(Topic ID: 65058)

POLL ADDED!! - Best "Old School" SS Pin - Please Vote!

By Jags

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Acampero
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What is the Best "Old School" SS Pins with a standard flat playfield, no ramps, no toys, and no multi-ball?”

• Blackout 7 votes
    12%
  • Eight Ball Deluxe 20 votes
    33%
  • Seawitch 6 votes
    10%
  • Paragon 16 votes
    27%
  • Flash 3 votes
    5%
  • Gorgar 8 votes
    13%

(60 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

supersonic_playfield.jpg
star_ship.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jags.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

ADDED POLL INFORMATION:

The following "Old School" SS Pins that have a standard flat playfield, no ramps, no toys, and no multi-ball have had at least 2 responses in this thread. They have been chosen as the top candidates as the Best "Old School" Solid State Pin of all time! Please vote for your favorite!

Blackout

Quoted from gabegabegabe:

Really fast, goood flow, drop targets, 1st game w/lane change, 3 spinners! I don't think it has multiball.

Quoted from Gnatty:

Blackout is a great game, 3 spinners, 2 sets of 3 bank drops, 5 standups, 3 pops, lane change, a shutdown sequence, great flow with the orbit loop and some great early 80' s sound effects and speech. Great artwork as well.

Quoted from alveolus:

I'm really partial to Blackout due to cool space theme and art, awesome Defender era sounds, and unusual flow for the era. But the flowing shots really don't qualify as "old school" like EMs.

Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Blackout - Love the flow, spinner shots art and classic Williams sounds

Eight Ball Deluxe

Quoted from DaveH:

Eight Ball Deluxe. To me that was by far the best of the era. It just has "IT". It is simple to explain, simple to understand, and a total beast to tame. Look at the average sample, worn down to the wood. They got played and played back in the day.
But just being played a bunch doesn't answer the why. And the why is because of how hard it is, coupled with how lucrative. If you have a great game you can knock a bunch of free games out of it. But then it will chew through the ones it gave you and steal your lunch money. By then it is in your blood and you just want to feed the machine and hit the start button. Game after game will be so close to beating it, but you won't win. And if you do it will take it all back the next 10 games. And hope you never notice the backglass "DELUXE", because there are 3 free games waiting for you if you complete it, and 20 games later you will feel like a hero when you collect those 3 free ones. Knock knock... Who's there? EBD!

Quoted from GaryMartin:

I will second Eight Ball Deluxe for the reasons mentioned here. This is the pin that got me hooked on Pinball in the first place.

Quoted from Grossie:

I'll second Eight Ball Deluxe. Great game. Simple to understand the objectives. Keeps drawing you back because you are certain that you can do better the next time.

Quoted from nocreditdot:

EBD- Classic game.. Set the bar for years to come. Knocking down the racks to build bonus which carries over is a rush. Actually, maxxing out the bonus and playfield multipliers for 840K is very difficult to do. I have yet to do it on my game.

Quoted from snyper2099:

I would say EBD has held up the best along the lines of "timeless classic" and best early SS pinball. The reason is that it's easy to understand what you need to do. However, it is one of the most frustrating games every created from the player's perspective.

Quoted from PinKeeper:

I chose Eight Ball Deluxe because of the pool ball drop targets and inline bonus multiplier drop targets. EBD had nasty sling shots that would drain the ball to the out lanes in a blink of an eye and made ball control very difficult. At least for me. I played them all in the late 70's/80's/90's and EBD always kept me coming back for more and I wasn't alone.

Quoted from SunKing:

Eight Ball Deluxe - I have not played this since the early 80's, but I still remember enjoying it. That alone should tell you it's a good pin.

Quoted from JBK:

Eight Ball Deluxe - Great sound, theme and layout. Lots of bonus and carryover

Seawitch

it's just an all around fun game. Great sounds, artwork, lots of drop targets, interesting rules for bonus. It has 4 flippers each with it's own angles for each shot. My favorite shot is from the upper right flipper, sweeping the bank of 4 drops in the middle. The spinner shot is tough, but feels great when you nail it. I also like that the sounds of the spinner change, depending on how many of the inserts in front of it are lit.

