Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 177 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by King_Jelly
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Products (resized).png

There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

There's a common misconception that it's an anti-trust violation for a manufacturer to set a minimum resale price for its products (understandable mistake since once upon a time this was considered a form of illegal price fixing, but the law changed decades ago). In fact, it's totally legal in the US for a company to set both a minimum advertised price and a minimum resale price. And if the manufacturer catches a distributor (a.k.a a retailer) selling below the minimum resale price, they can legally punish them in various ways, including refusing to sell them product to resell in the future.
    Video game consoles and iPhones are good examples -- they're pretty much always the same price everywhere, and when they go on sale they go on sale everywhere for the same sale price. And that's because those manufacturers keep very tight control over pricing of their product. Evidently Stern decided a few years back it was in their best interest to do the same, and that's been the way of the world ever since.

Stores get around this by giving away free stuff with your purchase. Like say spend $6500 (full retail) on a pinball machine and get a $1000 gift card towards your next purchase. You see this all the time with the items you mentioned. Buy a new switch for 299 and get a 60 dollar game free. Buy this phone and get wireless headphones free. Yes they had to abide by MSRP but get around it with the freebies. My pinball machine I got a small discount for cash purchase. I believe there was a small discount for veteren. And I still got them to throw in a free printed manual (although its been almost 9 months and havnt recieved it. Maybe its time for a call)

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from GnarLee:

Stores get around this by giving away free stuff with your purchase. Like say spend $6500 (full retail) on a pinball machine and get a $1000 gift card towards your next purchase. You see this all the time with the items you mentioned. Buy a new switch for 299 and get a 60 dollar game free. Buy this phone and get wireless headphones free. Yes they had to abide by MSRP but get around it with the freebies. My pinball machine I got a small discount for cash purchase. I believe there was a small discount for veteren. And I still got them to throw in a free printed manual (although its been almost 9 months and havnt recieved it. Maybe its time for a call)

Most pinball manufactures closed this loop hole about 2 years ago. No inclusions expect for free shipping are allowed. Different rules for each.

#53 4 years ago

How do some distributors offer complete free shipping and others charge 500+?

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Ps I happen to know The manufactures check pricing. Remember Sterns send us a copy of your invoice get a free t shirt offer that they ran shortly after the new pricing program went into effect?
    They also all secrete shop and call around. One manufacture told me they have a burner cell phone just for that purpose. For us it’s just not worth the risk. We play by the rules, I don’t need a target my back been doing this to many years.

I sent in a few of those and never got a single t-shirt! I think you're right and it was never about the t-shirt.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Might want to ask around on going above and beyond. There are several of us who have, and worked tirelessly to get playfields replaced for our customers when there was issues, or when the cabinets were failing. Service is very important, what do you do if you have a freight claim, or pf issue ect.. A good distributor has the contacts and the hammer to get things taken care of sometimes you the end user can't.
    JJ

This is 100% the truth when buying from JJ. Speaking from multiple experiences.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Most pinball manufactures closed this loop hole about 2 years ago. No inclusions expect for free shipping are allowed. Different rules for each.

So how did I get other discounts? People who think that a distro has to sell something a particular way is wrong. Maybe I just negotiate better than most. for example I have never paid more than 75% of the msrp on a brand new car. The only thing that the distro is liable for is the actual purchase price of the machine everything above and beyond comes out of the distro bottom line. So across the board you are probably allowed to give say no more than a 10% discount on the physical machine. I got this via a cash purchase discount and a veteran discount. I also did not pay shipping. I got a free manual (calling today) and a couple super cheap tshirts (which I forgot about). Sellers are not going to tell you all the stuff you can ask for as it ultimately affect their bottom line and not jjp stern spooky ect. Next time your buying a car get them to their "cost" (it isnt) and then start asking for random addons. my first new car was 21k msrp I paid 13500 out the door with free fog lights added. First car got totaled (not my fault) so wasnt in the negotiating position but still got down to "cost" and got free lifetime sirius/xm radio on second car. 3rd car MSRP 44k paid right at 30 with extras ( this one took 6 months of negotiations). All brand new vehicles and no lot specials (like new cars that have had hail damage repair). It never hurts to ask about things and be patient with large purchases you will be surprised on what you can get.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

What was wrong with the playfield?

it was the MET manufactured in April of 2013 or 2014 (can't remember) the art literally popped off the playfield all around the magnet, the orbit where the ball exited the shooter lane, etc.. I also got one from that run and it was a nightmare. A 4 inch area around the magnet had NO artwork left. GONE! Look up some old threads to see pictures. Stern made it right but took forever in most cases.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

No kidding! I am looking to buy a Star Wars Pro or a Jurassic Park Pro and there are no deals to be had, lol.

