am sure that always makes a difference and another reason to probably settle in with 1 dealer and keep giving them your business. This is a model that I for sure have never followed as I always bounce around from dealer to dealer who has the best price.

He bought a deadpool from zach, apparently it has some playfield issues (do not know all the details). Zach is picking it up saturday morning and having a new machine shipped in when available. That is some pretty darn good service. Like I had previously said, I had never heard of a dealer going to any great lengths to help out a customer but this is pretty stellar. Not to mention my friend is in Nashville and Zach has pretty decent haul to come pick it up and get it back home. The fact he did not leave it up to Stern to make right and he is gong to take on the responsibility himself says a lot. Major kudos to you zach!

#174 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

OK, I am going to eat crow here. I was kind of hard on dealers but just heard some pretty amazing news from a really close friend of mine. People also need to consider that MOST dealers would NOT do this and I personally have never heard of a dealer doing this. My friend is also a good customer so I am sure that always makes a difference and another reason to probably settle in with 1 dealer and keep giving them your business. This is a model that I for sure have never followed as I always bounce around from dealer to dealer who has the best price.
    He bought a deadpool from zach, apparently it has some playfield issues (do not know all the details). Zach is picking it up saturday morning and having a new machine shipped in when available. That is some pretty darn good service. Like I had previously said, I had never heard of a dealer going to any great lengths to help out a customer but this is pretty stellar. Not to mention my friend is in Nashville and Zach has pretty decent haul to come pick it up and get it back home. The fact he did not leave it up to Stern to make right and he is gong to take on the responsibility himself says a lot. Major kudos to you zach!

Good stuff !

#175 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Thank you Woody, that means a lot buddy. We try to practice the golden rule, even when our financial advisor and accountant don’t agree. Hahaha to hell with them, they don’t understand the love of pinball.

#176 4 years ago

Marshall is the best I've dealt with in my 25 years of collecting!

1 month later
    #177 4 years ago
    Quoted from sepins:

Marshall is the best I've dealt with in my 25 years of collecting!

Thank you Paul. Be safe, and see you and the family soon.

There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pricing-on-nib-stern/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.