Quoted from kennywawa:

I played Seawitch a little over a year ago. Since that game made me change my opinion on "old" games, it gets my vote for the best SS game. I find it fairly challenging to get 7x multiplier and keep racking up bonus points. As far as "slow and boring", a game where the key shots you have to make put the ball out of control making you have to recover every shot, instead of getting a nice easy feed off a ramp, is anything but slow and boring.

Sea Witch - Upper playfield with outer loops and inner pop nest with drops and stand ups is great.

Quoted from JBK:

Seawitch - Fastest playing early SS pin. Great art package, GIRLS, great machine to practice all kinds of shots.

Paragon

Quoted from Piparoo:

I'd also second Paragon-a beautiful machine.

Quoted from SunKing:

Paragon - LOVED the artwork, but didn't play it much back in the day because it was so hard. Now that I own it, I appreciate the challange.

Quoted from trilogybeer:

I'd say Paragon , interesting playfield layout that is challenging . Paragon also has the best artwork ever.

Quoted from JBK:

Paragon - Great widebody, art is top notch, girls on backglass

Flash

Flash has good flow, tough shots, and cool flashing effects. Great fun.

Quoted from SunKing:

Flash - This is the pin that started the addiction for me. I still remember the first time I played it and was BLOWN AWAY by the lights and sounds. It's the 1st pin with background sound and first with flasher lights.

Gorgar

Quoted from JohnDelNJ:

Gorgar, great artwork and heartbeat sounds.

Quoted from crassmage:

Gorgar, has that great art package and is a hard one for sure.

Quoted from crassmage:

Gorgar is just a sight to behold. Plays ok but keeps me coming back for more.

Quoted from GizzArd:

Gorgar..... Great theme to play on, sound fits, love the magnet in upper corner.

Quoted from SunKing:

Gorgar - another favorite from the arcade days. The heartbeat and other sounds were killer.

ORIGINAL POST:

We all know that with the advent of Solid State technology pinball was raised to another level. The early SS pins had the great "Old School" feel of their EM predecessors but could also take advantage of more in depth scoring schemes. But around 1985 things changed in that we saw a change in the playfield design with the addition of ramps and toys. We also saw multi-ball become part of almost every game. These things changed the way pinball was played and ushered in what I consider the "New School" era.

What I would like to discuss here are opinions on what SS Pins, most likely pre 1985, without toys, ramps, or multi-ball are considered the best. What would be considered the best of the "Old School" style flat playfield SS Pins that could be considered the crowning achievement of this style of Pinball Play?

Please be specific in your reasons why you chose a specific pin or pins. What makes its' layout and play the best representative of "Old School" Pin mastery? Does its' solid state technology bring it past others in the field while still maintaining the "Old School" charm? Does its' artwork stand way ahead of others? Or does it have an unsurpassed theme?

Remember we are looking to discuss SS Pins with a standard flat playfield, no ramps, no toys, and no multi-ball.

Which ones do you consider the best and why?!!!

#29 10 years ago

I just woke up and was greeted by all these great Pins of the early 80s!!! Thanks for the wonderful descriptions you all are offering!

The reason I restricted it to no multi-ball is that, even though there are a few "Old School" EM games that did have multi-ball, it was pretty unusual and mostly just a new fangled gimmick. Also I feel that multi-ball really takes away from the true game play. Multi-ball just creates a mess in my opinion!

So from what I've seen so far the top contenders are:

Blackout
Eight Ball Deluxe
Seawitch
Paragon
Meteor
Flash

Let's keep them coming as I'm sure there are some more great ones out there!!

Thanks!

#35 10 years ago

Well I'm going to chime in with one of my favorites. I do own it, I love the theme, and I really think the ball play has been underrated. My 1978 Bally Star Trek!

I always wonder why this pin is so underrated as far as the game play is concerned. The layout is different compared to anything else I've seen out there. But the rule set is still very easy to understand. There are numerous great shots and a good simple strategy with this pin.

The plunger shot brings you to the top of the play field with 2 rollover lanes and a saucer that will build your "BALLY" Bonus. This drops down into the Poppers which can direct the ball right back up to the lanes or saucer. Three stand ups on the right also help score the "BALLY" Bonus. The "Bally" Bonus is carried over for each ball. The four drop targets on the left are crucial as each time you complete the bank your bonus multiplier is increased up to a free ball. You also have an upper left lane shot that brings you back to the top of the play field but more important this shot scores increasing points that leads to a free ball. There are two roll over lanes on the left middle that also score extra points. And the best shot of all is the right side "Time Warp" shot that brings the ball back to the plunger. Making this shot scores your accumulated bonus points but does not reset them. If you can continue making this shot you can really rack up the points!!