CALL everyone, do not email, call every vendor and learn to negotiate.

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

CALL everyone, do not email, call every vendor and learn to negotiate.

Or simply don’t buy anything. Save money.

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Or simply don’t buy anything. Save money.

or this! I went 3 years without buying a NIB because I got sick of all the manufacturer crap. Price up, quality down, less service, etc... blah blah blah.

I was patient and just bought used bang for buck games and then JP came out. I had to get a premium, it is just too good.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

or this! I went 3 years without buying a NIB because I got sick of all the manufacturer crap. Price up, quality down, less service, etc... blah blah blah.
    I was patient and just bought used bang for buck games and then JP came out. I had to get a premium, it is just too good.

Yup JP premium would already be in my game room but to nervous with quality. I’ll check again in summer, have my distributor unbox for inspection then maybe I’ll snag one. Been buying used games meeting cool people.

#62 4 years ago

Yup JP premium would already be in my game room but to nervous with quality. I’ll check again in summer, have my distributor unbox for inspection then maybe I’ll snag one. Been buying used games meeting cool people.

lightly used is way to go and is actually what I called about and it had already sold so I got NIB for same price. I had him open box and check it out and send pics.

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from GnarLee:

So how did I get other discounts? People who think that a distro has to sell something a particular way is wrong.

Try to understand what the penalties are and how any violations might be discovered. You can’t drive 36 in a 35 zone. You can’t rob a bank. Of course those things are physically possible. There may be a penalty to pay. Every situation is different.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

No inclusions expect for free shipping are allowed.

I heard that free shipping and extended warranties can't be done for some ?

LTG : )

#65 4 years ago

Well, if any distributor wants to sell me a Stern Jurassic Park Pro for $5000 total or less, shipped, drop me a line. Your secret is safe with me!

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I heard that free shipping and extended warranties can't be done for some ?
    LTG : )

Correct.. Differs by manufacturer.. JJP you can't include shipping has to be shown as a spertate item

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Well, if any distributor wants to sell me a Stern Jurassic Park Pro for $5000 total or less, shipped, drop me a line. Your secret is safe with me!

You gotta understand.. What you asked is does anyone want to sell me a JP pro at a loss? Everyone thinks there are huge margins in these games. There is not. only hope of getting anywhere close to this would be a show deal because Stern helps with those to help support shows, and stoke sales.

JJ

#68 4 years ago

Amazon, free ship, ext warranty. Not great price tho

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

You gotta understand.. What you asked is does anyone want to sell me a JP pro at a loss? Everyone thinks there are huge margins in these games. There is not. only hope of getting anywhere close to this would be a show deal because Stern helps with those to help support shows, and stoke sales.
    JJ

It was more tongue in cheek directed at the people saying they are getting games for $4800.

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

If Stern has fixed min pricing you would never know. I can call 6 different distributors and odds are I will get 6 different prices.
    I know everyone asked "do you want a distro that helps before, during, and after the sale?" From my experience you always get help before the sale and some during and almost NONE after. I have purchased from at least 8 different distributors and that is the way it goes. Some are friends of mine but you can't expect a distributor to drive hours to fix a NIB game that shows up dead or broke. 9 times out of 10 they just send you to Stern tech support which is fine, because I have had great luck with Stern tech. A great example is with all the bad playfields - I have not heard of any distributors going above and beyond to get folks a new populated playfield or volunteering to do a playfield swap. I find the best deal and let it rip if I want NIB.

Totes McGoats.
    This is the only answer

#71 4 years ago

$500 is the "profit margin" on a game

Below that, taking a dump or special pricing.

Does $500 matter to you when you go to resell a game? You will lose another grand or more right now on EVERY game.

Choose wisely what you buy and how much you pay.