The best strategy is to work the four drop targets to get your multiplier up to 3X and free ball. Then work the "Time Warp" shot to repeatedly collect the bonus. Along the way you can work the "BALLY" bonus and the upper left lane for extra points and a free ball. Fun, easy, and effective strategy to rack up the points. My best score turned over the pin with a final score of 1,456,270!!!

I really like the play of this pin and of course you can't beat the classic Star Trek theme!!

#37 10 years ago

Just love those Classic Game Room reviews!! Didn't realize that Supersonic is actually quite similar to Star Trek. Same color scheme, same sounds, and a very similar play field layout. Looks like a fun pin!

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

How close is Supersonic to Star Ship?

WOW!! It's exactly the same game! Interesting how Star Ship, which is really the first Star Trek pin made, ended up being Supersonic. Also the fact that Star Ship was an EM and Supersonic ended up being a SS pin. Too bad Star Ship never went into production as it would have been really great to have a Star Trek themed EM out there.

#54 10 years ago

Mike,

Can you please spell out the abbreviated pin names. Without the full names I really don't know the pins by just the abbreviations.

Thanks!

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I'd vote for Paragon, Flash, Eight Ball Deluxe

Quoted from sanctumwear:

Seawitch
Meteor
Joker Poker
Future Spa
Skateball
Blackout

Quoted from TheShameGovernor:

Paragon, EBD, Medusa...just pick a Bally from that era- they are all phenomenal tables. +1 to Seawitch and Meteor.

Quoted from o-din:

Joker Poker

Quoted from RWH:

Star Race, Paragon, Eight ball Deluxe.

Quoted from underdog:

Flash, ... meteor

Quoted from PinKeeper:

Eight Ball Deluxe

Posters above please explain why you consider these the best.

Posters above please follow the guidelines for your suggestions:

Quoted from Jags:

Please be specific in your reasons why you chose a specific pin or pins. What makes its' layout and play the best representative of "Old School" Pin mastery? Does its' solid state technology bring it past others in the field while still maintaining the "Old School" charm? Does its' artwork stand way ahead of others? Or does it have an unsurpassed theme?

Remember we are looking to discuss SS Pins with a standard flat playfield, no ramps, no toys, and no multi-ball.

#61 10 years ago

Based on the pins that have been mentioned more than once so far, the top contenders are:

Blackout
Eight Ball Deluxe
Seawitch
Paragon
Meteor
Flash
Gorgar
Joker Poker

Some of these have been mentioned a few times but no one has given any reasons why they think they are the best of the SS "Old School" pins based on the criteria I set forth. I am planning to add a poll to this thread tomorrow so that we can get some numbers behind these selections. But to make the poll the pin will need more than just one description why it's the best.

If you listed a pin without telling us why please do so. And if any of these pins are your favorites please tell us why they are the best.

Keep them coming!!

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from sysprog:

Because they're fun? This is just pinball after all...

Yes you are correct in that they are all fun. But I think you are missing the point of this thread. I'm trying to determine what would be the KING of the "Old School" SS Pins. The Best of the Best when it comes to SS Pins with a standard flat playfield, no ramps, no toys, and no multi-ball. The crowning achievement in Old School Pinology.

Quoted from sysprog:

Honorary mention to Black Hole since multiball is so dang hard to get

Sorry but Black Hole doesn't fit the criteria set forth. No multi-ball allowed.

Quoted from sysprog:

I vote for Meteor and EBD (have them) and Joker Poker (want to buy one!)

Please explain why you voted for these pins being the best.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from crassmage:

I like EBD too. Alien Poker is great too,

Can you be more specific?

#67 10 years ago

Thanks crassmage!

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Anyone mention Galaxy?

Tell us why you like Galaxy and why you consider it the best "Old School" SS pin.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from BoP:

Flash Gordon.

BoP,

Did you read the original post? It says:

Quoted from Jags:

Flash Gordon has ramps thus it's not considered as an "Old School" SS pin. It does not fit the criteria for this discussion. Sorry.

#78 10 years ago

Please remember we are looking to discuss SS Pins with a standard flat playfield, no ramps, no toys, and no multi-ball. Also I would like to read what your opinion regarding the pin is. Why would you consider it the best?

Quoted from Hellfire:

Best games of the early 80s
Centaur
Flash Gordon
Embryon
Fathom
Elektra
Vector

Sorry these games have ramps and or multi-ball thus they not considered as an "Old School" SS pin. It does not fit the criteria for this discussion. Sorry

Quoted from jlm33:

- Another vote for Medusa. Complex rules and beautiful artwork.

Not sure what to do with Medusa. Yes it fits the stated criteria but it is far from an "Old School" design.

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

Well if the crieria is so small You should eliminate the pre 85 SS in the title and relabel it Pre 1980 SS

I chose 1985 because I simply did not know exactly what year a non-ramp and non-multiball may have still been made. 1985 was my best educated guess. With the facts that have been gathered so far it does seem that 1980-81 would be a more accurate cut-off date. Plus it really doesn't matter if you read the original post and the detailed criteria that is stipulated there.

Quoted from Hellfire:

If this topic is limited to the flat boring SS or pretty much EM with digital displays I dont think any of them were realy great obsolutely not the best.

Yes I agree that limited to this "Old School" group of SS Pins with a standard flat playfield, no ramps, no toys, and no multi-ball, they are not going to be better than pins that did have those features during that time period. But again that is not the point. We are trying to determine which pin that IS limited to those criteria would be considered the best.

What I consider "Old School" pin design are those pins that have a standard flat playfield, no ramps, no toys, and no multi-ball. These types of pins still were being produced at the beginning of the solid state era. I just want to determine which solid state pin with an Old School design would be considered the best.

Hope that clarifies things for those of you that don't seem to get it.

Quoted from Hellfire:

If you want to get technical Medusa fits the criteria you asked for and so does Spectrum like it or not.

Medusa and Spectrum look like great pins and yes they do fit the criteria. So why don't you give us some detailed reasons why you would consider these to be the best? Perhaps their advanced use of the technology available to them at that time will put them on the top.

#83 10 years ago

Jag created a topic that was good in concept, and the sucked the life out of it with a bunch of stipulations.

The problem is NOT my topic, the concept, or the stipulations I attached. My original post is VERY CLEAR in it's description and explanation of what I wanted to achieve with this thread.

The BIG problem here is that some of you simply DID NOT READ the original post!! You could at least read the original post before making your own post based on incorrect assumptions. You can't put everything in a title. And to reply to a thread simply based on the title without reading the original post is the easiest way to make yourself look foolish.

Remember the old saying: When you ASSUME You make an ASS out of U and ME!!!

#86 10 years ago

Snyper2099,

Thanks for the great post with all that info. It really helps narrow down some of the top pins that would fit the "Old School" criteria I have set forth. I just wish that we could get some more input from fellow pinsiders on why these pins were great.

Fellow Pinsiders! Please look through the pins mentioned below and give us your opinions on which ones you think are the best! And if you have any other great "Old School" SS Pins that you think should be added to the list please let us know and tell us why.

Blackout
Eight Ball Deluxe
Seawitch
Paragon
Meteor
Flash
Gorgar
Joker Poker
Evel Knievel
Medusa

#88 10 years ago

PinKeeper,

Great response!! Thanks!

#94 10 years ago

Thanks TheShameGovernor and kennywawa for both of your great discourses!

Quoted from swf127:

Eight Ball Deluxe and Paragon

swf127, can you please elaborate why you chose Eight Ball Deluxe and Paragon?

Quoted from zarco:

Aw come on guys. Black Hole wins this competition hands down.
Why? Two levels, speech and possibly the best (and hardest to get)
mutliball of this era.

Hey zarco, did you read the criteria set forth in the original post? Black hole does not qualify for this discussion because it DOES have multi levels and multi ball!!

Quoted from zarco:

spiderman and Sinbad would be my next choices.

These 2 pins do qualify. Can you share with us why you think they are so great?

Quoted from GizzArd:

After that sea witch then flash. I love me some flash.