Stern has slowly eroded the demand in the FUTURE. Yes they captured 100% of the flipper profit since Metallica and then some, but by doing so they are cratering the secondary market and eventually NIB sales.

Another $100 price increase nail in the coffin.

Yeah i know, record sales. But, "past performance is not indicative of future results"

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I don't know from personal experience but I'd be a little surprised. In general it seems like most of Stern's warranty service is provided outside of the (very skimpy) protections provided by the written warranty anyway. And they'll generally cover you even if you're not the first owner of the machine, so it would be strange if they made an exception for "show special" machines.

I'm the 3rd owner of an xmen le that was 7 years old and Stern warrantied a board that was a known problem.

#73 4 years ago

I'm not sure I get the point of this thread.
    If I understand correctly it's stated we don't need distributors because you can buy a machine as a show special.
    The problem with that statement is the people selling the machines as show specials are in fact distributors...

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from BobC:

I'm not sure I get the point of this thread. If I understand correctly it's stated we don't need distributors because you can buy a machine as a show special. The problem with that statement is the people selling the machines as show specials are in fact distributors...

I don't think that was OP's intention in starting the thread -- he's not trying to get around using a distributor (and why would he?), he just wants to find the cheapest possible price on a NIB game. And of course Stern only sells games through distributors, no direct-to-consumer sales. So if you buy a "new" game, whether it's NIB or a "show special," you're buying from a distributor.

#75 4 years ago

Marco brings new pins to the Southern Fried Game Expo in Atlanta. It is coming up. Pick up there and no shipping fees.

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from timtim:

Since nobody has said it...
    Qualify for stern rewards and you'll get a nice discount on one game a year.

I was good until I read the qualifications. LOL.

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitoska:

I paid $5,600 for my last nib pro from Trent at tilt in ohio.We bought 8 nib from him in the last few years..great guy to deal with

I talked to Trent last week. He was a really nice guy and very responsive. Flip N Out and Cointaker were very responsive as well. The other distributors I've called have been a struggle. They seem to only respond a third of the time. And when I ask a question they go silent.

#78 4 years ago

Jonathan at ASOA in Florida has always given me a great price and treated me right

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from Looprunner:

I talked to Trent last week. He was a really nice guy and very responsive. Flip N Out was very responsive as well. The other distributors I've called have been a struggle. They seem to only respond a third of the time. And when I ask a question they go silent.

Never had this problem, but sounds like you at least found two good distributors to buy from. What question did you ask before the others went silent?

#80 4 years ago

Okay, if you were to buy a NIB Jurassic Park Pro, what would you guys be paying? I understand the minimum advertised price is $5899 but are you guys getting these cheaper with goodies beyond free shipping, how much are you paying?

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Okay, if you were to buy a NIB Jurassic Park Pro, what would you guys be paying? I understand the minimum advertised price is $5899 but are you guys getting these cheaper with goodies beyond free shipping, how much are you paying?

$5600 shipped.

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

Never had this problem, but sounds like you at least found two good distributors to buy from. What question did you ask before the others went silent?

I asked various questions about cost and availability depending on the conversation. LOL. I'm serious. I've had some bad luck with distributors. Yes, I did find a few.

#83 4 years ago

Time to do away with distributors

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from Happy81724:

Jonathan at ASOA in Florida has always given me a great price and treated me right

I have also had great experience with Jonathan at ASOA.

#85 4 years ago

So that Stern can charge you the same price directly, and that you'll have far less bargaining power if something goes wrong with your machine? It's not like Stern is facing price pressure from competitors, so what makes you think any cost savings of eliminating the distributor network would be passed on to customers?

#86 4 years ago

The minimum advertised price for NIB Jurassic Park Pro is $5899 but are you guys getting these cheaper?

Quoted from tbutler6:

$5600 shipped.

That would be a reasonable price from a reputable dealer.
    But nobody wants to overpay, and people think they are when some braggart makes a post like the one below.

Quoted from GnarLee:

People who think that a distro has to sell something a particular way is wrong. Maybe I just negotiate better than most.

#87 4 years ago

You could PM Tommy-dog - he reported buying NIB recently for way below what everyone else in this thread has discussed, and might be willing to share details offline.

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from tbutler6:

$5600 shipped.

Was your $5600 shipped quote within the past month? I think Stern MAP is now $5799.