Please elaborate if you can. Thanks!

#95 10 years ago

Here is an update on the list. Each of these pins has been mentioned at least twice. But some of them have not had any discussion presented why they should be chosen as the best. Without any discussion they will not be included in the upcoming poll.

Blackout
Eight Ball Deluxe
Seawitch
Paragon
Meteor
Flash
Gorgar
Joker Poker
Evel Knievel
Medusa
Sinbad
Big Game
Skateball
Genie

Please look through the pins mentioned above and give us your opinions on which ones you think are the best! And if you have any other great "Old School" SS Pins that you think should be added to the list please let us know and tell us why.

FYI: I checked the IPDB and there were over 300 SS pins made before 1981 that did not have ramps or multi-ball!!

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

Too bad there are no games with the word Star in them present.

I've been through that quest many many times!!

#101 10 years ago
Quoted from KenH:

Speakeasy meets your criteria and has some features that make it unique and fun.

WOW!! What a cool pin! Knew that there must have been something out there that was made past 1981 and fit the criteria. Very interesting and unique. Thanks for sharing!

#102 10 years ago
Quoted from SchertzPinball:

I didn't read all the responses, so maybe someone else said this already. Just because it has multiball shouldn't rule out a game as not old school. There are EM multiball pins out there. Nip It being one.

I addressed this matter earlier in the thread but I will elaborate some more here. Checking the IPDB website there were over 3,545 EM machines made. Only 17 of them had multiball. That is less than 1/2 percent!! Multiball was just a "gimmick" added to a very few EM machines and thus I do not consider it as a part of what makes a pin "Old School". To me "Old School" is based on working ONE ball through a simple flat playfield with no ramps or toys.

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Call it, "Name your favorite SS pins from 1976-1981 (with no multiball or ramp)", and be crystal clear about the parameters.

-mof

mof,

I did some more research and there are SS pins that fit the parameters I stipulated going all the way up to 1988. So limiting it to 1981 would have left out a lot of pins. My cut off was "around 1985" and that was just a guess and I was off also. I did change the title to hopefully alleviate any more confusion and my parameters were always stated crystal clear since my first post.

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I didn't think this was an Easter Egg hunt to find duds after 1981 with these criteria.

I don't understand why something so simple is so hard for some of you to understand. All I'm trying to do here is discuss SS Pins with a standard flat playfield, no ramps, no toys, and no multi-ball and then try to determine which ones are considered the best and why. Any sort of date doesn't even mater. We are not looking to discuss the best pin in a certain time frame, we are looking to discuss the best pin with a certain criteria. I originally put the 1985 date in because I already knew that people wouldn't read the original post and suggest pins like MM and STTNG. And, as we continue to see, a lot of people are not reading the original post and are putting up all kinds of suggestions that don't fit the criteria. The problem is not what I posted. The problem is the fact that people JUST DON"T READ what I did originally post.

Quoted from mof:

Also, as the OP, do you have the power to remove all the games that were added that do not meet the criteria?

Simple answer YES!! As the original poster I have a reason for this thread. I outlined the criteria for the discussion. It is my responsibility to maintain control of the thread and not let it go off in a direction not intended. If you or others don't like or agree with the criteria I set forth, you can always go start your own thread that may better reflect what you have in your mind as the discussion point.

As we continue to see with Pinballgeek's post just before this one, people obviously are not reading the original post. Pinballgeek named a pin with multiball and didn't provide any reasons why he chose that pin. From here on out I will simply ignore any posts that don't follow what I asked to be discussed in the original post.

I see this so often in many of the threads on this and other forums. People post a response to a thread that is often totally off base showing that they never even read the original post or they post a one word answer that doesn't add anything to the overall discussion. It's truly amazing how LAZY some people are. Can't even take the time to read the thread or write something constructive!

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

That sounds great. Now, if you choose, you can actually reduce more confusion permanently from your thread by using your gardening skills. Head right up to the top of the thread, and remove the games up there that don't fit your criteria. (The list off to the right). People are going to continue to "read into" that list (and not read your un-bulleted list of requirements) and see all the games with multiball and add more games with multiball.
enjoy!
-mof

Thank you for that suggestion. I did not realize that I could go there and remove any thing from that list. I will do that shortly. EDIT: I just tried to remove the incorrect pins but I cannot remove a pin that someone else put up there. Only the moderators can do that.

Better, make the title of the thread more accurate a description to what the topic is:
"Best SS pins prior to Flash that are just slightly off being Electro Mechanicals".

I'm sorry but that title makes absolutely no sense to me and is way too long. It also does not clearly relate to the criteria I am looking for. I know that there are pins that fit my criteria that were made after Flash. And also what does "slightly off being Electro Mechanicals" really mean? The title as it now reads is very accurate and nice and short. If someone doesn't know what "Old School" means they can read the original post as it is described there very clearly. Everyone should be reading the original post anyways before posting something themselves, and if they don't, they will show their foolishness with posting something that doesn't relate correctly to the discussion.

#113 10 years ago

OK, Here is the compiled list with descriptive posts for all the pins that were mentioned at least twice. As you can see there are some pins that were mentioned at least twice but still do not have at least 2 reasons why posted. They will be eliminated from the upcoming poll if no one gives a description why they should be considered as the best SS Pin with a standard flat playfield, no ramps, no toys, and no multi-ball.

Also, if you have any other pins that fit the criteria and you would like to see included, please tell us which pin and provide a reason why you think it's the Best "Old School" SS Pin with a standard flat playfield, no ramps, no toys, and no multi-ball.

Thanks!

Blackout

Really fast, goood flow, drop targets, 1st game w/lane change, 3 spinners! I don't think it has multiball.

Quoted from Gnatty:

Blackout is a great game, 3 spinners, 2 sets of 3 bank drops, 5 standups, 3 pops, lane change, a shutdown sequence, great flow with the orbit loop and some great early 80' s sound effects and speech. Great artwork as well.

Quoted from alveolus:

I'm really partial to Blackout due to cool space theme and art, awesome Defender era sounds, and unusual flow for the era. But the flowing shots really don't qualify as "old school" like EMs.

Blackout - Love the flow, spinner shots art and classic Williams sounds

Eight Ball Deluxe

Quoted from DaveH:

Eight Ball Deluxe. To me that was by far the best of the era. It just has "IT". It is simple to explain, simple to understand, and a total beast to tame. Look at the average sample, worn down to the wood. They got played and played back in the day.
But just being played a bunch doesn't answer the why. And the why is because of how hard it is, coupled with how lucrative. If you have a great game you can knock a bunch of free games out of it. But then it will chew through the ones it gave you and steal your lunch money. By then it is in your blood and you just want to feed the machine and hit the start button. Game after game will be so close to beating it, but you won't win. And if you do it will take it all back the next 10 games. And hope you never notice the backglass "DELUXE", because there are 3 free games waiting for you if you complete it, and 20 games later you will feel like a hero when you collect those 3 free ones. Knock knock... Who's there? EBD!

Quoted from GaryMartin:

I will second Eight Ball Deluxe for the reasons mentioned here. This is the pin that got me hooked on Pinball in the first place.

Quoted from Grossie:

I'll second Eight Ball Deluxe. Great game. Simple to understand the objectives. Keeps drawing you back because you are certain that you can do better the next time.

Quoted from nocreditdot:

EBD- Classic game.. Set the bar for years to come. Knocking down the racks to build bonus which carries over is a rush. Actually, maxxing out the bonus and playfield multipliers for 840K is very difficult to do. I have yet to do it on my game.

Quoted from snyper2099:

I would say EBD has held up the best along the lines of "timeless classic" and best early SS pinball. The reason is that it's easy to understand what you need to do. However, it is one of the most frustrating games every created from the player's perspective.

Quoted from PinKeeper:

I chose Eight Ball Deluxe because of the pool ball drop targets and inline bonus multiplier drop targets. EBD had nasty sling shots that would drain the ball to the out lanes in a blink of an eye and made ball control very difficult. At least for me. I played them all in the late 70's/80's/90's and EBD always kept me coming back for more and I wasn't alone.

Quoted from SunKing:

Eight Ball Deluxe - I have not played this since the early 80's, but I still remember enjoying it. That alone should tell you it's a good pin.