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

JJ

I will say this for Gexchange - years ago there was this Metallica LE that went nuts dealers were doing all sort of stuff that was shady all these orders got canceled my game showed up very little history with Gexchange he was on a cruise and still answered me daily about that my order was secure and that he only sold what he had... I have since started to support my local dealers because they support our shows but will never forget how well this transaction went vs. the others.

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Was your $5600 shipped quote within the past month? I think Stern MAP is now $5799.

Lol.

#91 4 years ago

The best I have found is 5700 shipped. Apparently, people are getting better deals than myself. If there's a distributor that can give me Jurassic Park or Deadpool Pro at a super awesome price within driving distance of Western Pennsylvania, send me a message. I'll pick it up tomorrow LOL. If not, I'm ordering one to be shipped on Monday.

#92 4 years ago

Most of the distros are going to have very similar pricing. I just work with people I like and trust. Yes a few long term customers may get slightly better pricing but it wont be that much off. You always see people claiming that they paid X and most are flat out lying, are best buddies with a distro and get an inside deal, or are talking about a game they bought 3 years ago like it happened this week.

Stern keeps most of the distribution very much inline. Some like automated might have enough clout to be able to undercut a little but they also are the dealer that ends up with half the WWELE and KISSLE's that get made. They have the storage and capital to be able to sit on slow sellers for years when distributors cannot.

#93 4 years ago

Costs would go up without distributors.

Stern makes the games and ships them out.

Distributors have the warehouse space to still be sitting on Wrestlemanias, Beatles, Guardians of Galaxy, Game of Thrones, etc. Stern doesn't have the space to store the games.

Plus, Stern isn't setup to sell directly to the consumer. They would need to hire more people to handle this. Shipping would be a nightmare for them.

Quick recap: Stern would need to hire more people, get a huge warehouse, charge more to cover the cost of unsold games, and overseas...I can't imagine the disaster that would be.

I think people are forgetting that every machine they make is sold. Their whole model is based on that. Once that changes, costs will need to go up to compensate for this.

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Distributors have the warehouse space to still be sitting on Wrestlemanias, Beatles, Guardians of Galaxy, Game of Thrones, etc. Stern doesn't have the space to store the games.
    Plus, Stern isn't setup to sell directly to the consumer. They would need to hire more people to handle this. Shipping would be a nightmare for them.
    Quick recap: Stern would need to hire more people, get a huge warehouse, charge more to cover the cost of unsold games, and overseas...I can't imagine the disaster that would be.
    I think people are forgetting that every machine they make is sold. Their whole model is based on that. Once that changes, costs will need to go up to compensate for this.

Ok I totally understand. I don’t know the whole game of distribution. My Super Chexx was bought factory direct, that worked out fine.

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

You are aware that Stern drop ships many games direct to consumers already, right? Some distributors hold no stock.

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

You are aware that Stern drop ships many games direct to consumers already, right? Some distributors hold no stock.

I hear that has changed recently (partially due to state tax changes/regulations?).

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Makes sense, but if the distributors are taking $500 per game and Stern produces 15,000 games per year, that's $7,500,000 in Stern's "pocket" (per year).

I'm not saying it's desirable for Stern to change it's model, but the current model isn't "free"...

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

How many are drop shipped overseas?

All the drop shipping is done by the distributors...they do the legwork for Stern.

I look at automated, Marco, coin taker, game exchange, little shop of games, game room guys, great American pinball etc. are all sitting on inventory...all that inventory is fully paid to Stern. Risk sits on the distributors to sell the games.

#98 4 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

I hear that has changed recently (partially due to state tax changes/regulations?).

Makes sense, but if the distributors are taking $500 per game and Stern produces 15,000 games per year, that's $7,500,000 in Stern's "pocket" (per year).
    I'm not saying it's desirable for Stern to change it's model, but the current model isn't "free"...

That $7,500,000 isn’t worth it to them...otherwise, they would’ve nuked the distributor model. I can’t imagine what their costs would be to get that last bit. They would need to be a world wide distributor, with tens of thousands of customers, and taking on all the risk for unsold inventory.

That’s why their model makes sense. Only dozens of customers that need to pay in full.

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Almost every NIB I have ever bought drop shipped from manufacturer

There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pricing-on-nib-stern/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.