Seawitch

it's just an all around fun game. Great sounds, artwork, lots of drop targets, interesting rules for bonus. It has 4 flippers each with it's own angles for each shot. My favorite shot is from the upper right flipper, sweeping the bank of 4 drops in the middle. The spinner shot is tough, but feels great when you nail it. I also like that the sounds of the spinner change, depending on how many of the inserts in front of it are lit.

Quoted from kennywawa:

I played Seawitch a little over a year ago. Since that game made me change my opinion on "old" games, it gets my vote for the best SS game. I find it fairly challenging to get 7x multiplier and keep racking up bonus points. As far as "slow and boring", a game where the key shots you have to make put the ball out of control making you have to recover every shot, instead of getting a nice easy feed off a ramp, is anything but slow and boring.

Sea Witch - Upper playfield with outer loops and inner pop nest with drops and stand ups is great.

Paragon

Quoted from Piparoo:

I'd also second Paragon-a beautiful machine.

Quoted from SunKing:

Paragon - LOVED the artwork, but didn't play it much back in the day because it was so hard. Now that I own it, I appreciate the challange.

Meteor

Lots of drop targets, ability to sweep 1 or two banks at once. interesting rules with the aligning of the rockets. tough spinner bank shot which is really fun. Plus, the sound gets faster the longer you play, makes your heart pump.

Flash

Flash has good flow, tough shots, and cool flashing effects. Great fun.

Quoted from SunKing:

Flash - This is the pin that started the addiction for me. I still remember the first time I played it and was BLOWN AWAY by the lights and sounds. It's the 1st pin with background sound and first with flasher lights.

Gorgar

Quoted from JohnDelNJ:

Gorgar, great artwork and heartbeat sounds.

Quoted from crassmage:

Gorgar, has that great art package and is a hard one for sure.

Quoted from crassmage:

Gorgar is just a sight to behold. Plays ok but keeps me coming back for more.

Quoted from GizzArd:

Gorgar..... Great theme to play on, sound fits, love the magnet in upper corner.

Quoted from SunKing:

Gorgar - another favorite from the arcade days. The heartbeat and other sounds were killer.

Joker Poker

Quoted from EchoVictor:

I'm a big fan of Joker Poker, due to the combination of the target layout and approachability of the rules.
Ball 1 = 10 card = 1 drop target
Ball 2 = Jacks = 2 drop target bank
Ball 3 = Queens = 3 drop target bank
Ball 4 = Kings = 4 drop target bank
Ball 5 = Aces = 5 drop target bank
Pure elegant simplicity. Who needs a rule card? The machine itself makes it obvious what to shoot for, and when.

Evel Knievel

Quoted from TonyH:

For me it has to be Evil Knievel. Solid state with chimes and great art work.

Medusa

Quoted from jlm33:

Another vote for Medusa. Complex rules and beautiful artwork.

Sinbad

Quoted from Pafasa:

I'd throw a vote toward Sinbad. The spinner shot that flows up between the pops and the 4 banks of targets as your bonus multiplier make it fun and challenging. Plus, the chimes really help it keep the EM charm

Big Game

Quoted from Garak:

I really enjoy Stern's Big Game. Interesting rules, a widebody, and some neat art. I'm pretty partial to any of those early Sterns.

Skateball

Genie

Quoted from SunKing:

Genie - I love the classic Gottlieb art work, it has more drop targets than most, and FIVE flippers!

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I'd put in a support ticket for that. That's absurd if you can't edit your own thread. Hopefully Robin can fix that.
-mof

Good idea. Thanks!

#116 10 years ago

I'll give another 24 hours for any more additions and comments. I'll then put up a poll so that we can get some numbers.

Thanks!

#120 10 years ago

Poll will go up soon. Last chance!

#125 10 years ago

The Poll has been added! Please see poll information now posted in the first post of the thread. Please vote!!

#127 10 years ago
Quoted from Piparoo:

Why only those machines in the poll again?

Please take the time to read the thread. It's all there.

#129 10 years ago

First of all you can only put 10 items in a poll. There were more than that mentioned so all cannot be put in the poll. I had to make a determination on what pins would make the cut and the best was to give those with at least two descriptions be in the poll. Second it is my thread and I can set the criteria as I please. If you would like some other criteria you can start your own thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vaudreuil-dorion, QC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jags.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pre-1985-ss-pins-whats-your-opinion?tu=jags and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.